Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How many publishers (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036)

Gleem 10-05-2009 07:43 AM

How many publishers

does it take to make the greatest RTS game ever?

Chris Harshman 10-05-2009 08:04 AM

0, but it takes one very good game studio.

Joseph Visscher 10-05-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscisco (Post 19619)
0, but it takes one very good game studio.

Not if the studio has no income.
A very good publisher that dishes out a lot of money for better development of the studio and sets a very slack release date so the development team can take their time and do things right without the 'rushed' feeling.

Chris Harshman 10-05-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Visscher (Post 19620)

Not if the studio has no income.
A very good publisher that dishes out a lot of money for better development of the studio and sets a very slack release date so the development team can take their time and do things right without the 'rushed' feeling.

My point was that a publisher is not required, there are other ways to get money, a publisher is still the best, but not the only way.

Josh Warner 10-05-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscisco (Post 19621)
My point was that a publisher is not required, there are other ways to get money, a publisher is still the best, but not the only way.

Short of eccentric billionaire investors what is going to make enough money to give them the time to actually make a great game as a startup studio? Self publishing without other titles or some form of true revenue already on the market is pretty much unheard of for quality games. There are the occasional indie games that get wildly popular here and there, but more often than not that's a fluke. Not wise to build your business around if you like paying your employees I'd think.

I can't really know as I'm not part of the industry - but I just don't see that happening often lol.

Andy Joslin 10-05-2009 10:50 AM

S2Games is a good example of an indie company with good cashflow. Their CEO, Marc DeForest, owns a AAA little league hockey team, a restaurant I think too, as well as a game company. :p

Josh Warner 10-05-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Joslin (Post 19623)
S2Games is a good example of an indie company with good cashflow. Their CEO, Marc DeForest, owns a AAA little league hockey team, a restaurant I think too, as well as a game company. :p

Ahh savage1/2 good times, Savage 1 was kind of a 'meh' title as for success, loved it but it didn't have enough appeal, it did make 'em enough money to make savage 2 which in turn is funding HoN with it's much greater success.

Darvin 10-05-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

S2Games is a good example of an indie company with good cashflow. Their CEO, Marc DeForest, owns a AAA little league hockey team, a restaurant I think too, as well as a game company
That probably qualifies as the eccentric millionaire investor.

Anyways, you need to get your product on retail shelves. Digital distribution is a big phenomenon, but it's still only a tiny piece of the pie compared to retailers. Read an article yesterday that suggested for every one digital copy sold, Walmart alone sells ten boxed copies.

Chris Harshman 10-05-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haeso (Post 19622)
Short of eccentric billionaire investors what is going to make enough money to give them the time to actually make a great game as a startup studio? Self publishing without other titles or some form of true revenue already on the market is pretty much unheard of for quality games. There are the occasional indie games that get wildly popular here and there, but more often than not that's a fluke. Not wise to build your business around if you like paying your employees I'd think.

I can't really know as I'm not part of the industry - but I just don't see that happening often lol.

Regardless of that my point still stands, highly recommended, but again not required.

I am not debating whether it is likely to happen, but that it could and does happen.

wills370 10-05-2009 02:04 PM

This will have one publisher this game. Although we are sitll waiting to find out who?

ith regards it is very rare for any game to suceed in this highly competative market where millions and millions is spent before the game even hits the shelves or is anywhere near being finished to be a sucess. Aswell as the rights to publication chains etc .

Many companyies need the publisher for that very purpose to publish and not get bent over with the rates. Remember the shops dont have to sell your product.