PDA

View Full Version : Managing the spam

The Witch King of Angmar
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
First of all, this thread isn't directed to most of you. I wanted to address the recent problems in spaming cough*nitemareblair*cough. Anyways, please, everyone continue to use the search tool at the top of the screen to look for previous posts already discussing what you would like to talk about just to make sure you aren't posting in the wrong thread or posting a question that has been asked 1000+ times in the middle of an entirely different conversation. Again, this is primarily for some newer people who are so excited about the game that they post random things in the middle of a meaningful discussion. By searching for previous posts that may contain what you would like to discuss, you really add to the value of the forums by not interrupting a good discussion and by possibly bringing up a good point that can be further discussed. As the game draws closer to its release as well as the beta, more and more people will continue to join the forums just as we have seen in the past few months. Please continue to follow the guidelines set by the devs and our discussions will be continue to be productive and meaningful.

Thanks for your time

Kire
09-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Since those ppl dont read old posts they wont even read this one.. =P so whats the point ?=)
But agree with you 100% about ruining good discussions.

Edit: (first sentence was joke =P)

Kal Torak
09-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Since those ppl dont read old posts they wont even read this one.. =P so whats the point ?=)
*smack* quiet you!

The Witch King of Angmar
09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
But agree with you 100% about ruining good discussions.

Again, this is an attempt to try and alleviate this situation from happening.

Kal Torak
09-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Plus they usually read some of the top ones. Also to be honest I was really impressed with how they dealt with the last guy, ban then boom several Rev Devs pop up deleting them at breakneck speeds, awesome work! It's too bad that cuts into development time, but an unfortunate necessity sometimes.

LiTos456
09-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Dev time is measured in days, not minutes. The deleting couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes. Besides moderators do it, they dont develop the game. In fact they're just as clueless as we are, (right witch king?) except they mod for the forum.

Kal Torak
09-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Er um, a pile devs did it the last round of spam I meant. Also I know it's only a few min, but kinda sucks when they get pulled off to delete spam.

Anyways Back on topic, remember to use the search function everyone.

LiTos456
09-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Look I have provided a link (http://reverieworld.com/forums/search.php)!

Kal Torak
09-10-2009, 10:05 PM
My link's better http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1261/linkvi.png (http://reverieworld.com/forums/search.php)

wills370
09-11-2009, 01:06 AM
lol looks suspisiously like ZELDA! and yeah the spam problem has became a real issue. Maybe sending a message to everyone saying that spamming will not be tolerated would be apropiate and a quick breakdown of some of the other most commenly broken rules. People are far more likly to open the mail,especially with the beta out soon.

szebus
09-11-2009, 03:18 AM
My guess is, the older members of this community can help with the spam issue to, as they did so far.

Puppeteer
09-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Good call, Witch King. Sent you a PM.

LiTos456
09-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Yay for the old people.
Meh I should start telling people where to go instead of just yelling at them. I'll be yelling att them after I tell them where to go. Or before. Whatever, yelling is fun when they deserve it. xD pick me! mememe!
Nah really, I'll be a good mod. Been doing these things for years, most of the time I managed sites by myself.

sneaky_squirrel
09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I wish I could be a mod, but I have no idea hwo to be one XD.

wills370
09-11-2009, 02:42 PM
I would be happy to be a mod. i can check forums atleast twice a day and would be happy to point people in the right direction,aswell as tell them off. i get as anoyed as the next person at useless spammy posts.

Puppeteer
09-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure of the devs' take, but we don't need any more mods. We're fine as it is - we're not overburdened. As soon as we see spam, it's gone.

Kal Torak
09-11-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure of the devs' take, but we don't need any more mods. We're fine as it is - we're not overburdened. As soon as we see spam, it's gone.
Duh you're a mod so when you log on and see it of course it's gone lol. But anyways i'm just messing with you so far it is fine, though in the future we may need more.

Joseph Visscher
09-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Speaking of spamming, Kal Torak here enjoy an infraction:

Spaming all over the forum every second post in all threads with nothing really adding to the discussion.

Anyways, Darvin, Witchking, and Pupeteer will be reinforced by more mods when we announce our new publisher; they may also get a promotion.
And to everyone who think they can get away with insulting a moderator or hardcore spamming because the Devs don't go on the forum every minute thinks wrong. The mods just pm me on msn, I'll come and whip out my ban hammer. This forum is for people who are interested in the game and want to learn more information about it, anyone ( or any bots ) on the forum that has ill intentions towards its people or the forums' intentions better not show these, otherwise they will get a ban hammer in the face.

This does not mean you can not post pretty much anything you want, it is fine along as it does not beak any of these rules. http://reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77
Try to make new thread in a Non Statement forum but rather a creative, opinionated or questioning manner that others can agree, disagree or discuss about.

Examples of a BAD thread:

5+5=10, Hi, yea 5+5= TEN woo hoo im good at math.

Cheese smells like my feet at night.

