PDA

View Full Version : Humans

Kire
06-06-2009, 08:57 AM
I think humans should get more fantasy look (their armor) not some boring medievalish, would also make them more popular (at least i would decide to try them =)). You ppl like their armor?

nickson104
06-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I think humans should get more fantasy look (their armor) not some boring medievalish, would also make them more popular (at least i would decide to try them =)). You ppl like their armor?

In pretty much all fantasies the men are medieval in style... And yeah I do like their armour, Medieval humans are cool and that is why most fantasies use them... That and the fact that once you take that away from them what will you give them that still keeps them as humans, makes them different from the other races and doesnt make them overpowered... :p

szebus
06-06-2009, 09:36 AM
... Medieval humans are cool and that is why most fantasies use them...

Agree.

... and the fact that once you take that away from them what will you give them that still keeps them as humans ...

True, true ... they can not look like some grunts from starcraft if they are some human soldiers, in an era whith medieval fantasy.

Puppeteer
06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I prefer the medieval appeal. Making the race more fantastical and magical takes away the idea that they are the more 'traditional' faction, one with varying strategies and a good balance overall of strengths and weaknesses.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-06-2009, 01:53 PM
That's the reason I like Men in general for their buildings as well as their units. Except for the magic units, I like knowing that all of that was real in medieval times.

Esculas the Mighty
06-06-2009, 02:30 PM
eh antiquity humans are way cooler

Kire
06-06-2009, 04:58 PM
ok ok one more....... if it does have to be medievalish try to do something like human swordsman in warcraft 3 cinematic, he has cool armor and medievalish (i dont say copy paste, just do something more interesting than its now =) use some imagination ....... it is fantasy game).

edit: i love those armor look from warcraft 3 that i would die to have them =P (again i am not saying copypaste ... but if there would/could be some mod to change their skin..... =).

Kell Aset
06-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Well I can say that use of more extravagant Medieval armors/helmets can't hurt their style, I mean humans of course.

szebus
06-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Those human soldiers who has grate lvl ups should have more extravagant armour.

Kell Aset
06-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey that is not bad idea :) .

Joseph Visscher
06-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Why would a level 1 human swordsman have 'Gold Trimmed Cast Mithril Plasmi Super Armor?....... Thats left for the ranked up level 350 Swordsman Battalion behind him yea know!? :p

Yea you can upgrade most units that get some visual upgrades. I do however want to see way more armor visual upgrades, but we are worried about system resources going to process these new textures. Unless ofcourse everyone buying the game has a 1024MB video card. :D

Kire
06-08-2009, 07:50 AM
wow nice ... have any pictures of them yet ?=P

fyro11
06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Why would a level 1 human swordsman have 'Gold Trimmed Cast Mithril Plasmi Super Armor?....... Thats left for the ranked up level 350 Swordsman Battalion behind him yea know!? :p

Yea you can upgrade most units that get some visual upgrades. I do however want to see way more armor visual upgrades, but we are worried about system resources going to process these new textures. Unless ofcourse everyone buying the game has a 1024MB video card. :D
Tbh, 1GB cards cost as cheap as £40 here, which is around $60-70, which isn't much for a 1GB gfx card.

szebus
06-09-2009, 03:45 AM
Tbh, 1GB cards cost as cheap as £40 here, which is around $60-70, which isn't much for a 1GB gfx card.

This is going offtopic, but what I do with a laptop then ? You need to think that some dose not have acces or money to trow for some ubgradable parts. :(

Kire
06-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Even to this all i think human soldiers should get some hotfixes with their look tho they already have some kind small representation from all 3 sects =). I dont like to only fight elves and some orcs =P, if the sect are going be also same rase ingame ofc.

Aametherar
06-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I do however want to see way more armor visual upgrades, but we are worried about system resources going to process these new textures. Unless ofcourse everyone buying the game has a 1024MB video card. :D

Make a graphics setting that limits textures based on the settings, if it passes x number it shows the generic non name brand swordsmen instead of the hoard of unique uber swordsmen. Probably easier said then done, but it makes sense from my perspective. A self adjusting setting like that to unload and keep too many resources from being loaded at once would be awesome, as long as it had broad enough limits to prevent things like flashing units.

zach12wqasxz
06-27-2009, 07:50 PM
i think if you gave humans different more fantasy style armour then i think they would look to much like the elves race

Kire
06-27-2009, 09:11 PM
i think if you gave humans different more fantasy style armour then i think they would look to much like the elves race

More plate .. tho elves dont have it =P ... as i seen the pictures

Darathor
08-08-2009, 05:57 PM
I like the human's look right now, though I haven't seen any screenshots with them having upgraded armor. They probably look totally different with upgrades.

