Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   DOF editor question (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1200)

zach12wqasxz 01-06-2010 12:47 PM

DOF editor question

i was wondering if it were possible to make completly new designs for buildings and such within the games editor. like in the editor have a thing where you can stack little teeny tiny blocks to make all new functioning shapes or add to prevouisly working ones. like for example, if i had a tower, but maybe i wanted to add little slits into the sides, so i could go in the editor, select the tower i wanted to edit, and go in and cut little slits out and then use them in-game, or maybe even design a completly new tower. i think something like this would be really cool and make the editor just outstanding, like if there was something like this i probably would spend more time editing and making really cool stuff than playing the actuall game :D

any of that possible? or worth adding to the editor? this would be really cool if you could.

massenic 01-06-2010 01:02 PM

I wouldn't hope for such a feature if I were you. The chances that they would add that are very small. You're actually asking them to add 3d moddeling software into the game...

I already read that you could load the models you made in 3ds max, so that's how you'll have to do it.

zach12wqasxz 01-06-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massenic (Post 22334)
I wouldn't hope for such a feature if I were you. The chances that they would add that are very small. You're actually asking them to add 3d moddeling software into the game...

I already read that you could load the models you made in 3ds max, so that's how you'll have to do it.

thats just as gerat though. if not extremely better. would the games AI be able to function with new stuff?

massenic 01-06-2010 01:09 PM

I don't see why that would be a problem. You would probably just have to give some parameters to the buildings/units you make and it will work.

Some more advanced things might require coding off course (like adding a new race).

also remember that (except for 3ds max being supported, that's a fact) I'm just making conclusions from the little information I have about the editor. I might be wrong in some assumptions

Henry Martin 01-06-2010 10:05 PM

I have to agree. Some editors use brushes to create simple shapes, but no editor that I know of lets you edit geometry. Like massenic said you are asking them to add a 3d modeling package to do something that you would use 3ds max or equivalent for.

Alex Walz 01-07-2010 08:23 AM

It's not so much the modelling software that's the problem, it's the functionality. There's no way you can drill holes in buildings and get units to use them automatically as they don't even go inside buildings. So you would need some very advanced coding for the AI and everything from walkmeshes inside the buildings to the doors openings as your units approach, etc. And I would assume it would be impossible to constrict an archer to fire arrows out of a small slit in any RTS engine. There's no way to precode these types of things so all you have to do is adjust the model.

I'm not going to say much on this until our editor showcase, but the game will ship with a number of tools including a 3D Model Viewer. While you can't add new polygons or anything, you can change the scale of a unit and for buildings, you can adjust the walkmesh - ie: allow units to walks up eyecandy steps, up the side of a wall, etc.

Puppeteer 01-07-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

And I would assume it would be impossible to constrict an archer to fire arrows out of a small slit in any RTS engine.
*muses* Well, as the archers approaches the slit perhaps the object could be swapped for an object using the same model and skin, however it cannot turn and can only fire in a certain angle - say 4 degrees scope. When the archer is told to leave the object again is swapped for the original, freer archer object. Experience would have to be transferred - ie. this is not worth it!

zach12wqasxz 01-07-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppeteer (Post 22351)
*muses* Well, as the archers approaches the slit perhaps the object could be swapped for an object using the same model and skin, however it cannot turn and can only fire in a certain angle - say 4 degrees scope. When the archer is told to leave the object again is swapped for the original, freer archer object. Experience would have to be transferred - ie. this is not worth it!

im not limiting what i said to just putting slits in towers for archers to fire out of, there would be a lot of options when it comes to cuztomazation of units and buildings and objects ect. so it might not be worth it for the archers but it would be worth it for a lot of other stuff

Alex Walz 01-07-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Yup. Not to mention DoF is only meant to be played as a two-layer game - ground and walls. You'd have to do something like reduce the tower transparency and make it not clickable when you hover over it so that you can actually see and move your archers. And in an RTS of this scale, you don't have time to assign each archer to a slit.

Players can, fairly easily, make a lot of modifications to our product with our tools, but this will have to be created by the fans. Precoding unique functions for model modifications is just out of the question. The only game I know of that came anywhere close to this was Spore with its pre-animations, but even they didn't accomplish much more than legs can walk and move any objects, hands can attack wherever they are placed, etc. - and this took them eight years, with some of the best designers in the industry including the legendary Will Wright and over 20 million dollars.

Supreme 01-07-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Walz (Post 22357)
Precoding unique functions for model modifications is just out of the question. The only game I know of that came anywhere close to this was Spore with its pre-animations, but even they didn't accomplish much more than legs can walk and move any objects, hands can attack wherever they are placed, etc. - and this took them eight years, with some of the best designers in the industry including the legendary Will Wright and over 20 million dollars.

No biggie for you guys, right? ;)