PDA

View Full Version : Update on the Update.

Konstantin Fomenko
07-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Dear DoF forums,

As you know the huge media update we were working on for the past month and promised to release in early June is still not here. We have plenty of good reasons for being late though. I won`t get into details - but somewhere between fixing our publishing situation and making a choice to prioritize working on the beta build.

At this point our media release is a week from being finished, but to be safe, we decided to set the Update release date for July 15th.

Thanks for your understanding.

To make up for this delay, couple of screenshots to ease the mood.

Elven Army massing by the stronghold
http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/Weekly_17/1.jpg

Orcish town under construction
http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/Weekly_17/2.jpg

HUGE mountain, and eagle
http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/Weekly_17/4.jpg

Fully upgraded human farm
http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/Weekly_17/3.jpg

Aametherar
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Awesomeness!

Kire
07-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Wow thx very much for those pictures. I liked the most the first elf one, elf pictures always look so impressive =).

Darathor
07-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Those look amazing! The weather and the lighting look awesome.
The early human villages always look so beautiful and quaint.
Thanks for the sreenshots and thanks too for prioritizing on the beta, hope to see it soon!

Aametherar
07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
we want orc pics..big orc...troll with elf in mouth, yum yum! Personally I think the second pics the best. It'd be better if we saw an elf getting eaten in it though.

Generation
07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
amazing pictures lol july 15 is a friend's birthday nice job guys!

Jean=A=Luc
07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Great shots. :)

Phylast
07-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Hurray eagles!! I don't particularly like eagles, but any kind of creature in a landscape helps even the poorest quality graphics look good. With DoF's beautiful scenery stand out and be alive. All in all, everything looks great.

The_Biz
07-01-2009, 09:50 PM
sweet

lighting is a bit weird looking in the first shot though

in the mountain and eagle shot... is that ice floating on a river? (and is it possible to walk on it)

szebus
07-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Woooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww :eek: , I can't express my gratitude for those pictures. Huge TNX.

BTW is there a Bull rider Orc at the siege picture?

Aametherar
07-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Woooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww :eek: , I can't express my gratitude for those pictures. Huge TNX.

BTW is there a Bull rider Orc at the siege picture?

Oh, are those orcs? I mistook them for human big green and ugly, besides it looks much more like a furry cow rider.

nickson104
07-02-2009, 02:54 AM
I LOOOOVE the pictures of the early stages of human race... the 'farmhouse stage'... it just looks so quaint and homely, similar in feel to the Shire from Middle Earth kind of thing... Is it possible to NEVER pass that stage? it would be pretty cool if you could keep it like that just a small town, unwalled... Yeah it would be impractical but it would be a TOWN not a fortress... it would be cool :)

OrcSlayer
07-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Amazing, truly amazing. away in the could be better if the Orc town was burning and an elven army is marching away in the distance

Kire
07-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Oh, are those orcs? I mistook them for human big green and ugly, besides it looks much more like a furry cow rider.

Ha you admitted they are ugly, and why do you want to play them if they look like a humans? =P
and szebus... it is not a siege picture it is building picture (says in its title =P)

Konstantin Fomenko
07-02-2009, 07:32 AM
is that ice floating on a river?

Yeah, we are still workng on the ice system, most likely if it freezes most parts of the river/lake, your units will be able to walk on it.

Darathor
07-02-2009, 07:38 AM
So you could march your army over a frozen river that an enemy player thought would act as a natural barrier and surprise attack them? That would be sweet. Another way it could be useful is that a bigger army is chasing your army and you cross a frozen river but then it thaws and the bigger army can't cross.
So many possibilities.:)

szebus
07-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Or the enemy army is marching towards youre troops and when they stand to cross the frozen river, suddenly you trow a rock from a catapult and the enemy army is done. :D

Kire
07-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah, we are still workng on the ice system, most likely if it freezes most parts of the river/lake, your units will be able to walk on it.

So you are saying you will have 4 season and not just weather?
(well that would be really nice... in spring flowers bloom and more rain... winter snow..... sumer more snow and maybe rivers could loose some water-dry, and than the las season... (forgot name in english =P) where all trees become colorful - redish/brownish/yellowish.... and so on =P (oh and in winter many animals would be sleeping =P) would be nice....)

