PDA

View Full Version : Will be looking for intern scenario designers and scripters soon.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Greetings,

It looks like we`ll be looking to fill several intern positions soon, looking for scenario designers, and lua scripters mostly, but might be couple of art department positions as well. And before we start active search we figured we`d give our forumers the heads-up first, I know there are at least a dozen of good scn designers here!

These intern positions are part-time, work at home, no obligations kind of deal, without direct compensation, just bonus payments and profit sharing. But dedicated participants will have the opportunity to become a full scenario designer with-in a few months.

You`ll get to play the game and QA the current content prior to the start of the closed beta, while you learn the DoF editor. And after several weeks of learning DoF scripting (lua) and working on your own fan projects with the DoF editor, you`ll take part in creating Dawn of Fantasy MMORTS quests and other content.

Basic Requirements are:

a good computer with shader 3 video card
16 years or older
15 hours per week minimal participation.
prior experience working on a solo or team mod or scenario design projects RTS or RPG (with released projects)

Expect the full announcement with applications early next week.

szebus
09-11-2009, 01:53 PM
This can be tried. Waiting for more info.

Kal Torak
09-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Awesome, I do have a TON of time, but my map making is limited to SC and Warcraft's though so I doubt I qualify, plus I don't really have any of the old stuff I made anymore. I'll probably be stuck with making my own maps off to the side after the editor is released heh. I suppose with time it's not too hard to learn much of anything so i'll try anyways :P

Puppeteer
09-11-2009, 02:00 PM
God, I'd love to apply for scenario designer. But I don't think I'm good enough, plus 15 hours is a big undertaking. I'll have to wait for the release to start mapping.
If only you'd announced this at the start of the summer holidays!

Kal Torak
09-11-2009, 02:02 PM
God, I'd love to apply for scenario editor. But I don't think I'm good enough, plus 15 hours is a big undertaking. I'll have to wait for the release to start mapping.
Yeah 15 hrs is a lot, especially for people over 18 who have a job, (2 hrs a day each day after work at the least) so I don't think many will have the opportunity. I'm gonna go for it anyways even with my terrible qualifications and low chances, I have waaay too much time on my hands and need a hobby.

Joseph Visscher
09-11-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't want to be teaching people for 2 weeks how to do minor tasks and mapping so our standards are quite high, if you think you are not good enough your probably right.
Mapping for older games ( 2d or barely 3d ) means nothing due to the level of detail modern RTS games have. The same cannot be said for older game programing or LUA scripting; Andy Joslin started from Age of Empires and is one of the smartest LUA programmers I've met.

Kal Torak
09-11-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't want to be teaching people for 2 weeks how to do minor tasks and mapping so our standards are quite high, if you don't think your good enough your probably right.
Yup heheh I figured as much for me at least, i'm still gonna go for it solo and see what I can learn on my own when the editor is released though. I won't waste your time with an application :P Shouldn't be hard to learn once I get my hands on a few maps to work off of.

Kaznafein
09-11-2009, 02:06 PM
You know I've always wanted to try out designing maps and scenarios and such but never got around to trying it. To bad I havent because if I had liked it I would defiantly apply :( o well to late now. Once this game comes out I'll most likely get around to trying it out.

szebus
09-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah 15 hrs is a lot, especially for people over 18 who have a job...
Still there are some who have some time even after work and anyways it is a weekly "program", then those 15 hours aren't 2 and a half our per day, this is just a time estimation for creating/making scenarios you need a week.

Kal Torak
09-11-2009, 02:10 PM
You know I've always wanted to try out designing maps and scenarios and such but never got around to trying it. To bad I havent because if I had liked it I would defiantly apply :( o well to late now.
May be too late to apply, but it's never too late to learn, just go solo like me. If you're on enough like me perhaps we can team up making a few if it's easy to do it that way.

Kal Torak
09-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Still there are some who have some time even after work and anyways it is a weekly "program", then those 15 hours aren't 2 and a half our per day, this is just a time estimation for creating/making scenarios you need a week.
True, depends more on part time/full/days off and how you spend that time I suppose. Personally I got like 15 hrs a day lolz, short of working out, goin places, and studying i'm kinda free all the time right now it sucks lol.

Speaking of which. Any word when CB1 testers will be able to get their hands on the map editor? It's something that could keep me busy right now actually heh.

szebus
09-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't want to be teaching people for 2 weeks how to do minor tasks and mapping so our standards are quite high, if you think you are not good enough your probably right.

True, true. :(

LiTos456
09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
-Must be 16 years or older

Wow, this sucks.
I guess I'll wait for a couple of years.
15 hours is a lot as well.

sneaky_squirrel
09-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Well I did turn 16 years about 8 days ago...I have a decent computer...I have too much free time...and I scenario design!

