Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A little question! (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16)

Ndition 05-20-2007 10:17 AM

A little question!

Hello, How does the building work, will it be like stronghold and Medieval Lords?

How many walls can you build around your castle/town and are you able to see some npcs walking around in your castle or town like go to the market or anything like that? :D

Konstantin Fomenko 05-22-2007 01:13 PM

Hi Ndition,

Welcome to our forums, and to answer your questions:

Quote:

Hello, How does the building work, will it be like stronghold and Medieval Lords?
Every race has a different approach to building their castle. So I`ll give example from our human race. Building your castle will be a hybrid from games like Battle for Middle Earth - I, and Stronghold. Complexity of Stronghold with the easy to use interface which evolved from BftME-1.

Quote:

How many walls can you build around your castle/town?
Again example from human race - 2 layers of stone walls, with a layer of palisade wall on top.

Quote:

And are you able to see some npcs walking around in your castle or town like go to the market or anything like that?
You will see your NPCs walking, building, repairing, running in terror, and hiding inside the houses shall the enemy attack.

Ndition 05-22-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 119)
Hi Ndition,

Welcome to our forums, and to answer your questions:

Every race has a different approach to building their castle. So I`ll give example from our human race. Building your castle will be a hybrid from games like Battle for Middle Earth - I, and Stronghold. Complexity of Stronghold with the easy to use interface which evolved from BftME-1.

Again example from human race - 2 layers of stone walls, with a layer of palisade wall on top.

You will see your NPCs walking, building, repairing, running in terror, and hiding inside the houses shall the enemy attack.

That's amazing can't wait to try this game, and another question when do you accept pre-orders and will there be any collectors edition? :P

Silent_Lamb 05-22-2007 09:21 PM

I know you said that every race differs in how their castle is built.

But that sort of worries me (I'm a worry wart.) The running in terror part that is, I remember playing a game where you could choose several different civilization types. Human, robot, alien. Then you could go on a planet you controlled and see how people felt about you, well it didn't quite make sense to me that for the human race. You would see "Bob: Our emperor is a pretty nice person" and then for the alien or robot race "Dave: Our emperor is doing a good job."

I hope I don't see Orcs running in terror, less they be the type of orc that runs in terror when attacked:eek: .

Darvin 05-23-2007 12:39 AM

There are really two models of society in this context, agrarian and hunter-gatherer. In agrarian societies, people tend to have more specialized roles. Farmers and labourers have no combat training and are quite defenceless in that situation, whereas soldiers are often professionals (or caste members, such as knights) who exist for that sole purpose. In a hunter-gatherer society, every person has a rudimentry knowledge of all aspects of life. In peace time, everyone works to gather food and support the society. In war time, practically every male can be counted on to fight, and do so well.

The question is, are orcs agrarian or hunter-gatherer? If they're agrarian, then labourers would certainly panic, as they have no combat skills. If they're hunter-gatherer, then the labourers would take up arms to defend themselves. I don't think Tolkien style orcs could possibly appease the hunter-gatherer model, since such a society could not afford to sustain heavy casualties. Battles of attrician seem to be an underlying motif in orc strategies (which DoF will probably adhere to), hence I believe they MUST be an agrarian society. Therefor, there should be panicking orcs in their settlements.

Of course, I could be looking a bit too deeply into the matter ^_^

Silent_Lamb 05-23-2007 09:18 PM

Well from reading up on their Orcs, their very war like. Beastly.

Even if some Orc's were tasked at gathering food, lumber, ect, I see them roaring in rage and charging at the enemy. Beast like, no fear even if they have no weapons.

Konstantin Fomenko 05-24-2007 09:13 AM

Couple of facts to consider about our Orcs race. This should hint at their society.

Orcs don`t have a "peasant unit", most of their units can gather resources - warriors can chop trees or build forward bases. And their archers are best hunters in-game.

More ever, Orcs don`t mind human or elven flesh, and a huge Dragon is even a better dinner.

Orcs are also great as "recycling" enemy structures they destroy.

And lets not forget that DoF "recylcing economy" also allows collecting gold/wood from corpses/destroyed siege weapons.

This way a huge Orcish army can pretty much sustain itself. To some extent you can view Orcish army on a move, as a resource gathering operation.

And yes - Orcs race is the first choice for aggressive player.

Darvin 05-24-2007 01:47 PM

That's hunter-gatherer, without a doubt.

Sounds like we'll be getting a rather feral faction out of these guys.

Ndition 05-24-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 127)
Couple of facts to consider about our Orcs race. This should hint at their society.

Orcs don`t have a "peasant unit", most of their units can gather resources - warriors can chop trees or build forward bases. And their archers are best hunters in-game.

More ever, Orcs don`t mind human or elven flesh, and a huge Dragon is even a better dinner.

Orcs are also great as "recycling" enemy structures they destroy.

And lets not forget that DoF "recylcing economy" also allows collecting gold/wood from corpses/destroyed siege weapons.

This way a huge Orcish army can pretty much sustain itself. To some extent you can view Orcish army on a move, as a resource gathering operation.

And yes - Orcs race is the first choice for aggressive player.

What about the other races?

SPARROW94 05-28-2007 03:28 PM

yeah it would be nice if i could learn more about elves, and dragons