PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision

nickson104
05-17-2009, 01:18 PM
As some of you may know or may have watched the Eurovision 2009 took place on the 16th May. Norway walked away the victors but it isnt the winning that matters... it's the taking part...

I noticed a lack of such a topic and so decided to mention it :)

I personally enjoyed it however I did not think Norway should have won, I actually wanted Azerbaijan as they had a decent song and they are new to the Eurovision and are little heard of :) it would have been... interesting?

LiTos456
05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I didnt watch all of it, only the final voting. I was sad though because the representative of my country, Ukraine, was a total ****. Last year was good, the year before that was stupid but funny (and classic), 2004 was amazing (and she won) but this time...ugh.
As for norway, I liked the song. And its a young guy, playing violin. Not some old pop ****.

nickson104
05-17-2009, 02:28 PM
I didnt watch all of it, only the final voting. I was sad though because the representative of my country, Ukraine, was a total ****. Last year was good, the year before that was stupid but funny (and classic), 2004 was amazing (and she won) but this time...ugh.
As for norway, I liked the song. And its a young guy, playing violin. Not some old pop ****.

I didnt like Ukraine this year... and if you think Verka Seduchka was funny.... god help you! ;) :p ah well :p

Britain had its best year in 7 years thanks to our representative :) but it was never going to get number one due to the downfalls of the competition, it is mainly pop that does well and they may have helped prevent country bloc's supporting each other but did not eliminate it, but bridges have been made this year, changes are occuring :)

Puppeteer
05-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I personally enjoyed it however I did not think Norway should have won, I actually wanted Azerbaijan as they had a decent song and they are new to the Eurovision and are little heard of
I disagree, I think that Norway had a great song, and I absolutely hated Azerbaijan's and Turkey's entries. Britain did smashingly well, and I really liked Iceland's entry as well.

nickson104
05-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I disagree, I think that Norway had a great song, and I absolutely hated Azerbaijan's and Turkey's entries. Britain did smashingly well, and I really liked Iceland's entry as well.

Each to their own :) I liked Iceland's too and Malta's and Portugals :) they had... style? :P XD Azerbaijan and Turkey were a bit too mainstream indeed, but for some reason I just felt this pull to Azerbaijan... :/

Neotyguy40
05-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Eurovision? What is that?

EDIT: Ohh, it's stuff about Europe... No wonder I never heard about it...

Esculas the Mighty
05-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Eurovision? What is that?

EDIT: Ohh, it's stuff about Europe... No wonder I never heard about it...

haha word European stuff

Grizzlez
05-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I was working and I missed it but I don't think I would have watched it anyway. Britain never takes it seriously, our top artists never perform so I find it boring to watch. Besides, I don't like pop and classical music much so I find it pretty boring. A competition with less mainstream music would be more appealing: garage, metal and grime would be much more interesting lol.

nickson104
05-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I was working and I missed it but I don't think I would have watched it anyway. Britain never takes it seriously, our top artists never perform so I find it boring to watch. Besides, I don't like pop and classical music much so I find it pretty boring. A competition with less mainstream music would be more appealing: garage, metal and grime would be much more interesting lol.

Indeed, but they cater for the mainstream masses... and indeed we dont pick our best talents, we never do... look on the bright side it cant get as bad as Scooch - Flying the flag.... its just not possible to get worse than that...
When Lordi won 2 years ago it was... interesting...? :p A band that wasnt mainstream won and i actually quite liked the song although they were terrible live...

LiTos456
05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Lol yeah I was so surprised. They had cool costumes though.

Neotyguy40
05-18-2009, 10:27 PM
THis sounds alot like American Idol... Except not as funny...

nickson104
05-19-2009, 12:41 AM

Except each country is represented by one act that they already have chosen, and the prize is not a recording contract but instead the prestige of hosting the contest next year... And also it is one night not many weeks...
If you want something like American Idol you could search its original 'Pop Idol' in the UK or the current 'X Factor' in the UK, and of course all countries have _____ Idol now so you could search them... ;) :P

Yeah the costumes were cool but I saw no point in them... still dont to be honest... unless of course their butt-ugly :p

Neotyguy40
05-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Don't forget Music Idol!

Music Idol tryouts are hilarious, I remember one time, a Japanese person sang a song in a different language (not Japanese), and she said it was english... Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzoP8SL-D44

nickson104
05-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Don't forget Music Idol!

