Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Some desired features (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142)

†TYRANICK†™ 10-25-2007 10:31 AM

Some desired features

From the looks of it there seems to be a lot about this game im looking forward to such as the weather, moddabilty, campaign etc but there's some things which i would love to see, or would request (maybe for a mod or w/e)

Unit/race/building advantages/disadv per time of day or conditions, for example night time, more stealthy, rainy less accuracy, meteors/earthquakes, well general death and "demoralization" of sorts

Destructable land :D

Hero units: Are there any? If so it would lead onto my next idea of

A hero mode: Much like the game "rise and fall" i loved the hero mod perspective so much i was in it like 70% of the time in a battle :D!

Also when is the expected release date?

Enviromental effects linked with weather would nice, earthquakes etc, meteors :D

But yeah...im looking forward to it =]

Ryan Zelazny 10-25-2007 10:55 AM

Some good ideas Tyranick,

You will some races do better in certain lights, and weather effects than others, and certain ones do worse. Even more so, there will be different effects for different unit types as well, for example, a heavily armored unit like the Human Thane is going to be hindered more by snow, than say an archer who is lighty armored.

Destructible land is something I wish we could put in, and it's something we've experimented with, but the strains it puts on system resources are just too great at the moment. We'll have to wait for DoF2 to have this feature put in, when hardware is readily available that could handle it.

We do have Hero units, in the single player campaign you will have heroes for each of the races. In the MMO version of DoF, you will actually get to create a hero to represent your army.

I personally haven't played Rise & Fall, so this mod isn't something i'm familiar with, if you could explain the concept I might be able to answer the question.

Expected release date is Q1 2008.

Environmental effects will happen with certain weather conditions, or some will be magically induced.

Glad your looking forward to it!

The Witch King of Angmar 10-25-2007 01:09 PM

Welcome to the forums. As you can see Ryan has already answered all your questions.

†TYRANICK†™ 10-25-2007 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Zelazny (Post 3044)
Some good ideas Tyranick,

I personally haven't played Rise & Fall, so this mod isn't something i'm familiar with, if you could explain the concept I might be able to answer the question.

Thanks, game looks great, thanks for the response.

Oh as for the concept, basically you have hero unit for example...cleopatra in this case, she has a set amount of stamina, upon a certain amount u press a button and the game zoom down to floor level and puts here for use in 3rd person view, this way you have control over her melee as ranged weaponry (and she has commands to control an army you create from buildings with some simple commands on keyboard keys, acting like a 3rd person melee mode she has hightend abilities whilst you control her and you army in this view), as time goes on she levels up and gets more weapons/hp/abilities the usual stuff, it is very fun, best feature of the game.

Wow q1 08? heh, and to think gameplay vids are from like 06.

None the less, cant wait for release (and to start modding lol) :D

Ryan Zelazny 10-25-2007 06:28 PM

DoF has actually been in development since 2001, we've come a long way!

Most people on the forum know this already, but as a independent developer, Reverie didn't actually pay any of us to work for about the first six years, so some of us -like myself- have only been able to work part-time on the project.

A lot of projects like ours fail quite quickly, but we've managed to continue on and look to be very successful in the future.

The engine does support unlimited zoom and angle, you could easily view from 3rd person perspective, or even first person if you wanted. We were originally thinking of an option to play the game from the Hero's perspective, being able to control him/her personally, and switch back to the overhead RTS perspective with a tap of a button. We however have put the idea on the back burner, as we are unsure on how it will play out when your trying to weed your way through 2000 units controlling just 1.

†TYRANICK†™ 10-26-2007 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Zelazny (Post 3061)
DoF has actually been in development since 2001, we've come a long way!

Most people on the forum know this already, but as a independent developer, Reverie didn't actually pay any of us to work for about the first six years, so some of us -like myself- have only been able to work part-time on the project.

A lot of projects like ours fail quite quickly, but we've managed to continue on and look to be very successful in the future.

The engine does support unlimited zoom and angle, you could easily view from 3rd person perspective, or even first person if you wanted. We were originally thinking of an option to play the game from the Hero's perspective, being able to control him/her personally, and switch back to the overhead RTS perspective with a tap of a button. We however have put the idea on the back burner, as we are unsure on how it will play out when your trying to weed your way through 2000 units controlling just 1.

Wow 2001...didnt pay you? cheek! lol

Oh cool! So it can/is possible.

Maybe (big maybe) you could make it a togglable features in the game options or release a demo with it in to see how it plays out.

Ah thats the think, when i was playing RAF I thought the same thing upon how it would work, but it did so well is was unreal.

Basically they way they did it was that, you had numerous options, go off by your self and hack and slash your way through stealthily, or lead your army into battle behind you, whilst you control the hero and go and pick off key locations (a fun thing in RAF was climbing up the ladders of enemy sentry towers and slicing them up, then calling in the seige) it allowed you to control the out come of certain objectives much more easily, and with the leveling up and "favour" system, your attributes could expand further.

1 very awesome thing was when you where in normal top down view, was you could position your armies little groups behind rock or in trees of say a canyon whilst your enemy wasnt looking...switch to hero mode, walk up a path to a base, the enemy would come out in force, you hit a button that makes your army attack/follow, and they all come rushing out from all angles etc haha it was great

Your hero was slightly more powerful in this mode, but at a cost of overall vision I.E. no top down strategy based attacks, hence why you planned an attack first, if you got pounded down a lot with your health dwindeling, you auto exited the mode, as to focus on the rest of your army.

So yeah, good times. But alas its your game after all, im just a mad fan :D

The Witch King of Angmar 10-26-2007 01:15 PM

I like the idea of unlimited angles making for some really cool screens.

Puppeteer 10-26-2007 01:24 PM

oh, zoom in for detail, zoom out for big picture! Left brain vs right!

frankein_fish 10-27-2007 12:56 PM

I would love the way Supreme commander handeld it. if you zoomed out long enhouth the world became a big map and where you pointed with the mouse it zoomed in there

The Witch King of Angmar 10-28-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankein_fish (Post 3090)
I would love the way Supreme commander handeld it. if you zoomed out long enhouth the world became a big map and where you pointed with the mouse it zoomed in there

Yeah that would be sick. The only problem is Mythador is only 1 world so it would be the same planet view every time. But say one of your mates is fighting on a different map, you could jump over to that map on the globe and watch them fight.