PDA

View Full Version : PC system requirements?

zach12wqasxz
06-27-2009, 05:14 PM
can anyone tell me what the requirements are going to be for this game? my computer is decent and can run games like medeival total war 2 and stuff fairly well but this being a mmorts and lot of other players playing the game as well im not sure my computer can handle it, will i need a really top knotch computer for this or will the average every day gamer like myself without $5000 to blow on a really nice gaming computer be able to play it?
these are my pc specs (laptop)
1.50G of ram
ati radeon x1200 graphics card
64x dual core processor
and im not sure about the rest

Darvin
06-27-2009, 06:29 PM
The game is incomplete right now, so Reverie can't give an accurate statement on what the system requirements will be. They are going to optimize it at a later date, so the system requirements in the current build are higher than they will be in the final release.

I'd say that you'll probably be fine. If you can run M2:TW, your graphics card is probably good enough. Worst case scenario you may need to add a stick of RAM (a lot of new games recommend 2 gigabytes these days), but that's a $50 upgrade and not a massive investment.

Also, if you're careful where you order your parts from and you assemble your machine yourself, you can make something very kickass on a budget of under $2000. In fact, even a dream machine should cost no more than $3000. It shouldn't cost you $5000 to build a new machine. Your supplier is gouging you if it costs that much.

zach12wqasxz
06-27-2009, 06:46 PM
the whole $5000 thing was just a guess, i knew that good computers were up in the thousands but i wasnt sure how high so i took a randomn guess and sorry for posting this question in the xbox 36 section i didnt realize that till just now.

Aametherar
06-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Just over $2000 is actually enough for a mobile desktop (laptop with power of desktop) if you know what to look for. Also like Darvin said $2000 is nuf for a high end gaming rig if you know what to look for, anything beyond that is just fluffing for the future, which in the PC world is a bad idea and it's usually better to wait and upgrade later.

saber153
06-27-2009, 07:40 PM
if ur looking for a gaming PC and u don't want to build one ur self try alien ware computers they are real good for gaming. i know this from experience.

Aametherar
06-27-2009, 07:50 PM
if ur looking for a gaming PC and u don't want to build one ur self try alien ware computers they are real good for gaming. i know this from experience.

Actually alienware is expensive if you actually crack the numbers (few do which is why so many recommend it). Either way you have to know whats worth upgrading and what isn't if you go that route.

Darvin
06-27-2009, 10:19 PM
sorry for posting this question in the xbox 36 section
Don't sweat it; I'll move you over to the general discussion board.

zach12wqasxz
06-27-2009, 10:42 PM
i got another question (my millionth today) i have a vista so a lot of games that only need 1gigabite of ram for an XP need 2gigs for a vista what would happen if i downgraded my laptop to an xp? will it run games that require less for an xp operating system and would it be worth it downgrading my pc? also will this affect any of my previous games i have already?

The_Biz
06-27-2009, 11:59 PM
lol $5000 pc

seriously $700 gets you extremely high end stuff. $300 will really play every game

zach12wqasxz
06-28-2009, 12:22 AM
plz feel free to post a hyperlink with a site thatll give you a computer capable of playing games like crysis and empire total war for 700$

zach12wqasxz
06-28-2009, 12:23 AM
lol $5000 pc

seriously $700 gets you extremely high end stuff. $300 will really play every game

do you mean hardware or a prebuilt computer all ready to go for just 700$ tell me where i can find one!

The Witch King of Angmar
06-28-2009, 11:50 AM
I was looking at a pretty good Dell for $300 but would need to put in a $200 video card for the game. Could you guys recommend where I could get a video card for cheaper?

Thanks

Kire
06-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I was looking at a pretty good Dell for $300 but would need to put in a $200 video card for the game. Could you guys recommend where I could get a video card for cheaper?

Thanks

I got my Lenovo for 540 Euros =) (laptop-the moving one =P) and it surprise me how good works on games =) (tho world of warcraft, warcraft 3, batlefield 21xx, halo, all on high details but had some problems with total war on many mobs and details)

Aametherar
06-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I think most stuff has a lot of issues if you go too far on total war, but it is amazing how it handles that many troops so well.

What i'm hoping is that if they go with the plan of upgrading the graphics before the release they make it compatible with the old graphics so and give 2 options on install, this would open the game to a much wider base of players and leave for a high variance in minimum/recommended specs. One player could be seeing all these awesome fx while the other is just playing older looking graphics in the same battle, but the tactics remain the same. Call it Graphics pack one and two, but it'd certainly be a great way to widen the player base on both ends (people obsessed with graphics, and people who can't afford them or want the highest performance for tactics). There would be more money and revenue, heck you could even advertise that fact on the box to appeal a new game to lower end gamers. Great way for people who have friends they rarely get to play with due to pc spec differences etc. Just so many reasons it'd be awesome, and i'm betting it'd be worth keeping both up to date once the results are in.

The_Biz
06-28-2009, 07:04 PM
do you mean hardware or a prebuilt computer all ready to go for just 700$ tell me where i can find one!

hardware
newegg.com

if you want a prebuilt, you can still play all the games, just at a little lower settings.

Aametherar
06-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Yep, do a lot of research find out the parts you need, and if you're too scared to build your own (even though you can learn off youtube tutorials it's honestly that easy, actually setting up speeds etc. can be a hassle so you may want help), then find a local guy who fixes comps and tell them you'l supply the parts if they can build it for you for their usual fix it fees based on time worked.

P.S. If you do build it yourself don't get a CPU fan that uses pushpins, just don't. Unless you're experienced (or even if you are) you might end up with a broken pushpin/useless fan, or worse (less likely if you're careful), a broken motherboard lol...Stupid cheap*** pushpins -.- Ask anyone who's built a computer what they think of pushpins, they'll rant for an hour.

Darvin
06-28-2009, 10:35 PM
A gaming computer needs a case, a power source, a hard drive, a dvd drive, a motherboard, a CPU, a graphics card, an ethernet card, a power supply, and an operating system. This presumes you don't need peripherals like mice, keyboards, speakers, and a screen.