The Witch King of Angmar
07-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Nice screens guys. I especially liked the Men farm, it looked pretty realistic. Keep up the great work!

szebus
07-02-2009, 08:58 AM
... and than the las season... (forgot name in english =P) where all trees become colorful - redish/brownish/yellowish.... and so on ...
Autumn

http://goldenferi.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/autumn.jpg

Konstantin Fomenko
07-02-2009, 11:03 AM
We do hope to add Fall and Spring seasons, but there is a chance this will happen post release.

zach12wqasxz
07-02-2009, 11:31 AM
i like the last picture for some reason, so peaceful......can u catch all that on fire?

wou129
07-02-2009, 12:18 PM
i like those screens

Aametherar
07-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Mmmm I do love destructible environment I liked it in C&C series how you could burn down trees with grenades etc. and people hiding in em would get fried. Anyways some of that stuffs too shiny for me, reminds me of stronghold 2 on max graphics, I couldn't even see what the units looked like just big shiny blobs so I had to turn down the graphics settings.

It'd also be awesome in MMO mode if there was a sort of editor to fully customize defense/traps, different aspects used would have to cost resources, it'd probably take some work to figure out the system but it'd be awesome to attack someone and run into a 100% unique trap noone has ever seen before, it'd also add a major strategic element that requires real cunning. Something I would like to do for example is have a line of archers firing at the enemy then when they get close nuf have some ogres turn some wheels in diff places and walls pop up from the ground, 1 under the archers and 1 behind the enemy, awesome stuff like that.

Darathor
07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
That would be a pretty complex trap but would be awesome.:)
But the idea of making your own traps is cool and would let a good player do insane things.

Puppeteer
07-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Who needs walls, that farm looks too darn lovely to ruin with behemoths of stone.

Aametherar
07-02-2009, 07:26 PM
That would be a pretty complex trap but would be awesome.:)
But the idea of making your own traps is cool and would let a good player do insane things.

Yup, if not directly supported a team consisting of volunteer+staff that works on that stuff could be assigned to multiplayer to address peoples new defensive strategies in private. Players would submit their plans, the team would work on them and make it possible, then the player would be able to do it, after that it branches out, as in the only way to learn it from their on out is by fighting another player who uses that strategy, then the good strategies branch out like wildfire, and some rare ones are kept in wait for a special enemy. I just think it'd be insanely awesome if not directly supported in the actual MMO mode. Of course it'd be mostly volunteers under NDA led by 1 or a few devs since that stuff takes time and money, either way it'd be amazing.

Darathor
07-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Yes it would be awesome and the number of possibilities would astonishing!
I would come up with a secret one just for you Aametherar.:D

Kire
07-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I think it would cause to much balancing problems tho i dont like that idea much =P and for some "unique" traps it is hard to mod. And bdw aametherar that wall trap... wouldnt be walls visible allreay ?=) and you need time to build such a trap.... enemy can just go different way and you were building it for 5 days for nothing ?=) you cant just pop it in within 1 sec as fight goes. You need to be 100% sure about time and location of an attack to start build ther but that is almost imposible and just nubs would go into it.... without seeing/realizing it (wow trolls at wheels and ohoh hidden wall in grass =)) or did i missed something ?=P

MrBlack103
07-03-2009, 05:34 AM
Is it possible to NEVER pass that stage? it would be pretty cool if you could keep it like that just a small town, unwalled... Yeah it would be impractical but it would be a TOWN not a fortress... it would be cool
The way I understand it, in general there are several farms outside your castle. If it IS that way, I wanna be orcs and just annoy people by attacking their outlying towns, not their castle. Then, when their army's spread really thin, WHAM! I take their castle. pwnage:D

OrcSlayer
07-03-2009, 06:28 AM
when an orc army is charging towaeds my strongold i want to be able to send a few workers to turn big wooden wheels to make hiden slanted spikes come out of the ground pointing at the orcs as soon just a they reach the walls
mabye the devs could implement a Galactic Civilizations ship builder style trap designer

Kire
07-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Bdw those traps work usually only in movies, tho in past they did not have time or resources (greedy) to make them and it could be hard/imposible to hide it in some types of places. Beside usually its all wooden and you know what happens if you too long have it hidden in the grounds ? it rot + there could be traitors that would tell you they have those stuff there so they wont buy it. And why attack castle if you can wait till they starve and their "traps" are same as nothing. Than there is a building time and you have to be 100% sure there will come enemy that way + you change the look of the land.
The conclusion would be that they would be totally unrealistic and as said cause imbalances so i say rather no such kind of traps.

