PDA

View Full Version : Pause Ability

Silent_Lamb
08-28-2007, 11:29 PM
I'd like to see some sort of pause ability in Dawn of Fantasy. Not in multiplayer, that would be ridiculous for obvious reasons, but in the single player campaign and skirmishes.

I've said this before, games can get a little hectic, and it never hurts to take a step back without actually removing yourself from the combat. Some of you may know about BioShock, BioShock did this really well. Holding down the Right or Left Bumper (I mean this feature for both the PC and 360 versions of Dawn of Fantasy) you can pull up your list of weapons or plasmids and it will pause the game and let you choose one of either that best suits the situation.

So I think if done properly, a pause feature could be really good. Say for example, your engaging an enemy army in single player, you hit (for very rough example) Z or the Right Bumper, it pauses the game so long as it's held down (or it can be an on off thing). But, you will still be able to move around the map, select units, and give orders, and those orders will be carried out after the pause button is let go. Let's say for example, you've got some knights up on the hill, and your in fighting below the hill, trying to keep all your units in line, pull back the right people, ect, ect. You suddenly see some archer units march up behind them, well, you can drag yourself over to those knights wasting valuable time, or you can pause, switch over, tell them to attack, then drag yourself back over and let go of the pause.

Some people might complain about realism, but how is the general (you) waiting until you have the units in plain site from a birds eye view to give them the order more realistic than the general (you) just shouting, knight attack those archers. On the console version, I think the pause feature would allow for a much more easier and smooth gameplay experience, making up for a lot of the short comings consoles experience when hosting RTS games.

Hotkeyes (Not available on the console) do a good job of easing this, but for people like me who can often get flustered during a game and often end up sacrificing units in split second decisions, even with the use of hot keys, it's nice to be able to take a short break from all the chaos and access the situation.

Thoughts?

Darvin
08-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Pause features have a dubious other side. They all too easily become crutches for players, and become that "panic button". Then, when those players decide to go online, their panic button is gone and they are completely overwhelmed. This can be a serious turn-off. There's no questioning that it makes the game much easier to play, but the question is whether the tradeoff is worthwhile.

That said, multiplayer "time outs" are fairly standard in most games. The time out feature is usually turned off in competitive modes (or restricted), but is useful in friendly or network matches. You are unable to give orders during a time-out, as they are meant for convenience purposes, not to ease gameplay.

Silent_Lamb
08-29-2007, 01:55 AM
I think that the developers would have to overlook something the player him/herself could deal with themselves, and focus on gameplay. From the experiences I've had with pause features, not the pause in multiplayer that you mentioned Darvin, but one where you could still give orders, it only enhances the gameplay.

Whether or not it's a crutch players have to deal with, well if your really going to take your online play seriously I don't think this is too much to worry about. You'd realize that that crutch would not carry over to online play, and you'd online more, or use the feature in single player less.

Darvin
08-29-2007, 02:07 AM
I can't disagree with those points, which is why I said:

the question is whether the tradeoff is worthwhile.

The key is to remember that there is a tradeoff here, and try to minimize it. The game should not only be possible, but fun and manageable, without the pause feature. Huge battles in the Total War series just aren't manageable without pause, which is why only small skirmishes are realistically viable in multiplayer.

Silent_Lamb
08-29-2007, 03:16 AM
No argument on this end.

olauwers
08-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Well, great examples for this are Stronghold Legends, which has a pause function, but no possibility to order units around or build stuff while paused and Stronghold 2, which has a pause function, where you can still give orders and build things.

Both are great games, and the different pause features implicate different tactics. However, in games versus the AI player, I think it is a good idea, since the AI plyer can multi-task and give different orders to different troops and builders at exactly the same time, whilst humans cannot do such things. Of course, when playing against another human, this is not needed, for both players are equal in that perspective.

Therefor, I think it would be a nice add-on for singleplayer games, but it shouldn't be used in multiplayer (but I'd love some sort of pause function, where you can just stop the game for a short bathroom-break and things like that)

Darvin
08-29-2007, 11:32 AM
(but I'd love some sort of pause function, where you can just stop the game for a short bathroom-break and things like that)

That's what is called a "time out". They're very handy for friendly matches, but against random people or in a competitive sense, it becomes a method to annoy the other player. Hence, the feature should be optional.

SPARROW94
08-29-2007, 02:13 PM
<<<lol dude i think in every game theres a pause ability>>>

olauwers
08-29-2007, 02:15 PM
That's what is called a "time out". They're very handy for friendly matches, but against random people or in a competitive sense, it becomes a method to annoy the other player. Hence, the feature should be optional.

I wouldn't make it optional, I just'd make it that both can put it off, once one of them has put it on. That way, you can agree on bathroom breaks and such.

SPARROW94
08-29-2007, 02:24 PM
i think its a waste of time

olauwers
08-29-2007, 04:05 PM
What? Going to pee?

The Witch King of Angmar
08-29-2007, 06:06 PM
What? Going to pee?

Where did that come from?

