Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Suggestion for less strictness with repeated themes (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264)

Pilgrim 02-09-2010 07:24 AM

Suggestion for less strictness with repeated themes

I often get the impression that the members, mods and employees who use this forum are very impatient with people repeating questions or topics that have already been discussed.

Now that I've read that Reverie. wants to attract a lot more users to the forum I wanted to suggest that everyone relaxes a bit about repeated topics. There is a limmited number of sensible questions and for a forum community to remain active and healthy you have to let new people have fun discussing things too.

Some people come just to read, but others come to engage and it isn't realistic to expect everyone to want to go trawling through old threads instead of getting stuck in.

Also, topics of more than 3 pages start to get messy and no one wants to read through an entire 4 page topic before giving their two cents. New threads are just good for the forum.

I'm sure there will be people here who are happy to share the knowledge they have gained in the forum with new members, and i suggest that people who don't want to repeat, instead of having a go at new members for not using the search feature properly, just choose not to participate in the thread and leave everyone else to it.

Just my two cents.

Supreme 02-09-2010 08:31 AM

Normally id scorn you for trying to be the unofficial forum police but I guess this forum has ^ quite a lot so il refrain from doing so this time ;). Only this time though ;)

SvN 02-09-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilgrim (Post 23981)
I often get the impression that the members, mods and employees who use this forum are very impatient with people repeating questions or topics that have already been discussed.

Now that I've read that Reverie. wants to attract a lot more users to the forum I wanted to suggest that everyone relaxes a bit about repeated topics. There is a limmited number of sensible questions and for a forum community to remain active and healthy you have to let new people have fun discussing things too.

Some people come just to read, but others come to engage and it isn't realistic to expect everyone to want to go trawling through old threads instead of getting stuck in.

Also, topics of more than 3 pages start to get messy and no one wants to read through an entire 4 page topic before giving their two cents. New threads are just good for the forum.

I'm sure there will be people here who are happy to share the knowledge they have gained in the forum with new members, and i suggest that people who don't want to repeat, instead of having a go at new members for not using the search feature properly, just choose not to participate in the thread and leave everyone else to it.

Just my two cents.

Exactly what I've been thinking. the "search for old topics before posting" thing has gone to far.

Darathor 02-09-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilgrim (Post 23981)
and I suggest

This "I" should be capitalized.
Quote:

Originally Posted by SvN (Post 23997)
Exactly what I've been thinking. the "search for old topics before posting" thing has gone too far.

It's "too" not "to."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Supreme (Post 23984)
Normally I'd scorn you for trying to be the unofficial forum police, but I guess this forum has ^ quite a lot so I'll refrain from doing so this time ;). Only this time, though. ;)

"I'd" needs an apostrophe and the "I" needs capitalization. A comma before "though" and of course, a period at the end. Also, "I'll" needs to be capitalized, given an apostrophe, and given another "l" to it.

I think this forum has gotten out of control with the laxness that has been thrust upon it's users. I would recommend much more stiff posting rules. The ability for people to ask for information that has already been given, no matter where it might be found, needs to be much more controlled. I don't even have an inkling of why they should be given these incredibly basic rights that make me want to stridently shriek at the stupidity of them.

Kire 02-09-2010 04:28 PM

What about if there would be created a special sector at forum (just like general chat, suggestions...) for newcomer questions, where they would ask those questions. Tho it will be just like pub ... since there is allowed to post also rubbish/offtopic, so/but here you could post already answered questions. Maybe they would saw someone already asked that question at first page ... =P. And then after a while on top of list could be created topic about most frequent asked questions (also answered there already).

GPS51 02-09-2010 04:45 PM

And the problem with read the FAQs is? I don't mind if people mildly say "check the faqs." It simply prevents there from being 20 threads with the same starting post. "HI I R NU HERE and have 2 or 3 questions" All of which can be located in the FAQs or haven't been released yet. Bring new people on board but lets not recruit people unable to use basic forum sense eh? :eek:

Konstantin Fomenko 02-09-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

What about if there would be created a special sector at forum (just like general chat, suggestions...) for newcomer questions, where they would ask those questions.
This actually sounds like a pretty good idea! I`ll run this by Alex. "New to DoF? - ask questions here" sort of forum.

Also I do agree we are turning some new fans off by yelling at em for asking questions, and not wanting to dig through the FAQ. I mean really - no harm in more posts.

Negthareas 02-09-2010 06:37 PM

I think I brought this up before, but I think that it would be good if there were a finalized topic list for newcomers.

I have found that there are lots of things discussed in the threads, especially the older ones. However, a lot of times these discussions do not end with a decisive conclusion and the questions that formed the base for the thread remain unanswered, or at least, answered with "I think" or "We might."

I suggust that there be a particular thread or something where people could enter in a search, and find definite, "this is the way it will be in the game," information. That way they will not have to wander through the forums for a while only to find that their question is not ultimately answered.

Darathor 02-09-2010 06:58 PM

A new forum section could be cool, it could be a more visible introduction section that emphasizes asking questions if you have any. Not having it under the general section would let more people notice it before they ask a question in the main square.

GPS51 02-09-2010 07:05 PM

So would the FAQs be turned into a "new member" section of the forum perhaps with links to a sorted list of FAQs so that people don't have to search all the pages but just try their hand at jumping to the questions covering what interests them?