PDA

View Full Version : question for the devs

raving
06-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Im just curious atm, but how many people do you have working on this game atm? i just want to get a picture of how many people you need for 1 game.

szebus
06-13-2009, 03:39 PM
In that case, I am courious how mutch money should I win on lottery to create a game ?

Alex Walz
06-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Games take time, talent, and dedication, not money. Money helps with marketing of course, but it's not a necessity for development. Most of the work on DoF was done before Reverie received some funding and could begin paying its staff and 0 AD (http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/) is a just as magnificent and ambitious RTS that's done with zero funds at all, save the little bit here and there that they get from donations and use for site hosting.

I think Reverie probably has two or three dozen employees. Not counting the testers and marketing staff, that's a good number for a game. Bigger studios that are rolling in dough, like Blizzard, have much more employees. I believe their WoW department has somewhere near 200 employees and 100 each for their Diablo and SC2 departments.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Now that that's said and done, it really shows how hard the road for this game has been since its been in production for 5+ years and why we shouldn't complain when there are delays. :mad: Lol, just kidding.

Alex Walz
06-13-2009, 06:06 PM
since its been in production for 5+ years
8+ years. ;) 9 by the time of release.

LiTos456
06-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Lol when this game comes out we'll be old men with beards living in a post apocalyptic future. xD just kidding

Liljagare
06-14-2009, 05:03 AM
Dang, I'll be getting my game finished when I in the retirement home... :D

nickson104
06-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Lol when this game comes out we'll be old men with beards living in a post apocalyptic future. xD just kidding

Indeed :)

Dang, I'll be getting my game finished when I in the retirement home... :D

Wow thats awesome... I didnt know there would be retirement homes after the apocalypse!!! :p

The_Biz
06-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Games take time, talent, and dedication, not money. Money helps with marketing of course, but it's not a necessity for development. Most of the work on DoF was done before Reverie received some funding and could begin paying its staff and 0 AD (http://wildfiregames.com/0ad/) is a just as magnificent and ambitious RTS that's done with zero funds at all, save the little bit here and there that they get from donations and use for site hosting.

I think Reverie probably has two or three dozen employees. Not counting the testers and marketing staff, that's a good number for a game. Bigger studios that are rolling in dough, like Blizzard, have much more employees. I believe their WoW department has somewhere near 200 employees and 100 each for their Diablo and SC2 departments.

i thought blizzard had thousands of employees

szebus
06-15-2009, 03:35 AM
It may have thousands with all the personals.

Alex Walz
06-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Those numbers were from back when Diablo III was announced, so they may be significantly higher now. And I'm sure Blizz does have thousands of employees. Though most are marketing, human resources, finance, customer service, or operations rather than developers. And another chunk is working on the two unannounced titles.