Even presuming you go cheap, you're unlikely to get your computer for under $1000. If you got a good deal from a supplier, then I could see you putting something together for around $1000, but personally I think you're better off shelling out $2000, because chances are it'll last you longer.

szebus
01-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Any news about the system requirements of DoF ? :confused:

Edit: just looked at the Official FAQ Thread (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509&highlight=system+requirements) and here it is , the system requirements. LoL me.

zach12wqasxz
01-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Any news about the system requirements of DoF ? :confused:

Edit: just looked at the Official FAQ Thread (http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509&highlight=system+requirements) and here it is , the system requirements. LoL me.

nope, not much,

szebus
01-14-2010, 10:45 AM
After seeing again the system requirements, was wondering about if the game will work with low detail and resolution on a

PC: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 945GCM-S2L
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz
Ram: 1016MB RAM
Gfx Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

Not for else, but as i mentioned some time before, I would like to play this at work on spare time... working for public administration is not always a busy job.

zach12wqasxz
01-14-2010, 12:00 PM
After seeing again the system requirements, was wondering about if the game will work with low detail and resolution on a

Not for else, but as i mentioned some time before, I would like to play this at work on spare time... working for public administration is not always a busy job.

you will probably not have enough RAM or a good enough graphics card, especially since that one is an integrated one

Henry Martin
01-14-2010, 12:01 PM

add atleast one more gig of ram and you should be able to run this game on around medium settings.

The a few things that you can do to get better perfomence and still keep good quality is turn off anti-aliasing and turn down shadows. Those are the two biggest hardware hogs.

zach12wqasxz
01-14-2010, 12:07 PM
add atleast one more gig of ram and you should be able to run this game on around medium settings.

i really doubt his gpx card is good enough, it has 256 mb of memory, and its shared memory not dedicated, im betting minimum requirements will be 512 dedicated memory. but thats just a guess, and im no computer expert

Henry Martin
01-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Min will probably be 256 as 512 is high for min, but I skipped over that its was an intel video card. You would definitly need a new one of of these.

The min for the game is a GeForce 7600 256MB and you can get a gf 7600 512mb for less then $100.

szebus
01-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, not even SAGA runs normally on that PC. That is why I hope it will work on very low pc specs. If not, that's it, I will only play at home :p

Kire
01-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Is GeForce 7300 acceptable (sorry i dont know much about that if 7600 i better than 7300 or is still quite acceptable?) and 1.8ghz dual core procesor?

And what does anti-aliasing do?

blackfang
01-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Well it should be possible with geforce 7300 if geforce 7600 is the min, because for bfme 1 i had a computer that had geforce 6 something when it required i think it was 6900 and i played it without a lag tough i don't know i bet it is possible in some way:D

Darathor
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
The system requirements/recommended were posted at dofheaven a week or two ago, and they are still being lowered. It said that for minimum requirements, 1 gig of ram is minimum for xp, 2 gig for vista I believe. The thread is here=http://dof.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=45,334261,,30

Henry Martin
01-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Well the graphics card doesn't really matter, the spec are what matter. as long as you video card meets the min specs you can run it.

I still would have at least 2 gigs.

Josh Warner
01-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Is GeForce 7300 acceptable (sorry i dont know much about that if 7600 i better than 7300 or is still quite acceptable?) and 1.8ghz dual core procesor?

If you don't know what anti-aliasing does - you don't need anti-aliasing :p it's not terribly important.

Henry Martin
01-14-2010, 08:04 PM

If the 7300 has a higher memory then the 7600 then I would a little better. 1.8 ghz dual core is above the min (I have a 2 ghz core 2 duo).

anti-aliasing is what softens the edges of objects on screen. If you ever looked at stuff in games and the edges look blocky or pixelated, anti-aliasing basicly blurs them to get a smoother edge. Ps3 is a good example as it doesn't support anti-aliasing and the 360 I think only supports 2x anti-aliasing.

here is a pic of anti-aliasing:

http://www.gemaga.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/anti-aliasing.thumbnail.png

szebus
03-14-2010, 07:20 AM
:D Just bought a new desktop PC, hope it will be enough for DoF :p

System Model: GA-MA770-UD3
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 425 Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4810 series

Henry Martin
03-23-2010, 10:03 PM
That should be good. I just got a new pc last week.

-gigabyte x58a-ud3r motherboard
-Intel i7 920 2.6ghz
-radeon HD 5750 1GB (x2) crossfireX
-6GB ocz ram
-850 watt corsair psu
-500GB western digital hdd

So I will definitely be able to play DOF.

sneaky_squirrel
03-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Ima defy the mininum requirements and face DoF with 1 GB RAM XD.

Negthareas
03-24-2010, 02:30 PM
nice machine krabs

Henry Martin
03-24-2010, 02:54 PM
nice machine krabs

Yeah I pretty proud of it. If I would had just a little more money, I would have got 2 better cards or waited for the new Nvidia 400 series. I got Metro 2033 for testing and it runs pretty good except It doesn't have Vertical sync, so there was a lot of tearing.

wills370
03-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Hmm i need to redo mine but currently running on
vista
4gb of ram
intell quad core duo
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Unen
03-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Actually I highly highly HIGHLY recommend people ignore that statement. Aliendware computers are insanely over priced (for example my rig that I built for 1500 USD, would have cost 2200-2500 if I had bought it at Alienware). As with every place their customer service kind of blows not to mention a lot of the times they will give you faulty parts. I've had two alienware computers, the first a laptop with faulty cooling, and a bad GPU, the second a desktop with a bad CPU and ram (all were admitted faulty by them when I sent it back to get fixed.).

So why pay an extra 500-1500 on a computer when its going to fail on you anyways, when you can easily build your own, have it run perfectly (assuming you know how to build it) and have the extra satisfaction of knowing I made this?

</rant> :P

GPS51
03-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Hmm yeah I've never bought a computer from a store. Nothing against alienware *i'm fully willing to accept gifts of such computers* but I've always built my own or had help building it. I know what's inside the box and the quality etc etc. For those who can it's a great way to go to save some cash without scrimping on quality.

Puppeteer
03-26-2010, 12:15 PM
If you want a good laptop, I recommend Acer. Good customer support and good prices.
HP customer support is dire and my hardware was faulty from the off - they acknowledged this but wouldn't replace the parts, so don't expect anything from them.

Negthareas
03-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Look, get out "Building your own Computer For Dummies" it goes through everything step-by-step, and even though it is a year old, the steps and principles it gives are still valid, and I am sure the websites the author mentions have remained uptodate.

The idea that buidling computers is a once-true, but now myth that is maintained by computer technicians because otherwise, [if everyone knew how easy it is] they would lose their jobs. Stores would be forced to lower their prices [which is bad for them - lower profit].