Expect an additional application from muah ;p.

Kal Torak
09-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Well I did turn 16 years about 8 days ago...I have a decent computer...I have too much free time...and I scenario design!

heh, wait for it, down boy down. May want to have your maps ready for when the time comes, i'm guessing they'll be wanting those to see what you have done.

Puppeteer
09-11-2009, 04:37 PM

Don't you have school? And other commitments? I wish I had more time to sign up to this...

sneaky_squirrel
09-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Well school is from 7 AM to 1:30 PM giving me 9 hours of time, I don't use much of that time for anything.

I certaintly have the time, well I better should get to compiling my work.

Kal Torak
09-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Well school is from 7 AM to 1:30 PM giving me 9 hours of time, I don't use much of that time for anything.

I certaintly have the time, well I better should get to compiling my work.
Well as I said before i'm up for a joint map making project as soon as they let me get my hands on the editor, i'm really curious to try a joint project. In the past the closest I ever did to that was fixing other peoples maps that had issues with triggers etc. Plus might be nice to learn the mapmaker with someone else, maybe pick up a few extra things sooner. I just hope they release a few maps with the editor to learn off of.

sneaky_squirrel
09-11-2009, 05:29 PM
All I need is a trigger list and time to expirement ;p.

I'd probably start making a map alone though.

Chris Harshman
09-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Really interested in this.

Can not wait for the application to fill out.

Kal Torak
09-11-2009, 05:54 PM
All I need is a trigger list and time to expirement ;p.

I'd probably start making a map alone though.
True, personally I don't enjoy making the environment much, I like making triggers, probably why i go around fixing other peoples maps when I see issues lol.

Darathor
09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I would apply, but I don't meet the qualifications.:(
However, I might have a go at making a few maps when I get the editor.

Josh Warner
09-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I have limited LUA experience, but I understand most of the functions simply due to the time spent in editors, and have 12+ hours a day I would be more than happy to dedicate to learning the ins and outs of your editor on my own, making custom content was always a passion of mine, the idea of being able to actually have it be part of the game is more than motivating enough to put that kind of time in for me personally, I'd likely put 6+ a day in anyway on my own time once the game comes out just because creating and refining my own maps has always been a passion of mine. This is a really great opportunity I'd love to be able to help out, even as an intern. I've certainly got the time to use and desire to do this, expect my application as soon as I see it available.

I really love the idea of possibly being able to work on MMORTS quests later on as well, one question though, would we be working on and adding more even after release? Or would that only be for someone who ends up getting hired.

sneaky_squirrel
09-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Already started gathering information for my aplication, so far I have like 6 successfully completed projects ;p.

Who else gonna send an aplication besides me?

Geez can't wait for next week...

Josh Warner
09-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Already started gathering information for my aplication, so far I have like 6 successfully completed projects ;p.

Who else gonna send an aplication besides me?

Geez can't wait for next week...

I'm trying to find old projects now really, I don't have them saved since everything but simple maps created for balanced competitive play in a couple more recent games like sins were 4+ years ago. If possible I'd like a more clear expectation from rev really and just try and put something together with wc3 solely for applying, what's acceptable.

I can slap together some examples of complicated function I know how to do most of it and could create maps showcasing each function from spawning a unit, to teleporting it and modifying it, or adjusting player values all sorts of wild things from creating systems that record kills for each player altering the units they control, possibly upgrading them to a different unit, anything I could ever think of I could get to work eventually, but the time to create a full project is beyond me even if I put 12+ hours a day in if we've only got a week

However I'm guessing you don't want us to be creating scenarios that totally convert gameplay? Just maps that could pass as one created by the company, playable with the normal game, possibly adding cinematics, quest text, creating various challenges through spawned opponents based on several things, either action based upon moving into a designated area, gathering a certain amount of something be it units, resources or anything else, killing something, etc. That's incredibly easy and just takes time, I could do that no problem if given an example map to draw and learn from, or do you want something that does indeed wildly alter the gameplay? Note; this part isn't about our example projects, this is what you want people to do once they become interns for you.

I've got the time and ability to do it, just no saved examples, none of them became popular enough to continue working on them so I never kept them and since I'm not active anymore in any modding community because of the lack of any titles that I enjoyed enough to spend time on, nothing new. I'd love to be able to help out, might not be able to because of those circumstances however.

