Reverie World Studios Forums

Reverie World Studios Forums (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/index.php)
-   Main Square (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   map expansion (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010)

stinkylover 09-24-2009 06:42 PM

map expansion

so i was wondering how exactly is the map going to expand, assuming it does. if more players keep joining wont it eventually fill up?
will it just add more land to the edge of the map or will the developers add additional continents? or will it just be a bunch of dots/kingdom markers on a giant world map, that u have to march a army up to then load into the fight?

if this has already bee answered pleas direct me to the thread

Josh Warner 09-24-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkylover (Post 18998)
so i was wondering how exactly is the map going to expand, assuming it does. if more players keep joining wont it eventually fill up?
will it just add more land to the edge of the map or will the developers add additional continents? or will it just be a bunch of dots/kingdom markers on a giant world map, that u have to march a army up to then load into the fight?

if this has already bee answered pleas direct me to the thread

You misunderstand how the world map works. The only markers on the world map are NPC cities, your own armies/cities and quests, possibly allied armies/cities we're not sure on that, Player versus player is started using an automatch system not by walking to any specific place.

JDmino 09-24-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haeso (Post 19001)
You misunderstand how the world map works. The only markers on the world map are NPC cities, your own armies/cities and quests, possibly allied armies/cities we're not sure on that, Player versus player is started using an automatch system not by walking to any specific place.

Thank god! If it was the other way it would lag massively!

stinkylover 09-24-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haeso (Post 19001)

Bryan Oakley's

Q. In the MMORTS, will you be able to choose not to get attacked by another human player?.
A. There is a way to stop other players from attacking you, but it drains your resources. If another player chooses to attack you, you can simply pay a tribute and the fighting will not start. Also, when you first set up your MMORTS city, you will not be able to be attacked for a little while.

Danny Vink

Added February 20, 2009
Q. Will you be able to see other players on the world map during MMORTS mode?
A. Not all the time - and what you`ll see on the World map is gonna be 1/100th of all user activity. We will show armies and cities allied to the player - and perhaps units and cities which the player can immediately fight
against - that would already be enough to fill the world map. Also stuff like your player armies or cities under attack might be shown as well. For example, your army of Level 5 is in Wold Region. There are 500 total player armies and 200 cities in the Wold Region. Out of all of these, only 300 armies and 70 cities are close to your army's level and can be engaged.

also

Konstantin Fomenko

Think Total War games. You move armies and select cities on the World Map. But unlike Total War, where player only gets into RTS view during the battle, in DoF player can at any time see his Army/Town in RTS view

so i sorrta found my own answere but as for a auto match system how can that be if u can be attacked against your will, also you do move your armys around like in total war, finaly

Q. In the MMORTS mode, will players be restricted to only one territory or will they be allowed to own a conquered territory and have one additional castle on the world map?
A. Every player may have up to 4 cities of various races. At higher levels additional cities can be conquered.

so if you move around like in total war u can capture other peoples city's you can be attacked against your will and have to pay tribute and you can see city's around you that you can attack how is this a auto match system... but i do see now that the amount of citys are static

if u have a dev post on the auto match thing let me know plz

Josh Warner 09-24-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stinkylover (Post 19005)
Bryan Oakley's

Q. In the MMORTS, will you be able to choose not to get attacked by another human player?.
A. There is a way to stop other players from attacking you, but it drains your resources. If another player chooses to attack you, you can simply pay a tribute and the fighting will not start. Also, when you first set up your MMORTS city, you will not be able to be attacked for a little while.

Danny Vink

Added February 20, 2009
Q. Will you be able to see other players on the world map during MMORTS mode?
A. Not all the time - and what you`ll see on the World map is gonna be 1/100th of all user activity. We will show armies and cities allied to the player - and perhaps units and cities which the player can immediately fight
against - that would already be enough to fill the world map. Also stuff like your player armies or cities under attack might be shown as well. For example, your army of Level 5 is in Wold Region. There are 500 total player armies and 200 cities in the Wold Region. Out of all of these, only 300 armies and 70 cities are close to your army's level and can be engaged.

