PDA

View Full Version : Flying units and aeial combat

MrBlack103
07-13-2009, 02:16 AM
I was wondering how complex combat involving flying units would be. Will they be able to ascend at your command? Will they perform complex maneuvers in order to dodge projectiles and other nasties?

nickson104
07-13-2009, 03:57 AM
I was wondering how complex combat involving flying units would be. Will they be able to ascend at your command? Will they perform complex maneuvers in order to dodge projectiles and other nasties?

I doubt they will ascend and descend at command, possibly they will have a land/takeoff command but that would be it I think... Maybe dodging could be a passive ability that they implement them to do...

szebus
07-13-2009, 04:42 AM
Hmmm... interesting idea with the flying units. This way You may put a dragon to stand on the castle wall or on top of a tower. :D

Kire
07-13-2009, 06:27 AM
I think i read somewhere they will just fly for some x time, like a "jump" (spell to use i guess).

Gigz
07-13-2009, 08:34 AM
it would be sweet having them standing on tops of the towers , remind me of gargolys for some reason :P

Darathor
07-13-2009, 09:04 AM
I doubt they would be able to ascend or descend at your command but for dodging projectiles, just moving your guy would help there.
There are very few flying units I believe and the only one I know of is a dragon mercenary.

Aametherar
07-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah, they don't use patriot arrows in this game like some other rts's, so the dodge ability is really just move the heck outta the way ability (faster units).

SPARROW94
07-13-2009, 01:32 PM
I think i read somewhere they will just fly for some x time, like a "jump" (spell to use i guess).

This is true, one again please try the search, there is old topics of this matter mr.black

wills370
08-28-2009, 02:20 PM
i think there is also mercinary dragons. Not sure how the battle system would work between two of thoose though. could make for some spectacular viewing.

LiTos456
08-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Freaking anti aircraft fireballz, that's what we need.

Aametherar
08-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I hear the dwarves are working on a heat seeking arrow technology.

wills370
08-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Freaking anti aircraft fireballz, that's what we need.

lol hmm true.. Althoug wont the dragons be imune being as they fire fire balls :P

think ice would be better cool thoose mother dragons down. And then you can feed your army for a week with there remains. Or sell it in the market like iceland.

Hmm wonder if the dragons will have certian magic immunity being a creature of mytholigy and such like,

Konstantin Fomenko
08-28-2009, 06:15 PM
it would be sweet having them standing on tops of the tower
I think you might have seen this already in the latest trailer. Our flying units can walk on the ground as well as fly.

As for the "jumping" comments i have read here. Think about it this way - if you task some archers to go from one tower to another they will travel by foot. A dragon would just lift off and land on another tower.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Do they only have a limited amount of air time then?

Thanks

wills370
08-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Do the dragons have any special bonuses agasint magic? being creatures of myth/magic etc.

and with the flying system are they able to do any rampart smashing. Grapping people off ramparts etc? As that would be an amazing feature. Would really be realistic. Just a thought due to some games they only have one attack and it makes combat unrealistic sometimes.

Kell Aset
08-29-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't like uber units but that's me anyway dragons will have biggest line of sight and it is rather important here.

Generation
08-29-2009, 02:02 PM
But uber units can change the tide of the game like in wc3 ladder :D frost wyrn=ftw

wills370
08-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I agree some uber untis can ruin the game. but with carefully managed settings and development i think they will be a welcome edition. If not made powerful to the point of complete ownage to the oposng side, where all forces have to concentrate to bring it down.

FlaschePommes
08-30-2009, 07:00 AM
The biggest advantage of the frost-wyrn in wc3 is that he can only get attacked by ranged attacks. The player must just kill the enemy archers and the whole army is vulnerable.
To avoid this you could force the dragon to use melee (for example by making a cooldown for the fire-breath), so he can get impaled by spearmen when he tries to grab some of them.

wills370
08-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Hmm good thoughts. Intresting though on combat. hope there would be a ranged only stance though if that was the case. Dont want my dragon dying. Who knows if im the king of that kkingdom i could die too lol :P

MrBlack103
09-02-2009, 09:23 PM
OT: Everyone, meet the guy who hacked my account and pretended to be me.

Anyways, I'd like to see an "automatic jump" that activates whenever you move the dragon a large enough distance that it would take longer to walk, or to a place unreachable by land.

wills370
09-03-2009, 05:29 AM
OT: Everyone, meet the guy who hacked my account and pretended to be me.