Examples of a good thread.

whats 5764 divided by 4? anyone know?

whats the population cap of dawn of fantasy?

How many player colors does dawn of fantasy have? Or does it have any? what are they?

I think reverie should give President Obama a free copy of dawn of fantasy. ( stupid but still an opinion that anyone can agree or disagree too!)

LiTos456
09-11-2009, 10:42 PM
ooh kal you just got ownd in the face.
yeah I'm pretty sure when the publisher announces dawn of fantasy it'll be packed. The publisher sounds like it's known, but hell I'm still wondering what it actually is. Can't wait to find out, I just hope it won't get too crazy and out of control (like the arma 2 forums for example).

Josh Warner
09-11-2009, 11:14 PM
ooh kal you just got ownd in the face.
yeah I'm pretty sure when the publisher announces dawn of fantasy it'll be packed. The publisher sounds like it's known, but hell I'm still wondering what it actually is. Can't wait to find out, I just hope it won't get too crazy and out of control (like the arma 2 forums for example).

As long as EA and sony are nowhere to be seen, any publisher is fine lol.

Puppeteer
09-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Anyways, Darvin, Witchking, and Pupeteer will be reinforced by more mods when we announce our new publisher
That's what I thought, and when you do *cough*LiTos*cough* :p
Anyway, I think the bots are subsiding at the moment. Fingers crossed!

Joseph Visscher
09-12-2009, 11:47 AM
As long as EA and sony are nowhere to be seen, any publisher is fine lol.
:eek: How did you guess our two joint publishers! Oh my your a mind reader. lol ha.

Their return inevitable it is just a matter of time and their masters cracking the algorithms.

The same can be said about piracy, EA and all the big ones use SecuROM for all their games so they can't be pirated right? Millions and millions of dollars wasted to a 25 kb program that completely bypasses it. if you ask me, they deserve that becuse if they invested more money into making the game better in the first place even the pirates would buy it, 50% of them hack games just to 'try' then out, if there good enough they buy it.

How would Dawn of fantasy look if it had 1 million dollars 2 years ago?
It would have been finished and dawn of fantasy 2 would be coming out within the month.

Jean=A=Luc
09-12-2009, 02:25 PM
How would Dawn of fantasy look if it had 1 million dollars 2 years ago?
It would have been finished and dawn of fantasy 2 would be coming out within the month.

Then you know what you have to do, right? Go back in time and get that mil! Preferably via a series of hilarious events.

nickson104
09-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Examples of a good thread.

whats 5764 divided by 4? anyone know?

THAT is classed as a GOOD thread? lol? By the way the answer is 1441 i think.... Correct me if I am wrong though, it has been a long time since i finished school now :p XD Can almost feel the brain cells dieing... XD :p

The problem about gaming is that publishers do not want to take unnecessary risks, why should they invest in a game that may flop or not sell too well, despite being a good game, when they could invest in a commonplace game which will sell well but will not be as innovative as it should or could be... Until that changes we will continue to see the same games being released for years with little room for the smaller, less known, yet more innovative games

LiTos456
09-12-2009, 08:22 PM
That's what I thought, and when you do *cough*LiTos*cough* :p

:)

Oh no, they'll be back. Oh they'll be back.
Actually no that was a joke. All you guys have to do is make a custom registration field saying "What's the name of this game?" and make the only acceptable answer "Dawn of Fantasy". That'll kill the bots. (I did that and I've never seen them again).

sneaky_squirrel
09-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Maybe it was such a bad idea that the bots actually developed a sense of feeling sorry for you and just left hoping you'd live a happy life ;p, either way it really works, nice job.

Josh Warner
09-12-2009, 09:09 PM
:eek: How did you guess our two joint publishers! Oh my your a mind reader. lol ha.

I just had a heart attack, thanks. lol

I just read the rest of your post and really, that gives me so much more confidence that you guys really know what you're doing, and I already had plenty. There are three types of pirates. Those who steal because they're cheap, those who do it because they have no money and aren't going to buy it either way, and those who insist on trying something before throwing 50-60 bucks at it. I'm quite certain #2 and #3 form the majority. You're not getting money from them even if you spend a billion dollars on protection against it.

I personally buy every game I like a lot, sometimes I'll even buy them twice. I have Fo3 and mass effect for both my PC and xbox. Tried both first. Loved them enough that I really wanted to support those devs. Felt like they EARNED that money, then you have companies like EA that hardly ever innovate and rely on big titles to make all their money, barely changing anything each year. I still can't believe people buy every new madden or other sports titles... Also, there are other absurd methods of protection. Anyone ever hear about the limited uses on spore? I imagine most of you have with the stir it caused. You get 3 installs, then that's it. No more. You reformat and need a new install? There's another gone. You want to sell the game to a friend? Too bad no more installs? Too bad. they've just taken away your RIGHT as the owner of that product, I can't remember the law but it's very specific about the right to resell anything that you OWN, and you OWN the physical copy of the game, not EA or anyone else. What you do with it in a legal spectrum is fully supported. And the right to sell it after using it is fundamental.

