PDA

View Full Version : Walls/Siege Improvement Suggestions

Latham
12-23-2013, 07:28 PM
I'd like to make two suggestions for consideration with regards to sieges.

Right now gatehouses are a full 2/3rds stronger than walls, which doesn't make sense. Gatehouses are supposed to be the vulnerable part in any wall but as it stands in DoF any attacker coming at me has a nice, long, weak wall to target and just bypass the gate itself.

Additionally, I think cannons are overpowered. (Please bear in mind this is coming from someone who uses cannons. I'm not just hating on them.) Two cannons can take down an entire wall segment in only a couple hits.

Cannons are also cheap to procure when your economy is well-developed. 10 crowns when your gold income produces well in excess of that in the course of an hour? It's nothing. To summarize: cannons are a cheap, overpowered, unit that can demolish a wall with almost no effort required other than toting a large amount of stone into a siege.

I'd like to suggest buffing wall hitpoints - placing them well above the gatehouses - and nerfing cannon damage. Doing this would, I think, bring focus back to gates as the true weakness in any defense and improve the viability and utility of siege towers/ladders in any siege.

Konstantin Fomenko
12-25-2013, 12:43 PM
I do agree about the cannons - and after reading your post, we just revisited this issue, and there`s some reduction in cannon attack strength in the coming patch 20/Arcana expansion.

With regard to gatehouses - here I do disagree. The vulnerable part of the gatehouse is the gate that can easily be destroyed by rams, ogres, dragons e.t.c

Latham
12-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Sorry about that. I looked back at my post and I discovered I used "gate" and "gatehouse" interchangeably in my mind when I wrote it. But yes, you're correct. The gate is indeed the vulnerable part. I still think though that a gate shouldn't be stronger than a wall. Gates are obviously reinforced, but they're supposed to be the most vulnerable part in any wall construction - hence why attackers tend to go for the gates.

Konstantin Fomenko
12-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Absolutely right. This is actually something that has been changed already a while back, and will be released as part of Patch 20 - as we want to encourage more Ram use.