PDA

View Full Version : Heroes of Newerth

LiTos456
09-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Damn, you guys should really check this out.
Heroes of Newerth is this new retail game based off DoTA (Wc3 mod) where you play as heroes with creeps on your team (little miserable ai) and you have to destroy the opposing team's base. Well that important building in the middle of it.
But it's actually darn fun. I'm not even done testing out each character yet. The only thing I don't like is the shop, which is a bit confusing.
But anyway, they just also added this practice mode where you can play by yourself with the almighty 'test' button which lets you do anything, you're basically god. You can spawn a million creeps although that'll kill your game hehe, but you can do it.
It's a really fun game and I'm in a clan that's based around a game that isnt out yet, so we play other games, and many of us play this and it is sooo incredibly fun when we sit on voice chat like around 4 of us playing HoN. You guys should check it out. Its in closed beta now, but I was able to get a key. I dont know if there are still keys, not sure.
Cheers

Kire
09-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Damn, you guys should really check this out.
Heroes of Newerth is this new retail game based off DoTA (Wc3 mod) where you play as heroes with creeps on your team (little miserable ai) and you have to destroy the opposing team's base. Well that important building in the middle of it.
But it's actually darn fun. I'm not even done testing out each character yet. The only thing I don't like is the shop, which is a bit confusing.
But anyway, they just also added this practice mode where you can play by yourself with the almighty 'test' button which lets you do anything, you're basically god. You can spawn a million creeps although that'll kill your game hehe, but you can do it.
It's a really fun game and I'm in a clan that's based around a game that isnt out yet, so we play other games, and many of us play this and it is sooo incredibly fun when we sit on voice chat like around 4 of us playing HoN. You guys should check it out. Its in closed beta now, but I was able to get a key. I dont know if there are still keys, not sure.
Cheers

Well i dont like DoTa from w3 its too confusing (combining items to get one imba) pff x.x. Anyway if you say it is good than i will go look that one =).

Liljagare
09-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I am torn, Leage of Legends is in Beta too, and just as good..

Kinda wierd how they are making two so similar version of DoTa.. :)

sneaky_squirrel
09-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I'll check those out ;p.

LiTos456
09-03-2009, 12:37 AM
What, theres another one?!
Weeeeeird.... But they do have detailed guides on those item stuff, yeah I complained about the items too until I read them.
Edit: I just looked at LoL (i cant believe its initials are LoL...) and it doesnt look as good as HoN at all. First off they have a fancier trailer to deceive people with, second the graphics are just not fitting for this type of game... and what's with the cheapa$$ asian girl character.

wills370
09-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Hmm i will check this out too. sounds like it holds some promise for ammusement for a few days:P

LiTos456
09-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm actually thinking of buying it...

Kaznafein
09-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Ya got a beta key from someone off xfire this game is pretty good and I will probably end up buying it.

Jean=A=Luc
09-16-2009, 05:26 PM
LoL will be free. ;) And it has quite a few DoTA developers on the team so it should have reasonable quality (in the very least).

Andy Joslin
09-17-2009, 07:25 AM
I love Heroes of Newerth.

It's also made by S2Games, an indie gaming company who really interacts with their players. They've made Savage 1: The Battle for Newerth and Savage 2: A Tortured Soul. Both of these games never succeeded financially, but they supported them for over a year, are still supporting Savage 2, and made Savage 1 open-source.

Savage 1 and Savage 2 were almost a completely new genre of game (check out Savage 2 at http://www.savage2.com/en/main.php), and never really succeeded. Too weird? Not enough marketing? Dunno. S2 is doing something familiar this time: DotA. And they are definitely succeeding at it. They have 0 formal advertising done so far, only word of mouth, and already they have hundreds of thousands of players in their closed beta (now that's what I want for Dawn of Fantasy! :p)

wills370
09-17-2009, 07:31 AM

It's also made by S2Games, an indie gaming company who really interacts with their players. They've made Savage 1: The Battle for Newerth and Savage 2: A Tortured Soul. Both of these games never succeeded financially, but they supported them for over a year, are still supporting Savage 2, and made Savage 1 open-source.