Henry Martin
03-26-2010, 08:32 PM
This was the first time I built my PC. It is a lot simpler then I though. The Hardest part I think is putting the CPU on the motherboard. Overall, its more time consuming then it is hard.

metman
04-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm planning on buying a new computer in the near future and I just had a few questions and was hoping you guys could help me out.

1.) Are desktops really that much better than laptops for playing games?
2.) Should I go out of my way to purchase a computer with a graphics card that supports Microsoft DirectX 11?
3.) Should I also go out of my way to purchase a computer with a graphics card that has 3D capability?

P.S. I have some more but I can't think of them now so I'll post them later.

welshie
04-12-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm planning on buying a new computer in the near future and I just had a few questions and was hoping you guys could help me out.

2.) Should I go out of my way to purchase a computer with a graphics card that supports Microsoft DirectX 11?
3.) Should I also go out of my way to purchase a computer with a graphics card that has 3D capability?

As for number 1. if you buy the same spec laptop as the desktop no, there both equal, but in a few years time when your laptop starts to get old unless ur a laptop wizz you cannot upgrade it where a desktop is so simple even a ******ed monkey can upgrade it.

As for the GFX card i would say £50 (im from uk so dont know about $ or euros) would get you a good one thats worth the dosh any more than that and your wasting your money as GFX cards get outdated fast therefor become cheaper quicker :)

Henry Martin
04-12-2010, 09:49 PM

1.Yes, desktops are better. Laptops use mobile version of desktop stuff(CPU, Video Card, Ram, etc). Those components are made weaker to save battery usage/power, so they are not as good as desktop versions. Welshie is wrong on this part.
2.I just bought a Radeon 5750(well 2 for crossfire) which supports DX11 for $150 each(don't know what that is other currency) and only a few games right now support DX11(metro 2033 of the top of my head), but the biggest thing about DX11 is tessellation(using subdivision instead of "levels of detail"). I would say go with Radeon, as the 5000 series Radeon are a little better and cheaper the Nvidia too. the new 400 series Nvidia better, but is expensive (around $400).
3. Only Nvidia supports that and I have never used it, but I heard its pretty good.

If you want something right now Radeon is more future proof for cheaper. If you want the 3d thing you have to get Nvidia.

Radeon and Nvidia are both good, but I suggest Radeon because you get more bang for your buck.

My last "suggestion" is to build you computer as you will save money and not get unwanted crap with it. You could go through companies online that do this, but I don't know how good they are.

Yeah if you have more question ask. I'm not the smartest guy(burn:p), but I do know a good amount about computers.

Puppeteer
04-13-2010, 03:06 AM
1.Yes, desktops are better. Laptops use mobile version of desktop stuff(CPU, Video Card, Ram, etc). Those components are made weaker to save battery usage/power, so they are not as good as desktop versions. Welshie is wrong on this part.
I'm afraid you're stuck in the nineties - what little difference there are between laptop and desktops are so negligible that you wouldn't notice it. Laptops are fine - in the past four years I've only ever had laptops. They've come on leaps and bounds recently - you know that they'll usurp desktops as the computers of choice in the near future? The only issue is cooling - they have less room for fans.

Henry Martin
04-13-2010, 05:41 AM
I'm afraid you're stuck in the nineties - what little difference there are between laptop and desktops are so negligible that you wouldn't notice it. Laptops are fine - in the past four years I've only ever had laptops. They've come on leaps and bounds recently - you know that they'll usurp desktops as the computers of choice in the near future? The only issue is cooling - they have less room for fans.

Yes you are somewhat right, but Laptops still use mobile versions of the their desktop counterparts which are still tone down to "SAVE POWER "on laptops(most desktop GPUs, CPUs are top powerful and us too much energy to run on batteries). This is still true today. The gap between the two is shrinking, but they are not there yet.

I got my laptop in 2008 and its parts specs and performance are less then there desktop versions.

nickson104
04-13-2010, 05:49 AM
They've come on leaps and bounds recently - you know that they'll usurp desktops as the computers of choice in the near future? The only issue is cooling - they have less room for fans.

Yet you still cant customise them yourselves, once a part of a laptop dies you cant simply replace that part, you need a whole new laptop generally, whereas on a desktop you simply need to buy that specific part... Correct me if I am wrong, please tell me I am wrong and laptops now have that ability?

And yes, cooling is indeed an issue... You would be astonished by the statistics for burn cases with laptops, not serious of course

otomotopia
04-13-2010, 06:41 AM

I really don't believe or agree with that for a second. Laptops are more mobile, yes, but the amount of juice they can put out just isn't enough to handle top-line equipment, and price is always an issue for high end laptop parts. You simply can't fit the same power and keep it cool in a laptop then in a desktop for the same price or peace of mind. Not to mention that desktops are much easier to change parts in.

If you're looking for a serious buy for at home work or gaming, a desktop is the way to go.

To add to this disccusion: 1.) Are desktops really that much better than laptops for playing games?

1)Yes.
2)No. There was no real difference between DX10 and DX9 for several years, and D11 will take some time to advance. Dx10 will keep you set for 3 years.
3)No. Its too expensive for the actual power you can get. For now, 3d won't be used for about two years due to the way that the development cycle works. Its new technology, which means its expensive and not used. Wait until its really used and developed before upgrading to that.

Gleem
04-13-2010, 06:48 AM
I'm still reading through everything.. but here.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9039649

That's a thousand dollar computer capable of running everything ever on the highest concievable settings possible. I know, because I just built it for my girlfriend. The video card can be a little better but a slight performance increase means you pay $50-$150 more. Note, I purchased a copy of Windows 7 home for 34 dollars through my school, so you don't see the price. Also, the core 5 parts cost $750, the rest is honestly extra. Because I -do- consider a monitor extra >.>

Also, don't go with Intel. I can explain the intricacies of processors and why it's inferior for gaming performance, or you can take my word. I do have a preference for AMD but I admit that i7s and whatnot are far superior to the AMD processor for almost everything but gaming.

Also, I could, again, explain the intricacies of why the ATI card is better than the Nvidia card, but, again, take my word for it.

After reading through everything I'm going to make a few additions.

"Ask anyone who's built a computer what they think of pushpins, they'll rant for an hour." He's right, they're quite evil...

