Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It seems like from what im reading, the orcs are a little Underpowered. (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1842)

Gwydion 12-04-2010 11:26 PM

It seems like from what im reading, the orcs are a little Underpowered.
 
So I understand how humans work- great tech, economy, and legions of people in armor.

Elves are great archers and spellcasters.

Now the orcs i have read about they are supposed to have nasty (really strong) troops, a weak economy, and crappy castles.

Recently ive been seeing a few poeple post that the orcs really don't have a unit that is stronger than the other races besides like the ogre i think its called.

If the orcs castles and economy is crap which is a HUDGE setback especially with the economy part, there rank and file orc should at least be a little stronger than his mirror unit for the humans and the same except the archers for elves

Benighted 12-05-2010 04:52 AM

could any developer provide clearer analysis concerning this issue?

Alex Walz 12-05-2010 11:44 AM

The orcs are the favorite faction of many of the devs, including myself.

While most of their units are weaker than those of the other races, this is made up for in the sheer size of their force. Individual orc battalions are larger and orcs typically have a greater population count - not to mention that laborers and marauders train automatically for no resources. The ogre is the most powerful non-merc unit in the game and can wipe out entire battalions of men or elves. The berserker is another really powerful orc unit that, in large numbers, can devastate an army. Their ranged units aren't quite up to par, but they're meant to be a great offensive horde, not an organized defense.

Crappy castles... not true. Granted that some features such as additional counter-siege mechanisms and larger gatehouses haven't been implemented yet for the orcs and elves, the orcs still have strong walls with spiked gates that will kill anyone they fall on.

Economy... early game, it's great. They're nomads and hunters. And when they run out of wild deer, they can build a warg farm which will automatically train free wargs that the orcs can raise as livestock. They may pick up trading later in the game but overall, they have a pretty balanced economy.

Nimlot 12-05-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Walz (Post 36761)
Their ranged units aren't quite up to par, but they're meant to be a great offensive horde, not an organized defense.

Economy... early game, it's great. They're nomads and hunters. And when they run out of wild deer, they can build a warg farm which will automatically train free wargs that the orcs can raise as livestock. They may pick up trading later in the game but overall, they have a pretty balanced economy.



First there you say their ranged units arent as good as the rest, but the info i read about the forest orcs is that they have good archers. Does this mean those orcs actually have good archers or just "good for orcs"?
Its hard to interpret when they have a bonus to something they are really bad at from the start

And about their economy, some people theorize they will be dedicated rushers and if men/elves survive the start of a game they will stomp the orc with their greater economy later. Can you please confirm this is not the case? ;)

Marcos182 12-05-2010 04:23 PM

Will the orcs have cavalry? like Warg riders?

I'm sure they have to have some sort of fast unit, but will they be a bit slower? since they already have the large numbers and will pretty much rely on overwhelming other races, I think their cavalry or fast unit should be either slower or signifantly weaker then other cavalry

evilwithin 12-05-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcos182 (Post 36813)
Will the orcs have cavalry? like Warg riders?

yes their mele units can mount their wargs which thay breed

Aothane 12-05-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimlot
And about their economy, some people theorize they will be dedicated rushers and if men/elves survive the start of a game they will stomp the orc with their greater economy later. Can you please confirm this is not the case?

my guess would be that rather than an all-or-nothing rush strategy, the essential idea would be for the Orcs to (more capably) apply pressure in the early stages of a game. As long as they can make reasonable use of these particular advantages the Orc player is utilising their faction's strengths appropriately. Where expecting to match other armies in their key and defining abilities would obviously be less than judiciously balanced.

for myself I am a little dissapointed to hear that Elves are primarily defensive, which is not typical of my style; although of course defence has it's necessary place and time in the course of battle.

-Sigma- 12-05-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwydion (Post 36561)
So I understand how humans work- great tech, economy, and legions of people in armor.

Elves are great archers and spellcasters.

Now the orcs i have read about they are supposed to have nasty (really strong) troops, a weak economy, and crappy castles.

Recently ive been seeing a few poeple post that the orcs really don't have a unit that is stronger than the other races besides like the ogre i think its called.

If the orcs castles and economy is crap which is a HUDGE setback especially with the economy part, there rank and file orc should at least be a little stronger than his mirror unit for the humans and the same except the archers for elves

As silly as this might sound, think of the orcs as the Zerg from Starcraft. In the essence of being deadly in large numbers.

The key with orcs it seems is just tactically using them, rather then throwing endless numbers offensively, strategy will really come into play. I think that if Orc players are very tactical and micro well that they will be pretty hard to stop.

whitewing91 12-05-2010 07:43 PM

another zerg :( Orcs should be more powerful than that

shawnchi 12-05-2010 07:46 PM

You'd think they'd have strong castles :\

Yes They are underpowered.. Pity, orcs are my favorite D:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2001-2011 Reverie World Studios INC. All Rights Reserved.