PDA

View Full Version : Economy

Erandur
08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
something i've been trying to do in a lot of games, is getting 1 spot in my town really crowded, i've tried it on the settlers IV, wasn't exacly succesful... the best so far was on anno 1701, getting to the highest civilisation level, building a town center, and put a house everywhere within the area of effect of the town center :D altough it wasn't bad, i'd suggest dawn of fantasy has a way of getting lots of villagers in the same place

olauwers
08-21-2007, 12:57 PM
What exactly would be the point in that? Wouldn't it make your economy extra-vulnerable, because they only have to attack that spot and your economy is dead?

Darvin
08-21-2007, 01:53 PM
I guess that's why you'd build a big wall around it, now wouldn't you?

Ndition
08-21-2007, 02:00 PM
something i've been trying to do in a lot of games, is getting 1 spot in my town really crowded, i've tried it on the settlers IV, wasn't exacly succesful... the best so far was on anno 1701, getting to the highest civilisation level, building a town center, and put a house everywhere within the area of effect of the town center :D altough it wasn't bad, i'd suggest dawn of fantasy has a way of getting lots of villagers in the same place

Good idea, that would make the city more realistic!

olauwers
08-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I guess that's why you'd build a big wall around it, now wouldn't you?

Well... Big walls can be breached :D But what I just wanted to know was what the advantage of doing such was? Or do you just like the sight?

Darvin
08-21-2007, 02:32 PM
In reality, busy marketplaces were centers of commerce, attracting people from all around. However, in the middle ages, crowds were not a symptom of lots of people, but rather than lack of space, since people built in tight clusters inside walls.

olauwers
08-21-2007, 02:35 PM
Oh, so this is a purely realistic thing? Then I'm with you on this ;)

Ryan Zelazny
08-24-2007, 03:11 PM
Fortresses do tend to have their houses really packed together, however there are other important buildings like barracks and that mixed in. I think our fortresses reflect more how they would appear if they existed in real-life, as the units would have to live within the city somewhere.

SPARROW94
08-27-2007, 07:54 PM
also i noticed in some pics that the fortesses were very big and all the building were very close to the wall and close to each other so that kinda seems hard and long to build

olauwers
08-28-2007, 02:40 AM
also i noticed in some pics that the fortesses were very big and all the building were very close to the wall and close to each other so that kinda seems hard and long to build

Yes, which is exactly what real fortresses were like :D

SPARROW94
08-28-2007, 07:42 AM
but it kinda looks very hard to build for me that iss

olauwers
08-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh, no, no, no, you just place one building at a time ;) They didn't plan or build all the real fortresses all at once. They just built a basic fortress, then needed more space for people, so they expanded, with more houses, then they needed a blacksmith, so they got one. And so on, and so forth.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Oh, no, no, no, you just place one building at a time ;) They didn't plan or build all the real fortresses all at once. They just built a basic fortress, then needed more space for people, so they expanded, with more houses, then they needed a blacksmith, so they got one. And so on, and so forth.

Yeah I really like the forts in DOF. And since they are all pre-built it saves me the time of building one out of scratch.

Ryan Zelazny
08-28-2007, 01:11 PM
but it kinda looks very hard to build for me that iss

Fortresses are pretty much pre-built, you will choose certain configurations and then build within plots on the inside of them. It actually is very easy to build.

olauwers
08-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Is there a possibility (single-player, free-play, no fighting, just building or something) to build them up from scratch? I'd so love that.

Ryan Zelazny
08-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Is there a possibility (single-player, free-play, no fighting, just building or something) to build them up from scratch? I'd so love that.

At the moment there isn't a mode to build a fortress from scratch other than building one in the Editor. Though a "sandbox" sort of mode where you could is a good idea we will consider.

olauwers
08-29-2007, 06:26 AM
That'd be awesome!

SPARROW94
08-29-2007, 01:10 PM
i like the build some thign in the bo part better

olauwers
08-29-2007, 03:06 PM
i like the build some thign in the bo part better

Which is what they are goin to do ;) They might, however, make an extra mode, a free-build mode, where you can just build away, without having to worry for enemies ;)

SPARROW94
08-30-2007, 12:34 AM
but where would all the action go!!! i get bored of making forts

Ndition
08-30-2007, 12:30 PM

I'd love that too

Ryan Zelazny
08-30-2007, 01:16 PM
That shouldn't be hard at all to add. I'll talk it over with the programming department and make sure.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
I'd love that too

In BFME I just let my comp player be on my team against nobody so basically I could do that exact same thing. That would be a good way to get a feel for the game.

SPARROW94
08-30-2007, 08:02 PM
i still despise that idea

Silent_Lamb
08-30-2007, 11:59 PM
i still despise that idea

Sandbox mode Sparrow. You wouldn't have to, it's optional... You don't have to do it to my knowledge.

I like the idea too, it would be pretty cool.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-31-2007, 02:01 PM
Sandbox mode Sparrow. You wouldn't have to, it's optional... You don't have to do it to my knowledge.

