Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Payment method? (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031)

hashkage 10-03-2009 07:43 AM

Payment method?

I was pondering about how the payment method would be to this game.

this is because i've heard alot of other developers saying that a 50 bucks
1-time paying method for an MMORTS/RPG would be impossible to make working because of the required staff and keeping the servers up.

If we exclude 1-time paying then there is a few options:

Microtransactions: Though this is an effective way, it will imbalace the game, making the winner the one who pays most.

Monthly fee: paying every mont you play (or every hour) would balance the game, though many people for some reason don't like this method, therefore it will probably decrease the number of players, and therefore the playing experience.

Donations: Living of people being nice is good, but it will be a very unpredictable income; and probably not enough.

Addvertisements: Pop-up windows and different adds within the game could maybe be am efficient way, though personally I would hate adds poping up, and other crappy adds. Maybe you could play free with adds or donate/monthly payment to get rid of them.

The payment method i'd prefer would be montly payment, or a 1-time pay, though i think with 1-time pay, there would be to poor customer support.

skybladerz 10-03-2009 08:23 AM

Payment

i like the 1 time payment method becasue i can jsut go 2 the store and get it

And i can tell you why people dont like monthy...

1st off, the economy sucks, and we cant have added bills, second, i dont have a paypal account becasue i dont trust them, and neither do a lot of other people and i dont have a credit card either even if i did i wouldnt spend it on a game, even if it is the best MMORTS there is (that was a compliant). Third, its easier to jsut have it 1 time play, thats what Guild Wars does, and they seem to be working fine, and making guild wars 2.

Heres my idea. Have it as a 1 time pay, a B2P, then have a donate thing, and benifits for donators ( and not big enough to make them rigged, jsut good enough to have them want to donate) PLEASE NO ITEM MALL! you know what i mean :D

Alex Walz 10-03-2009 08:34 AM

Reverie said there wouldn't be a monthly payment. :D
There will probably just be subtle ads.

Chris Harshman 10-03-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 19438)
Reverie said there wouldn't be a monthly payment. :D
There will probably just be subtle ads.

Plus the One time up front Game cost, and Purchasing Influence.

sneaky_squirrel 10-03-2009 08:52 AM

Microtransactions...Influence they call it ;p.

Don't worry about it and search the site for the "influence" discussion, you buy stuff with it, you can get it by playing real slowly, or get a LOT with cash.

100 influence = penny

Josh Warner 10-03-2009 11:26 AM

I'm too lazy right now to go find all the quotes, but the microtransaction currency can be earned by playing the game well. If you play a lot, and don't suck, you shouldn't need to buy much. THey've also hinted at caps.

You're also forgetting about the way the automatch works which means the game's pretty much always balanced.

On a side note, I'll never understand why people hate 15/month so much. The amount of time people play most MMOs, if they spent that playing other games they'd be spending 100+ a month on new games... MMOs are a very cost effective way to spend your time. And what's with people being unable to own a credit card, do you lack the willpower not to go into debt or something oO

Jean=A=Luc 10-03-2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hashkage (Post 19435)
Payment method.

They prefer money. :p

Josh Warner 10-03-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc (Post 19462)
They prefer money. :p

How insightful. ;)

Konstantin Fomenko 10-03-2009 12:38 PM

One time payment to buy the game, no monthly fee.

Micro-transactions will be a big part of the game (for players who choose to incorporate that into their gameplay experience and cut a few corners).

All micro transactions are done with the Influence (or Wealth, not sure about the name yet) resource - that can be gained through regular gameplay, or purchased at http://exchange.dawnoffantasy.com/ (this is temp site)

Josh Warner 10-03-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 19470)
One time payment to buy the game, no monthly fee.

Micro-transactions will be a big part of the game (for players who choose to incorporate that into their gameplay experience and cut a few corners).

All micro transactions are done with the Influence (or Wealth, not sure about the name yet) resource - that can be gained through regular gameplay, or purchased at http://exchange.dawnoffantasy.com/ (this is temp site)

Glad to see things coming along well in that regard. I really can't wait to figure out how influence(wealth) is gained in the game itself though.

And for those worried about microtransactions, I'll say - I hate them as much as the next person in most games. But several things about this game keep things very balanced. Automatch for one keeps the armies you fight balanced, maybe you won't be on a leaderboard or something compared to those that pay a lot of money, but you should be able to hold your own in battles. There are several other smaller features, such as gaining influence(or wealth) just by playing the game and the fact that this isn't an mmorpg, it's not a battle of numbers. Outplaying someone with a better army will be possible. Until we actually get to playing and testing how everything works, I wouldn't worry too much friends.