PDA

View Full Version : Mouse & Keyboard Adapter for Xbox 360

Ryan Zelazny
05-15-2009, 08:21 AM
We've gotten the question a few times, "are you going to support keyboard and mouse" on the Xbox 360. The answer is no, however all hope is not lost. In my own search to be able to use a Playstation 2 style controller on my Xbox 360 (Xbox controllers suck horribly for fighting games such as Street Fighter IV and the upcoming Tekken 6) I came across this gem of a peripheral. It's made by company called XCM (http://www.xcm.cc) and it's called the XFPS 360. This peripheral allows you to use any USB mouse and keyboard on the Xbox 360 with no compatibility issues.

http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS_360.jpg
http://www.xcm.cc/XFPS%20360+keyboard+mouse.jpg

The only downside to this is that it's a fairly expensive accessory, it retails for about $65 US on a few websites and it also requires you have a wired Xbox 360 controller, this is so the unit is recognized by the console and also to program the keys and buttons on your keyboard/mouse to do the actions of the controller. So if a keyboard and mouse is really what you need to play DoF on your Xbox 360, you now are able. You can see XCM's full product description here: http://www.xcm.cc/xcm_xfps_360.htm

Colin
03-15-2010, 03:30 AM
Huy. This is really a nice and helpful gadget & i'm expecting lot more to come.

Negthareas
03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
This accessory makes a huge leap for Video consoles versus PC. Lack of Mouse/keyboard was a major limiting factor in my opinion.

Zeluk
03-15-2010, 04:37 PM
In terms of FPS's I always preferred the feel of a contoller at my fingertips. Statistically reaction times are faster as well. As far as RPG's are concerned I can play them with both mouse/keyboard and a controller but prefer contoller's from a combat perspective. When it comes to Strategy games, hands-down mouse and keyboard win everytime. There's simply far to many commands for a controller to have mapped out, and a mouse and keyboard combo doesn't have to sweat micromanagment as much.

But for the vast majority of games out there (strategy excluded), a controller works quite well. Most games don't have all that many commands that make the ease of use of a handheld controller work perfectly.

Now the reason I say all this is because I started out playing on consoles and moved my way to playing the PC. I now balance both out more or less equally, with a dozen or so years of gaming experience from both firmly under my belt. When I moved over to playing PC's the mouse and keyboard took awhile to get used to but the learning curve isn't all that bad, only when playing really weird games do I have to change up the controls to suit me. But I was startled to see the disposition that PC gamers have toward Console games and controllers in general. For the most part it seems that most hardcore PC gamers have some kind of weird phobia towards controllers. I find it odd because all it takes is the slightest hand eye coordination to learn effectively, same goes for learning the mouse and keyboard (albeit easier because of how common PC's are these days).

Again this is all from a gameplay perspective, factors like graphics and such I'm not discussing. Controller's are a simple and easy way to play games. I prefer Controllers in most games I play just not for strategy games.

This accessory makes a huge leap for Video consoles versus PC. Lack of Mouse/keyboard was a major limiting factor in my opinion.

So basically, I disagree wholeheartedly with this.

Negthareas
03-15-2010, 08:04 PM
I understand that position completely. When I first used controllers, it took me a while to get used to them. But I tend to specialize in RTS games, while playing a FPS here and there for fun. That is why I tend to lean towards keyboard and, actually, trackball.

zach12wqasxz
03-18-2010, 12:50 AM
wow this looks like an extremely useful accessory for hard core gamers, but what happens when you got people on the xbox 360 servers using keyboards? the guys with the controllers are gonna have a tough time competing IMO, and isnt that why they wouldnt join PC servers and Xbox servers into 1?

Darathor
03-18-2010, 05:22 PM
For keyboard and mouse vs. a controller, the keyboard and mouse win for me. For fps games, it is much easier to aim with the mouse and movement and other thins like that are more easily done. A good PC gamer will most likely beat a good console player on an fps if they have comparable skill and experience in the game.

For rts games, it really is a silly question as to who has the advantage. The lack of hotkeys and the ability to micro most of your units much more effectively and give better macro control definitely let's the PC dominate this genre.

Negthareas
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
For keyboard and mouse vs. a controller, the keyboard and mouse win for me. For fps games, it is much easier to aim with the mouse and movement and other thins like that are more easily done. A good PC gamer will most likely beat a good console player on an fps if they have comparable skill and experience in the game.

There are those that would argue on this point. Many people have pinpoint accuracy with controllers.

Zeluk
03-18-2010, 08:59 PM
I would, and have. Really there is no point, people are entitled to their opinions even if they are biased.

