PDA

View Full Version : Miscellanous units

sneaky_squirrel
08-27-2009, 05:40 PM
Introduction:

Hi, I am sneaky squirrel :D, I first heard about this game a few years ago. After a few weeks of stalking in these forums, a great sadness stroke me when I found out it was far from finished...so I vanished.

Few years later I find this again and once more begin stalking, I found a fan site and thought maybe I should join and get a little updated on the game, just then I find out a contest is being hosted and so I decide that maybe I should try and enter it for fun, one thing led to another and bam the site has awarded me the ancient key from the ancient sage "BeTa" said to be able to open the gates to the first age.

The point of this thread:

I was just wondering, since I plan to request the ancient instrument of world crafting (Editor),
will any miscellaneous units (Not available in skirmish or MMORPG) be included or will be included later on besides the dragon units?

LiTos456
08-27-2009, 07:54 PM
To respond to your introduction, I'm glad dofsource has given you a well entrance to the community and well, the game itself obviously. You must feel funny how you just came around to be here again and suddenly bam, you're in the first CB. :)

And to respond to your question, I actually don't think so, because I'm sure they'll use all they got in the rest of the game. However players can make mods, so obviously there will probably be plenty of those made by players in no time. And dofsource is there to host it! :D Sorry, just had to stick that in.

sneaky_squirrel
08-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Yeah feels very weird, and awesome as well, If I'm correct it should start around September - October (Or at least fairly close to that), right? :rolleyes:

Right forgot about the expansion, let's hope many modders take interest in this game. :cool:

I guess I'll have to keep myself entertained in something else until all the "exhausting" work commences :D .

MrBlack103
08-27-2009, 10:22 PM
I think there'd be plenty of miscellaneous units in the editor, such as a random dwarf warrior or something.

Darvin
08-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Presumably we'll have access to any content that was created specifically for the campaign or for NPC's that populate maps (both in skirmish and MMO mode). Other than that, it's difficult to say what will be available. Hopefully we'll see the ability to import custom models into our map, enabling community members with modeling experience to create custom content.

sneaky_squirrel
08-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Now that I think of it, I did hear about DoF supporting mods, if these could be easily installed/uninstalled with some kind of program, we could make singleplayer maps with custom units with ease ;p.

Aametherar
08-27-2009, 11:52 PM
From what i've heard we will be able to create custom units right down to the skin and spells, 100% unique, but don't think it's an easy task. As for the editor maybe if we're lucky we'l see a few units that were cut from the final product/may be added in the future in it. Optimistic is a couple cut units at most i'd imagine, and that's if we're lucky.

LiTos456
08-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Lol we should be able to make units like heroes in BFME2.

FlaschePommes
08-28-2009, 10:35 AM

A visual customisation only like armour, haircoulour etc would be fine for me.

Will there be custom banners or coat of arms? That would be very interesting, too.

sneaky_squirrel
08-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Custom banners would be really cool ;p.

wills370
08-28-2009, 03:28 PM
A complete unit and building painter tool would be a wonderful add on. Even as to go as far as add a jpeg uploader etc. (from a approved moderated site to avoid any lude logos). Would be a completly new idea and very fresh. Imagine a army with a custom coat of arms you designed would really make it your own.

sneaky_squirrel
08-28-2009, 03:48 PM
I hope I can get familiar with the game's editor as soon as possible ;p.

And I can't wait for the Beta to start, so exciting ;p.

Puppeteer
08-28-2009, 03:49 PM
This has been discussed in many topics. Please search for and post in those topics. As my sig states, thank you. I'm tired of the repitition.

Aametherar
08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
It's not a new idea, and extreme customization will be allowed in this game. (not mmo mode ofc)

LiTos456
08-28-2009, 04:38 PM
A visual customisation only like armour, haircoulour etc would be fine for me.

Will there be custom banners or coat of arms? That would be very interesting, too.
maybe a few different fase presets too?

Athos
08-28-2009, 09:18 PM

We do not speak of that game. We speak only of the mods. :P

That sounds like a cool feature, though. :)

Andy Joslin
08-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Making a new unit is easy. Here is a tiny example:

local T=NewCreatureTemplate("Orc-Units-Rabid Monster")

T.Mesh[1]="MyFolderPath/RabidMonster/mesh"
T.Texture[1]="MyFolderPath/RabidMonster/texture"

T.Animation[1]="MyFolderPath/RabidMonster/idle"
T.Animation[10]="MyFolderPath/RabidMonster/death"

T.DefaultMesh=1
T.DefaultTexture=1
T.DefaultAnimation=1

T.DefaultScale={3,3,3}
T.HasCollision=false

T.WalkSpeed=2934
T.RunSpeed=32459
T.FatigueCap=430
T.HitPoints=230
You set all the stats here

T.CustomProperties={
Rabid=false,
RabidTimer=false,
}

local Button=T:AddActioner("Rabid")
Button.Icon=""
Button.Details=""
Button.ExtendedDetails=""
Button.Func=function(Self)
Self:PlaySfx(UiIconLeft)
if Self.Fatigue>=50 then
Self.Rabid=true
Self.RabidTimer=10

Self.DefenceRating=Self.DefenceRating+100
Self.Weapon[1].Slashing=Self.Weapon[1].Slashing+100

