PDA

View Full Version : map sizes

darath
08-27-2007, 05:54 AM
will the map on the dof web be split into sections for the game or played all at once

Darvin
08-27-2007, 01:10 PM
From what we've heard, individual battles are all instanced, so you're probably looking at a square region with set boundaries.

Joseph Visscher
08-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Depends on the map, althought most maps are masive; I would say maybe 2-5 times biger then bfme1-2/cnc3 maps

SPARROW94
08-29-2007, 02:16 PM
<<<wicked Aseome>>>

Darvin
08-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Max zoom out:

http://dawnoffantasy.com/media/screen19.jpg

Since our maps vary greatly in size I`ll have to describe it myself by giving a few examples from standard skirmish gameplay.

Map with two player towns on it would be around 6 by 6 max zoomed out screens.

Map with four player towns - 9 by 9.

With 6 player towns - 11 by 11.

With 8 - 13 by 13.

I found that pretty informative, myself.

Ndition
08-30-2007, 12:59 PM
We all love huge maps don't we? :D

The Witch King of Angmar
08-30-2007, 03:13 PM
We all love huge maps don't we? :D

Yes indeed. I love them when they have huge castles too. You kow what would be cool? A map with all abandoned castles that you have to capture and then fight. Oh another question which I think might have been asked, (if so sorry for double posting) can you take the remains of an enemy castle and build it up into another castle for your army?

Thanks

Darvin
08-30-2007, 05:54 PM
I've always felt that buildings should leave behind ruins, and those ruins should in turn impart a discount if you build over them (re-using the destroyed structure, so to speak). Being able to capture walls should go without saying.

Super Nova
08-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Or u could Loot the ruins to get more resourses.That is if u dont want another castle.

Just like on Supreme Commander

Darvin
08-30-2007, 06:47 PM
I don't think stone foundations are exactly worth money. I think being able to assume control of a base would be nice, but being able to liquidate it into resources could only feed what's commonly referred to as the "steamroller" effect, where the momentum from one victory inevitably leads to the next, resulting in imminent defeat for one player.

SPARROW94
08-30-2007, 08:57 PM
super novas point is better

The Witch King of Angmar
08-31-2007, 03:07 PM
super novas point is better

I think they are both good.

olauwers
08-31-2007, 04:24 PM
I do not like the idea of looting the castle. I think that, gaining a new castle, might bring you some coin or something, from golden/silver artifacts that were left in the castle, the treasure room, ... But I do not think you should have the option to just loot the castle.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-31-2007, 08:37 PM
I do not like the idea of looting the castle. I think that, gaining a new castle, might bring you some coin or something, from golden/silver artifacts that were left in the castle, the treasure room, ... But I do not think you should have the option to just loot the castle.

I'd really just like to build over the ruins with maybe a cheaper building cost.

Darvin
08-31-2007, 11:00 PM
I don't have too much of a problem with looting buildings for money, but I don't feel you should be able to uproot building foundations for profit <_<

The Witch King of Angmar
09-01-2007, 01:08 PM
I don't have too much of a problem with looting buildings for money, but I don't feel you should be able to uproot building foundations for profit <_<

That really doesn’t make that much sense too me.

Silent_Lamb
09-02-2007, 03:57 AM

Reduced cost for new buildings? Dissembling captured buildings for necessary materials, or something like reduced build time.

frankein_fish
09-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Reduced cost for new buildings? Dissembling captured buildings for necessary materials, or something like reduced build time.

That would be the best system if you ask me :p

Joseph Visscher
09-05-2007, 01:14 PM

You would probibly get Stone resource looted from stone walls rather gold or "money".

I hope destroyed castle walls can be re-used for your own;like orcs overtake a human castle and kill everything inside and then use the human walls as their own, that would be cool. although I think Orc walls look cooler then human's... ;)

also about the map size, it really depends on the map, some will be massive some will be medium, still being zoomed all the way out is zoomed out very far, if you zoom all the way out a soldier looks like an Ant! Anyways there will be maps of all sizes.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-05-2007, 03:20 PM
You would probibly get Stone resource looted from stone walls rather gold or "money".

I hope destroyed castle walls can be re-used for your own;like orcs overtake a human castle and kill everything inside and then use the human walls as their own, that would be cool. although I think Orc walls look cooler then human's... ;)

also about the map size, it really depends on the map, some will be massive some will be medium, still being zoomed all the way out is zoomed out very far, if you zoom all the way out a soldier looks like an Ant! Anyways there will be maps of all sizes.

I was thinking it would be like Osgiliath except with like some battle scars to show the damage done.