also

Konstantin Fomenko

Think Total War games. You move armies and select cities on the World Map. But unlike Total War, where player only gets into RTS view during the battle, in DoF player can at any time see his Army/Town in RTS view

so i sorrta found my own answere but as for a auto match system how can that be if u can be attacked against your will, also you do move your armys around like in total war, finaly

Q. In the MMORTS mode, will players be restricted to only one territory or will they be allowed to own a conquered territory and have one additional castle on the world map?
A. Every player may have up to 4 cities of various races. At higher levels additional cities can be conquered.

so if you move around like in total war u can capture other peoples city's you can be attacked against your will and have to pay tribute and you can see city's around you that you can attack how is this a auto match system... but i do see now that the amount of citys are static

if u have a dev post on the auto match thing let me know plz

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 18498)
Something along these lines...but such approach would be quite rare.

Dawn of Fantasy Player vs Player

Random auto-match is the main way to start a PvP. Just select your army, open Player vs Player tab and click "find an opponent." With-in seconds you will see your army in RTS view in-front of another player`s army or city (+ allies)
Auto-match will search through hundreds of online player town and armies next to your army, find opponent about your size, and start the game (unless the opponent auto-match found sues for peace and pays you off)

There are several options player can choose for the auto-match: to attack alone or with ally, to only look for player armies and/or player towns. What race to engage and so on.

Also if someone paid you off, or you have just won a battle, you will have to wait couple of minutes before you can use Auto-Match feature again.

Sure some may find such approach a bit unrealistic or limiting - but think about this from the gameplay persepctive - would you rather be fighting, or spending 5+ minutes looking for an opponent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konstantin Fomenko (Post 18551)
You just get them to play as the same race, in the same starting region. This will be close enougth when it comes to PvP.

Right now it`s around a minute, but we`ll most likely increase that to 5+ minutes

Yes, there are numerous caps - both overall population, army size, hometown population, resource cap for hometown and for your armies. Most of these caps can be increased by building, research, unit composition of the army, level of the army e.t.c...

The main problem here is a fair-play - so you can ONLY manually attack cities and armies of about same level (or number of units) as your Army. So on the target selection list, we`ll only show such players.
But during beta we might change that - if people want to attack stronger opponent - we`ll let them.

Yes, under player control. For example: Player can "Garrison" armies in his hometown. Garrisoned armies setup camps near the city (same RTS map), and can be controlled by the player. If player is attack these garrisoned armies will automatically relocate to the city - and there player will have control of all these units.

There that should clear some things up, I forgot about the list.

This is all from the thread in my sig, the first one. Media Section Orc MMO.

Ironic 09-25-2009 12:57 AM

as much as i would like a fully "realistic" world where everything exists at any one time this use of instancing is probably the only way to do it at this time

wills370 09-25-2009 10:58 AM

Sounds a good system to me although if there is a limit to players who are within your range to attack. one everyone is one level to begin with we could have major lag problems untill the spread ocurs as thoose more active progress.
That is likely im guessing to be capped to prevent this however.

Would be nice if each server divided players into a map say 70 people on per map and then as it wittles out the weakest players (they once loosed will be transported to a new region). They carry on battleing and merging regions so you always have people of similiar skill level to you in your map.

Josh Warner 09-25-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wills370 (Post 19029)
Sounds a good system to me although if there is a limit to players who are within your range to attack. one everyone is one level to begin with we could have major lag problems untill the spread ocurs as thoose more active progress.
That is likely im guessing to be capped to prevent this however.

Would be nice if each server divided players into a map say 70 people on per map and then as it wittles out the weakest players (they once loosed will be transported to a new region). They carry on battleing and merging regions so you always have people of similiar skill level to you in your map.

err, the map will be clean. The way he describes it there will be a list somewhere in game that lets you select nearby/same strength targets, not dots on the map or anything..

wills370 09-27-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haeso (Post 19033)
err, the map will be clean. The way he describes it there will be a list somewhere in game that lets you select nearby/same strength targets, not dots on the map or anything..

Hmm fair enough. Thought that would be the case. I didnt mean to make it sound like it would be a messy may either. Just with the activty and amount of players as similar level would give the servers alot more work