TL;DR
Basically I'd like to get a week with the editor and one sample scenario, and create something with your own editor on my own time as an example of what I can do, but that's not likely to happen, so just some clarification on what you'll be looking for us to be able to do, and if you're looking for a polished product, or a demonstration of ability and if the latter, what sort of ability you're looking for, a flowing and balanced map for multiplayer, total conversion of game mechanics, or a challenging and innovative quest map, would also be something I could work with.

sneaky_squirrel
09-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Just by reading that I know you actually do design ;p.

Not much people will probably sign up anyways, though i told a friend about this who is already in closed beta who is also willing to fill in an aplication.

I'm looking forward to discussing editor discoveries/ideas with you Haeso ;p.

Josh Warner
09-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Just by reading that I know you actually do design ;p.

Not much people will probably sign up anyways, though i told a friend about this who is already in closed beta who is also willing to fill in an aplication.

I'm looking forward to discussing editor discoveries/ideas with you Haeso ;p.

Nothing would make me happier than being able to make and test maps with a group of people as dedicated to this game as myself, I really hope they give me a chance.

And well, if they don't chose to accept me I'll be sure to ask for the editor as soon as I get into CB, and show them they should have :) I'm confident in my ability, and even more confident in my amount of free time.

I have tons of ideas I've already started writing down in notepad for everything from conversion scenarios, to layouts for skirmish maps, or ideas of quests. it's getting to the point where I'm about to create a .doc for it, .txt is going to get me lost it's so big. I have a love/hate relationship with notepad. It's so easy and convenient, but so simple and unorganized.

sneaky_squirrel
09-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I normally do the same on paper, easier on the ideas, ideas come fresher somehow ;p.

Might try doing it to get myself entertained.

LiTos456
09-11-2009, 11:45 PM
damn squirrel, I'll hate your sneaky bottom if you get in.
I have school from 8-1.30 (not counting the 40 minutes it takes me to get to it and the 40 minutes to get back home). So technically I have time too. Experience...nay but I learn fast. Just the age is my problem.

sneaky_squirrel
09-11-2009, 11:51 PM
So your seriously 14?, can't believe you can run sites and I can't :S.

Josh Warner
09-12-2009, 12:01 AM
I normally do the same on paper, easier on the ideas, ideas come fresher somehow ;p.

Might try doing it to get myself entertained.

My handwriting is barely legible, I've been typing since I was like, 5. Short of signing my signature I've never found myself using it. I love collecting my ideas though, keeps me interested and gives me something to work with immediately once I get the editor.

I can't even imagine wanting to. I've moderated a lot of forums in the past, mostly for the clan I'm in for various games, and that's enough of a pain in the ass. Admin is even worse.

Dan Riddell
09-12-2009, 01:29 AM
I definately meet these specs.I have been a designer on Age Of Mythology since it came out. I have a lot of quality work to show and would be thrilled to jump on board.

Puppeteer
09-12-2009, 06:06 AM
It all depends on what you do with your time. LiTos has spent time learning, and is reaping the rewards! Likewise, you and your mapping.

Man, I have school from 8:30am to 4:00pm, plus travelling. That sucks I'd much rather go in earlier. Good luck guys on your applications! I'll think about whether I can commit 15 hours, because I really just want to get my hands on that editor :p

LiTos456
09-12-2009, 10:37 AM

So you're seriously 16?, can't believe you can get a job and I can't :S

See, it's all worse for me at the end.

Joseph Visscher
09-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I definately meet these specs.I have been a designer on Age Of Mythology since it came out. I have a lot of quality work to show and would be thrilled to jump on board.

Thats and old crappy game with a editor so simply and limited its unbelievable,
from detail level 1-100:
AOM = 20-30
DOF = 60-80

Aom you have a paint tool to paint forests cliffs terrain is only texture layered, dof has 16 layers at any point.

sneaky_squirrel
09-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Sounds good, I kinda feel limited by the editor, can't wait to get my hands on this one XD.

Puppeteer
09-12-2009, 01:49 PM
So where do the BFME worldbuilders fit on your detail scale?

Konstantin Fomenko
09-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Keep in mind that we are looking for people who can work with scripting/triggers first of all, the level design skills come second.

szebus
09-12-2009, 03:27 PM
A question here, the GEM editor from Men of War has something in common with DoF's editor ?

Here are some videos about that editor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW7bX_coB_I&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TieYCbJnGWE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUji6P9Hn-0&feature=related

Josh Warner
09-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Keep in mind that we are looking for people who can work with scripting/triggers first of all, the level design skills come second.

once you figure out the functions and build up a list of different scripts, they're much the same. I read somewhere that after the first time you use a script there's a simplified line you can type that will do that same script again, for that scenario anyway? It was somewhat vague, will there ever be a list in the editor itself to choose from, freely available that will act like a trigger editor, so we can save our own custom scripts into it and not have to do them again? it makes things a little easier, but otherwise if there's an NDA, a forum where we can start compiling a list in private once we're in of scripts, or publicly if no NDA.