Savage 1 and Savage 2 were almost a completely new genre of game (check out Savage 2 at http://www.savage2.com/en/main.php), and never really succeeded. Too weird? Not enough marketing? Dunno. S2 is doing something familiar this time: DotA. And they are definitely succeeding at it. They have 0 formal advertising done so far, only word of mouth, and already they have hundreds of thousands of players in their closed beta (now that's what I want for Dawn of Fantasy! :p)

Link dosent work :(

Andy Joslin
09-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Fixed the link.

LiTos456
09-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Dude yeah, they have like 500k people.

Josh Warner
09-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Savage 2 was a great game, S1 was arguably better, but I got in towards the end of it's life cycle.

As far as HoN goes, I just don't think that many people are going to be willing to pay for what's free in wc3, especially since an even better version is almost certainly going to be created once scII comes out. HoN will definitely do better than the failure that was demigod though. Speaking of DotA - or originally, Aeon of Strife.. I'm sure there will be more than few iterations in dawn of fantasy.

Ironic
09-18-2009, 03:25 AM
Savage 2 was a great game, S1 was arguably better, but I got in towards the end of it's life cycle.

As far as HoN goes, I just don't think that many people are going to be willing to pay for what's free in wc3, especially since an even better version is almost certainly going to be created once scII comes out. HoN will definitely do better than the failure that was demigod though. Speaking of DotA - or originally, Aeon of Strife.. I'm sure there will be more than few iterations in dawn of fantasy.

shudder...demigod was....um...it could be better
never really got into sc1 or 2 myself. Tryed hard to like the game play and it was genuinely different but meh, it never clicked.
Hon, on the other hand i really enjoy. I was never good at dota but the matchmaking and chat that hon is built on really works well. Also for some reason i get basicly no lag with hon, no matter which server i play on. Dunno what they did different with their network code but it seems to work well.

ShadowyMoon
09-18-2009, 04:32 PM
I haven't played LoL, even though I got a beta invite. I just feel that HoN is better in pretty much every way from what I've seen about both games.

Josh Warner
09-18-2009, 06:22 PM
I haven't played LoL, even though I got a beta invite. I just feel that HoN is better in pretty much every way from what I've seen about both games.

LoL isn't a dota clone, my money is that it will do better in the end, lots of people like playing HoN, but even more people get sick of playing it after a few weeks. And they certainly aren't gonna pay 60 bucks for it.

ShadowyMoon
09-19-2009, 08:32 AM
You severely underestimate the popularity of DotA. Demigod tried to be it's own thing and failed miserably. Besides it's 30 $ not 60.

Josh Warner
09-19-2009, 10:25 AM
You severely underestimate the popularity of DotA. Demigod tried to be it's own thing and failed miserably. Besides it's 30 $ not 60.

I don't underestimate the popularity of DotA, you're overestimating HoN. Most of the people playing beta right now, play for at most a month before getting utterly bored. The thing about DotA is that it's part of WCIII, it's a click or two away from tons of other games that one can play, not to mention as soon as SCII is released HoN will be made obsolete. I'd be willing to bet HoN ends up being a flash in the pan, a fun one while it lasts, but it won't last long.

Liljagare
09-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Btw, it's in open BETA now, NDA lifted too.

Atleast my email says so! :D

Ironic
09-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Btw, it's in open BETA now, NDA lifted too.

Atleast my email says so! :D

sweet!
might get back into it with a few mates or didnt get in the closed beta :D

ShadowyMoon
09-24-2009, 11:29 AM
The beauty of HoN is that it's stand alone, which is much better than being tied to B.net, WC3 and the limitations of the WC3 engine. SC II's map making tools will be light years ahead of WC3, but by then a sufficent player base will have been made, and if S2 play their cards right with the matchmaking and map editor, not HoN, but DotA will be obsolete, as well as a SC II version of it.

bikkebakke
09-24-2009, 01:16 PM
HoN is a great game ^^ been playing for some time now, have been in beta for a while, and all I can say is that it's awesome :D just like DoTA.

