PDA

View Full Version : What is the price for dof?

Rubenrobbie2
08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Ive been wondering.... Is the pc version of dawn of fantasy free? Well they haven't added an faq on the official site of DOF. :confused:

sneaky_squirrel
08-27-2009, 08:26 PM
If I am correct, it should cost around the same as any awesome RTS, which should be a one time only of 50 bucks for the copy, I don't think they plan on charging monthly on online MMO or skirmish or anything.

Hope someone more suitable ca give more specific information, just confirming this isn't free, but I'm sure it will be worth the money.

Darvin
08-27-2009, 10:00 PM
You're probably looking at the standard price range for new games. As mentioned, 50 bucks sounds appropriate. It certainly won't be free (legally anyways <_<)

For my part, I pay for my games. If it's not worth paying for, it's not worth playing. That's not to say that freeware is bad, it's just that I won't pirate my games. I intend to support developers who actually strive to create excellent titles.

rolzuc
08-28-2009, 02:50 AM
[QUOTE=sneaky_squirrel;17371] I don't think they plan on charging monthly on online MMO or skirmish or anything.

-> as far as i know the MMO will be free

LiTos456
08-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Wait, why are you posting this in the 360 version forum again?

sneaky_squirrel
08-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Maybe he is planning on buying the Xbox 360 version, I'm going for the PC though.

LiTos456
08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
he's talking about the pc version in particular.

Darathor
08-28-2009, 03:17 PM
It should be available for around 50$ (roughly 35 euros) like most PC games do right now. There is no fee for MMO play or anything like that. However, there is the micro-transactions thing.

wills370
08-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I believe it will be closer to 40 in the uk once the sellers have had there chunk. :( still it looks well worth the money

Konstantin Fomenko
08-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I doubt most of gamers know how the cost of the game breaks down.

From the 50$ you get in a store like Besbuy or Wallmart, the store keeps around 8-10$. The manufacturing of that good looking game box, DVDs and manual takes another 5-10$ - depending on how fancy the Game box is. Usually Publisher would take at least 50% of what`s left. And in the end developer would get around 8$-10$ after years of hard work and majority of investment:)

We are really pushing DoF to be soled online as well as retail. Download size of the final game should be under 1.2GBs making it quite an easy download. And manufacturing and retail fees are almost nil.

Aametherar
08-28-2009, 06:13 PM

From the 50$ you get in a store like Besbuy or Wallmart, the store keeps around 8-10$. The manufacturing of that good looking game box, DVDs and manual takes another 5-10$ - depending on how fancy the Game box is. Usually Publisher would take at least 50% of what`s left. And in the end developer would get around 8$-10$ after years of hard work and majority of investment:) Awww ~hugs~ its ok ~pat pat~

We are really pushing DoF to be soled online as well as retail. Download size of the final game should be under 1.2GBs making it quite an easy download. And manufacturing and retail fees are almost nil.

Also yes download is awesome. Don't forget the adobe manual and whatnot.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-28-2009, 07:36 PM
I'll probably just buy it in the store. I'm not a fan of large downloads (at least, they are for my computer). :p

Darvin
08-28-2009, 07:39 PM
From the 50$ you get in a store like Besbuy or Wallmart, the store keeps around 8-10$. The manufacturing of that good looking game box, DVDs and manual takes another 5-10$ - depending on how fancy the Game box is. Usually Publisher would take at least 50% of what`s left. And in the end developer would get around 8$-10$ after years of hard work and majority of investment
The only surprise to me is the cost of the box. Seems these days every publisher is using exactly the same box, so you'd think you'd be able to buy them in bulk and stuff in your manual and cover art. Honestly, if it shaved $10 off my purchase I'd buy just the jewel case. The only thing I'd miss is the manual, but the charm that went into manuals of the older days just isn't there anymore anyways.

Digital distribution is really starting to make sense these days. I suppose this is a matter for your publisher, but there's very little overhead associated with digital distribution, certainly nothing on the order of actually packaging and shipping and occupying shelf space.

Josh Warner
08-28-2009, 08:22 PM
You're probably looking at the standard price range for new games. As mentioned, 50 bucks sounds appropriate. It certainly won't be free (legally anyways <_<)

For my part, I pay for my games. If it's not worth paying for, it's not worth playing. That's not to say that freeware is bad, it's just that I won't pirate my games. I intend to support developers who actually strive to create excellent titles.

