Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   stop hacking down my wall! (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817)

Vigilus 11-27-2010 11:48 PM

stop hacking down my wall!

So i've played a few games that allowed players to use melee units, say swordsmen, to just hack down the walls without the help of siege units. I'm referring to the stronghold series here, and it really kills the feeling of having strong walls when a dude with a sword runs up and starts hacking madly at the stone. I mean come on! :)

I hope that this won't be implemented into the game.

Toth 11-28-2010 04:40 AM

I agree, it breaks immersion completely and is a major source of frustration for ALOT of players I can imagine. However, in return there should be plenty of siege weapons, including wooden stairs, throughout the entire game. So you'll have to be able to build siege weapons almost from the start. Otherwise the game would be extremely dull.

nickson104 11-28-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigilus (Post 35924)
So i've played a few games that allowed players to use melee units, say swordsmen, to just hack down the walls without the help of siege units. I'm referring to the stronghold series here, and it really kills the feeling of having strong walls when a dude with a sword runs up and starts hacking madly at the stone. I mean come on! :)

It is not, Reverie realised that while that would be the easy thing to do, it makes no logical sense. In order to assault a stronghold you have to have a siege unit, or oversized one if i remember rightly (ogres/dragons).

It was annoying when you have your walls, but then they are ripped down by a mob of peasants wielding pitchforks... Not quite the image you want for your unconquerable city...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toth (Post 35933)
I agree, it breaks immersion completely and is a major source of frustration for ALOT of players I can imagine. However, in return there should be plenty of siege weapons, including wooden stairs, throughout the entire game. So you'll have to be able to build siege weapons almost from the start. Otherwise the game would be extremely dull.

Siege weapons will be important, however you can buy them at mercenary camps or create your own. Also some quests may provide some as a reward, especially early on with the starter quests. The games economy revolves greatly around quests and resources, specifically gold. Gold is the standard resource, all the others are more specific, gold is currency, trade will be important in the game. Gold can buy you a number of units at mercenary camps, and prepare you for more questing or a siege, to gain you more resources!!!

lonewolf9567 11-28-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigilus (Post 35924)

Dude in stronghold, which i actually think is realistic.

Wood = Cuttable

Stone = not cuttable

szebus 11-28-2010 09:05 AM

At least in Stronghold you can't arrow down a wall.

jleem21 11-28-2010 11:26 AM

lol I remember that from Stronghold...Swordsmen hacking down at my walls and towers, witnessing a long crackle travel from the root to the roof always left me like. "..wtf?!" Glad to know that you their be no successful sieges consisting of nothing but standard melee units, successful only because of their mass numbers.

Nermal 11-29-2010 01:44 AM

Surely hope theres no way a swordsman can hack through a wall, wood or stone....... Come on maybe a sword can bite on a wood palisade, but hell i dont see my men hack and slash a wooden wall and then male stroll to the blacksmith a hour after saying hey sharpen my sword again please:rolleyes:

Andy Joslin 11-29-2010 07:38 AM

Only siege engines can get through walls, don't worry:)

raizun 11-29-2010 08:04 AM

Yes, stronghold was cool and all but I'd prefer not to be destroyed by swordsmen! +1 for siege engines.

lonewolf9567 11-29-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raizun (Post 35995)
Yes, stronghold was cool and all but I'd prefer not to be destroyed by swordsmen! +1 for siege engines.

yeah i just realized what he meant was stronghold 1.

I agree its pretty lame that swords would knock down strong walls