Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   changing weather? (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140)

SvN 10-23-2007 07:21 AM

changing weather?

the time will change from night to day in the game, but what about weather?
it would be a nice feature if the weather would change too, snow, rain, cloudy, thunder:)

iceblast 10-23-2007 08:52 AM

im defintley sure there planning this or have already achieved this :)

Sharku 10-23-2007 01:39 PM

I hope so, weather is really cool. If they do have weather will it effect your units? Like deep snow slows them down and rain messes up accuracy.

Joseph Visscher 10-23-2007 01:46 PM

We'll have to wait for Ryan for this question.
Although I love the idea of the weather effecting your units, like if it rains archers will have less accuracy, that would mean its better to charge a fortress when its rainning. ;)

jap88 10-23-2007 01:59 PM

I believe that there is incliment weather incorporated into DoF given that there is day and night it would not be hard to produce.
Quote:

that would mean its better to charge a fortress when its rainning.
Would also reduce accuracy of trebuchets/catapults/etc. though.

The Witch King of Angmar 10-23-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jap88 (Post 2998)
I believe that there is incliment weather incorporated into DoF given that there is day and night it would not be hard to produce.

Would also reduce accuracy of trebuchets/catapults/etc. though.

Maybe not considering how massive the things are that the tribs are hurling.

Gareth121 10-23-2007 03:13 PM

I like the realism that a weather system puts into a game.

On another note, would weather affect the movement of troops? Also, how would the neutral elements in an environment react to said weather? Perhaps the availability of food sources could be affected, but maybe I'm looking too far into it. =D

The Witch King of Angmar 10-23-2007 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth121 (Post 3005)
I like the realism that a weather system puts into a game.

On another note, would weather affect the movement of troops? Also, how would the neutral elements in an environment react to said weather? Perhaps the availability of food sources could be affected, but maybe I'm looking too far into it. =D

Things like snow and sand storms might slow troops down and make economic situations more difficult.

Ryan Zelazny 10-23-2007 04:16 PM

We do have a weather system!

DoF will have Rain, Snow, Sandstorms, and perhaps even other weather anomolies, both natural and magically created ;) .

Weather does affect units in different ways, archers will get reduced visibility, melee units will get slowed in cold climates. Sandstorms and other weather effects can even harm your units if they aren't properly protected from the elements.

We also have little touches like footprints being left in snow, sand and mud that allow for tracking, or misdirecting. Though with snow and sand, these will be covered over time by snowfall / sand movement.

Darvin 10-23-2007 05:03 PM

I love weather, but my only concerns with it are randomness and fairness. Essentially I don't want to see a sandstorm at the wrong time totally throwing a player off, and I don't want to see a sandstorm suddenly giving one race or strategy a sizable or decisive advantage. This is just another balance issue, but it can be a bit of an annoying one because (under most weather implementation) it's random.