Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do you feel is most important in a game? (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083)

Joseph Visscher 10-30-2009 10:12 AM

What do you feel is most important in a game?

What do you think will most keep Dawn of Fantasy's population alive and growing for years to come?

Gameplay: The way you play the game and game elements you influence or get influenced by? Some people think that gameplay is the greatest over all elements that make up a game. Is it? Why isn't it? Post why you think it is or isn't the greatest game element.

Graphics and Physics: Graphics are what you see in the the game, most graphics try to mimic real life, Physics are game elements that can be influenced, such as a ball rolling down a hill or a wall being blown into a thousand peices ingame; Do you think Graphics and Physics are most important in this modern age? Is it? Why isn't it? Post why you think it is or isn't the greatest game element.

Modding, Community, Custom Usermade Maps: Some people look back to Warcraft 3 and still see a blooming community due to many amazing multilayer user made maps. Give the people the power! Do you think mods are really that important, above most other things in a game? Is it? Why isn't it? Post why you think it is or isn't the greatest game element.

Story and Immersion: the story of the game, what cause do you have to play if there is no background on what you are doing. Some people think that some of the greatest games failed because they had a bad story. Do you agree or disagree? Is story the most important game element? Is it? Why isn't it? Post why you think it is or isn't the greatest game element.

Sounds and Voice acting: Some games have absolutely stunning voice acting and sounds which adds to your immersion of the game like you where right there. Do you think it has a major roll in making a game great? Is it? Why isn't it? Post why you think it is or isn't the greatest game element.

No Flame Wars(debating welcome), respect opinions and debates.

LiTos456 10-30-2009 10:47 AM

Gameplay.
MMORTS mode fits into that category and thats what 99% of the community is here for.

Henry Martin 10-30-2009 12:42 PM

I think that's a hard question as each of those have a place to make a good game. I know most people are going to say gameplay which is true but there are some of these things that if missing can brake a game. Like immersion, a game could have great gameplay, but if you can't get immersed into it you won't play it. Graphics too have their place whether people want to admit it or not. Graphics are not just the prettiness, but also the detail that game has to make the environments believable. Also sound and voice acting you will know if there is bad voice acting and can hurt a game. If a gun shoot and doesn't sound like a gun or at least what you think it should sound like is bad.

So I'm going to go with "other" and say all of these have there place to make a great game and not just one can make that game great.

Jean=A=Luc 10-30-2009 02:17 PM

Gameplay and immersion for me. I'm too lazy to elaborate right now but those are the two core things any good game should have covered imo. Of course immersion often depends on graphics, sounds, etc. so it spills into the other options but I don't believe top-notch graphics are required for good immersion.

Heroes of Might & Magic 2 for example is very, very old and "out-dated" by today's standards but it's a game that still "feels" great and gives you that warm & fuzzy feeling when you play it. It's also more pleasant to look at than many of the newer games.

sneaky_squirrel 10-30-2009 02:19 PM

Gameplay above all, gameplay is what makes something fun.

This is followed by the community.

Story.

Graphics.

And finally the not needed but "would be nice" voice acting.

You mess up the gameplay, you have ruined the game.

Supreme 10-30-2009 02:55 PM

Should have a several option thing. Its gameplay but a good story doesnt hurt either. After that its graphics/modding on a shared third and then sound. (Not that it doesnt matter it just matters least for me, though that might be because I prefer my RTS games with a little music :P)

Damnit didnt read the post above me which sais pretty much the same thing, oh well! :P

wills370 10-30-2009 06:07 PM

Gameplay is the most important aspect of a game. If you dont have that then the game isent worth playing. PEople will be far more forgiving of all other aspects of the game. If gameplay is good.

Kire 10-30-2009 07:15 PM

Story is the most important .... tho as already said before ... i play wow just because of lore even if is soooo boring as it is atm =). So gogo storyline !!
(second and third is at same place .... graphic and gameplay - cant play great game with sucky graphics (the nice models of soldiers are the most important =P))

DeusVult 10-31-2009 12:24 AM

Gameplay... Community will gather around interesting gameplay, modding, and making even own story of the game

The Witch King of Angmar 10-31-2009 10:35 AM

Gameplay.... bam.