Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question About Models (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589)

WilsonMG 07-08-2010 12:39 PM

Question About Models

So I've noticed this in other games as well, but after watching the 2010 Gameplay Video, I just have to satisfy my own curiosity.

Why all the left-handed models, i.e. shield in the right hand? Shield in the left, weapon in the right is the way melee armies traditionally fought since antiquity, regardless of which hand you were dominant with. Phalanxes wouldn't have worked if they'd let the south-paw do his own thing...

I've seen this is DoF and a few other games, and for some reason drives me crazy.

Puppeteer 07-08-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilsonMG (Post 32752)
So I've noticed this in other games as well, but after watching the 2010 Gameplay Video, I just have to satisfy my own curiosity.

Why all the left-handed models, i.e. shield in the right hand? Shield in the left, weapon in the right is the way melee armies traditionally fought since antiquity, regardless of which hand you were dominant with. Phalanxes wouldn't have worked if they'd let the south-paw do his own thing...

I've seen this is DoF and a few other games, and for some reason drives me crazy.

If they're all fighting left-handed in a regiment, where's the problem?

Alex Walz 07-08-2010 01:10 PM

Heh, this was discussed in the RSP and I didn't even notice it before then. :p IIRC, Joe, one of our lead devs, said it was just an engine glitch long over-due for a fix. ;)

WilsonMG 07-08-2010 01:27 PM

Also a peeve of mine when archers draw with their weak arm. It's my anal-retentive nature. Some might call it OCD, Marines call it discipline. ;)

Thanks for the answer!

Yami-Yagari 07-08-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilsonMG (Post 32752)

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilsonMG (Post 32757)
Also a peeve of mine when archers draw with their weak arm. It's my anal-retentive nature. Some might call it OCD, Marines call it discipline. ;)

Thanks for the answer!

Wauw, you really have an eye for detail. :eek:

Andy Joslin 07-08-2010 05:25 PM

Who is to say that in the universe of Mythador, the widely preferred arm for everyone is the left hand, and right handers aren't the outcasts? ;)

FishMG 07-08-2010 08:12 PM

hehe, nice!!!!

NanceeJones 08-03-2010 05:03 PM

Well I'm left handed and even though the vast majority of the world is right handed, I still think you shouldn't outcast lefties from this game.. Maybe the universe this game takes place in should have all left and no right.. or if you were right handed (my mother always told me this) they'd make you be left handed and discipline you for not being the same as the rest (well she said left hand to right but that was in this universe.. thank god its not like that today!!)

blackfang 08-04-2010 12:30 AM

you should only make the special units and high lvl infantry use left handed. The lower units can use right handed:)

Gruber12 08-04-2010 03:57 AM

its a cunning plan to throw the other armies off guard :rolleyes: