Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Highligting units (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1131)

raving 12-03-2009 11:34 AM

Highligting units

sorry if this topic has been brought forward already.
Are you going to implement a button wich will highlight all your units and enemy units? Cause sometimes battles can get chaotic and it gets confusing wich units are yours and wich are your enemy's.

btw if you are afraid people can use these buttons to find units on great distance you implement something that will only highlight your own units and enemy units that are in combat.

just some thought :)

zach12wqasxz 12-03-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raving (Post 21233)
sorry if this topic has been brought forward already.
Are you going to implement a button wich will highlight all your units and enemy units? Cause sometimes battles can get chaotic and it gets confusing wich units are yours and wich are your enemy's.

btw if you are afraid people can use these buttons to find units on great distance you implement something that will only highlight your own units and enemy units that are in combat.

just some thought :)

i think this would be a useful feature, especially with large scale battles you need to be able to see who's who.

Darathor 12-04-2009 06:43 AM

You should be able to tell whose units are whose generally because they will be different colors. I'm pretty sure that the total war series had this and it was great because the battle could get quite chaotic.

nickson104 12-04-2009 03:13 PM

In most games units have at least a faint outline in their colour, if they are behind objects usually that outline becomes stronger

Jean=A=Luc 12-04-2009 07:37 PM

I'm guessing your and enemy units will be of a different race most of the time but it could be useful. Though I've never needed it in any rts I've played so far. :p

zach12wqasxz 12-04-2009 07:56 PM

this would be a useful feature if you are playing say.....humans vs humans, and your colors a blue, and the enemies colors are purple, with hundreds of units dukeing it out while arrows rain down, buidlings getting demolished and forest fires running havoc, a highlighting feature would be immensely helpful at locating and differentiating friendly and enemy units.

wills370 12-05-2009 08:29 AM

yes they do have highlights on even when they disapear around a building im not sure what exactly the thread was but it was in one of the media runs (would be in archive now) so guess if you want to see then you will have to go hunting for it.Although it is most like age of empires style highlighting.

with regard i beleive you will be able to choose you army's colours and this will affect your highlight. I cant see them letting the system fail on having to races pitched agiasnt one another so there will be a solution :)

zach12wqasxz 12-05-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wills370 (Post 21290)
yes they do have highlights on even when they disapear around a building im not sure what exactly the thread was but it was in one of the media runs (would be in archive now) so guess if you want to see then you will have to go hunting for it.Although it is most like age of empires style highlighting.

with regard i beleive you will be able to choose you army's colours and this will affect your highlight. I cant see them letting the system fail on having to races pitched agiasnt one another so there will be a solution :)

well if your in the mmo mode and your fighting a rival human player, elf on elf, orc on orc and human on human fights would be quite often

Kaznafein 12-07-2009 05:11 PM

I dunno how I feel about this one. Battles are meant to be chaotic and if you get more skillful you'll be able to manage your troops better and know what there doing. On the other hand it would make things easier. I don't think a glow would look that good on screen either. But ya if you have a strategy in mind you'll know what your troops are doing. Plus your troops will probably where different color clothes such as blue team or red team and if there diffrent races that'll make it even easier to tell them apart. Overall I'd probably sway away from making them glow.

Other then that I think it would be nice if you move your cursor over your units they glow(highlighted) so you know they are selected. This would also help if your units are engaged with another melee unit in a tangled mess. Each unit of that battalion would glow.

Darathor 12-08-2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaznafein (Post 21364)
I dunno how I feel about this one. Battles are meant to be chaotic and if you get more skillful you'll be able to manage your troops better and know what there doing. On the other hand it would make things easier. I don't think a glow would look that good on screen either. But ya if you have a strategy in mind you'll know what your troops are doing. Plus your troops will probably where different color clothes such as blue team or red team and if there diffrent races that'll make it even easier to tell them apart. Overall I'd probably sway away from making them glow.

I don't think that they are trying to get your units to permanently glow, just when you click a button they glow momentarily.