Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Better seige battles!! (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185)

SPARROW94 01-29-2008 10:15 PM

Better seige battles!!

Your vote!!

WARHAMMER BATTLE MARCH

DAWN OF FANTASY

Darvin 01-29-2008 11:35 PM

You can't make a judgment like that without playing the game.

monsterfurby 01-30-2008 05:40 AM

What Darvin said. I really don't care about the graphics, only if they are immediately connected to the feeling of a siege battle. For example, a siege battle should rage on the walls, inside the towers, in front of the walls, in the city - simply everywhere. It should look chaotic and require proper preparation. Not as in BFME for example, where it was more like "bunch of units walking into other bunch of units in the middle of a camp slowly draining each other's health bars"...

I say: wait till you see the gameplay.

Edit: PS: The DoF screen does not even show a siege battle..

SPARROW94 01-30-2008 07:39 AM

Thee leads to the idea of making videos!!!
besiesboth of these RTS games are unreleased

Darvin 01-30-2008 01:45 PM

Point is, I could put a screenshot from BFME there and people who haven't played would say "wow, that looks like an awesome siege battle". Of course, BFME flopped, and horribly. Looks can be deceiving; it's all about gameplay in the end, and we can't really make a judgment of either game in that regard yet.

Jean=A=Luc 01-30-2008 03:10 PM

Well, sieges are an important aspect of both games so I expect they'll be pretty well done in either of them. So far DoF seams more interesting because it has "original" siege weapons like plant based siege ladders for Elves that sprout out of the ground and grow upwards towards the ramparts (don't know if this has been changed) or living siege towers/battering rams in the form of Trees of War + it's an RTS with an economy and units building so battles/sieges don't come down to just a single engagement.
When that first fantasy Warhammer game (forgot the exact name) came out I thought it was going to be similar to Total War games and was disappointed with that linear RPG-esque campaign, and this isn't going to change in Battle March or so I've read.

The Witch King of Angmar 01-30-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darvin (Post 4146)
Point is, I could put a screenshot from BFME there and people who haven't played would say "wow, that looks like an awesome siege battle". Of course, BFME flopped, and horribly. Looks can be deceiving; it's all about gameplay in the end, and we can't really make a judgment of either game in that regard yet.

Yeah remember how cool those Mountain Giants looked siegin that Dwarven base. Lol what a shame. :(

Konstantin Fomenko 01-30-2008 07:37 PM

I spent quite a few hours both with BftME and Warhammer sieges. Neither impressed me even a bit. With our approach to siege we tried to avoid all the pit-falls of these games. Games like Stronghold 1, and Rome:TW were our inspiration.

I think we might be allowed to post a siege video soon. Should clear this question.

Jean=A=Luc 01-31-2008 07:30 AM

Ahh, nothing quite beats the feeling of having pressured a developer into releasing a video. :p

frankein_fish 01-31-2008 12:00 PM

lol, i agree :D