I try games before I buy them, if there's a demo, great, if not, well. I don't buy games before I try them, waste way too much that way. It's a controversial stance, but quite honestly if a company isn't willing to let me try their game before I buy it, then I'm not willing to trust that they created a game worth paying for. I've saved hundreds doing this on games I played a day at most then removed from my PC. And games that I do really enjoy I make a point to go out and buy them. Fallout for example I enjoyed so much that when my gpu got melted by a bad psu while I was waiting on parts to arrive I went and bought a second copy - for my 360. Plenty of other games like that, and many more of the other type, that just weren't worth paying for.

The only surprise to me is the cost of the box. Seems these days every publisher is using exactly the same box, so you'd think you'd be able to buy them in bulk and stuff in your manual and cover art. Honestly, if it shaved $10 off my purchase I'd buy just the jewel case. The only thing I'd miss is the manual, but the charm that went into manuals of the older days just isn't there anymore anyways.

Digital distribution is really starting to make sense these days. I suppose this is a matter for your publisher, but there's very little overhead associated with digital distribution, certainly nothing on the order of actually packaging and shipping and occupying shelf space.

I have manuals for some really old games that are bigger than most novels. I loved that, but really it's all about digital distribution now. It's cheaper, and it's easier for most people.

nickson104
08-29-2009, 05:12 AM
The manufacturing of that good looking game box, DVDs and manual takes another 5-10$ - depending on how fancy the Game box is.

They really cost that much? :o

By the way, random question... Do the cases commonly used now cost more or less than the old game cases that were basically carboard boxes?? :p XD I actually like them cases more, the modern game cases are too small and flimsy which is why I like the fact most special editions of games are thicker :)

wills370
08-29-2009, 10:14 AM
They really cost that much? :o

By the way, random question... Do the cases commonly used now cost more or less than the old game cases that were basically carboard boxes?? :p XD I actually like them cases more, the modern game cases are too small and flimsy which is why I like the fact most special editions of games are thicker :)

Me too and they were produced at around the same price, because everyone was using them. If you wanted to produce the old cases now it would most likly cost more as not many people are doing it. Hence the special editions only having old style cases. But still i prefer them too. Like looking at the development and concept are also.

MrBlack103
08-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Maybe just for aesthetic purposes you could release a manual for either seperate sale or with a "special edition"?

wills370
08-31-2009, 06:11 AM
I wouldent be suprised if they opened up a walkthrough, or advansed stratergy guide later on like WOW has and other online games.

Kaznafein
09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Truly for this type of game I woundt mind paying monthly it looks good and they have to keep up the servers and updates. You know maybe not 15$ per month like most I think is standard maybe 5 or 10 per month. If they dont have to charge monthly and they just do expansions every once in awhile that'd be even better. But this game looks like it'll be awesome currently I'm not paying for any games monthly cause I dont think there worth it.

wills370
09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Truly for this type of game I woundt mind paying monthly it looks good and they have to keep up the servers and updates. You know maybe not 15$ per month like most I think is standard maybe 5 or 10 per month. If they dont have to charge monthly and they just do expansions every once in awhile that'd be even better. But this game looks like it'll be awesome currently I'm not paying for any games monthly cause I dont think there worth it.

quick shhh dont give them ideas :P lol

Hmm i agree i wouldent mind paying 5$ a onth plus expansion packs. that would keep it in the right price area. And compete even with guildwars with its no online fees.

deathgrail
09-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I would buy the game in store or D. download. If the games great i wouldnt mind a monthly fee of sorts, but 15 bucks a month is a lot for a game. I like the guild wars style of games. You buy the game then pay for x packs.

Darvin
09-04-2009, 12:16 AM
This game won't have monthly fees. Anything you pay after the original purchase is for expansions or mini-expansions. We're not yet sure what model Reverie will pursue with that regard.

wills370
09-04-2009, 03:10 AM
This game won't have monthly fees. Anything you pay after the original purchase is for expansions or mini-expansions. We're not yet sure what model Reverie will pursue with that regard.

I think expansions are always better. You apriciate the development more if it hapens in big changes then lots of little ones.