But in reality ppl could had in gatehause/bellow a hole, if you destroy gates they could move the ground in gatehause and enemies would fell into it. But devs would than have to do some sort of stuff that they could in some strugle come past it aka throw more bodies in it or make bride or those kind of stuffs. so this things complicate to much and are imposible to put them into the game mod context (because it is not just a trap but there are 999999 other things you need to look)

Josh Warner
07-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Great screenshots, especially liked the elves lined up. Finally decided to sign up with beta so close, media release expected in 12 days as well is wonderful news. Very high hopes for the game.

Darathor
07-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Welcome then Haeso!

Joseph Visscher
07-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Hurray eagles!! I don't particularly like eagles, but any kind of creature in a landscape helps even the poorest quality graphics look good. With DoF's beautiful scenery stand out and be alive. All in all, everything looks great.

Sorry to spoil your Fantasy, but that is a 'real' eagle, not a huge one you would find in the Lord of the Rings.

Is it possible to NEVER pass that stage? it would be pretty cool if you could keep it like that just a small town, unwalled... Yeah it would be impractical but it would be a TOWN not a fortress... it would be cool

Buildings never change form to a higher tech, just higher tech buildings are built within the stronghold around them.

Yes you can just stay at a lower level, it is your choice when and what to build including your walls. Although not having walls in late game sieges, is completely insane on your part, unless your Orc,,, it wouldn't effect your mental stability.

Aametherar
07-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Oh no, I meant you dig a ditch and put the walls inside it, cover the top up so it looks like normal ground, then when the enemy is inside you raise it up. from an underground area with wheels and giant ogres (or hordes of smaller units). Before mentioning the other stuff, the guy who mentioned galactic civ designer is accurate with what I meant when I said customizable traps, spore has the same type of thing. So that's what I meant when I said user customizable, and possible additions for more intricate type traps would be added in the future, like stuff you can move with giant wheels <.< lolol (yes i'm obsessed). Also for the guy who said run out and build it, I meant this for the mmo version not pure rts version :P

P.S. I agree, orcs are the perfect picture of mental health, nothing will deter us!

Oh and I hope theres an orc unit called the slayer, just to smite mr orc slayer.

szebus
07-03-2009, 11:19 AM
This is an old one, i guess, but I don't remember seeing it :

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/RND2/3.jpg

Aametherar
07-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Ohh cool, I love how you can see the unit selection circle around 1 of em. (unless that's the map editor tool lol) Hmmm this game might be pretty cool with a pure sea war aspect "Sea wars expansion"

Darathor
07-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Cool screenshot, I don't think I've seen it either.

Grizzlez
07-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Loving the screens, a three way army attack would be cool with all armies trying to batter one another.

wou129
07-03-2009, 12:06 PM
i have seen it before but indeed its prity old

szebus
07-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Here is another one (old) found by Google search:

http://static1.filefront.com/images/cqilbtmwuv.jpg

Darathor
07-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm sorry but that elf dude is gonna get destroyed, if not by the troll then by the dozens of goblins and orcs.

Aametherar
07-03-2009, 12:54 PM
2 dead elves and 1 about to die elf, my kinda screeny, but mean those graphics are dated, I don't really mind graphics but don't want to mislead people, they've updated since heh.

Darathor
07-03-2009, 02:05 PM
I count six dead elves and only like one dead goblin.

OrcSlayer
07-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Aamethar your slayers shall be destroyed by my bladlestorms and mages
Good shots even if they are dated

Aametherar
07-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I count six dead elves and only like one dead goblin.

Goblins sleeping.

Darathor
07-03-2009, 06:38 PM
It does look like he's trying to lay against the troll's foot.:)

jecjoker
07-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Well the elfs got whoped by the loosk of it but is this all of what was there or just the front lines? O and ive been waiting for this game for so long though I havent been on the forums at all I have dates of evry update saved on my personal drive:D I look foward to it and expect to see me here alot more.
P.S.
I noticed the fluttering green cape on the right side it looks like one of them got shot at and triped or something like that:confused:

jecjoker
07-03-2009, 09:01 PM
It does look like he's trying to lay against the troll's foot.:)

Completly agreed:}.....lets hope the trol ldoesent move right.....:(

rolzuc
07-04-2009, 05:02 AM
dunno if the question has been answered elsewhere: why is everyone lefthander? cheers

adamater
07-04-2009, 12:26 PM
those horses in the first picture are so shiny.... i love the picture with teh eagle!