Because it was brought up, yes the 400 series Nvidia cards are top notch, but considering price, not worth it. Also the difference between the 4 series and the 5 series of an ATI Radeon card is negligible, aside from it being redesigned for DX11, which is used by a handful of games at best. The 4 series is cheaper, and has the exact same performance on 99% of games. Also, ATI fails at crossfire, no offense Krabs. If you're planning on having multiple cards go Nvidia. After all, they invented the technology... (and by that I mean they bought out voodoo who actually invented it.)

Laptops are inferior to desktops, but grant mobility. I've always been able to outperform my friends on their laptops with "inferior" hardware.

A prebuilt is always inferior to a self built desktop. And in spite of what was said earlier, last -longer-. The irony is, if you can build a computer yourself you'll rebuild it in a couple of years. But I still have my original computer from 10 or so years ago up and running, and it was a bargain bin build.

To the person considering downgrading to XP from vista, you'll need less RAM, but see a decrease in gaming performance. This is due to OS architecture. Your best bet is actually to upgrade to Windows 7.

Also, one small thing. Someone said you need to buy an ethernet card when you build a computer. 99.99999% of motherboards made in the last 10 years have an integrated ethernet card, sound card too (generally) and half the time horrid, horrid integrated video cards.

And finally to szebus: The processor you bought is actually a Quad core with one of the cores locked. If you tell me your motherboard I can tell you how to unlock the 4th core.

Tech level: Very High
Field: Computer Science
Profession: Programmer

Puppeteer
04-13-2010, 08:55 AM
once a part of a laptop dies you cant simply replace that part, you need a whole new laptop generally, whereas on a desktop you simply need to buy that specific part... Correct me if I am wrong, please tell me I am wrong and laptops now have that ability?
Parts have gone on mine (thanks to HP making a whole batch faulty), and they've simply replaced them. And rejigged the solder, whilst they were at it, which was nice, though I'd never go with HP again.

Laptops are more mobile, yes, but the amount of juice they can put out just isn't enough to handle top-line equipment, and price is always an issue for high end laptop parts.
Not for one second have I said that laptops equal desktops in power but the difference has narrowed over the years completely - it used to be, 10 years ago or even sooner, that there was a vast difference in power. This is not so - naturally laptops have not developed enough to handle the 'top line equipment', but as a serious gaming machine (and at quite affordable prices - just don't go Alienware, you'd be a fool, there are great deals out there) they are completely viable and worthwhile alternatives to desktops.

Henry Martin
04-13-2010, 10:02 AM
@gleem
None taken. I do notice more problems/errors on programs with Radeon then Nvidia(graphical and crashing). I will eventually switch back to Nvidia, but the problems I had with Nvidia is it relabeling its cards.
The cards I grabbed where cheaper at the time and used less power so I went with ati.

Tech level: Mid-High
Field: Game design and Development
Profession: Student (Eventually a level designer)

otomotopia
04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Not for one second have I said that laptops equal desktops in power but the difference has narrowed over the years completely - it used to be, 10 years ago or even sooner, that there was a vast difference in power. This is not so - naturally laptops have not developed enough to handle the 'top line equipment', but as a serious gaming machine (and at quite affordable prices - just don't go Alienware, you'd be a fool, there are great deals out there) they are completely viable and worthwhile alternatives to desktops.

... But they're not an alternative or a better buy for gaming purposes, which was the actual question.

Also, "what little difference there are between laptop and desktops are so negligible that you wouldn't notice it" is absolutely implying that laptops are equal desktops in power, as the user wouldn't recognize the change. But a laptop that can equal a purpose-built tower would cost significantly more... so the user would notice the difference... in their wallet.

Negthareas
04-13-2010, 04:50 PM
True. Also, I at least could replace most tower components myself, while I would end up paying a hefty fee for parts and replacement for a busted laptop.

Puppeteer
04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
"what little difference there are between laptop and desktops are so negligible that you wouldn't notice it"
I'm comparing equivalent parts from desktops and laptops here; naturally I'm extemporizing, and there is still a difference, but there really is no reason why one shouldn't get a laptop for gaming. It's one's call - it comes more down to individual cases nowadays, rather than a general, blanket 'no'.
The downside of laptops is that one can't build your own (with ease), which is where it falls down but, if one's like me and don't build your own, then that's not a big deal.

Negthareas
04-13-2010, 04:57 PM
True. Though I know I got my laptop for classes and such - it is only a 15-inch screen. If I got a 17" one, it would be really cumbersome on my desk. Still, I am getting a new one soon. I will get a small one that is very up to date, and then get a 20" monitor to plug into it.

Gleem
04-13-2010, 08:39 PM
True. Though I know I got my laptop for classes and such - it is only a 15-inch screen. If I got a 17" one, it would be really cumbersome on my desk. Still, I am getting a new one soon. I will get a small one that is very up to date, and then get a 20" monitor to plug into it.

My roommate actually does this. He has an Asus gaming laptop and a 22" 1080 monitor. There are usually some visual hiccups though, with connecting a laptop to a screen with that high resolution.

fyro11
04-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Yep, considering the Alienware M11x ultraportable laptop. Which, incidentally, has a better GPU than Macbook Pro's latest 13-inch offering (Nvidia GeForce GT 335M vs 330M). Will connect with my 720p 26-inch TV.

Gleem
04-16-2010, 01:59 PM
If you're on this website you clearly like to play games. Why would you consider a Mac ever?

metman
04-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Just wondering will this game be playable with integrated graphics? The FAQ says the requirements there are outdated so that's why I'm asking.

Gleem
04-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Most games -can- play with an equivalent level integrated graphics card, it's just not recommended. The primary reason is integrated graphics cards don't use their own RAM, they use the system RAM. So half your RAM will be used for what it normally is, and the other half will become dedicated to the video card. Effectively cutting your RAM in half hurts game performance, especially in a RTS. They also lack the overall get up and go that full graphics cards have, as well as being made poorly.

wills370
04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Most games -can- play with an equivalent level integrated graphics card, it's just not recommended. The primary reason is integrated graphics cards don't use their own RAM, they use the system RAM. So half your RAM will be used for what it normally is, and the other half will become dedicated to the video card. Effectively cutting your RAM in half hurts game performance, especially in a RTS. They also lack the overall get up and go that full graphics cards have, as well as being made poorly.