Silent_Lamb
08-29-2007, 07:00 PM
*Sighs*

Sparrow, I don't think you get what I am saying at all. You should really read the post, instead of coming in here and saying it's a waste of time.

There is a difference between pausing by bringing up the main menu, doing one of those multiplayer pauses, and having a Medieval Total War 2 style or BioShock style pause. They are all very different things.

As I was saying, the ability would be ridiculous online because it would just be used to annoy people. The feature should be single player, only.

SPARROW94
08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
lol dude i never pause my games lol i just find a good spot to hide for a long time...so yeah i do not know the difference i think its just straight

Ndition
08-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Pause options can be abused, and actually force other people to drop the game.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah single-player only because it would mess up the game for other players if they have to stop playing just because you are leaving the game. Plus I rarely ever pause online except to get out of games.

Sharku
08-30-2007, 07:13 PM
I definatly support a pause button. I don't care if you can control units or not, stopping and taking a look at the battlefield can really help. B4ME lacked this and i tihkn it kind of took away from the epicness because there was only so much you could watch.

SPARROW94
08-30-2007, 09:01 PM
oh u mean replays there pal this is PAUSE, options, save, load, quit, restart. get it right

Silent_Lamb
08-31-2007, 12:55 AM
oh u mean replays there pal this is PAUSE, options, save, load, quit, restart. get it right

No Sparrow your wrong as well. Again, read the topic before replying. I'll explain it again, pause, in game. Not in the menu, not bringing up the menu to access the options. Pausing in game while still being able to command units, give orders, move around the map, ect. They won't act out these orders, but they will when you turn off the pause. This is not the menu Sparrow, what so ever.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-31-2007, 03:03 PM
No Sparrow your wrong as well. Again, read the topic before replying. I'll explain it again, pause, in game. Not in the menu, not bringing up the menu to access the options. Pausing in game while still being able to command units, give orders, move around the map, ect. They won't act out these orders, but they will when you turn off the pause. This is not the menu Sparrow, what so ever.

Would all players get acess to this as well as still play the game while you are doing this?

Thanks

Silent_Lamb
08-31-2007, 07:40 PM
This would not be in multi player what so ever. It would be ridiculous to include it in multi player, this would be a single player feature, only.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-31-2007, 08:34 PM
This would not be in multi player what so ever. It would be ridiculous to include it in multi player, this would be a single player feature, only.

Yeah. I really don't think it's that big of an issue though.

Silent_Lamb
09-02-2007, 03:55 AM
Well of course it's not that big of an issue. I'm not pushing some suggestion with the title "Please make sure game works". I just think it would be a neat little feature that would help those of us who can't take tactical decisions from our brain and immediately transfer it to the mouse and into the game.

I need time to think out my decisions sometimes, that's why I'd like this feature.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Well of course it's not that big of an issue. I'm not pushing some suggestion with the title "Please make sure game works". I just think it would be a neat little feature that would help those of us who can't take tactical decisions from our brain and immediately transfer it to the mouse and into the game.

I need time to think out my decisions sometimes, that's why I'd like this feature.

Yeah but on multiplayer people would have to think alot faster.

Silent_Lamb
09-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Yes. I'm just having trouble understanding your point. Games online are in general a much different experience than single player matches in the first place. They are usually much more difficult depending on who you are playing with. The ability to stop the game and think is already in single player matches, it's just not equipped with a lot of the features I think would make it more interesting.

An example of this is, if your in a complicated battle and you want to step back and think you can always just open up the menu. People usually don't do this, but the option is there, just not refined. So, technically you could pause the game now, something you can't do online (usually unless both people agree to it). So, you've already got this ability, people who don't want to use it don't use, and those who do want to use it are left with just having to bring up the menu.

To sum up my point, if you don't want to develop a crutch then you wouldn't be forced to use the ability. If you really thought that it would hinder your ability to play online then avoid it, but I still think it would be a really enjoyable ability that would add a more strategical element to the game, and also let you pull off those complicated maneuvers you want to.

:D

The Witch King of Angmar
09-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Yes. I'm just having trouble understanding your point. Games online are in general a much different experience than single player matches in the first place. They are usually much more difficult depending on who you are playing with. The ability to stop the game and think is already in single player matches, it's just not equipped with a lot of the features I think would make it more interesting.

An example of this is, if your in a complicated battle and you want to step back and think you can always just open up the menu. People usually don't do this, but the option is there, just not refined. So, technically you could pause the game now, something you can't do online (usually unless both people agree to it). So, you've already got this ability, people who don't want to use it don't use, and those who do want to use it are left with just having to bring up the menu.

To sum up my point, if you don't want to develop a crutch then you wouldn't be forced to use the ability. If you really thought that it would hinder your ability to play online then avoid it, but I still think it would be a really enjoyable ability that would add a more strategical element to the game, and also let you pull off those complicated maneuvers you want to.

:D

I'm just saying i a multiplayer match it would be kind of unfair for say a group of pros to be able to pause their game, think a complex strategy through and to do it. Multi-player should be fast-paced to me.