OrcSlayer
07-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Those pictures are old and there have been major graphical updates since then so mabye there are right-handed people in mythador

LiTos456
07-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Last one looks amazing.
Sorry I'm late guys, been busy terrorizing Ubisoft in Montreal.

jecjoker
07-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Those pictures are old and there have been major graphical updates since then so mabye there are right-handed people in mythador
You think?:confused: Well if thats old im goign to fall in love again:eek:

nickson104
07-05-2009, 04:22 AM
Last one looks amazing.
Sorry I'm late guys, been busy terrorizing Ubisoft in Montreal.

Oh? Do tell? :) :p Did you enjoy? Did you sow the seeds of madness and terror in them? :p XD

LiTos456
07-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah I tortured them for info of Assassin's Creed 2. Stole a few pre alpha copies. I let them live only so that they could finish it...

Aametherar
07-05-2009, 11:30 AM
The original screenshots posted on this thread are new, the others aren't.

Darathor
07-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Is that a Blademaster in the top left corner of the first screenshot, on a bridge behind the first wall?

LiTos456
07-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, looks like it. Nice spotting :P

Aametherar
07-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Oh no, they're late! ~keels over and dies~ Poor devs must be working their butts off trying to get things done.

Darathor
07-18-2009, 08:30 PM
They said that while the media section was complete, the overview or whatever would barely scratch the surface. I think they are working on that and/or the beta.
Ya, the features' page doesn't have as much info as would be satisfying, found on page one of the Updating the Website(Screens Inside!) created by Passerby.

Neotyguy40
07-21-2009, 12:00 PM
I just hope they can get it out soon...

Maybe they are afraid of releasing the beta? I know from experience that running a beta game is extremely hard work...

Andy Joslin
07-21-2009, 12:45 PM
I was pessimistic about us making this date..I hope Kon doesn't announce another one.:p

And neo, it is simply not finished.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Again, continue to take your time.

ThrashmetalFTW
07-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I seen this game on gamespot a while ago but only recently discovered the forums.

From those pics, the teaser/trailer and just the name "Dawn of Fantasy" i can finally see a game i'm going to fully enjoy, i've always wanted an epic fantasy like this.

SvN
07-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Again, continue to take your time.

sure, take your time.. but: don't promise any dates if you can not hold them, it is getting really annoying.

Darathor
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Keep making the game, I don't care about updates that just keep the mood upbeat, as long as the game comes out within a reasonable date I will be content. But an upbeat mood is still good.:p

Josh Warner
07-21-2009, 07:16 PM
I waited until 2009 for a game that started production in 2002 or so. It was supposed to be released several times in 2006, 07, 08 and 09. They constantly failed to live up to deadlines for both release and media stuff, even weeks after beta started people were still calling the game vapourware, that's how bad it had gotten. Still followed it. Game ended up failing for various reasons, but hey, can't all be winners. Long story short - people will still be here regardless of how long these guys take to make the game. This game fills a niche of the market, a fairly big one I'd imagine.

Andy Joslin
07-21-2009, 07:42 PM
We have a 'virtual office' and not many full-time employees. Deadlines are sometimes hard to keep. Most of our employees are just ex-gamers who spend much of their extra time doing this.

That is part of the reason why we shouldn't make any public deadlines, imo.;)

Josh Warner
07-21-2009, 07:45 PM
We have a 'virtual office' and not many full-time employees. Deadlines are sometimes hard to keep.

This is why we shouldn't make any public deadlines, imo.:p

Speaking from experience, people will complain and cry about 'no information' or they'll cry about it being wrong, or they'll cry about it being too far away, unless you can release the game tomorrow, they're going to find something to complain about. It's best not to bother :P a headache either way, save yourself a bit of trouble lol

Liljagare
07-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Speaking from experience, people will complain and cry about 'no information' or they'll cry about it being wrong, or they'll cry about it being too far away, unless you can release the game tomorrow, they're going to find something to complain about. It's best not to bother :P a headache either way, save yourself a bit of trouble lol

DEMIGOD is a good example of a just nasty group of players writing in the forums.. :o

Horrible, just horrible...