PDA

View Full Version : Magic users

Kire
05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Will magic users use spells like archers arrows (aka firebolts and extra-like pasive using spells so you dont need to use them) or you will have to click on each magic user spell to cast it (like in warcraft 3, summoning water elemental, rain of fire....). I am interesting in this because if you have multiple magicusers it could be really messy and time consuming if you would have to click from all of them for specific spell to use on the battlefield and would be easier and better if you had 12 archers instead of 12 magicusers if you wont use those spells. Oh an can for an example firebolt also miss ass arrows ?

Well i just like the idea of wizards on my wall shooting down firebolts and stuff instead of archers (same as archers but different look actually and stats i guess) =), you think that will be possible?

nickson104
05-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Perhaps as a base attack they could use 'magic missiles' :) hehe they would be the same as regular arrows perhaps a bit more accurate though? :)

Darvin
05-30-2009, 05:27 PM
From what we've heard (this is based on a very old developer post, so it may have changed) magic in this game follows the motto "go big or go home". Even the smallest and weakest spells are going to be dangerous against entire armies, so chances are we won't see a piddly single-target fireball.

I think spellcasters will be more in line with the high templar of Starcraft. Wickedly powerful spells, but no basic attack so he needs to consume mana to do anything at all.

Kire
05-30-2009, 05:51 PM
From what we've heard (this is based on a very old developer post, so it may have changed) magic in this game follows the motto "go big or go home". Even the smallest and weakest spells are going to be dangerous against entire armies, so chances are we won't see a piddly single-target fireball.

I think spellcasters will be more in line with the high templar of Starcraft. Wickedly powerful spells, but no basic attack so he needs to consume mana to do anything at all.

This makes me cry =,( (yea i read that post but i wasnt 100% sure about this after reading it) ,well just hope you are wrong or i just hope they make in DoF a magic race that will have that kind of stuff. Think that would be better ?=P

nickson104
05-30-2009, 06:43 PM
This makes me cry =,( (yea i read that post but i wasnt 100% sure about this after reading it) ,well just hope you are wrong or i just hope they make in DoF a magic race that will have that kind of stuff. Think that would be better ?=P

I disagree, I personally prefer the 'Go big, or Go Home' idea :) and I am so stealing that quote! :) :p

Darvin
05-30-2009, 07:02 PM
and I am so stealing that quote!
I acquired it in much the same way :D

Anyways, I fully agree with Reverie's approach. The "magic is common, the world is fantastic" type fantasy that is characterized by D&D and the Warcraft universe seems to be dominating all fantasy presently. Very few titles are taking the approach that magic is rare, the world is (mostly...) mundane, but when magic exists it is awe-inspiring. I think DoF could be a refreshing change of pace.

Konstantin Fomenko
05-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Darwin is right - we are still not 100% sure who will be the main spell-caster unit - it`ll either be a hero wizard unit, or the main hero unit who can slowly learn all the spells - thing Gandalf from Battle for Middle Earth, but 5X the number of spells, learned as unit gains experience.

BUT - there are also the 'lite' magic wielding units who will have magic attacks - like Elven Sorcerer for example. And if you are looking for magic - Elves will be your race of choice, the use magic from gathering resources to passive base defenses.

Kire
05-31-2009, 03:54 PM
I am addictive to magic so i guess i will be playing elves 90% =P. HUnger for magic.

The Witch King of Angmar
05-31-2009, 08:56 PM
I love regular units that can use magic. Now, will the sorcerers be able to use physical attacks as well? That'd be awesome.

zhaoyun23
02-11-2011, 12:38 AM
Magic users have always suffered...well at least for me. I will not be focussing on magic. I like the brutal melee combats more :D

NobleIre
02-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I really prefer and support the whole notion of 'big, rare magic'. As well as the notion of magic-duels (counterspelling and the like) that I remember reading on one of the updates. I like the idea of marauding with a massive orc army, then my shaman unleashing a massive spell of devastation. XD I get tired of seeing mages and wizards throwing around tiny bolts of fire, i'd rather see massive earthquakes and firestorms. XD