Silent_Lamb
09-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Ok so, I still think you don't get what I'm saying. Again, for probably the fifth time, it would not be in multiplayer. Singleplayer only.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Ok so, I still think you don't get what I'm saying. Again, for probably the fifth time, it would not be in multiplayer. Singleplayer only.

No I know that. I'm saying if it were in multi-player mode it would make things alot less fun.

Silent_Lamb
09-03-2007, 06:02 PM
No I know that. I'm saying if it were in multi-player mode it would make things alot less fun.

Oh ok haha, see this is why I'm getting confused. Alright yeah I agree it would be really dumb in multiplayer mode.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Oh ok haha, see this is why I'm getting confused. Alright yeah I agree it would be really dumb in multiplayer mode.

Glad we got that cleared up. Lol. :D

SPARROW94
09-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Thank God>>> Debat Is Over

Silent_Lamb
09-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Thank God>>> Debat Is Over

There was no debate, we were trying to figure each other out. Any other comments on this people?

The Witch King of Angmar
09-10-2007, 03:27 PM
There was no debate, we were trying to figure each other out. Any other comments on this people?

I hope SPARROW isn't going to start another debate. :D

SPARROW94
09-11-2007, 08:47 PM
LOL omg i laughed so hard when you said that...

The Witch King of Angmar
09-12-2007, 02:16 PM
LMAO omg i laughed so hard when you said that...

Deep breaths SPARROW, deep breaths. :D

SPARROW94
09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
LOL now i need yoga to calm the soul

The Witch King of Angmar
09-19-2007, 02:24 PM
LOL now i need yoga to calm the soul

Ohmmmmmm. Ohmmmmmm. (Y). Lol peace sign upside-down.

ShadowyMoon
10-01-2007, 02:04 AM
The pause feature is really handy in singleplayer but I think it should be in multi too for obvious things like a bathroom break. Though to prevent abuse of it there should be max time that the game can be paused (2-5 mins?) and max pauses per game (1-2?).

Gallivan
10-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Maybe instead of pause you could simply have the computer take over your troops while you: pee, mow the lawn, etc.?

ShadowyMoon
10-01-2007, 01:45 PM
If the AI is good enough than it would be a nice option. But I don't have much faith in AIs.

Gallivan
10-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Yes, but you shouldn't leave for time enough for the AI to screw up. The AI should just continuing gathering resources, and only attack if you are attacked first. That way they don't waste your forces that you might be saving.

So when you come back, you'll have more resources, the same forces, and hopefully - an intact stronghold. :P

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Yes, but you shouldn't leave for time enough for the AI to screw up. The AI should just continuing gathering resources, and only attack if you are attacked first. That way they don't waste your forces that you might be saving.

So when you come back, you'll have more resources, the same forces, and hopefully - an intact stronghold. :P

Yeah hopefully they won't leave your gates open and just let armies swarm in. :p

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 05:18 PM
lol that would suck

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 06:07 PM
I don't really have mutch faith in AIs generally and having my empire in the hands of an AI in MMO mode is something I wouldn't want.

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 06:11 PM
people online would bring AI on there team and put them on an extremly hard level like C&c3 brutals

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't really have mutch faith in AIs generally and having my empire in the hands of an AI in MMO mode is something I wouldn't want.

Yeah like every 5 minutes in the middle of the night I will be getting up to check if my armies are still there.

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 07:03 PM
You can't be attacked while sleeping. If the AI took over your empire while you're offline I'd develop insomnia...

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 07:04 PM
lol and i would join your game and start making your base look emo

jap88
10-02-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm already an insomniac so if you could get attacked when you're offline it wouldn't matter much :p

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 07:07 PM
lol and i would join your game and start making your base look emo

Can you do that?

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 07:09 PM
And one of the new features in DoF will be emo bases! Rejoice! rofl...

jap88
10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
I hope they add an option for Goth, Nerd, Geek, Preppy....

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
And one of the new features in DoF will be emo bases! Rejoice! rofl...

I'd like mine to look techno. That would be weird but cool.

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 07:24 PM
My Base Is Kinky But No One Can Koin My Alliaince

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Back on topic I still think that the 2-3 min pause per game is the best. The AI could take over AFTER that if you're not back I suppose.

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 07:28 PM
in the bigs you only had 2 pauses in the whole game ov xboxlive

The Witch King of Angmar
10-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Back on topic I still think that the 2-3 min pause per game is the best. The AI could take over AFTER that if you're not back I suppose.

Would the pause be for everyone or what?

ShadowyMoon
10-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Of course it would be for everyone. How else can a multiplayer pause work?

SPARROW94
10-03-2007, 06:18 PM
LOL might i suggest common sense

The Witch King of Angmar
10-03-2007, 06:21 PM
LOL might i suggest common sense

I really didn't understand what he meant by the pause thing.

SPARROW94
10-03-2007, 06:22 PM
its okey im here for you

LordSlayer
04-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Does every one have a 2-3 min pause, or is only like 1 per team? Because if every one had one and you played 4 vs 4, then you could get a total pause time of 24 minutes in a row :eek: f every one did them one after the other.