Self:GreyActioner("Rabid")
Self.Fatigue=Self.Fatigue-50
elseif Self.Fatigue<50 then
Self:NotifyPlayer("Not enough fatigue, need "..50-Self.Fatigue.." more to use Rabid")
end

T.OnHeartBeat=function(Self)
if Self.Rabid==true and Self.RabidTimer>0 then
Self.RabidTimer=Self.RabidTimer-1
elseif Self.Rabid==true and Self.RabidTimer==0 then
Self.DefenceRating=Self.DefenceRating-100
Self.Weapon[1].Slashing=Self.Weapon[1].Slashing-100

Self.Rabid=false
Self:UngreyActioner("Rabid")
end
end

Tons of events you can use, including T.OnCreation, T.OnDeath, T.OnEndDying, T.OnDecaying, T.OnWalk, T.ClickOnUnit, T.ClickOnLocation, etc

This is but a tiny example of our unit-scripting. It is nearly limitless. It can interact with the scenario-scripting and interface scripting easily, too.

Darathor
08-29-2009, 09:14 AM
That doesn't seem easy to me lol!:D

LiTos456
08-29-2009, 09:28 AM
It IS easy. In fact you can just use that script and replace the parameters themselves with your own values. Just a little bit of effort and maybe a little googling and you're good to go.

sneaky_squirrel
08-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Shouldn't take too much for a modder to get a hold of some new units then.

Now that I think about it...is it possible to make things bigger than they already are without modding?

wills370
08-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Shouldn't take too much for a modder to get a hold of some new units then.

Now that I think about it...is it possible to make things bigger than they already are without modding?

ZoOm in or run it in a lower resolution?

:P

sneaky_squirrel
08-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Basically make it literally bigger, no zomming of any kind.

Probably not, but I'm just asking in case there is a way or something ;p.

LiTos456
08-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Yeah easily, they mentioned this a long time ago, you can scale the objects however you want.

sneaky_squirrel
08-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Sounds awesome ;p.

Been checking sites to kill time and ended up wanting to play 2 MMO betas that are far from staritng besides DoF :D.

nickson104
08-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah easily, they mentioned this a long time ago, you can scale the objects however you want.

Do units count as objects though? objects dont move... Units do...

Andy Joslin
08-30-2009, 04:10 PM
You can scale anything. You can also rotate it any way.

And nickson, yeah we meant object==unit.

For example, you could have an archer walking around with 0.5 z scale (0.5x height), and 2 x and y scale (2x width both ways). Fat and short!. Then you could rotate the archer so that it stands on its head, pointing 45 degrees.

Josh Warner
08-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Do units count as objects though? objects dont move... Units do...

Object = anything but the map itself (ground) typically for editors. Be it a rock, a unit, a building, a tree etc. All considered 'objects' for editors.

wills370
08-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Object = anything but the map itself (ground) typically for editors. Be it a rock, a unit, a building, a tree etc. All considered 'objects' for editors.

Wow thats amazing to have that on a scale this size. should make for some spectacular enviroments.

sneaky_squirrel
08-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Trust me, they will, I have seen scaled objects create great eyecandy ;p.

Maps should be fairly fun with this new fresh editor.

MrBlack103
08-30-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm seeing a fantastic RISK-style map of the whole of Mythador with scaled-down objects to compensate for lack of space. :D . That would be awesome:D :D :D

sneaky_squirrel
08-30-2009, 08:28 PM
The only possible way for that to happen is if triggers were able to scale units, I think that is asking for too much.

Andy Joslin
08-30-2009, 09:05 PM
The only possible way for that to happen is if triggers were able to scale units, I think that is asking for too much.
Asking for triggers to be able to scale units is asking for too little. :)

Josh Warner
08-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Asking for triggers to be able to scale units if asking for too little. :)

"My editor can beat up your editor!" ;)

Sounds like it'll be quite powerful indeed.

sneaky_squirrel
08-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Just saw something about it on DoFH, it's amazing how they actually implemented bridges.

Could this game be too powerful?

Also is it recommended to use triggers or to get more inside the code and try out scripting? (I am a scenario designer, so I am quite interested in how I have to get prepared for when I receive the editor).

Scripting seems a bit complicated since I just started learning C++, or more like attempting too since the simplest functions still confuse me (The tutorials I found are very difficult to understand).

wills370
08-31-2009, 07:23 AM
Just saw something about it on DoFH, it's amazing how they actually implemented bridges.

Could this game be too powerful?

Also is it recommended to use triggers or to get more inside the code and try out scripting? (I am a scenario designer, so I am quite interested in how I have to get prepared for when I receive the editor).

Scripting seems a bit complicated since I just started learning C++, or more like attempting too since the simplest functions still confuse me (The tutorials I found are very difficult to understand).

#True, think a few may have to reinvest into another graphics card. i know i am thinking about buying a second one to put in and im running Geforce 8800GTS 512

Andy Joslin
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM

'Triggers' and 'scripting' both use the same language, they just have different nuances in how they're used.

They're both simple to understand though, just look through a few scenarios' scripting and you'll understand much.

wills370
09-02-2009, 05:25 PM
'Triggers' and 'scripting' both use the same language, they just have different nuances in how they're used.

They're both simple to understand though, just look through a few scenarios' scripting and you'll understand much.

Hmm i might just have a look. If yo dont hear from me in a while it means ive corupted windows lol :P