PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions & Requests

Andarne
04-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Hey there, Devs!

This here is the updated list of fixes, plus my personal opinions on the current DoF product. I've been playing it for a few days and a couple of hours now, as well as with a friend.

Please keep in mind that I fully understand that this game is worked on by a small dev team, and thus we can't expect a masterpiece straight off the shelf, but with a little hope, you'll take my suggestions onboard and we can see them in the future.

Gameplay
First off on this list is gameplay tweaks and fixes.

View Controls
First-person viewpoint for Heroes.
Building Interiors
Camera Tooltips

Hero Customization
Appearance
Name
Biography
Voice
Weaponry

Click-and-drag Formations
Example (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi2jwIZcwgI)

Animations
Animations are a key component in a game like this, especially if you can zoom into a closer view with your units. They, most importantly, let us know that our units are alive. Besides that, they give them character and are pleasing to watch.

Clipping
Units avoid each-other
Array of animations per-task
Animation pathing (no clockwork 'snap to')
Hero-proximity animations (salute)
Arrows persist in-world

Textures
I completely understand the need for units to have limited quality on an RTS; in Battle for Middle-earth, and it's successor, even high-end PC's would begin to lose FPS when too many units were present. That said, the Medieval series has managed to include both high-resolution terrain/objects, as well as units, in a lag-free environment.

Updated textures per-unit
Low, Medium, High resolution textures
3D portrait revamp

Sounds
The vanilla sounds that came with DoF have amazed me to no end; there are some slight 'imperfections', but I can't really pick away at them without giving insult to the fine folks that made the game.

Menu sounds
Per-squad voices
Tooltip vocalization
Quest vocalization
Footsteps/marching
Additional sound options

Brian Shingles
04-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Some of these things would take some time - like unit animations - but other simpler ideas - like button click sounds - should make it into the game in the near future.

As time goes on, we hope to add more and more improvements, and we'll use suggestions like these as a guide to where we should focus our efforts.

Andarne
04-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Some of these things would take some time - like unit animations - but other simpler ideas - like button click sounds - should make it into the game in the near future.

As time goes on, we hope to add more and more improvements, and we'll use suggestions like these as a guide to where we should focus our efforts.

Hey there, Brian! Thanks for the super-quick reply. Loving the amount of response that we're getting from the team; really shows you care for your community!

Furthermore, I'm glad to see that you've taken them aboard. I'll be updating this thread with some more ideas as I play the game myself, and with friends.

firefoot87
04-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Hero Proximity Animations. HAHAHA I LOVE IT!! That would be awesome! Lot of great ideas there.