Kaznafein
09-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Thats awesome to hear makes this game even better in my mind that you dont have to pay monthly. Yep I like the guild wars style to were you pay for expansions and apparently it works for them.

wills370
09-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Thats awesome to hear makes this game even better in my mind that you dont have to pay monthly. Yep I like the guild wars style to were you pay for expansions and apparently it works for them.

yeah. I think if you have a good base of players. Like this game should surly have then it will have no troubles at all. Could also open a advert thing. (for extra moneys) where you have to look at 1 advert for 10 secs when you first open for the online play. (like msn video only not as much or as anoying lol)

zach12wqasxz
09-12-2009, 12:04 PM

From the 50$ you get in a store like Besbuy or Wallmart, the store keeps around 8-10$. The manufacturing of that good looking game box, DVDs and manual takes another 5-10$ - depending on how fancy the Game box is. Usually Publisher would take at least 50% of what`s left. And in the end developer would get around 8$-10$ after years of hard work and majority of investment:)

you guys would make a lot more money selling it online, that is what you guys should do, you should sell the game online, and for the xbox, sell it on xbox live,especially if its a small download of 1.2 gbs, you shouldnt even sell it in a store.........though that probably is a dumb idea on my part

Josh Warner
09-12-2009, 08:07 PM
you guys would make a lot more money selling it online, that is what you guys should do, you should sell the game online, and for the xbox, sell it on xbox live,especially if its a small download of 1.2 gbs, you shouldnt even sell it in a store.........though that probably is a dumb idea on my part

Digital sales are always superior for profit margins, however many people live in areas they get bandwidth capped, good luck dling several gigs for a game without being charged hundreds, assuming they let you go over your cap at all. (keep in mind any patches have to be DLed after you install the game, potential hash fails if torrent, or corrupted regular DLs)

wills370
09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Digital sales are always superior for profit margins, however many people live in areas they get bandwidth capped, good luck dling several gigs for a game without being charged hundreds, assuming they let you go over your cap at all. (keep in mind any patches have to be DLed after you install the game, potential hash fails if torrent, or corrupted regular DLs)

Should be ok if reveri hosts the update itself if it has the capability for running all this mmorts it should be able to take the train of running a auto update patch through it.

Rubenrobbie2
09-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Well if DOF costs money, they will need to make a free version too, so before buying the game, Reverie World needs to make a free version so before wasting our money on a game, we need to try the free version.

Josh Warner
09-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Should be ok if reveri hosts the update itself if it has the capability for running all this mmorts it should be able to take the train of running a auto update patch through it.

Oh, that goes without saying. You misunderstood I believe - I was saying that they have to download the game then any patches. For someone with a capped amount of bandwidth that could be a problem.

Jean=A=Luc
09-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Well if DOF costs money, they will need to make a free version too, so before buying the game, Reverie World needs to make a free version so before wasting our money on a game, we need to try the free version.

People usually call that one a "demo".

As for retail vs. digital distribution.
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/217502468_5GBeB-L-2.jpg
:p

Robert Schultz
09-15-2009, 07:13 PM
99.99% of all games being sold have a pricetag attached....:rolleyes:
I picked the last option just to be a ****.:p

Ironic
09-16-2009, 01:05 AM
god i hate f2p games
every f2p game iv ever played has been full of ******s and 12 year olds
more so than pay to play anyway

Rubenrobbie2
09-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Now that I know the price of DOF, I might buy it if I ever get enough money. My family is bankrupt.

Ironic
09-20-2009, 12:31 AM
My family is bankrupt.

that could be a problem, global financial crisis and all that

szebus
09-20-2009, 03:34 AM
My family is bankrupt.

You still have a home, something to eat and the internet so you may not be bankrupt.

Froot_Joose
09-20-2009, 04:40 PM
I really don't care how much it costs. I will buy this game regardless of its price.

Darathor
09-20-2009, 08:42 PM
I really don't care how much it costs. I will buy this game regardless of its price.

It appears that the games cost has increased by several hundred thousand percent. I wonder why.

wills370
09-21-2009, 03:01 AM
It appears that the games cost has increased by several hundred thousand percent. I wonder why.

O god i blame the zimbabwe government for pushing out yet more money and causing hyper inflation :P

Froot_Joose
09-21-2009, 07:11 AM

:o lol oops