Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Media Fair (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Fantasy Friday XII - Unveiling the World Map 2.0 (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252)

Alex Walz 02-05-2010 04:39 PM

Fantasy Friday XII - Unveiling the World Map 2.0

FANTASY FRIDAY XII
The MMORTS World Map (2.0)

As promised, we have a very special treat for you today - the grand unveiling of a new, fully 3D MMORTS World Map! Why a new World Map, you ask? Well, if you remember our old map, it was 2D, towns were just stamps rather than representational models, and, well... it was boring. So while we are going through and updating many of the art and GUI files, we felt the World Map deserved an update just as well. At first, the plan was just to start from scratch to create a new, super-high resolution map that would have 3D icons, show off more of the terrain, and have show off towns in a more representational manner. Of course this wasn't enough for us, and soon this little plan evolved into a fully 3D World Map, involving the time and skills of half of the studio, with the works - scale models of each town, dynamic changes brought upon by the season and light cycle, swaying trees and rippling water, etc.

Looking at these screenshots, you may start to fear how much loading time an entire world will add to the game in comparison to our old map. But rest assured, that every effort has been made to make it as fast as possible, and in the end, there is hardly any noticeable time difference. The World Map is instanced together with your Homeland so you won't have to keep loading them, and everything on the map is very scaled down - and we didn't just adjust the scale in the editor, we created all new objects with smaller models and textures so they will look the best and take very little time to load.

While it's functional right now, this is still a work in progress as we'll be doing some, mostly aesthetic, additions to it before the beta - such as banners showing the names of the towns and regions, low flying cloud layers, flying birds, traveling trade caravans, etc.

The new world map offers a scale model of each NPC stronghold, your homeland, and the major quest towns and locations you'll encounter throughout your adventure. You will be able to read all about the various locations before sending out an army.

Boasting a brand new interface, the army system works much the same as it did before. You will be able to group your units and resources into armies that you can send throughout Mythador to trade, quest, scout, or conquer. You will also be able to split your armies into smaller armies. Your armies (up to ten) will be represented with a single unit slowly traveling across the map. We also hope to display allied armies (up to 20) and your army camps on this map.

Your armies can set up base camps anywhere on the map (for a small amount of wood and gold). When constructing a base camp, you have the option of no fortification, light fortification, or heavy fortification.

Upon reaching a stronghold, you will be able to choose to enter it or attack it. If you choose to enter, you will only have control over a single unit while inside of that stronghold. This makes it easier to trade as it's not always the easiest parading down a narrow alleyway with siege towers, ogres, and livestock.

When you enter a stronghold, you will be able to head directly to the Goods or Mercenary Market - check out our Markets showcase for more information.

Another shot of the beautiful scenery surrounding Teria, this time with a focus on the great stronghold of Thorndale.

Using the World Map's functions, group your units into armies. In this case, I am sending some peasants with cows to sell at the goods market.

Reflecting the change in season, the World Map is now covered with a thick layer of snow

From the populous Dagbor and the dragon realm to the dwarven caves and barren deserts of the southeast, the new World Map shows you everywhere you can venture and while you trek through these vast resources, you will be able to zoom in to see your army on a new, instanced map of the region they are currently traveling through. Happy traveling!

crex719 02-05-2010 04:50 PM

:-O Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Henry Martin 02-05-2010 04:50 PM

AWESOME!!! this is amazing. I love the overlay of text/graphics on the water, The fog. I can't wait to see this in motion (it will look way better). This is the best showcase so far in my opinion.

Alex Walz 02-05-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

This is the best showcase so far in my opinion.
We think so too. :)
I'm pretty sure Mr. Kon has been refreshing the page for the last two hours waiting to see this posted and to find out what you guys think of his baby. ;)

welshie 02-05-2010 04:55 PM

can i marry you lot <3

Konstantin Fomenko 02-05-2010 05:17 PM

Great showcase Alex!

I got to say this World Map was my favorite project to work on in the past half a year. It did only take us two weeks or so though, almost a shame. It was too much fun to resign my producer duties, and do something I haven`t done in years - completely submerge into our scenario editor and work on the level design for this map (I apologize to our level designers, but I was having so much fun - just couldn`t stop:p).

Although it`s a shame we can`t show this in a high-res video:( These screenshots do look good, but nothing can compare watching it fully animated... Oh well - I guess soon enougth.

And my compliments to everyone involved in this project. While DoF`s visuals are without doubt outmatched by some recent AAA RTS titles, I think we outdid everyone with our world map:)

GPS51 02-05-2010 05:27 PM

OH WOW.......*picks jaw up off floor* IT's beyond beautiful. I enlarged all but 2 screenies for viewing pleasure. Wow. Can't wait to see it in game.

nickson104 02-05-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 23769)
And my compliments to everyone involved in this project. While DoF`s visuals are without doubt outmatches by some recent AAA RTS titles, I think we outdid everyone with our world map:)

Hear Hear!! :)
Guys, seriously... Im amazed... Its amazing, truly... I love it!
It sorta reminds me of a cross between Total War maps and the Mount And Blade map, it seems like you combined the two well :)

But seriously, well done to all the devs working on this area, it is a masterpiece. As im sure, is the rest of the game, so i think i should extend the expression toward all the devs, your amazing and keep up the hard work!

Generation 02-05-2010 05:49 PM

Beautiful screens I tell you and the graphics look amazing too

Swift sword 02-05-2010 05:50 PM

Best. Showcase. Ever.
Seriously, this is epically awesome. It's much better than I ever hoped to see. *Bear hugs everyone at Reverie* It's beautiful. Thanks for this, 1000X over. :D :)
Gonna go drool over the pics some more.

Edit: I'm curious- how are you going to show enemy player cities? I know you see like the 5 closest within level range, but I mean the visuals- will we actually see 3d artwork like the npc cities? Seems like it'd be hard to keep a accurate representation updated, so I'm interested in knowing how you plan to do so. ;)