I like the idea too, it would be pretty cool.

I'd use it to be creative or to fool around with. I just think that it would be an extra that would be pretty cool to have.

olauwers
08-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Lol, Sparrow, really, read posts first before you comment on them :D

It's just an extra, optional mode ;) Nothing neccesary ;)

Joseph Visscher
09-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Fortresses are pretty much pre-built, you will choose certain configurations and then build within plots on the inside of them. It actually is very easy to build.

I hope its not like that in the final version, maybe a option for it so u can build everything how u want it. sort of just like placing stuff in the editor except buildings can be built on top of each other of course, like make your own unique wall positions etc. Building should build really slow in the first place it wouldn’t be hard to make a really cool never seen before fortress in a few minutes. maybe have a buildible radius like in cnc3. ( altohugh it would be massive!)
Having it where you just press buttons and everything builds in order is to repetitive.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-12-2007, 05:51 PM
I hope its not like that in the final version, maybe a option for it so u can build everything how u want it. sort of just like placing stuff in the editor except buildings can be built on top of each other of course, like make your own unique wall positions etc. Building should build really slow in the first place it wouldn’t be hard to make a really cool never seen before fortress in a few minutes. maybe have a buildible radius like in cnc3. ( altohugh it would be massive!)
Having it where you just press buttons and everything builds in order is to repetitive.

If this is made, don't screw it up like in BFME2 where forts looked like crap. Actually, I like pre-built forts if they are done right.

olauwers
09-13-2007, 12:27 PM
I still think there should just be an extra free-build mode, where you can just build your castle. These castles could then maybe be used in real games, by carrying them over in one way or another.

Puppeteer
09-13-2007, 01:07 PM
One thing I liked about Stronghold 2 was a sandbox mode, where you had free reign to build a castle or anything you wanted with no worry of bandits or enemy players. Once you were satisfied with beautifying your fortress then you could schedule an easy/medium/hard army to attack. Incorporating something like that into the game would be good, as it building a big castle is a lot of fun for me.

iceblast
09-13-2007, 01:56 PM
i like the bfme2 gamestyle

really you should be able to choose on each map a different scenario

defend
bfme2 style gameplay "all arms down"
siege
or bfme1 castle "hide in castle until pwnage army"

The Witch King of Angmar
09-13-2007, 02:58 PM
i like the bfme2 gamestyle

really you should be able to choose on each map a different scenario

defend
bfme2 style gameplay "all arms down"
siege
or bfme1 castle "hide in castle until pwnage army"

Unfortunatly, in those games you would lose most of the time.

Gallivan
09-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Has there been any discussion or revelation as to what will fuel the economy?

(Lumber, gold, fish, etc.?)

Ryan Zelazny
09-13-2007, 04:00 PM
We have 4 resources that create the economy in DoF. Food, Gold, Wood and Stone.

jap88
09-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Sounds like Age of Empires then.

Joseph Visscher
09-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Sounds like Age of Empires then.
For them most part yes, although i think its better, there are a lot new ways of geting resources such as owning sheep and selling wool for gold. or just killing your enemies armies and looting there corpses for gold and other resources.

Personaly If we add any more resources i think it would be two complex and muti-tasking. If we have different resources it wouldn't make much sense because those are really the main resources they had back then. Food. Wood for weapons ( bows and arrows) and walls and buildings. Stone for walls and buildings. Gold for trading and basicly its 'money' used a payment for soldiers or tributes to allies etc.

Gallivan
09-13-2007, 07:53 PM
I think it's commonly accepted that either two or four are the number of resources you have.

The less you have, the more depth you lose. The more and you risk becoming a trading simulation, and you really lose focus on what the game is meant to attain.

Darvin
09-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Some games do a good job with a single resource; the early C&C games are great examples of this. Warcraft III (without expansion) can almost be thought of to have one resource because of how little wood you need compared to how plentiful it is on every map. As well, there's nothing wrong with three resources.

With that said, I tend to agree that four is the max. Any more and it becomes a little too much to manage on the go.

Gallivan
09-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Another resource-sided question. What will the unit max limit be? 200? 400?

And will different units add differently to that maximum? For example, a large orc taking 8 points but a small only taking 1.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Another resource-sided question. What will the unit max limit be? 200? 400?

And will different units add differently to that maximum? For example, a large orc taking 8 points but a small only taking 1.

They said before I think that thousands of units could be on a screen.

Darvin
09-14-2007, 10:15 AM
It's probably too early to say exact numbers; those could always change. I think the qualitative examples given by Reverie are a decent representation of what to expect. As for variable unit population cost, I'm pretty confident that will be the case.

Puppeteer
09-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Unfortunatly, in those games you would lose most of the time.