Just a small warning for anyone desiding to play it >,> JOIN NOOBS GAME IN THE BEGINNING >,<

Josh Warner
09-24-2009, 03:01 PM
The beauty of HoN is that it's stand alone, which is much better than being tied to B.net, WC3 and the limitations of the WC3 engine. SC II's map making tools will be light years ahead of WC3, but by then a sufficent player base will have been made, and if S2 play their cards right with the matchmaking and map editor, not HoN, but DotA will be obsolete, as well as a SC II version of it.

Except for the fact that you're paying for a total clone of Dota that comes with no other games and a smaller community. For every hero that isn't a direct port from DotA there are 10 that are. It's the exact same game with better graphics and slightly better netcode that costs money and isn't even guaranteed to maintain a sizeable community. If I want to play DotA, I'll play DotA until SCII's DotA comes out. Not enough people are going to pay for a clone, HoN will suffer a fate akin to that of demigod, it will do better. But not enough to be considered a successor to DotA, not by a long shot. I'd bet money on that.

ShadowyMoon
09-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Suit yourself, but having 20-30k users online all the time for a closed beta is about as far from a "small community" as you can get. And as I said, coming with no other games can be a plus, not everyone wants to play Footman Wars or make B.net accounts or own TFT to play DotA. And alternative methods are inefficent at best.

P.S I also doubt that Icefrog will bother to remake DotA for SC II.

Ironic
09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
and slightly better netcode

On be fair the net code is EXTREMELY good, some of the best iv seen in any game and its only in beta to boot

On a side note i doubt the SC2 version of dota will ever gain any real following, while there were a lot of dota like maps for the original sc it never really took off since sc doesn't have the hero level progression system that wc3 did. While your hero could level and gain harder etc it certainly wasn't ideal. I doubt sc2 will have a leveled hero progression system, i may be wrong about this though, i frequently am :confused:

Josh Warner
09-26-2009, 12:04 AM
On be fair the net code is EXTREMELY good, some of the best iv seen in any game and its only in beta to boot

On a side note i doubt the SC2 version of dota will ever gain any real following, while there were a lot of dota like maps for the original sc it never really took off since sc doesn't have the hero level progression system that wc3 did. While your hero could level and gain harder etc it certainly wasn't ideal. I doubt sc2 will have a leveled hero progression system, i may be wrong about this though, i frequently am :confused:

Uh, SCII's editor can do everything wcIII's could and more. Unit leveling systems/inventory is all a native option, you don't even have to script for it. The successor to dota will be on SCII I'm quite certain of that.

Suit yourself, but having 20-30k users online all the time for a closed beta is about as far from a "small community" as you can get. And as I said, coming with no other games can be a plus, not everyone wants to play Footman Wars or make B.net accounts or own TFT to play DotA. And alternative methods are inefficent at best.

P.S I also doubt that Icefrog will bother to remake DotA for SC II.

Icefrog has pretty much always been a hack. There is a very long list of 'creators' for DotA, icefrog is merely the latest. He's certainly not the best. The game has spiraled in and out of balance so many times since he took over. It's a shame the previous creators get pretty much zero recognition these days. I wonder if you could even name any of them. As far as number of people in the closed beta/active - they pretty much send a key to everyone. Know how many millions of people would be in the beta for SCII once it comes out if they did something like that? That's a pretty awful indicator of a community. Also to note, because they keep giving out large waves of beta invites, it appears as if it has a healthy community, but take a look at the active numbers, and the numbers of keys sent out with each wave. You'll find them suspiciously similar. Either tons of people are just not using their keys, or people aren't sticking with the game very long.

By the time HoN comes out, most people are going to be sick of it. Their mass invites to drum up hype are more likely to screw them than help them since the game doesn't have a lot of replayability what with it being almost a direct port of a game most of the people that are interested in HoN have already played to death.

ShadowyMoon
09-26-2009, 08:27 AM
It is up to Icefrog, since Guinsoo is in the LoL team, and I haven't heard of Eul in ages. As for post beta HoN, I can't really argue on that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Josh Warner
09-26-2009, 09:46 AM
It is up to Icefrog, since Guinsoo is in the LoL team, and I haven't heard of Eul in ages. As for post beta HoN, I can't really argue on that, we'll just have to wait and see.

There are plenty of capable people that have created AoSes over the years, SCII will have more than a few of them, and the community will eventually pick one as their 'favorite' it might not share the same name, but there will be a successor in SCII.