OrcSlayer
08-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Humans are weak and deserve to be trampled under the unicorns hooves
I remember seeing a screenie of orcs with upgrading armour

MrBlack103
08-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm completely happy with the humans the way they are now. I like mediaeval stuff in fantasy universes. They look like they have a very structured military this way.

Irsig
08-09-2009, 11:29 PM
hi to all, is was a long time that i post something here, but well back on topic use for example the imperium of man in warhammer fantasy have a mix of medieval with the age of gunpower (sorry i forgot the name in english of that period)
actually the style use is more medieval and look very cool but is not possible take more ideas for acient medieval armor maybe of the teutonic order or of sacred roman empire???

Tbeaz161
08-10-2009, 09:10 PM
The Humans could be made to look more Gothic or some type of medieval stlye people dont see very often so that they look diffrent but you can still identify them as humans.

Darathor
08-10-2009, 10:15 PM
They should go for more of a medieval European or crusader look with a little innovating to make it look unique and refreshing.

Supreme
08-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Yes the medieval crusader look would be best. Thats when they can be most compared to fantasy races.

I can already envision my lance-knights killing off the big creatures, the (sword)knights killing some footmen. The archers crippling of immidiately after while my knights make way for a second charge to be followed up by a big charge of my own footmen. Onward soldiers. :p

Maybe make a trailer of a battle involving something like that..depending on whats a possible tactic of course.

szebus
08-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Hmmm... what would be really cool if human soldiers could have some dirty robes, armor, clothes on them at least at the beginning and after they gain lvl, they can have shinier armors.

Soldiers like shown on the following pictures:

http://help.xs-software.com/helpimages/kw/Nation9.jpg

http://www.traditioninaction.org/SOD/SODimages/025TeutonicKnights.jpg

http://help.xs-software.com/helpimages/kw/Nation6.jpg

http://www.pvkii.com/aprilupdate/huscarl_concept.jpg

Housecarls were household troops, personal warriors and equivalent to a bodyguard to Scandinavian lords and kings. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housecarl)

Darathor
08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I doubt they'll look like Norwegian or Spanish troops. Games normally go a middle European look for humans.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-12-2009, 07:14 PM
It would be interesting, though, if the higher the class of soldier, the more important (or less dirty) they would look.

zach12wqasxz
08-12-2009, 11:16 PM
i think no matter what that back in those days that if u were a soldier your probably always going to be prety dirty, they idnt really have good hygene habits back then

szebus
08-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Yes, but for games it would be interesting to define the ranks by dirt. :cool:

Esculas the Mighty
08-13-2009, 08:50 PM
I doubt they'll look like Norwegian or Spanish troops. Games normally go a middle European look for humans.

im extremely tired of medieval Europeans....

Esculas the Mighty
08-13-2009, 10:30 PM
i think no matter what that back in those days that if u were a soldier your probably always going to be prety dirty, they idnt really have good hygene habits back then

spartans died looking good haha

Irsig
08-15-2009, 12:48 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1/101175-King_Teutonic1_super.jpg

something like this could be for the knights, about the units style i don know too much about what type of armor use every country, but the units for me have a french - english style in his troops

Puppeteer
08-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Those helmet ornaments are absolutely ridiculous; as if that were practical.

szebus
08-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Better this one:

http://nursery-store.com/products/SCHL70024.jpg

http://nursery-store.com/products/SCHL70023.jpg

or stronghold style... pictures are on heavengames (http://stronghold.heavengames.com/gallery/bigshots)

Edit of edit: I had to edit this post due to the links of pictures.

Darathor
08-23-2009, 01:11 PM
The first guy looks like the swordsman from Civ 4, and I can't see the last three pictures.

Samund
08-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Could we have a link to posts within the last 24 hrs. or recent posts? This is useful in finding the active discussions.
Cheers

szebus
08-26-2009, 11:48 AM
The first guy looks like the swordsman from Civ 4, and I can't see the last three pictures.

Now it is deleted, but it was a picture from civ4. :D

Puppeteer
08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Could we have a link to posts within the last 24 hrs. or recent posts? This is useful in finding the active discussions.
Cheers

New Posts (http://reverieworld.com/forums/search.php?searchid=6726), found at the top of the page, between 'Search' and 'Mark Forums Read'.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Better this one:

http://nursery-store.com/products/SCHL70024.jpg

http://nursery-store.com/products/SCHL70023.jpg

or stronghold style... pictures are on heavengames (http://stronghold.heavengames.com/gallery/bigshots)

Edit of edit: I had to edit this post due to the links of pictures.

Those are Schleich toy soldiers if I'm not mistaken? Those do look better, though.

MrBlack103
08-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I'd actually prefer the humans to stay as they are. I don't know why, but they seem to give off Roman vibes. I'm reminded of strict, well-organised formations and discipline.

