Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Religion and Gods (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1380)

Yami-Yagari 04-18-2010 10:20 AM

Religion and Gods

This is something ive been wondering for some while. Will there be deities in DoF, and if yes would you be able to worship them for special effects like divine interventions?:confused:

Jean=A=Luc 04-18-2010 10:56 AM

I worship Steven Spielberg and George Lucas for those.

Puppeteer 04-18-2010 11:11 AM

God no.
:D
We've had this before, but we established that religions might bring inherent morality, which we don't want. No one's good and no one's evil.

Jean=A=Luc 04-18-2010 01:04 PM

Well gods can be "neutral" as well. There could be elemental gods who are also the sources of magic so if you're a water magic user you worship the Great Water Elemental or something. Though it might be refreshing to have a fantasy world without gods.

Aametherar 04-18-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc (Post 27352)
Well gods can be "neutral" as well. There could be elemental gods who are also the sources of magic so if you're a water magic user you worship the Great Water Elemental or something. Though it might be refreshing to have a fantasy world without gods.

Certain people still tie anything into "blasphemy!" It just needs to stay out unfortunately.

Kire 04-18-2010 01:46 PM

Maybe it would be nice to have some sort of demigods, for example elementals (or x creature) that is great in power (magical and raw) and immortal (unless killed) so ppl around there fear it and therefore must sacrifice things or it attacks them or take them rain (if some kind water elemental) or bring snow sooner. But you can gather forces and try to kill it. Some kind of boss encounter idea =).

Yami-Yagari 04-18-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kire (Post 27356)
Maybe it would be nice to have some sort of demigods, for example elementals (or x creature) that is great in power (magical and raw) and immortal (unless killed) so ppl around there fear it and therefore must sacrifice things or it attacks them or take them rain (if some kind water elemental) or bring snow sooner. But you can gather forces and try to kill it. Some kind of boss encounter idea =).

Something like random outdoor boss encounters which you need to pay tribute to in order to make sure he wont attack you?

could work :)

Puppeteer 04-18-2010 02:11 PM

I think a magic-oriented mod could implement more spells, a demigod system among other additions later on. Reverie certainly need not implement this ;)

Gleem 04-18-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc (Post 27344)
I worship Steven Spielberg and George Lucas for those.

After what they've done to Indiana Jones and Star Wars respectively? Why?

Aothane 04-18-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

We've had this before, but we established that religions might bring inherent morality, which we don't want. No one's good and no one's evil.
gods are not necessary for objective morality, and in and of themselves would not necessitate the same.

I'm not opposed to the concept, depending on the lore and overall relevance. However, if their placement is simply an afterthought it would show through and simply dilute the core premise of the setting and situation. Both Warhammer and AD&D make full use of these concepts, however their background is that much more extensive as well as relatively established. For Dawn of Fantasy I gather most of the focus is more immediate in context, maybe dieties and gods will have a place in the developing scheme, but all of that remains to be seen.