Anyways, I'd like to see an "automatic jump" that activates whenever you move the dragon a large enough distance that it would take longer to walk, or to a place unreachable by land.

Hmm his an idiot.... and on the dragon note. That would be a really nice feature. Especially if you send him into units it becomes a rsh attack. E.g. has a area imediatly around him that sends troops flying :P

would be good also if when you send him to target something he blows a stream of fire before going into a melee attack. Think it would be more realistic.

And if you could apply armour to the dragons :D

MrBlack103
09-03-2009, 04:11 PM
And if you could apply armour to the dragons
I'm really liking this notion. Just like Inheritance!

wills370
09-04-2009, 03:21 AM
I think that it would give some more depth. If as the game progresses you can upgrade yoru dragon mercinary. Therefore it would remain at roughly the same toughness to your enemy as there troops also level up.

Also anyone know if once you have a dragon mercinary it will stay with you through matches untill it dies or will it go away after every match?

Darathor
09-04-2009, 03:23 PM
If your talking about MMORTS mode, then yes, it will still be in the army that you fought with if it didn't die.

fyro11
09-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Having permanent air units may provide a more diverse means of aerial combat.

In light of what you say sir, if a Dragon was tasked with attacking a particular ground/air unit, would it land and do so? Or attack from the skies, kill and then land near the corpse?

Darathor
09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I have no idea.
But if I had to guess then I would say that they would at least land after a couple attacks from the air. It could get unfair otherwise. You could sacrifice all your units to kill his archers and let the dragon kill everyone else.

OrcSlayer
09-05-2009, 02:40 AM
Did the devs not say that flying dragons can only fly for a limited time
If stamiana is in the game (I think it is) It could constantly deplete stamina until it gives up and fall to the ground doing some damage so that you have to keep an eye one the stamina of the dragon to offset the arieal attacks

szebus
09-05-2009, 02:43 AM
If it is like this, with the dragon falling to the ground, then will the dragon tear down trees and kill soldiers on it's way down ? :rolleyes:

wills370
09-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Hmm i like the stamina idea. Means you would have to rotate units from the air. Would make it intreesting as you will have to micromanage your units to retain air supirioty and lots of damage. Also if it is fixed to the ground. Will stamina be affected during usual combat?

be good ide if you could put them to rest. So they regain at a faster rate but cant fight.

Darathor
09-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I doubt there will be that many air units, dragons will most likely be very expensive, and I can't see many more air unit types. Maybe a griffon or something similar to that. Most armies will probably not have more than one air unit if any at all.

Joseph Visscher
09-06-2009, 04:03 PM
There probably wont be many aerial units; dragons wont be a 'fly only' unit that you would see in some games, dragons in dawn of fantasy are like tanks that breath fire and have a hard time flying, wings do help in jumping though, jumping over stuff like walls; chickens are like that too, to heavy and big to fly with their crappy little wings. :p

Orc Slayer:
Grr Madda, Urr Dragon burn Orc Shield but our teeth Seg Okka behind shield waiting to bite dragon meat! Gellemakk Dragon cakkamakk grukk!

Heh, when the expansion comes all of your pitiful Dragons are going to feed my hordes of Orcs! Haradikk! The burnt eaten humans inside the Dragons' belly will be... dessert!

wills370
09-07-2009, 04:47 AM
[QUOTE=Joseph Visscher;17795]There probably wont be many aerial units; dragons wont be a 'fly only' unit that you would see in some games, dragons in dawn of fantasy are like tanks that breath fire and have a hard time flying, wings do help in jumping though, jumping over stuff like walls; chickens are like that too, to heavy and big to fly with their crappy little wings. :p

Intresting take on a dragon. I would have assumed it would of been a mainly areal combatant but this jump does make it alot more realistic (as far as dragons go).
Lets just hope the dragons dont run from people like chickens do too :P

Dan Riddell
10-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Definately an interesting take on dragons. Would be nice to still be able to see them fly for longer periods but they are real cool the way they are. I'm glad they can land. How does the animation look on the taking off and landing of dragons?

sneaky_squirrel
10-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Is the dragon fly time modifyable in the editor?, would be interesting for a minigame map or an interesting objective on a mission XD.

Have you made walls climbable yet? (Saw a comment ages ago where you mentioned you still didn't have those yet), I am guessing yes from the trailer, but we can never be sure.

wills370
10-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Hmm they could possibly introduce lesser dragons. Which didnt really have much strength in ground on ground combat but rather were lighter counterparts which could fly for thoose longer periods. for more arial/wall attacks?