Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Highlighting units (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247)

Swift sword 02-01-2010 08:56 PM

Highlighting units

In some of the pictures, I've seen selected units with a white-outline around them to signify that they're the units the player is currently selecting. Are you going to change this to a little circle underneath the unit that most games have, or allow players to reduce it's visibility? I personally think they're ugly, and would like to change it to the norm that RTS's use. If not, I would think I quick mod could change this. Just curious, as they get on my nerves in the screenshots and I think they will in gameplay.;)

Puppeteer 02-03-2010 01:44 PM

That's quite a good idea; I had noticed the outlines but thought nothing of them! I too would prefer a dainty little circle.

Negthareas 02-03-2010 05:27 PM

The outlines did look a little, well, strange. Whereas the outlines for AoE 2 were done very nicely [outlnes only appeared when they were behind objects] the ones for DoF were a little accentuated. I think the AoE 2 approach would work better with DoF - highlight only when hidden from view [out of sight] but still selected, and give selected units a circle or health bar when selected and visible.

Josh Warner 02-03-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swift sword (Post 23638)
In some of the pictures, I've seen selected units with a white-outline around them to signify that they're the units the player is currently selecting. Are you going to change this to a little circle underneath the unit that most games have, or allow players to reduce it's visibility? I personally think they're ugly, and would like to change it to the norm that RTS's use. If not, I would think I quick mod could change this. Just curious, as they get on my nerves in the screenshots and I think they will in gameplay.;)

There are a lot less units in most standard RTSes. Doesn't Total War use outline? Been forever since I've played it so I could be off here.

I do like the way it is right now though, it's very helpful when zoomed out at the maximum. Not really sure if circles would be visible enough. I like the idea of an option regarding how bright or at least an on/off however. It's something I'd have to see in game to decide which I liked more.

Henry Martin 02-03-2010 06:25 PM

total war series uses a circle under the units.

The outline does look wierd, but I might not look as bad seeing the game in motion. Sometimes screenshots don't do thing justice. I might be the color too, as white might not be the right color to use.

Negthareas 02-03-2010 07:44 PM

Good points Krabs. Yes, Josh, DoF will have many more units than other RTSs. Maybe when you are zoomed out [hardo to see things] your units will apear shaded [a specific color] - may not be able to tell what unit it is, but will be able to tell it is yours [in contrast with the enemies]. Would that work?

DarkMaster 02-03-2010 10:57 PM

For the zooming out problem, Star Wars:Empire at War (awesome game BTW) had icons that floated near the fighter squadrons, so it was clear what was where. They also helped with selecting the smaller ships at a distance. I reckon this would be a good thing to use in DoF, as it is very unobtrusive also.

Darathor 02-04-2010 04:53 PM

If you are zoomed out really far, an icon could be too annoying, obtrusive, and in the way, especially with the amount of units in this game. I believe having circles under them would be better, but then again, I haven't seen the game in action so I couldn't really judge. The highlighting doesn't look the best, I believe that circles under the units could be better visually than highlighting them.

Negthareas 02-04-2010 05:24 PM

I will agree that the floating icon worked very well in EaW. I just don't think you would be able to see circles though, at least from a distance.

Feweh 02-04-2010 07:43 PM

I find it makes the graphics look worse :(

Not that im complaining about graphics..

it just looks really gross when you select units