Another disadvantage is that if you are running a heavy ram using op like vista or windows 7 then it will prioritise this further in favor of the op resulting in even less ram being dedicated to the game. One way round this is to either add many many more sticks of ram or try seperating them into a new card

Gleem
04-30-2010, 03:39 PM
That's simple to do if you have a desktop, but adding a new graphics card or sticks of ram is fairly difficult to impossible on a laptop, which is what I assume he's asking about.

Michael Mullens
05-15-2010, 05:42 AM
That's simple to do if you have a desktop, but adding a new graphics card or sticks of ram is fairly difficult to impossible on a laptop, which is what I assume he's asking about.

Ram is incredibly easy to add to a laptop. Videocards on the otherhand are not. Most mobile video is sautered onto the motherboards. On a few really expensive models come with MXM module graphics cards which are interchangeable assuming your motherboard can support the model your attempting to change too. These cards are ridiculously expensive and if you're considering mobile gaming take it from someone who has been for 3-4 years. Buy a laptop with the best single gpu (If on a budget) or SLI (If not on a budget) as the processor is a much easier upgrade.

Currently the single best mobile GPU is the ATI 5870 and comes on the Asus model sold at Best Buy for around 1200$ If you're a die hard Nvidia fan I would recommend the Geforce GTX 260 as the GTX 360 actually scores lower in most benchmarks. Yet I will say the ATI is substantially better than those 2.[EDIT] That doesn't mean those 2 are bad.. those 2 are really good also.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 07:26 AM
...I recommend not getting acer as a gaming laptop... theyre built in such a way that they tend to overheat ******edly fast. And usually the battery is built right besides the harddrive... hence meltdown... I would usually recommend something under the HP line..

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 5.9 5.5
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory: (RAM) 3.25 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Gaming graphics: 1919 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk: 105GB Free (156GB Total)
Not counting the OS and programs bought with it... it costs alil over 800$, custom built... parts ordered... some from acrossed borders... heh, its good to have friends in places.... Even got the casing free... but then again it wasnt in my the color i wanted (red).

Puppeteer
05-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Haha, I'm of the opposite inclination :p I found HP terrible, as the solder melted and overheated and they revoked the guarantee out of some selfish capriciousness, whereas my Acer is wuvwie.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Haha, I'm of the opposite inclination :p I found HP terrible, as the solder melted and overheated and they revoked the guarantee out of some selfish capriciousness, whereas my Acer is wuvwie.

odd sauce >_> the opposite happened to me but it melted the harddrive... well could have just been the dinky model i got...

Henry Martin
05-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I have an HP laptop and no problems yet(Got it for school).
specs:
Workstation
2ghz core 2 duo
2gb ram
120gb hdd
570m quadro 256mb

Puppeteer
05-18-2010, 03:18 AM
odd sauce >_> the opposite happened to me but it melted the harddrive... well could have just been the dinky model i got...

Mine also, but they acknowledged that the whole line of models had faulty parts but refused to cover it on the warranty. So then when the laptop finally goes kaput, HP does half of bugger all to fix it!

metman
06-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Hopefully this is my last question. Is it worth it to spend the extra money on a laptop with a 18.4" screen and 1920x1080 rather than a 17.3" screen and 1600x900?

Henry Martin
06-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Hopefully this is my last question. Is it worth it to spend the extra money on a laptop with a 18.4" screen and 1920x1080 rather than a 17.3" screen and 1600x900?

Depends on you really (and how much more). I would say yes if you watch a lot of movies. For gaming doesn't matter, as most likely the laptop isn't strong enough to have good FPS at 1080.

Overall if you do a lot of non-gaming stuff (movies, photo editing, video editing, etc) and its not too much extra money, then yes.

Negthareas
06-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Depends on you really (and how much more). I would say yes if you watch a lot of movies. For gaming doesn't matter, as most likely the laptop isn't strong enough to have good FPS at 1080.

Overall if you do a lot of non-gaming stuff (movies, photo editing, video editing, etc) and its not too much extra money, then yes.

I concur. I concur.

metman
06-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks I really don't use my laptop for any of those things except gaming and even if I decided to do those other things at some point I'm sure it'd be fine. I've been looking at this can you tell me if its pretty good?

Asus
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor
6GB DDR3 memory
500GB SATA (7200 rpm)
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
17.3" screen
High-definition widescreen LED-LCD (1600 x 900)

Henry Martin
06-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I'd say its great. A lot better than my laptop. With most games out their, 1600x900 is pushing it with those specs. Thats almost a mobile version of my desktop and I can barely run some games a 1080 (and settings on high-very).

I'd say go with that.

metman
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I was suprised what it gives for the price its pretty cheap compared to laptops with the same or worse parts from like hp and dell. Is that good or bad if it pushes the 1600x900?

Henry Martin
06-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Unless you are spending a good amount on a Gaming PC or laptop, playing games at the res (and good settings) with 30 FPS isn't likely (depends on the game too).

metman
06-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Well it turns out that one is out of stock.......everywhere. Anyway are you saying that getting higher system specs is bad?

Henry Martin
06-10-2010, 06:09 PM
No, I'm say 1600x900 is a better res to shoot for with those specs then 1080 (for gaming). But that sucks, what are you going to do now?

metman
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Not really sure I see some higher priced ones but they are real overkill. If you have any suggestions for some pretty good and cheap laptops please let me know.

Henry Martin
06-11-2010, 03:09 AM
What is the price of that laptop? Heres an Asus with slightly lower specs Here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220702) (the RAM can be upgraded).

LiTos456
06-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks I really don't use my laptop for any of those things except gaming and even if I decided to do those other things at some point I'm sure it'd be fine. I've been looking at this can you tell me if its pretty good?

Asus
Intel® Core™ i7-720QM processor
6GB DDR3 memory
500GB SATA (7200 rpm)
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
17.3" screen
High-definition widescreen LED-LCD (1600 x 900)

Yes, you'll have the advantage of not lagging in a battle.
Except when you're fighting me. Muhaha

metman
06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
That looks pretty good and the other one is like 1,600 U.S. dollars kind of expensive. How easy is it to upgrade the RAM manually? And by the way you're very confident aren't you litos. :)

Henry Martin
06-11-2010, 01:16 PM
That looks pretty good and the other one is like 1,600 U.S. dollars kind of expensive. How easy is it to upgrade the RAM manually? And by the way you're very confident aren't you litos. :)

Theirs a panel on the bottom that you unscrew and put your RAM in (as long as you have the right RAM), probably the easiest thing to upgrade.

Doesn't matter, I'll take both of you anytime:D.

