Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What about the Archers (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1062)

ShadowWolf 10-17-2009 02:32 PM

What about the Archers

This may have already been discussed, but so far I have searched all the forums and found nothing about the archers of the game. Personally they are my favorite. If any one can tell me about the different archers in the game, and post some picks of the Goblins, Humans, and Wood Elves. Also do arrows cost for each time you shoot? Can you upgrade to better bows or arrows? Can you tell them how to shoot? Do they get increased range as they level up? If any one knows anything that would be great.

Blatant7 10-17-2009 03:09 PM

The only thing I've heard is that archers aren't 100% accurate, but they have unlimited ammo (arrows).

sneaky_squirrel 10-17-2009 04:06 PM

They are still considering the resource per arrow (For example 1 arrow = 1 wood), but they are still undecided.

No you can;t tell them how to shoot, they know that by nature.

Im guessing arrows are imrpoved with technology maybe.

I have no idea on the range so far.

Joseph Visscher 10-17-2009 11:13 PM

Arrows are in a simulated projection you wont see them bend or curve to hit units seen in many other games, they arc depending on distance, the power of the archer/bow will in influcance the final range of the unit, a weak goblin archer will only have the range of about 70% of a Elven Ranger. Range also gets height bonuses, but those are not overpowered due to momentum vs drag & gravity.
We plan to have a variety of stances and abilities for archers based upon their strengths, such as arrow volleys over walls, and high arc spread for longer distances for less accuracy, we are still tweaking it, but from the looks of things, we could remove the entire range limit all together and just let the player tell when to shoot and if the arrows don't make it... then they don't make it,,, same thing happens in real life right?
Maybe we'll make a 'Automatically move within range' button so we let you decide, risk wasting arrows and missing the target or be efficient and within range; with this feature would probably come a wood cost per arrow launched, something like 0.05 wood, 20 arrows per 1 wood, its easy to get wood, trees regrow :p.

As for technology, yes there will be some for bows and arrows, at least for Men and Elves, Orcs sorta get left behind when it comes to technology, heh.

Kire 10-18-2009 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher (Post 20035)
risk wasting arrows and missing the target or be efficient and within range; with this feature would probably come a wood cost per arrow launched, something like 0.05 wood, 20 arrows per 1 wood, its easy to get wood, trees regrow :p.

Elves are born archers and they cant cut down all forest to get enough wood for archers .... they are nature protector after all =P......., beside how exactly will they gain wood? By chopping it ? Or more like night elves at warcraft 3 ?=)

deathshroud 10-18-2009 11:03 AM

your description on how the archers are planned to work sounds great, i like the idea of height being taken into consideration as to wether they can hit or not. I also like the fact that stronger characters will have a better range then weaker ones, in your example a goblin and an elf, i also hope that certain units will be more acurate for example, An orc ranged unit might reach the same distance as an elf but his accuracy would be worse due to his lack of training.

Supreme 10-18-2009 11:47 AM

Are you calling my orcs weak?

SvN 10-18-2009 12:10 PM

orcs have stronger arms than elves! :p

anyways. I like the system, I guess this how other projectiles work too. Now I wonder if this also will affect magic? (If sorcerers have some sort of "magical projectiles")

Joseph Visscher 10-18-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathshroud (Post 20050)
i also hope that certain units will be more acurate for example, An orc ranged unit might reach the same distance as an elf but his accuracy would be worse due to his lack of training.

Accuracy isn't always the best when it comes to large armies deathshroud, sure its better when targeting only a few units, but when its hundreds of archers vs thousands of enemies, you want the arrow to spread. We'll probably have stances that 'projectile creators'(archer, siege) can set between accurate, normal and inaccurate.

Btw Orcs are stronger but elves have better equipment, and Orc has a crappy rotting waterlogged wood bow vs a elven Gold Trimmed Great Elven Tree wood bow?

Just because elves can't cut down trees does not mean they never use wood, they just get wood from other methods of gathering rather then killing a tree and chopping it up into little bits.

Josh Warner 10-18-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher (Post 20064)
Accuracy isn't always the best when it comes to large armies deathshroud, sure its better when targeting only a few units, but when its hundreds of archers vs thousands of enemies, you want the arrow to spread. We'll probably have stances that 'projectile creators'(archer, siege) can set between accurate, normal and inaccurate.

Definitely - There are two qualities that are important - how long you could keep firing with an effective draw strength and how fast you could fire between shots. When you're firing into a gigantic blob of people, you're bound to hit something that bleeds

There are of course going to be a few exceptions where accuracy is important for targeting heroes/mages and other ranged units like those on a wall/tower, but for the most part you'll want damage/fire speed over accuracy. As long as you hit someone who cares :p!