The Witch King of Angmar
08-26-2009, 05:40 PM
I would just like to see a bit of diversity in the units, not so rag-taggish as the Orcs, but not all cloned units either.

Winterwolf00
05-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Heres a suggestion. What if we could pick what the armor looks like for ourselves? Either design it ourselves or choose from a pre-selected list. We should be able to make our soldiers look how they want. Otherwise all human armies will look the same.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091225181921/dragonage/images/7/70/Heavy_plate_armor.jpg

http://kunkka.deviantart.com/art/Death-and-Chaos-53336113

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Human/Gondor/Armor/FarSide_0074_SelfFI_med.jpg

Sharku
05-09-2010, 05:11 PM
I rather like the medieval look for humans, but a Roman styled Human faction would be cool as well. Perhaps something for the modders...

Anyway, for human units is DoF going with the infantry and archers being common folk and then the knights being nobles? B/c if so that would be the distinguishing factor in armor and weapons with the nobles obviously having the better of two.

Yami-Yagari
05-09-2010, 05:18 PM
I rather like the medieval look for humans, but a Roman styled Human faction would be cool as well. Perhaps something for the modders...

Anyway, for human units is DoF going with the infantry and archers being common folk and then the knights being nobles? B/c if so that would be the distinguishing factor in armor and weapons with the nobles obviously having the better of two.

Would be nice if there were a norse human faction to, kinda like in Warhammer with the warriors of chaos. except for the deformed talons and their obsessive faith towards the chaos gods.

DarkMaster
05-10-2010, 12:21 AM
mmm... Norse would be nice:rolleyes:

I think we should be careful encouraging a mass of human races, though.

Kire
05-10-2010, 08:03 AM
I think we should be careful encouraging a mass of human races, though.

Well i dont see problem having more human rase since they can be very distinguishing from each other, but you cant say same for orcs =P and for elves maybe (more stoneish).

welshie
05-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Bringing in different types of humans, to a place where theres only 3 options to choose from? that would mean overlapping of types, im all good for different for the 3 but as they said these 3 places are all different style in warfare, seiges, ect ect... Same for the other 2 races. And i dont see why you would need completly different armour types, Ie massive (logicaly impossible) plate armour and others just get some chainmail. It should be things like standards different, painted shields with your symbol on it make them more unique to you and not where they came from :)

Edit: Whoops ment types of humans not races

Puppeteer
05-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Well, the problem is they're races. I'm all for a mod introducing subdivisions and factions within races, though!

blackfang
05-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah factions within races that fight eachother, that would be INSANELY awesome. However i like norse, and thats why i think thats the best choice. Also the elves could have high elves and the elves that are there now and demonic elves or perhaps smaller elves or more three like elves. The orcs can have black orcs red orcs and green orcs:D Thats all the difference i can contribute with:p

Yami-Yagari
05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Would be nice some diversity as in different NPC race factions, like norse or arabic.

Henry Martin
05-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Yeah that would be interesting. I would just like to see armor variation like in medieval 2 total war. Each unit type would have different combination of breast plates, helmets, greaves, and leggings to give that difference in medieval armies had with armor.

Puppeteer
05-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Imperial, Norse and Eastern - I'm liking these Human factios!

Yami-Yagari
05-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Imperial, Norse and Eastern - I'm liking these Human factios!

With eastern you mean like turkey or even further east, like mongolia? Because Mongols own a lot.

Winterwolf00
05-10-2010, 03:33 PM
With eastern you mean like turkey or even further east, like mongolia? Because Mongols own a lot.

That sounds kinda like the Khurite race in mortal online.
I don't see why we can't have factions in the races.
Elves can have high, wood, dark elves.
Humans can have norse, mongolian, roman, and whatever else youll decide.
Orcs can have...goblins and trolls maybe?

Puppeteer
05-10-2010, 03:51 PM

I meant more Middle Eastern, as this Medieval-Fantasy rôle is mostly taken from the early, European perspective (the relatively isolationist period). But you're right, Mongols could certainly be a powerful force!

Yami-Yagari
05-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I meant more Middle Eastern, as this Medieval-Fantasy rôle is mostly taken from the early, European perspective (the relatively isolationist period). But you're right, Mongols could certainly be a powerful force!

They couldn't be, the are!

After all, they've once had the largest land empire in history.

Puppeteer
05-10-2010, 04:41 PM
They are? I wasn't aware the Mongol Hordes were about to come knocking on my door
Just a sec!

But anyway, 'could' is the conditional to show that the Mongol faction is a possibility in a mod. In any case, I contest the idea that the Mongol empire represents a unified force. One could object to the portrayal of them in the imperial unity of its peoples. But that's besides the point.

