Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Public Suggestions and Proposals (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Suggestion: Read-only maps (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12)

Darvin 05-11-2007 01:35 PM

Suggestion: Read-only maps

Among the biggest problems in any game with an accessible map editor are map "vandals". These are people who take a successful map idea, load it up in the map editor, and start adding super-powered units to their favourite faction. Then they decide that since they added so much content (cough) they are now the author, and delete the original author's signature on the map. A couple iterations of this vandalization, and the original version is essentially one among hundreds of bastardized ones. The game has been ruined not only for the community at large, which must wade through versions acclaimed by kids who know which unit is the most rigged and mass it before anyone else figures out, but for the author who has not only lost credit for his work, but also all credibility of the real map version.

The solution I've seen in other communities is unfortunate; essentially, the maps are corrupted so that, although they will run in game, they cannot be loaded in any editor. This solves the problem, but it also prevents newbies to the mapping community from learning from the works of others. I think a better solution may well be a "read-only" designation that a creator can give his finalized version (of course, keeping an editable version that will never be released for personal use). This would allow others to see the content of the map and its scripting, but they would have to systematically copy every feature of the map into a new file in order to save their own edited version.

I think this is a simple solution that will allow those who seriously want to learn from the works of others to do so, while still preventing those who want to pervert them from doing so.

Silent_Lamb 05-11-2007 05:39 PM

I was going to add here that maybe the map could be passworded, so that when you download it and open it in the map editor, if you have the password you could edit it. Unfortunately, the cons out weighed the pros in my mind.

Darvin, I believe this is a must for people (like myself) who enjoy editing maps, so hopefully this idea will be implemented. Nice idea :D.

artyp 05-12-2007 09:00 AM

maybe a read-only option?
sure, a lot of map makers will make their maps read-only, but some may want to make some open-source maps.
i've found that most people like having options. always having an option means you can make more people happy.

Darvin 05-12-2007 12:03 PM

Well, I would have hoped that goes without saying. Of course it should be optional to have the read-only designation.

Joseph Visscher 05-15-2007 05:42 PM

I got a better idea.

I got a better idea.
Give the creator an option to add a password to his map so that you need the password to resave the map. If you don’t have a password, you are still allowed to view the map and all its scripts and such, but not allowed to save it or export it in anyway; this way noobs can learn but cant use the “Save As” button. ( I am implying that everyone that uses the Save as button to steal credit is a complete noob.)

Konstantin Fomenko 05-15-2007 07:01 PM

Something we really didn`t think about!

I love the idea of adding the password. I am sure there will come out some sort of hack for it, as password, or any other sort of protection will be stored inside the map file, but it should work at least for mainstream users.

Darvin 05-15-2007 11:52 PM

At very least it will require a third party program for someone to crack a map. That should mitigate the problem. Unless the map in question is one of those sensational hits (in which case I'd expect fansites will clarify the official versions), it should suffice.

Joseph Visscher 05-16-2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 102)
Something we really didn`t think about!

I love the idea of adding the password. I am sure there will come out some sort of hack for it, as password, or any other sort of protection will be stored inside the map file, but it should work at least for mainstream users.

that right there probibly are people that would be able to hack it. although therefore they wouldn't be noobs.
you could probibly have a question answering system also. like "What was your first teacher's name" or "What is your mother's maided name" I believe that those are a lot harder to hack; but don't take my word for it, I have never progamed a password within a 3D program.

Ndition 05-16-2007 03:28 PM

Can't you lock the first author signature so it can't be removed/overwritten, but people will still be able to edit the map and then add their signature as a "modification" signature so it goes like

Creator:someone
Modded by:kiddie1

Joseph Visscher 05-16-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ndition (Post 108)
Can't you lock the first author signature so it can't be removed/overwritten, but people will still be able to edit the map and then add their signature as a "modification" signature so it goes like

Creator:someone
Modded by:kiddie1

in a way that would be better. but they could still get a lot of credit for doing nothing. they would still get their name on it. as well if they could hack a password im sure they could easily hack somthing of what you stated.