Someone has to win ;)

I like the idea of having the traditional resources, because cnc3 has only 1 (well, 1 +1/2) which is realy strange making metal buildings out of tiberium. In stronghold 2 they have:
Gold, Wood, Meat, Bread, Wheat, Flour, Apples, Cheese, Stone, Iron, Hops, Beer, Geese, Eels, Pig, Grapes, Wine, Candles, Bee's Wax, Pitch, Wool, Cloth and Vegetables. As you can see, it was a tad excessive, including making the weapons as well.

iceblast
09-14-2007, 10:36 AM
but why would i lose? im a uber pwner in bfme2

Darvin
09-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Unless you're playing a FFA, there is a winner for every loser. While it's true that some people intentionally play against worse opponents to artificially inflate their win %, you shouldn't let it bother you.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Someone has to win ;)

I like the idea of having the traditional resources, because cnc3 has only 1 (well, 1 +1/2) which is realy strange making metal buildings out of tiberium. In stronghold 2 they have:
Gold, Wood, Meat, Bread, Wheat, Flour, Apples, Cheese, Stone, Iron, Hops, Beer, Geese, Eels, Pig, Grapes, Wine, Candles, Bee's Wax, Pitch, Wool, Cloth and Vegetables. As you can see, it was a tad excessive, including making the weapons as well.

I like the style DoF put in because it adds new options to the gameplay and, at the same time, isn't overly complicated.

Puppeteer
09-15-2007, 07:13 AM
I was annoyed that in Age of Mythology and Age of Empires 3 (not as much the latter) that microsoft omitted stone.

jap88
09-15-2007, 07:56 AM
I kind of liked the excessive resources that you needed in stronghold 2 :p

Puppeteer
09-15-2007, 03:03 PM
It was fun but all the rats and gong and crime was excessive

jap88
09-15-2007, 04:15 PM
I can agree with those 3, yes. I didn't mind the resources but when it came to my buildings constantly shutting down because someone was stealing something every 5 seconds that just became too much.

frankein_fish
09-16-2007, 05:15 AM
Same that happens to me all the time :p
ooops! forgot "thing" sry

*Joseph V* try not to spam Frankein, use the edit post button on your replys. Thanks.

LordSlayer
04-19-2008, 02:45 PM
It was fun but all the rats and gong and crime was excessive

I think that those are the things the made Sh2 not nearly as fun as Sh or ShC.

I think they should add events that stop or delay poduction in Dof, as long as they don't stop production for too long and too happen nearly as often as they did in Sh2.

Puppeteer
04-20-2008, 02:36 PM
You know how hard it was on Stronghold 1 to make a little bit of wheat when all you got was those darn randy rabbits breeding and rubbing your nose in it. And strange cow maladies...

LordSlayer
04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
You know how hard it was on Stronghold 1 to make a little bit of wheat when all you got was those darn randy rabbits breeding and rubbing your nose in it. And strange cow maladies...

and the random sorcery thing that made your orchard stop making apples? Yea I remember:mad:

Puppeteer
04-26-2008, 07:18 AM
I wonder if we can operate a "Scorched Earth Policy" so if you're retreating and don't have time to properly destroy and loot buildings, you can salt fields, steal resources, collapse things and just set fire in your wake.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Peasents or workers may be able to do that.

Puppeteer
04-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Seen this pic on website, maybe it is possible as it looks like it could be done:
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8917/dof2gf8.th.jpg (http://img520.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dof2gf8.jpg)
Or maybe it's faction specific, like Orcs and Dragons

The Witch King of Angmar
04-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I'd think all factions could do it.

LordSlayer
04-27-2008, 06:08 AM
I'd think all factions could do it.

If only 2 factions can do it, they the other ones should get something else equally powerfull or they should just let everyone do it.

Diggz
04-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Scorched earth would be relatively easy to do, if you have a fire effect, e.g. fire arrows or a fireball, you could "attack ground" so that it lights a fire, on the contrary, if you have a fireball and hit a group of people in the trees, the trees will light on fire and the fire would, could, or even should spread to your stuff.

It'd be a good terror weapon on the offensive, but if you're defending don't use them flamin' arrows... that sheep farm may not be there for long.

Plus, in good ol' dragon fashion, we could see a dragon flying over to incinerate some trees and steal a sheep or two...

Puppeteer
04-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Scorched Earth, I think, did not only involve fire but generally making sure that anything in the path that you were retreating in would not be left useful for the encroaching enemy. By any means eg. they collapsed mines, salted fields, sabotaged machinery etc.

jarroll
04-27-2008, 01:19 PM
How about 'the plague' - requires holy men or similar to cure, and becomes very likely when you have very crowded cities?

jarroll
04-27-2008, 01:22 PM
We have 4 resources that create the economy in DoF. Food, Gold, Wood and Stone.

What about iron/copper too?

Darvin
04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Generally gold is taken to represent metals in general, since it is the most precious.

Diggz
04-28-2008, 05:39 PM
How about 'the plague' - requires holy men or similar to cure, and becomes very likely when you have very crowded cities?

Stronghold had diseases, it was a pain and awfully annoying unless you had a ton of herbalists that would dispel the plague clouds.

And for the scorched earth, I was saying flame as an alternative, seeing that i believe they implemented flaming terrain.