Then there is the whole scandal with Epic Games, I believe either their executive or someone else high up over there actually RANTED about gamestop and other people that sell used copies of the game, and called it little better than piracy. Which was totally asinine of him. While I get they don't get money for it, they shouldn't. If their game is only enjoyed for two days and someone no longer has any desire to play it they have EVERY right to sell it to someone else. They don't like it, maybe they should add more than a couple days worth of entertainment, you know 'replay value'. I hate them now, and very nearly didn't buy Gears 2 because of it.

LiTos456
09-12-2009, 10:57 PM
You know supporting the developers is nice, but unless they're Reverie World Studios whom you can directly tell "Hey man, I bought your game twice. I love you.", they won't ever know about it or acknowledge it. 60 bucks is lunch for them anyway.
Also you guys wanna hear a sad story I had with DRM?
I bought Far Cry 2 on the release day excited more than ever to play it because I was a big fan and I've been waiting for it for a few months. I still respect it even if though multiplayer failed... I guess when I'm a fanboy I AM a fanboy.
Back then I was running XP for a while, and somehow the DRM won't let me play thinking I have an illegal software installed. I turned literary everything off, but nothing worked. I don't remember if I tried making a new user, if I didn't I really should have... anyway I got frustrated and remembered that I heard people already cracked the game. So I downloaded a crack. From a random website. It looked like an unidentified application according to it's icon. It was just obvious. Yet I launched it.
Guess what, I was indirectly virus-raped by SecuROM DRM which I hate with all my heart and guts now and I had to reinstall windows and do a complete hard drive wipe. And I have a paranoid phobia against viruses and critical computer issues whether it's hardware or software (hardware is even worse since hardware is money). Don't laugh but to be this stuff is a real big deal and I thank god, bill gates, microsoft and Windows 7 for making an amazing new operating system that has kept my computer alive and just fine for quite a long while now.
Sorry for the long post but yeah. My point is... Don't use DRMs. Please.
With love,
-Litos.

sneaky_squirrel
09-12-2009, 11:31 PM
The only DRM I have is Spore, so far I haven't had any problems with it, though I lsot one of my 3 installs on my cousin's laptop that totally got stolen XD.

Josh Warner
09-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Sorry for the long post but yeah. My point is... Don't use DRMs. Please.
With love,
-Litos.

The only DRM I support is single instance online per cd key. I imagine they'll have that though : p

LiTos456
09-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Actually I forgot to mention. I ran out of installs after too many HD wipes and I had to call Ubisoft to renew my key.
Back on topic: Yeah at least the bots put everything in offtopic.

Puppeteer
09-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Can I suggest to the devs that they change the name of the Offtopic thread? When on other forums the admins rename it to something less predictable, the bots seem to go away. I can't change it.

Jean=A=Luc
09-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Yeah, should be "non-DoF related" or simply "General Discussion" (although that's somewhat predictable/common).

sneaky_squirrel
09-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Or maybe "The Underworld", or "Unknown Lands".

Puppeteer
09-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Dragon's Den :p
Others have been called Open Topic, The Junkyard, The Green Dragon, Offtopic...

Joseph Visscher
09-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Just banned a Russian posting Sexual Ads in Russian, so I banned him and give him a message of:
"Не будьте глупы и спам наши форумы с грязным российским сексуальным спамом. Вы Постоянно Запрещаетесь."

Funny how "Don't be stupid" comes out as the same thing as "Not be silly" in Russian heh.

Mods, anything that is not in English, please delete it, this is an English forum.

sneaky_squirrel
09-13-2009, 05:50 PM
So that's what he said, he seemed suspicious indeed ;p.

wills370
09-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Hmm atleast it looks liek for the time being atleast the wave of spam has left our noble forums WOOP!

LiTos456
09-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Just banned a Russian posting Sexual Ads in Russian, so I banned him and give him a message of:
"Не будьте глупы и спам наши форумы с грязным российским сексуальным спамом. Вы Постоянно Запрещаетесь."

Funny how "Don't be stupid" comes out as the same thing as "Not be silly" in Russian heh.

Mods, anything that is not in English, please delete it, this is an English forum.

Мы вас забанили на всегда would be the right way to say the 2nd sentence.
Also you actually said "Dont be silly and spam our forums with dirty russian sexual spam". That's like asking them to spam our forum lol.

nickson104
09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Мы вас забанили на всегда would be the right way to say the 2nd sentence.
Also you actually said "Dont be silly and spam our forums with dirty russian sexual spam". That's like asking them to spam our forum lol.

Hey, he tried his best :) :p Considering literal translations rarely work and I highly doubt that the devs have endless comprehension of foreign languages :p I must say thoughm The Russian words look so much cooler than ours :)

The Witch King of Angmar
09-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey guys I've been gone for a few days but I just wanted to say that I'm glad from the support you guys have shown. All of you that do follow the rules and don't spam, I just want to say thanks for contributing to the forums.