Gleem
06-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have both the clear technical and strategical advantage here.

Also, there is no overkill in computer parts, only a window of time before an upgrade. The more you spend now the more time you can wait before you have to buy something else. So you as the consumer need to balance both cost and time until replacement.
For example:
Top of the line - Really expensive, very long time before needing replaced
Just under top of the line - a good bit less expensive, but will last almost as long
High end - a little cheaper, with a slightly shorter replacement window
Mid end - only just noticeably different in price, with a large difference in replacement time

It's a crude scale but you get the idea. Also, #1 go with Asus, #2 go with Asus, #3 go with Acer, #4 don't get a laptop...

Henry Martin
06-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have both the clear technical and strategical advantage here.

Also, there is no overkill in computer parts, only a window of time before an upgrade. The more you spend now the more time you can wait before you have to buy something else. So you as the consumer need to balance both cost and time until replacement.
For example:
Top of the line - Really expensive, very long time before needing replaced
Just under top of the line - a good bit less expensive, but will last almost as long
High end - a little cheaper, with a slightly shorter replacement window
Mid end - only just noticeably different in price, with a large difference in replacement time

It's a crude scale but you get the idea. Also, #1 go with Asus, #2 go with Asus, #3 go with Acer, #4 don't get a laptop...

Good call. Thats one reason I don't like laptops is the you basicly are stuck with what you buy and you can't replace your parts one by one. I also like the choice of 1-4:D.

Puppeteer
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Unless you're like me, and don't mind that you can't replace all the parts. It'll last at least half a dozen years (my last did). But then again I don't play that many games, and so if you intend to keep playing the best games, then you're going to have to part with a lot of cash to make it worth your while; there's no cheap option, otherwise it'll be relatively soon before you're gaming experiences start to deteriorate.

metman
06-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Sorry one last thing in response to what krabs said. Would it be bad if I got a computer with 1080 with a higher RAM and hard drive space but a little worse graphics card than the computer I originally posted.

Henry Martin
06-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Sorry one last thing in response to what krabs said. Would it be bad if I got a computer with 1080 with a higher RAM and hard drive space but a little worse graphics card than the computer I originally posted.

For gaming its better to have a better graphics with higher resolution then to have more RAM. Your Video cards RAM helps more with higher resolution. 4-6 gb of RAM is fine and Like I said you can upgrade your RAM and your hdd, but you can't upgrade you graphics card.

metman
06-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Well I just realized its actually the same 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5870.

Henry Martin
06-11-2010, 06:29 PM
That card should be just fine. If you have any more question ask. I'll and Gleem hopefully as he seems to have more knowledge then me:D.

metman
06-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Well thanks to both of you I think I'll be fine now.

Gleem
06-12-2010, 06:32 AM
That card should be just fine. If you have any more question ask. I'll and Gleem hopefully as he seems to have more knowledge then me:D.

Been building computers for over 10 years. I'm also a programmer. I know a few things =D

Michael Mullens
06-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm pretty certain DoF will at least require a mid-range video card due to the number of units a nation can obtain and then rendering the animations of all the units, the environments of 2 forces during sieges. I'd never recommend aiming for the minimum, just upgrade your PC, it will thank you :D

Henry Martin
06-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Been building computers for over 10 years. I'm also a programmer. I know a few things =D

I been learning about computers by myself for about 5, but I mention earlier that my new desktop was the first one I built (It was a lot easier then I thought). As a PC gamer you should new a good amount about computers, especially about the hardware.

Josh Warner
06-12-2010, 11:30 PM
any lower than 7 series for nvidia is asking for real problems with graphics card. Most dual cores should be fine as well. Merely observations from my end as a user so far with various systems, not actual system reqs or anything. You won't need to spend an arm and a leg to upgrade to meet this game's requirements if you need to upgrade at all is pretty safe to say.

Gleem
06-13-2010, 12:05 AM
That's why I always say build a desktop for gaming, and have a general purpose laptop. It's always considerably cheaper to make a desktop than buy one. So a top of the line rig can be built from the ground up (including a good monitor) for about a thousand. You also get better quality parts in general than what a desktop or laptop manufacturer will give you.

sneaky_squirrel
06-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Is having 1GB RAM going to be much of a problem?, I am afraid my computer will not be upgraded for a while.

Gleem
06-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Is having 1GB RAM going to be much of a problem?, I am afraid my computer will not be upgraded for a while.

I can't say I know the system requirements, but yes, it will. RTS games are always RAM intensive because of all the individual units, so you'll need more RAM.

Aametherar
06-13-2010, 10:50 AM
hmm, you could always buy a few gigs of cheap ram for like $20 if you're desperate for a temporary solution til you get a new PC.

Henry Martin
06-13-2010, 11:04 AM

I'm goin to say yes. At the very min you should have 2gb RAM. If you are using vista or windows 7 the min should be 4gb RAM. Like Aametherar said you could get very cheap RAM for a temp solution.

Puppeteer
06-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Don't feel compelled to get a new computer because people say you should - it'll cost hundreds/a thousand or so, which not everyone can afford ;) But as Aametherar says, RAM can be found quite cheap so shop around and it'll improve your experience vastly.
Are your processor and graphics card a bit outdated now, too?

sneaky_squirrel
06-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Nope, my gra[hics cards is pretty good (Upgraded a couple years ago), RAM is the only weak spot on my computer (Also the most expensive computer part I have seen, 200 dollars for 2 GB is just cruel).

GPS51
06-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Where are you shopping? I would think 2GB for 20~40 USD.

Edit: Having checked my favorite nearby computer store (not necessarily the cheapest) it's looking like 60 for 2GB DDR 2 or 3

Henry Martin
06-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah 200 USD for one 4gb stick (realy good one). 2gb should be no more than around 60-70 USD

Josh Warner
06-13-2010, 06:35 PM
You do know you don't need high end DDR3, I'm still using DDR2 currently and run the game fine even. RAM is honestly the cheapest part to upgrade. One thing I will suggest - only use one type of RAM, mixing and matching can cause problems. Anyway, as was said a good stick of RAM should NOT cost $100.

Henry Martin
06-13-2010, 07:20 PM
You do know you don't need high end DDR3, I'm still using DDR2 currently and run the game fine even. RAM is honestly the cheapest part to upgrade. One thing I will suggest - only use one type of RAM, mixing and matching can cause problems. Anyway, as was said a good stick of RAM should NOT cost $100.

