PDA

View Full Version : Second DoFSource.com beta key contest: Create-A-Race!

LiTos456
08-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Ok children, we're back with more!
DoFSource has now setup a second contest, sticking to the little idea of being able to create your own stuff.
Last time you created your own units, which were also looked on by some of the development team of course, and won 3 of you beta keys.
This time, you'll be creating a whole race! Now that'll finally be a good place to spit out all your ideas that you've kept inside for god knows how long, and of course I'll make sure the developers take a good look at your entries, and perhaps take one or two of them and stick them in the closet for later use. :)

Anyway, here's how it goes:
You post the following details:

Race name:
Description:
Units (no specific stats here, just names and types):
History/About/Whatever else.

The history/about is for anything else. Could be special abilities, notes, history, umm.... I don't know, the kind of food they eat? Use your imagination.
So yeah, it's easy, but obviously you guys will be writing up essays on how magically wonderful your race is.
So go ahead onto dofsource (http://dofsource.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=39) and post your entries. This time, everyone can vote, including guests! So be sure to buckle up and make some good entries, because you'll need them soon.

Enjoy and good luck everyone! Yeah same deal, 3 winners, etc.
Deadline is august 22nd.
BUT I'M NOT DONE YET! :eek:

Whoever can guess what the 3rd Dofsource beta key contest will be, will get 1 free vote automatically added to their entry! :D

God bless Billy Mays!

Darathor
08-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Ahh, sweet! Another contest! This will cool to see all of the ideas people come up with.

Aametherar
08-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Design a game...or map hah, I wish (wants hands on map editor) lol. Anyways best of luck all I think you might want to limit the text in the description and history area litos, even if its a page worth, some may go way too far there.

LiTos456
08-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I don't want to put limits unless I'll see that I need to, but thanks for the headsup.

nickson104
08-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Ahh, sweet! Another contest! This will cool to see all of the ideas people come up with.

Aye... But I was the one who dared to go first and be judged... :p Plus the fact that everyone else is going to take tips off the previous posts and the ideas will get better as we go along... :) Should be quite cool :) Im expecting some cool races to pop up :)

Aametherar
08-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Aye... But I was the one who dared to go first and be judged... :p Plus the fact that everyone else is going to take tips off the previous posts and the ideas will get better as we go along... :) Should be quite cool :) Im expecting some cool races to pop up :)

I like your style! I used the same excuse last contest! ~heads off to check out your post~

nickson104
08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
I like your style! I used the same excuse last contest! ~heads off to check out your post~

Indeed, but it is a valid excuse because it IS true... But either way it doesnt really matter :) the main thing is having fun... And that I did :) :p

LiTos456
08-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Come on people chop chop lol. Dofsource always has the most interesting contests :)

Darathor
08-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Is the next contest going to be create-a-spell?

nickson104
08-06-2009, 05:40 AM
Come on people chop chop lol. Dofsource always has the most interesting contests :)

Indeed :) Chop chop people... I want to see another entry sometime... And seeing as I am leaving for holidays early tomorrow morning then I have little chance seeing one unless someone makes an entry TODAY... Please.... Someone? :)

wou129
08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
an intire race this time and i thaugt one unit was hard

Aametherar
08-06-2009, 05:09 PM
I think i'm going to enter for fun and just do something...well fun, but different since I can't win anyways (a pre-existing race not in DOF) if that's okay since I can't enter anyways. I'd do something funny but i'm stuck on 1 idea <.<

LiTos456
08-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Is the next contest going to be create-a-spell?

I wont answer just yet. Go make an entry!

Darathor
08-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Okay, I made one, but in Nickson's entry he also said that. Did he say it first or did I?

Aametherar
08-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Meh, there's so many possibilities I think if two get it right they should both get bonus vote. I think create a name would be cool, 100% original names and the devs could even go through that and pluck out ones they might possibly add to the game/storyline later.

LiTos456
08-09-2009, 03:37 PM
You guys won't get it right. Thats the point :P

Darathor
08-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Is it create-a-spell-school?
Or create-an-upgrade?
Or create-a-building?