Music Idol tryouts are hilarious, I remember one time, a Japanese person sang a song in a different language (not Japanese), and she said it was english... Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzoP8SL-D44

LOL :) Now that has made my night... :) hey she had the sounds kind of right.... ;) :p

Puppeteer
05-20-2009, 04:06 AM

Oh it's a hell of a lot more fun. Watching all those countries vote... far better than * Idol / XFactor.

nickson104
05-21-2009, 04:23 AM
Oh it's a hell of a lot more fun. Watching all those countries vote... far better than * Idol / XFactor.

Indeed, and the fact that each country cannot vote for itself adds a lot to the competition :) However as of late there is much doubt thrown over the system with 'Eastern Bloc voting' where it is thought that countries vote due to their relation to other countries not the song they delivered... This led to the implementation of a new rule where public voted counted towards 50% of the countries overall marks and the other 50% was given to music professionals in each country who cast their votes in the dress rehearsals...

Did you know that the country that has never won but has been in it for many years is Portugal, it has never won since it joined in the 1960s... And to be honest, U quite liked their song this year... It was nice and free and the lyrics were very nice :) hippies ftw? :p

Puppeteer
05-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Gotta love hippies. Speaking of which, my parents just forced my into yet another haircut. Grrr.
I do like the semi-pro voting now, it's broken up the Eastern Bloc (mostly, not completely).

nickson104
05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Gotta love hippies. Speaking of which, my parents just forced my into yet another haircut. Grrr.
I do like the semi-pro voting now, it's broken up the Eastern Bloc (mostly, not completely).

Well it wasnt just the Eastern Bloc, it happened everywhere really... Balkan countries, Scandinavian, Western Europe... However you may have a point, but then again... one year is not enough to tell... but it is safe to say that it may have had an effect on Norways votes? :p biggest win ever...

Kire
05-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Well it wasnt just the Eastern Bloc, it happened everywhere really... Balkan countries, Scandinavian, Western Europe... However you may have a point, but then again... one year is not enough to tell... but it is safe to say that it may have had an effect on Norways votes? :p biggest win ever...

I think it is worst now as before, till now always one of the best songs won (and only that matter, cuz only that will be remembered) but this time, Norway.... i dont say it was bad but actually rather good (i would take it to the 3rd place), but on other hand what about Malta, it was the best song from this year and last year but ended at the bottom in final ???? that is mafia =). And about judges the "profesionals" who do 50% of voting, they suck because they have their own interest and also they are giving the best point (12) to the best song that they think it is (and there is not for quality of the song but rather what they like more) and other they just distribute to the naighbours or to the countries that are political related and if they run out of ideas they just give some points to some other good songs hey like.

That is my point that this new sistem is very bad (maybe just worked for Britain =P),so Malta should won.

Puppeteer
05-30-2009, 03:40 AM
You're missing the entire point, Kire. The reverse is true, it's better than it used to be. The eastern bloc no longer always put Russia or a similar former-Soviet country at the top. It's not perfect, but it's better.

nickson104
05-30-2009, 05:34 AM
You're missing the entire point, Kire. The reverse is true, it's better than it used to be. The eastern bloc no longer always put Russia or a similar former-Soviet country at the top. It's not perfect, but it's better.

Indeed, there is no complete 'cure' to the problem as everyone will vote for who they liked, and how you like a countries performance depends how you like the country as a whole, if you are biased against them you will be biased against their song...

And yes Malta did give a good performance, but so did Sweden, Portugal, Azerbaijan, United Kingdom and many others... It is all down to personal opinion and who votes :p In the UK it is a fact that voters are predominantly women, I cant remember the statistic exatly but it is like 70% female...

Kire
05-30-2009, 08:46 AM
There is one other problem ppl.... there are Turks all over Europe and they are many ... so they will vote always for their country and thats why it will be always high, same for other countries but here is the most obvious =).

nickson104
05-30-2009, 04:01 PM
There is one other problem ppl.... there are Turks all over Europe and they are many ... so they will vote always for their country and thats why it will be always high, same for other countries but here is the most obvious =).

It is the same with most countries lol :) But most vote for countries they feel an affinity for (perhaps the have relatives there or such)
For example: Norway-Denmark-Sweden, UK-Ireland, Greece-Turkey, Eastern Bloc Countries (too many to mention :p)