PDA

View Full Version : graphics

raving
09-06-2009, 02:42 AM
yoyo, i was gone for a while and i see now that u guys upgraded ur graphics, and i must say im absolutly loving them. They look awsome, keep up the great work ^^.

Darathor
09-06-2009, 07:48 AM
The graphics do look amazing now. I just can't wait for this game!

wills370
09-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Yup the graphics are sweet wonder how it has affected the spec though needed to play. or volume of units. Hmm

wills370
09-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Yup the graphics are sweet wonder how it has affected the spec though needed to play. or volume of units. Hmm

Darathor
09-06-2009, 01:08 PM
The site says that the system specs are still quite low in what they require. I have no idea what "quite low" means but it can't be bad right?

Joseph Visscher
09-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Are you talking about the new grass?> probably not just the trailer.
We are updating a lot all the time.
I was against it because of lag, but now that I've reconfigured the poly count, remodeled and reanimated it all I must say its well worth it.
you wont see the grass' animation but it sways back and forth with the odd gust of wind here and there.
And to those who cant handle it on their pcs, detail settings can remove it along with other junk like the sticks you see under that tree.
Check the 25 fps I get when I'm under clocked down to about a geforce 7 you can have thousands of grass blades with very small performance drop. :D

Aothane
09-06-2009, 11:38 PM
I feel as though graphics are the bane of games of recent years. Every game has to have 'super ultra leet graphics !!!1', or it 'suxxors'. So every new game requires a large amount of resources/input/focus on nice graphics or a good game will still fall by the wayside. The only exceptions being those who deliberately aim for niche markets, which are typically very small, and perhaps just as finnicky in their own ways.

I would also say that design or style outweights graphics, but it is potentially another lost cause in the current market climate.

the best example I can think of is the original X-Com game. Anyone who played this somewhere back in 1995 might have ruminated along these lines "wow if games are this good now, imagine what they will be like in another 15 years !".

all of that said the screenshot does look nice.

wills370
09-07-2009, 05:44 AM
Are you talking about the new grass?> probably not just the trailer.
We are updating a lot all the time.
I was against it because of lag, but now that I've reconfigured the poly count, remodeled and reanimated it all I must say its well worth it.
you wont see the grass' animation but it sways back and forth with the odd gust of wind here and there.
And to those who cant handle it on their pcs, detail settings can remove it along with other junk like the sticks you see under that tree.
Check the 25 fps I get when I'm under clocked down to about a geforce 7 you can have thousands of grass blades with very small performance drop. :D

Wow really nice. Can you post anymore at full quality? in other landscapes or a short movie just to keep us happy. Looks amazing. better then the standered green flat grass :P

xsacha
09-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Haha it's funny I was just reading a thread about how grass makes or breaks a game. It's really important to have nice looking grass (at least as an option on high settings).

raving
09-07-2009, 05:51 PM
i was not talking about the grass, i saw some of the early trailers and the layout of the face was more euhm dont know the right word but lets call it more pixally >< now the faces are smooth, the environment is also smooth, im talking about the grapics in general they improved greatly. great work ^^

Joseph Visscher
09-08-2009, 12:19 AM
i was not talking about the grass, i saw some of the early trailers and the layout of the face was more euhm dont know the right word but lets call it more pixally >< now the faces are smooth, the environment is also smooth, im talking about the grapics in general they improved greatly. great work ^^

There is still much work to be done, see in the picture the terrain starts to blur out not in synch with the grass. I dont like that. More graphical changes to be done, along with gameplay.

xsacha
09-08-2009, 11:10 AM
I just got a brand new laptop and tried out various games that are meant to be graphically challenging. I've been disappointed that my laptop appears to be able to play everything (including Crysis on HIGH, Oblivion and Farcry 2) with atleast 30 FPS. This is on a laptop afterall. I didn't exactly buy the laptop as a gaming rig either, a quite modest Radeon 4570.

That's why I think games should have higher settings available. I'm sure there is quite a few people with desktop gaming rigs looking for the best graphics.