Which is the other question, will there be one? I'm guessing it's a publisher decision, so you might not know yourselves I suppose. For closed beta that is, I imagine if we get the game even before CB to work on it we're not supposed to say anything.

LiTos456
09-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Do you guys need any 14 year old video editors by any chance? *puppy sad face*

sneaky_squirrel
09-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Wait, you mean like after you introduce a command in the script, you can enter the same kind of command with less letters/words (Characters)?

Anyways, they said that they would include triggers and scripting.

What I never liked about scripting is that I couldn't capture it visually, all I did was open a word document and type stuff in, one error and it fails.

But I will overcome this problem, somehow XD...can't wait to get my hands on the editor!

Josh Warner
09-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Wait, you mean like after you introduce a command in the script, you can enter the same kind of command with less letters/words (Characters)?

Anyways, they said that they would include triggers and scripting.

What I never liked about scripting is that I couldn't capture it visually, all I did was open a word document and type stuff in, one error and it fails.

But I will overcome this problem, somehow XD...can't wait to get my hands on the editor!

Sorta, I read it on DoF heaven I believe. Each script you do creates a line that can be typed that will simply replicate that script to save time, unless I'm totally off. I'm gonna try to find that quote. Was only 150~ pages or something, not a ton.

I know they said they would do triggers... eventually. I wasn't thinking they'd be added by the time any interns got their hands on it, either an actual trigger editing interface that scripts for you, or a compiled list of scripts somewhere in the editor would be wonderful. A list on a forum organized by type of function with a brief specific description that we compile on our own would work too, of course. I like to create descriptions that break down each line of the LUA to explain it's particular function so it's easily modifiable to the desired purpose rather than create billions of different scripts with tiny alterations. Of course this was for Wc3, and I was much younger and had trouble with scripting, back then I was spoiled and lazy with triggers though. Once we all get more familiar for our own purposes we probably won't need it anymore, it'd still be a great resource to help those getting started however if there's still no simplified trigger editing.

sneaky_squirrel
09-12-2009, 10:10 PM
I'd be happy with what you suggested, the only part I didn't like about scripting is that I only saw notepad instead of the actual editor screen woith all the comforting 3D models, knowing what I was gonna do to them and where 0_O.

I'd be nice to be able to script inside the editor with a list of coammdns to base off of, like you said ;p.

Josh Warner
09-12-2009, 10:31 PM
I'd be happy with what you suggested, the only part I didn't like about scripting is that I only saw notepad instead of the actual editor screen woith all the comforting 3D models, knowing what I was gonna do to them and where 0_O.

I'd be nice to be able to script inside the editor with a list of coammdns to base off of, like you said ;p.

It's doable without but yeah, it'd make things faster. Can't wait until they update this with the more detailed requirements. I've never been so excited about an opportunity like this, if anyone had told me I'd be applying for an internship somewhere a couple months ago I'd have laughed at him. Work without pay? What kind of crazy world is this! But that's just how it is, the chance to do something you really want to is worth more than a bit of money.

-twiddles thumbs waiting for people to wake up-

... 6-9 more hours depending on where they live. Do want more active forums lol, can't wait for the influx of people that inevitably comes with beta!

sneaky_squirrel
09-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I'd do this for free, I actually find this too good to be true, to think I thought this hobby wasn't gonna help me at all.

If I do get in I will work extra hard, yay I sound like a five year old :D.

Josh Warner
09-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I've actually ordered a couple books on LUA, I self taught the things I know now by taking apart and putting back together scripts in warcraft 3, so hopefully I can get those in time to start relearning before this goes too far.

sneaky_squirrel
09-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Might check it out on the internet later to see what I am going to be working with ;p.

Puppeteer
09-13-2009, 05:15 AM
Haeso you keeno.
Anyway, this thing about easily replicating scripts, it sounds similar to referencing.

Josh Warner
09-13-2009, 05:29 AM
Haeso you keeno.
Anyway, this thing about easily replicating scripts, it sounds similar to referencing.

I'm currently making a game (PAINFULLY simple) that runs in the Lua.exe haha.

It has a whopping 4 stats, health, damage, exp and gold. And it'll probably have less than 10 commands, but it's teaching me a lot of stuff, trial and error is a very harsh teacher though. Hoping to finish it before those books arrive and I can start learning specific stuff instead of self teaching.

And yes it does sound similar.

Puppeteer
09-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Someone has a lot of time :p I look forward to playing your maps/mod!

