Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Stopping the spam (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131)

Joseph Visscher 10-12-2007 11:19 AM

Stopping the spam

Ryan I think you should add a min word count of 10 to replys, so they have to have atleast 10 words in a post or reply, this will stop a lot of the forum spam, like 80% of posts here are only 3 words...

Guys please just limit spam and keep on topic. Thanks

iceblast 10-12-2007 01:04 PM

i agree spam is foul and nasty and not needed

Kostia Kaploon 10-12-2007 01:22 PM

yes (now i have to write 10 useless and pointless words) :D

Puppeteer 10-12-2007 03:51 PM

I agreee (have to add something else to add something to post) :D

ShadowyMoon 10-12-2007 05:56 PM

I doubt it will limit the spam much but it's worth a shot.

Kostia Kaploon 10-13-2007 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher (Post 2846)
Ryan I think you should add a min word count of 10 to replys, so they have to have atleast 10 words in a post or reply, this will stop a lot of the forum spam, like 80% of posts here are only 3 words...

Guys please just limit spam and keep on topic. Thanks

It will be hard at first but I think the solution is to delete every off-topic or spam replay from now on. I were on lots of forums that applied that and after 2-3 off-topic replays you understand that and stop replaying off-topic.

(of course the off-topic forum shouldn't be touched.)

olauwers 10-13-2007 05:46 AM

People should just be polite enough to not spam... Oh well, that'll probably never happen, since you always have nincompoops.

The Witch King of Angmar 10-13-2007 07:41 AM

I agree completly. People should stay on topic. If they want to spam they should do IM instead or go put it in the Off Topic section.

Darvin 10-13-2007 11:04 AM

I do find the small and pointless posts interfere more with discussions than they help. Unfortunately, I don't see an easy solution. A ten word minimum will just make them say MORE mindless drivel, which won't help.

One of the most effective - if blunt and unpopular - techniques for reducing such spam is to remove the post count. A lot of people feel the need to post to get more posts. If that need is removed, they will post because they want to. At least then the people who are spamming are doing so because they actually want to be involved in these conversations, not because they want a higher post count. However, it wasn't popular on any other forum, so I suspect this method wouldn't be popular here, either.

Joseph Visscher 10-13-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darvin (Post 2865)
I do find the small and pointless posts interfere more with discussions than they help. Unfortunately, I don't see an easy solution. A ten word minimum will just make them say MORE mindless drivel, which won't help.

One of the most effective - if blunt and unpopular - techniques for reducing such spam is to remove the post count. A lot of people feel the need to post to get more posts. If that need is removed, they will post because they want to. At least then the people who are spamming are doing so because they actually want to be involved in these conversations, not because they want a higher post count. However, it wasn't popular on any other forum, so I suspect this method wouldn't be popular here, either.

Agreed and i think your onto somthing, maybe we can add something like, if you post is deleted because of spam the spammer's posts go down 5 posts?