Yeah, I believe that you will only get a big boost in ddr3 is with the 'i' series of intel CPUs (don't know about AMD). Otherwise ddr2 is just fine.

Aametherar
06-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Shop online for RAM btw, always online for RAM, computer stores simply will not sell the lower end ram and have HUGE markups on the RAM they do sell. I seem to remember getting 2 gigs for $10 a while back, sounds like a joke but it ran newer games perfectly fine. In my search Newegg had some of the best deals on RAM, plus it's nice to have reviews. It has a nice sorting feature as well to find your price range.

Henry Martin
06-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Shop online for RAM btw, always online for RAM, computer stores simply will not sell the lower end ram and have HUGE markups on the RAM they do sell. I seem to remember getting 2 gigs for $10 a while back, sounds like a joke but it ran newer games perfectly fine. In my search Newegg had some of the best deals on RAM, plus it's nice to have reviews. It has a nice sorting feature as well to find your price range.

I would say overall yes, but it doesn't hurt as you might get lucky. The RAM I got is the same price on newegg as the store I bought it from, Micro Center (its a really good computer store for those that never heard of it).

Gleem
06-14-2010, 01:43 AM
Krabs you're not entirely right on when you'd see a difference in RAM performance. Based on what RAM does your not really going to see a difference when it comes to gaming regardless of your processor. You would however see a difference in speed in say a console. Because of the vast amount of RAM a standard dated computer holds gaming companies aren't worried about filling the RAM. Because of this typically you load large areas/number of objects into your RAM at once. So initial loading would indeed speed up a bit with faster RAM, but game performance wouldn't really see a change.

When it comes to consoles, which have always been limited to a small amount of RAM, the RAM is incredibly fast. Because of this you actually load very small segments at a time. The extremely fast RAM allows this loading to be done seamlessly, so it appears to run like a standard PC.

In terms of your new RAM if you're looking, why not post what type of RAM you need, (Desktop, laptop, DDR2/3 what have you.) With this info we can quickly give you a good place and price estimate for your RAM. (That obviously isn't directed at Krabs =P )

Henry Martin
06-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Krabs you're not entirely right on when you'd see a difference in RAM performance. Based on what RAM does your not really going to see a difference when it comes to gaming regardless of your processor. You would however see a difference in speed in say a console. Because of the vast amount of RAM a standard dated computer holds gaming companies aren't worried about filling the RAM. Because of this typically you load large areas/number of objects into your RAM at once. So initial loading would indeed speed up a bit with faster RAM, but game performance wouldn't really see a change.

When it comes to consoles, which have always been limited to a small amount of RAM, the RAM is incredibly fast. Because of this you actually load very small segments at a time. The extremely fast RAM allows this loading to be done seamlessly, so it appears to run like a standard PC.

In terms of your new RAM if you're looking, why not post what type of RAM you need, (Desktop, laptop, DDR2/3 what have you.) With this info we can quickly give you a good place and price estimate for your RAM. (That obviously isn't directed at Krabs =P )

Lol. I guess I learned something today. I'll going back to studying:).

Puppeteer
06-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Good old Gleem, glad you're here.

This is the best way to buy cheap RAM, however if you don't want to do it online (either lack of credit card/pay pal, don't trust online sources) then look for the more obscure computer shops - like the ones in industrial estates, which don't focus on games and accessories like the big companies do, but individual hardware. Their markup is a lot smaller - RL Supplies, what would I do without you!

sneaky_squirrel
06-14-2010, 08:47 AM
2GB for 10 dollars?, my....things have changed in the last few months.

Maybe I'll check newegg again sometime (That is where I got my new video card).

Gleem
06-14-2010, 11:11 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

That's my RAM, DDR3 1600 4 gigs (2X2) 110$ US.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134009

Some cheap, solid RAM, DDR2 800 1 gig stick 23$ US.

You can get just one, or as many as your motherboard can hold.

metman
06-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Ok this is my last little post for this thread I just want to make sure for the final time this is going to run well and last for a decent amount of time. Its an Asus and costs $1,199 excluding tax. The specifications can be seen here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/9741729.p?id=1218165344675&skuId=9741729 Let me know what you think.

Henry Martin
06-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Ok this is my last little post for this thread I just want to make sure for the final time this is going to run well and last for a decent amount of time. Its an Asus and costs $1,199 excluding tax. The specifications can be seen here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+/+17.3%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/9741729.p?id=1218165344675&skuId=9741729 Let me know what you think.

Lol sure it is:p. Its not the prettiest laptop I've seen, but the spec are good. You should be able to play DOF and a good amount of other games. I say get it. You should be able to use it for abit, but you never know what the future will bring.

metman
06-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Ok that's all I needed to know. I really only use my computer to play strategy games like the total war series. I'm kind of hoping this one will be able to run them and future games on pretty high settings.

zach12wqasxz
06-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Ok that's all I needed to know. I really only use my computer to play strategy games like the total war series. I'm kind of hoping this one will be able to run them and future games on pretty high settings.

6 gigs of ram, ati 5870 gpx card, and an i7 cpu, you wont have any trouble running pretty much most of todays games with maxed graphics. the only thing is that your laptops gonna heat up real hot real quick, dont know if u care about that or not, but i play games alot with my laptop sitting on my lap, so ya....

also id say that laptop will last you about 2-3 years, depending on how you treat it

Puppeteer
06-27-2010, 05:21 AM
the only thing is that your laptops gonna heat up real hot real quick, dont know if u care about that or not, but i play games alot with my laptop sitting on my lap, so ya....
That's because of the folds in your clothing which reduces the air flow, the dust clogging vents and the softness which moulds to the laptop - ideally, place a book or something (you can pay for one of those redundant laptop coolers but hey: a fool and his money are soon parted...) hard and flat beneath it. I used to use a book, but I now use my lap because my laptop doesn't overheat easily/at all yet.
Also, that is a very good laptop - even the harddrive will be fast (SATA is better than mine by quite a way).

Aametherar
06-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Cooling pads are cheap, and they do help prevent that heat buildup on the exit area, wouldn't recommend anything more than a book, or even a lap for a non gamer though :P..oh except the whole radiation in your groin area thing.

metman
06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Ok I think I'm going to get my new laptop in the near future except with a 1920x1080 screen resolution I just wanted to make sure a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5870 so I don't make any mistakes. Sorry about all the questions I just want to make sure I don't get the wrong thing.