Josh Warner
09-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Someone has a lot of time :p I look forward to playing your maps/mod!
It's quite the interesting process. Mastering tables, I already know if/than etc. and functions are easy too. Plenty of stuff I know how to do, tables was one of the few things I didn't and this is really forcing me to learn it.

Edit:
Finished all the functions/tables etc, just the way the tables work you can't do one function then have it save in lua.exe to change the values of the table so the next function will use the original table. Just a limitation, so it won't work or I can't figure it out, but it's not important. I do know all the individual functions work, which is what matters. Learned what I needed to with them. Time to find another project.

LiTos456
09-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I gotta be honest, I'm not much into code. Code is amazing and I love and admire it's power but it's just... not for me. I tried to work with web code for 3 years but I never got to the point where I could script my own functions for a web site.
However what does appeal to me more is the visual side of interactive entertainment. Besides videos, trailers, and movies, I am also interesting in 3D design. Currently I actually have a school class but it's regular so a lot of people don't know much about the computer and the PCs are harshly slow. However I do want to learn 3D to use in videos and other general modeling design, as well as Vue - creating 3D environments. Also After Effects at some point, preferably within the year.

Dan Riddell
09-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Thats and old crappy game with a editor so simply and limited its unbelievable,
from detail level 1-100:
AOM = 20-30
DOF = 60-80

Aom you have a paint tool to paint forests cliffs terrain is only texture layered, dof has 16 layers at any point.
I think you'll be suprised with the things I've managed to pull off then.

Josh Warner
09-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I think you'll be suprised with the things I've managed to pull off then.

After playing around with aom's editor before I quit, it's not the worst I've used, but it really is pretty far down in it's versatility/ease of use/power. The best so far I've seen is still warcraft 3, sadly. I really hope DoF's editor replaces it as the new standard.

sneaky_squirrel
09-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Well Haeso, me and sword use a mod which pretty much makes the editor more versatile, Reyks Editor, plus many custom triggers (Still pretty simple but much better than original editor).

And yet I am still waiting for the sign up thread XD.

Josh Warner
09-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Well Haeso, me and sword use a mod which pretty much makes the editor more versatile, Reyks Editor, plus many custom triggers (Still pretty simple but much better than original editor).

And yet I am still waiting for the sign up thread XD.

You can do quite a lot with a good set of triggers, but it'll never be as powerful as a good script.

Amazon shipping takes forever on books. Still screwing around with the compiler and Lua.exe to keep figuring stuff out though.

sneaky_squirrel
09-13-2009, 02:11 PM
I better go kill some time XD, maybe I'll check out Lua.

EDIT:

Well, well, well, seems someone has a section in "Lua Programming Gems".

Joseph Visscher
09-13-2009, 03:45 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)

If you can fully understand every example code on that page, your off to a good start.

You will not work for free if reverie hires you as a full employed contractor, we will probably go through a few people and hire the best of them and go on from there with them.

Josh Warner
09-13-2009, 03:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)

If you can fully understand every example code on that page, your off to a good start.

You will not work for free if reverie hires you as a full employed contractor, we will probably go through a few people and hire the best of them and go on from there with them.

Whoever chose to use YELLOW text on a WHITE background for the functions/commands etc in that link should be shot. I understand most of it, but at the cost of lots of squinting. For anyone that wants to read the scripts, I suggest highlighting each script when you read it.

edit; I love how everywhere you go, be it a wiki their own site or every third party discussing Lua. It almost always starts with creating the "Hello World" lol. It's like their signature.

szebus
09-13-2009, 03:53 PM
It is something like pascal.

sneaky_squirrel
09-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Halfway through the page, so far I am understanding everything (Pretty similar to C++, only a lot easier, like the "print" command), but these "tables" are new to me, these seem to be the backbone of Lua if I am correct ;p.

Chris Harshman
09-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Well if that is a good start knowing everything on that wiki page than I am a happy man.

Displaying Hello World in programming as the first thing is not just lua, that is a common standard when teaching programming. It is the first thing you will learn with any basics book/tutorials or anything else.

The biggest difference with lua I found is that there are no datatypes which can cause alot of errors when you are first learning them.

wills370
09-14-2009, 01:25 PM
I think i might just start teaching myself now, i wont be anywhere near as good as most scriptors but i can do good maps if the edditor is all in place like in age of empires etc.

THYMOLE
09-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Ahh stoopid squirrel, you told me i could probably get the editor, and i come in to find out im too young?. *Grumbles*

sneaky_squirrel
09-14-2009, 09:34 PM
I said closed beta ;p, and you would probably also need to be really good at designing.