Negthareas
05-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Well - basically there are only two real basic divisions - WEST [aka mediterranean] and EAST [aka asian]. All categories fall into these groupings. Asia [in this case, just china] has been around the longest, but that does not go to say that the WEST civs were inferior, etc.. The reason most of the WEST civs are similar is this: most existed immediately before the Roman Empire, during the empire, or after the Empire. There was not much long before it. The Roman Empire acted as a melting pot too these cultures until [bingo] Mediterranean [roman] culture was established as the WEST. All subsequent medieval european civs came from this [with the exception of the scandinavians - and some of the barbarians - celts, etc.]. There is a lot more variety in the EAST [asia] because there was no melting pot. Therefore, those civs tend to be viewed as more exotic.

otomotopia
05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Wold = Norse, Rollingplain = East Asian, Southmont = Anglo-Franco. Ironically, it looks like the bounuses loosly fit the individual strengths of those regions too.

welshie
05-10-2010, 10:35 PM
They couldn't be, the are!

After all, they've once had the largest land empire in history.

The owned their whole known world so for them they owned everything :O

For humans to many to choose from, Ie. britan is alot different from norway so you couldnt have a definate european mixture then you have asia with china japan mongolia india. then africa with the muslim places such as persia egypt ect ect. So picking a continent isnt a option heres a few i muscled up :)

I suspose the Anglo-frank one would be southmont purly because of the castles, but the longbows were by far the best bow around so good for wold as well. I wouldnt say anyother place has better castles than UK or france on the stragtical/defencive side of things.

Rollingplain would have to be mongols/saracian people for the mix of horses mainly with half decent infantry/archers. The mongols are too cav heavy to base the whole group on them so the saracian nations should give that mix it would need.

Wold is a hard one to pick out, as places all over the world have bits and pieces of this society. Would pick welsh longbows, with a nordic style infantry while having german infulences, would consider a northern western style european to wold not giving too much to one nation

Winterwolf00
05-10-2010, 10:40 PM
So when creating a kingdom we choose a race and then a culture? Would that work?

Henry Martin
05-10-2010, 10:55 PM
From the way it seems to be going, You'd choose the race and then the faction/culture is dependent on what lands/area you choose.

Yami-Yagari
05-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Differences between different factions/cultures aren't that great with the different areas you can select. It really boils down to that each area has it's strong and weak points and special stats.

Winterwolf00
05-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Differences between different factions/cultures aren't that great with the different areas you can select. It really boils down to that each area has it's strong and weak points and special stats.

Thats not much of a problem. Cultures ARE normally shaped by their environment anyway. We could just add more regions and add cultures to go with them (at a later date of course) . Who knows maybe we could make a chain of islands around the mainland and have a navy based culture.

Negthareas
05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
The owned their whole known world so for them they owned everything :O

For humans to many to choose from, Ie. britan is alot different from norway so you couldnt have a definate european mixture then you have asia with china japan mongolia india. then africa with the muslim places such as persia egypt ect ect. So picking a continent isnt a option heres a few i muscled up :)

I suspose the Anglo-frank one would be southmont purly because of the castles, but the longbows were by far the best bow around so good for wold as well. I wouldnt say anyother place has better castles than UK or france on the stragtical/defencive side of things.

Rollingplain would have to be mongols/saracian people for the mix of horses mainly with half decent infantry/archers. The mongols are too cav heavy to base the whole group on them so the saracian nations should give that mix it would need.

Wold is a hard one to pick out, as places all over the world have bits and pieces of this society. Would pick welsh longbows, with a nordic style infantry while having german infulences, would consider a northern western style european to wold not giving too much to one nation

I agree with you on most points, but France and England did not necessarily have the best castles. Spain and Germany also had very excellent castles, it is just that we think more of England and France becasue of the Hundred Year's War.

blackfang
05-12-2010, 10:43 AM
If we are talking medieval then i would believe the places where the great crusades take place. Around jerusalem:)

Yami-Yagari
05-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Northern Europe and Middle East had the best castles by far.

Negthareas
05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Middle East simply had the best castles because of the European Influence - mostly due to the Knights of Malta/Knights Templar too.

MikeDitka
02-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Head to toe plate armor and a big ole shield is good enough for me

GIUSEITALIA
02-17-2011, 06:32 AM
the medieval appeal is more interesting so that the difference of the races is more definite

Sarkata
02-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Haven't had a chance to really look at the armor sets, but I think keeping a traditional look for the humans would be a good idea.

cableslice
02-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Keep the armor realistic. Even though it's fantasy.

Blackmore22
02-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Humans do seem more apealing, when they are plain to be hoenst, like for instance eleves have great magic powers and there weakness is brute force, and the orcs have brute force, weakeness is magic. humans simply have no weakness or anything that will be as effective as the next thing they throw at you, To me it seems good.