Gleem
06-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Hey, questions are how we learn. And you weren't like some people I've tried to help in the past with computer stuff. Sometimes people are jerks to other people trying to help them.

Henry Martin
06-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Hey, questions are how we learn. And you weren't like some people I've tried to help in the past with computer stuff. Sometimes people are jerks to other people trying to help them.

I definitely agree. I mostly don't like to help with PCs. If they aren't ass about, they are so scared of computers that they don't really listen to you. You (well from my experience) get frustrated with them and they think you are being an ass.:(

Stupid people.:)

krgwynne
07-07-2010, 08:28 PM

alien ware arnot the same company they were a few years ago dell bough them out and now they suck lol. build ya own :) if you cant buy one but know they arnot excellent anymore only good.

Henry Martin
07-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Ok I have a problem with my laptop. My laptop froze about an hour ago, so I did a hard shut off. When I tried to turn it on agian, the power light came on, but the screen did not. Also my disc drive buzzes every few secconds.

I was thinking that my motherboard went, but I'm not sure. I'm going to take it in tomorrow to see whats up, but I was asking to see if anyone knew something. I'm hoping my hard drive didn't go. If it did I lost a lot of work.

zach12wqasxz
07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Ok I have a problem with my laptop. My laptop froze about an hour ago, so I did a hard shut off. When I tried to turn it on agian, the power light came on, but the screen did not. Also my disc drive buzzes every few secconds.

I was thinking that my motherboard went, but I'm not sure. I'm going to take it in tomorrow to see whats up, but I was asking to see if anyone knew something. I'm hoping my hard drive didn't go. If it did I lost a lot of work.

i had that exact same thing happen to my computer, what i wound up doing was leaving it turned off for a while, came back later, turned it back on, and it was fine, some buzzing sounds, but they went away after i shut it down and left it for a while the first time. so yea, if that doesn't work just take a hammer to it and buy a new one lol

xmomochan
07-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know if they are going to release this game for Mac?

Henry Martin
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Does anyone know if they are going to release this game for Mac?

probably not.

Jergan
07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Does anyone know if the game will be sold through steam or direct download?

Silent_Lamb
07-16-2010, 01:16 PM

I'd like to know this as well.

Miclee
07-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Nothing official yet, but I'd say that it will in one way or another.

jimjenkins69
08-03-2010, 04:32 PM

I cannot see why not, its a more economical way to reach a far wider group of people in the world. Every game I can think of that has come out recently has the option for directdownload/steam. It would only make sense to have that option also.

Gruber12
08-10-2010, 11:44 PM
My comp plays DOW2 fine so iam guessing mine might be able to play DOF :rolleyes:

Josh Warner
08-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I cannot see why not, its a more economical way to reach a far wider group of people in the world. Every game I can think of that has come out recently has the option for directdownload/steam. It would only make sense to have that option also.

None of you or myself work as/with a publishing company, they're the ones that decide this sort of thing usually. As for steam from developers standpoint - almost like another operating system though not quite as complex you have to change the way you do some things to make it work with steam, and any steam+game problems we have to fix out of dev time.

Steam is good, but it's not right for every company. Not everything is as cut and dry as it seems looking from the outside in, plenty of my preconceptions about the industry were completely false and I only know because I work with RWS now.

That said I know we'd want some sort of downloaded version available, be it steam, our own, direct2drive or Other. I can't promise it, but we'd like to if possible.

tivin123
02-26-2011, 09:42 AM
i've got computer for 2k$ so i dont matter abouts req ;]

darthplagued
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I really hope my pc can run this game though, I'm due for a new video card sadly still hope it will run it though.

willyneo
03-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Wow some of these prices are insane...
I spent like $1200 total to make mine, and I thought it was decent.
I7 920
12GB Tripple channeled ram
ATI 4870
1TB 7200 RPM HD
Just added a 60gb Vertex 2 SSD (Not included in the price but it was $110)

This computer so far runs everything I play.
Think the ssd was the biggest pain tbh but only because I forget to buy a sata cable XD. Ended up slipping in some mud before I got into the store. One of those days you'll never forget.

Dawiichan
03-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Most games can run off a simple $700 rig. If you go past that its usually just for maxing the game out or multiboxing(for gaming that is).

mafrabr
03-11-2011, 04:25 PM
how about the HD?

Jyre
03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I could run the game and probably will need to increase fan speed (which is terrible.. but) but seriously, I think I'll upgrade my video card sometime later this year.. for sure.

Zardoz02
03-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow, my PC is barely squeakin' by on the requirements these days. Luckily I built it high-end a few years ago, and it still does fine. Hmm, maybe next year I will build a new PC. Just have to fool the wife into thinking i NEED it...

VenSen
03-20-2011, 09:51 AM
well you can get a good pc for 600 too 700 $ but you will have to get new stuff like every year to be up to date and to play all new games with good graphic settings and stuff

Nojo
03-21-2011, 10:51 AM
6 gigs of ram enough?

Chronic24
03-28-2011, 12:07 PM
yes always laugh at the people who over paid for a pc simply because its a fancy brand name when they coulda built one just as fast if not faster for alot less

willyneo
03-28-2011, 12:30 PM
It's hard to stop yourself sometimes from building a new rig. But when you see a new core out like sandybridge your like I need one. After seeing that overclocked i5 2500k to 5.0 on air cooling stable. I was like I really want one. But I don't need it. So hard to stop yourself when you really want something though.

Hellaciouss
03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
These aren't too bad of specs.

Ruffy
04-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7®
2.4 GHz Intel® Core 2® Duo or AMD processor
2 GB RAM (XP), 3 GB RAM (Vista)
4x CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive
1 GB of free Harddisk space
nVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI® 1950 512MB memory
DirectX 9.0 Compatible Sound Card

Very nice, no low.. not high!

High res. incomming =)

Andrei3185
04-06-2011, 05:54 AM
Can somebody reply and tell me if my computer can run the game

My PC specs

3 GB of Ram
3.0 GHZ intel pentium 4
512 MB video card I dont know the name exactly
Windows XP

Tyfighter
04-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I had heard from some friends that people were experiencing some serious lag in BETA despite having fairly good computers, any truth to this?

Narfz.de
04-07-2011, 12:30 PM
My hole world collapsed today :eek: :cool:

tex93lo
04-13-2011, 06:14 AM
my pc is very power and i play on max