Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Media Fair (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Fantasy Friday VIII - The Art of Level Design (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204)

Alex Walz 01-08-2010 07:17 PM

Fantasy Friday VIII - The Art of Level Design

Welcome! In our second installment of Developer Diary, we’ll be taking a sort of behind-the-scenes tour of the level design process. We’re here with Joseph Visscher, Dawn of Fantasy’s Lead Level Designer, to tell us more and to provide some fascinating insight based on his experiences over the last couple of years.

Our level design team, past and present, involves the talented Lead Level Designer Joseph Visscher, Senior Mappers Eric Zimmer and Doug Bonds, and Junior Mappers Patrick Flynn, Caleb Bergh, Bryan Oakley, Dylan Bales, Dennis Agodzo, and Chris Watkins. You’ll see their magnificent work in every screenshot and at every step in-game, from the might stronghold of Makkada to the regions you’re be starting your MMORTS empires at.

Hopefully this may build up some interest for our massive scenario editor, and give amateur designers a chance to hear tips and processes from industry devs.

Without further ado, here's the interview!

Readers also have a choice to pick out the next NPC town we showcase in-depth. We probably won't have enough showcases to get through every town, so pick carefully! Check the blog for more information and leave a comment with your vote.

Henry Martin 01-08-2010 07:54 PM

I am always a fan of hearing from the level designers on how the environments are made. After reading the interview I can't wait to use the editor. Its going to be interest as I have not really used an RTS editor.

lonewolf9567 01-08-2010 08:03 PM

nice thats great design

GPS51 01-08-2010 08:19 PM

Wow that was a terrific read. I love project that develop skill in the person rather then a machine.

Darathor 01-08-2010 10:55 PM

Interesting read, got me enthused to really get into the editor when the game comes out.

I have no idea which city I would rather be showcased.

massenic 01-09-2010 04:33 AM

I can't wait for the editor! It really looks great.:eek:

Working with it will be a great exercise for the level design lessons I'll be having next year.

And thanks to the people at reverie who are willing to give us a look into the game every Friday! I can't think of any other game studios that are doing this on a weekly basis.

Kire 01-09-2010 05:22 AM

Nice showcase, i wish i would have the knowledge to work with the editor since the design of nature and strongholds are very beautiful. The only maps that i designed were the ones of aoe1 and 2 and some fail attempts to learn warcraft 3 and c&c generals one =P.
And btw =P ..... this is not fantasy friday but its fantasy saturday.

massenic 01-09-2010 05:33 AM

I really have the feeling that this editor will be great for beginning level designers, as wel for the more advanced users.

I also read somewhere that dof source would have some tutorials so don't give up on it before you tried it!

Supreme 01-09-2010 06:36 AM

I agree, was a good read.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kire (Post 22431)
this is not fantasy friday but its fantasy saturday.

Even more special!

wills370 01-09-2010 07:20 AM

Sounds like really well put together editor great job all :D