Aametherar
08-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Ohh a hint, it's not a "create a" contest :P

Darathor
08-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Well then is it a "Who has the best hair" contest?
Or who can create the best advertisement?

LiTos456
08-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Ohh a hint, it's not a "create a" contest :P

ROFL, that WOULD be a good one, but unfortunately its not. You were close, weirdness-wise, not what it actually is, lol.

Kire
08-14-2009, 05:37 PM
I just came back from 14 days of being off home and now i dont have time to create entry=(, too bad, too bad =((((((.

Darathor
08-14-2009, 09:45 PM
When is the contest over again?

And SN1P3R started it.

The Ashbringer...

LiTos456
08-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Kire, I thought you had a beta key? lol.
Darathor, once we get 2 more entries I'll put up a deadline.
That's how I roll.

Kire
08-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Kire, I thought you had a beta key? lol.
Darathor, once we get 2 more entries I'll put up a deadline.
That's how I roll.

Yes but i like to be imaginative and see how ppl like idea and not for beta key =P.

Darathor
08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
lol, I accidentally clicked quote instead of edit to put my guess for the next contest.:D I deleted it though.

LiTos456
08-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Deadline is August 22nd.

LiTos456
08-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Last day peeps, if anyone wants to enter now is the last chance.

Aametherar
08-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I entered just for fun (=

Darathor
08-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Curse you using D&D against me!:D I like the Forgotten Realms setting.

LiTos456
08-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Ok, poll started everybody run and vote GUESTS CAN VOTE TOO.
Also, the next contest that nobody guessed is Create-A-Contest. Noobs :D
Also, deadline is the 26th.
And lol, 20 votes after one day. Good job dofsource! (the site itself I mean)

Aametherar
08-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Just wanted you to know for some reason your site crashes my IE when I click on any forum thread. Didn't test it for other reasons causing crashes though since I hate when IE crashes. Anyways my firefox is currently running on a p***y for various unscrupulous reasons so I was going to vote there instead but without logging in i'm getting the same error guests got last time "That's not a valid URI.1".

~sticks sticker to shirt saying I attempted to vote, and was shot by extremist millitant powermongers!~.

*muted a bad word.

**Man I just realized I get so many issues with your site that make it look like i'm attempting to cheat ~facepalm~. At least I report them lolz.

LiTos456
08-24-2009, 05:06 PM
I dont know... I cant do anything about it, maybe ask Thomas about the poll problems (do that actually) but as for the crashes, IE just plain sucks. Theres many bugs that IE has with the site, thankfully most people seem to be using mozilla, but there's really not much that I can try to do to fix that...or at least its beyond my knowledge.

Aametherar
08-24-2009, 05:07 PM
I just opened it on IE voted and closed :P, quick and snappy, also yeah I hate IE but like I said i'm using a p***y in Firefox at the moment so I didn't wanna vote there, i'm sure ya understand :P.

LiTos456
08-25-2009, 09:02 PM
I moved the voting until tomorrow night, since there was a strange downtime today. Hosting was being messy I guess.

LiTos456
08-26-2009, 11:52 PM
*lamely copy pastes from his dofsource news post*

We've got 53 different people voting and fighting for whoever gets the prize. And we've had some good competition here.
We have a winner! Congratulations Sneaky_Squirrel for winning your beta key for the first closed beta of Dawn of Fantasy!
And of course, we have the two peeps, tied tight with 10 votes each - Nickson104 and Ondal - congratulations on winning your beta keys for the 3rd closed beta!

As for the rest of the participants - I apologize you weren't able to make it, even though some of you were on your way. The voting results were as followed:

Sneaky_Squirrel - 14 votes, winner!
Ondal - 10 votes, 3rd beta winner!
Nickson104 - 10 votes, 3rd beta winner!
Andorile - 6 votes!
SNIP3R - 3 votes!
The hunstman, Squigglypig, Arnfiarnunn neanias - 2 votes each!
atom11, Darathor, peaches12w, GLACIALHELL, - 1 vote each!
Sorry guys =\

53 votes, woah that's impressive for this one, and some hella nice competition we had. Keep it up guys, we got 2 more contests to go!