So yeah if it was just simply a 'setting change' to make the graphics look much better, don't hesitate! I don't mind having medium settings if I'm using a laptop and there's quite a few people whose systems are going idle. Just make sure low settings look nice too. Not hard right? :)

Kal Torak
09-08-2009, 03:30 PM
It is nice to have a wide array of options graphically allowing higher end users to enjoy the looks and lower end users to play. Graphical customization is very important and it's nice to see it developing so early. Most games in development/beta seriously lack customization in that area with the excuse they'll add more later and don't, or add few more.

Espadachim
09-08-2009, 05:25 PM
For the screenies that I've saw here and at HG, the graphics are quite awesome and they're appealing to the eyes. But still having excellent graphics on the lowest configuration = more initiative to purchase the game. :)

Generation
09-08-2009, 09:37 PM
it's for the greater good if u do it :D

Darathor
09-08-2009, 10:00 PM
The Greater Good.

Espadachim
09-09-2009, 11:29 AM
No problem. http://www.heavengames.com/hgf/wink2.gif

wills370
09-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Should be good it it offers the versitility of having reasonable graphics even at low spec.

Ironic
09-18-2009, 03:15 AM
I just got a brand new laptop and tried out various games that are meant to be graphically challenging. I've been disappointed that my laptop appears to be able to play everything (including Crysis on HIGH, Oblivion and Farcry 2) with atleast 30 FPS. This is on a laptop afterall. I didn't exactly buy the laptop as a gaming rig either, a quite modest Radeon 4570.

That's why I think games should have higher settings available. I'm sure there is quite a few people with desktop gaming rigs looking for the best graphics.

So yeah if it was just simply a 'setting change' to make the graphics look much better, don't hesitate! I don't mind having medium settings if I'm using a laptop and there's quite a few people whose systems are going idle. Just make sure low settings look nice too. Not hard right? :)

Basicly to my knowledge crysis is still the most graphic intensive game around so if u can run that theres nothing much to stop you
Not sure why u mentioned oblivion, while awsome its engine is basically ancient

If u want to bring your pc to its knees try running supreme commander with all settings on full with the hack that removes the unit limit. Even beastly rigs can be brought to their knees with that many units :D

wills370
09-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Yeah i will admit it is frustrating if your games dont match your PC capability's. Judging on the development of this game however as it has moved from reasonably modest graphics to thoose seen in the new trailor. I will be pretty suprised if the engine dosent offer a range of graphic options. (particularly the grass and the addable leave etc under the trees). when games are designed like this with a new engine they usualy work best and will suit your computers ability on all levels.

On a side note however how much more graphic work is there to do in regard to DOF genrally. Is it close to the level of graphics you want for sale? or still alot more work?

Josh Warner
09-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Yeah i will admit it is frustrating if your games dont match your PC capability's. Judging on the development of this game however as it has moved from reasonably modest graphics to thoose seen in the new trailor. I will be pretty suprised if the engine dosent offer a range of graphic options. (particularly the grass and the addable leave etc under the trees). when games are designed like this with a new engine they usualy work best and will suit your computers ability on all levels.

On a side note however how much more graphic work is there to do in regard to DOF genrally. Is it close to the level of graphics you want for sale? or still alot more work?

I'm positive they'll have very powerful scaling, they won't make a game a bunch of potential customers can't play lol. Marketing towards low end, ESPECIALLY for strategy games is the way to go. While no genre requires amazing graphics - I'd say RTSes are one of the genres where people care very little about them as they understand a game such as DoF for example that has such a grand scale requires lots of computer resources. Nobody knows but them what they'll do, but I remain confident they'll both have the graphics powerful computers can take advantage of, and lower settings so that people can still play the game.

wills370
09-21-2009, 03:42 AM
I'm positive they'll have very powerful scaling, they won't make a game a bunch of potential customers can't play lol. Marketing towards low end, ESPECIALLY for strategy games is the way to go. While no genre requires amazing graphics - I'd say RTSes are one of the genres where people care very little about them as they understand a game such as DoF for example that has such a grand scale requires lots of computer resources. Nobody knows but them what they'll do, but I remain confident they'll both have the graphics powerful computers can take advantage of, and lower settings so that people can still play the game.

Yeah, should be good. Still wonder how close they are to where they want to be for sale in terms of graphics? and the scaling could be really nice if it also lets us increase unit size for comp games.