Aametherar
08-27-2009, 01:03 AM
I think the next contest should allow votes by people who enter it and previous winners only to prevent people from using friends and pr****s to self vote.

Kire
08-27-2009, 02:35 AM
I think the next contest should allow votes by people who enter it and previous competitors only to prevent people from using friends and pr****s to self vote.

Little fixed for you =). Anyway you sugest they voted trough their friends?

nickson104
08-27-2009, 09:54 AM

Nah I liked the winning race a lot :) it deserved to win :) Im quite amazed I got a winning slot!!! XD OMGGGGG so much good news in one day :) :p

Aametherar
08-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Now now I would never accuse anyone of that :P, but I saw the shoutbox saying about votes from similar IP's which could include people changing own IPs/friends, and likely is not limited to those ones. Always some bad eggs :eek: I dunno though, it may be a bad idea since the voting seems to bring people to your website and get people to tell friends which does help so meh, nevermind ;p.

Anyways gratz nickson104, I voted for ya! Another orc to dominate the CB muwahaha! Actually part of the reason I voted for you is cause I wanted to see an exciting race and you were in 4th <.< guilty as charged! Everyone deserved it though, quite an in depth contest, i'm sure they'll all be in eventually though (=

sneaky_squirrel
08-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I'd love to have my race there like everyone else, but I have to accept the truth.

But I'm fine with humans, orcs, elves and later on dragons ;p.

LiTos456
08-27-2009, 07:46 PM
The next contest might be a little boring but it'll be here in a few days, not in a month which is how long it took this one.
This was actually an awesome contest, like a bigass wall of text there for the developers to read if they're ever bored, hehe lol.
The next contest you'll have to make your own contest, there will be 1 winner who'll get a key for the first closed beta and their contest will become the 4th contest which will have 3 winners.
However there may be no voting for the next contest, because this will allow people to vote for a crappy and easy one. Which is why at this point I'm at 60% for me picking the winner myself. But then again, this contest isn't as important. Yes the winner does get the first closed beta, because if I made it 2nd/3rd people wouldn't want to enter because they'll lose the chance of getting into first beta in the 4th contest. So I'll be picking - most likely - and that contest will be used. If all contest are complete crap and/or too easy, or don't follow the guidelines like they should - I will pick no-one, and go on with the 4th contest by making one up myself.

Edit: Aamethear, the voting indeed does give popularity to the site which in return will result in a bigger activity when the beta or the full game is out. Not that I'm trying to hog views and visits by making these polls public, but as you can see the benefit went to all of us, we had some interesting competition and quite a lot of votes, thanks to the guests. I doubt people were faking votes... There weren't THAT many, I think the case is just these 3 people's entries being much better in most people's eyes than others, so they went out with such a gap.
Personally I voted for Glacial... for some reason I always vote for the people whose vote in the end ends up only mine. Muahha, whoever I vote for in the 4th contest will be unlucky, since my curse will be upon him/her... hehe.

Aametherar
08-27-2009, 11:56 PM
I say let the devs vote on this one, that'd be neat and help show how active the devs are in the community which is insanely important.

LiTos456
08-28-2009, 09:23 AM
They're all pretty busy, I wouldn't be able to make them all vote..

Darathor
08-28-2009, 04:23 PM
vote...
Fixed.
I will come up with the most convoluted contest ever for this one.
I believe it will include puppies and a fiery hoop 5 feet in the air with a pool of sharks on the other end to land in to.:cool:

Aametherar
08-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Well I figure a couple devs even 4 or 5 plus the site admins is better than just you. If there's a tiebreaker then you could let the community vote on that.

LiTos456
08-28-2009, 04:34 PM
if there's 10+ entries 4 or 5 wont work since they each might have different opinions.