HolyPollo
03-19-2010, 06:26 AM
There are those that would argue on this point. Many people have pinpoint accuracy with controllers.

I agree. If you've been weaned on console games, you can be just as accurate with a controller as with a mouse. I think that a mouse allows you a wider range of control, especially with RTS grouping and macro but that's not to say that it's impossible to do the same with a controller. I think the real speed difference will be the obvious lack of competent RTS's on consoles. Console gamers just don't have the exposure and practice that a experienced PC gamer will have.

Puppeteer
03-19-2010, 12:20 PM
There is one thing we can all agree on, though - don't expect to play well with a touchpad! Or maybe that'll be my excuse when I'm failing, as I don't like using a mouse.

Darathor
03-19-2010, 06:28 PM
I play both console and PC fps games a lot and am good at both, so I'm not biased if that is what you mean. I just am much more able to fine tune all accuracy with my mouse much better than with a controller. This isn't saying that I can't aim with a controller or anything like that, just that I'm better with the mouse.
There is one thing we can all agree on, though - don't expect to play well with a touchpad! Or maybe that'll be my excuse when I'm failing, as I don't like using a mouse.

Actually, a new rts game, R.U.S.E., is coming out that supports multi-touch monitors for windows 7. I don't quite know how good it is, but there are games that go for touch screens on PCs.

Zeluk
03-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I play both console and PC fps games a lot and am good at both, so I'm not biased if that is what you mean.

Not at all. My post did come off that way, sorry. Just saying that I have had this discussion many many times.

Puppeteer
03-20-2010, 06:25 AM
I play both console and PC fps games a lot and am good at both, so I'm not biased if that is what you mean. I just am much more able to fine tune all accuracy with my mouse much better than with a controller. This isn't saying that I can't aim with a controller or anything like that, just that I'm better with the mouse.

Actually, a new rts game, R.U.S.E., is coming out that supports multi-touch monitors for windows 7. I don't quite know how good it is, but there are games that go for touch screens on PCs.
Touchpad, as in of the laptop. I don't have any of this newfangled technology.

Negthareas
03-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah touchpads - I can't stand them for gaming. I use a mouse. Plug it in, plug it in.

Touchscreens - drive me nuts. The fingerprints and all. I end up wiping them every two minutes.

Darathor
03-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Touchpad, as in of the laptop. I don't have any of this newfangled technology.

Ah, I need to read better. But yeah, playing with a touchpad would be bad in pretty much every game. 'Cept Civ games, turn-based games on single-player would be fine, but not much else.

kateros
04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't think they should release it on any other platform, then the PC.
If they do that you should have roughly the same experience if u play it on them both.
If you just look at Supreme Commander 2, you see how a game with much potential, was simplified so that it could go on the Xbox 360. I’m not saying that it was a bad game. But it was very disappointing after the first one.
And if u hook a keyboard and a mouse 2 your Xbox, then it is roughly the same as playing it on a PC. So why even bother the PC properly got better graphics and performance. You will need a pretty lousy PC too not be able to play this game, no offence too creators, but the detail is not that good if you see on a single unit. I know it is properly because so that you can have hordes of units on the screen without lagging.
And if you have a keyboard and a mouse/tracker ball, then you should also own a computer.

Joseph Visscher
04-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't think they should release it on any other platform, then the PC.
If they do that you should have roughly the same experience if u play it on them both.
If you just look at Supreme Commander 2, you see how a game with much potential, was simplified so that it could go on the Xbox 360. I’m not saying that it was a bad game. But it was very disappointing after the first one.
And if u hook a keyboard and a mouse 2 your Xbox, then it is roughly the same as playing it on a PC. So why even bother the PC properly got better graphics and performance. You will need a pretty lousy PC too not be able to play this game, no offence too creators, but the detail is not that good if you see on a single unit. I know it is properly because so that you can have hordes of units on the screen without lagging.
And if you have a keyboard and a mouse/tracker ball, then you should also own a computer.

Xbox 360 release will most likely be behind PC release, we will improve graphics for the 360, and add a massive amount of new content for it. But I personally do agree that we should stick with pc, but in reality consoles sadly dominate the industry because console games are not pirated as much which gives the developers more money for their work; also the game can be greatly optimized for the console while pc has limitless incompatibility issues.

kateros
04-04-2010, 06:27 AM
When you say pirated, I didn’t think you could do that to a MMO because it is playing online most of the time. I know the custom battles, but that is only a small part of what looks to become a great game, the online part is clearly the most important part of this game. Playing this single player would not give you the whole picture. It would feel unfinished.

Gleem
04-07-2010, 10:23 AM
So I have a few comments to make here.

1 Reaction time is based on the person. If you have some statistic showing faster reaction times on a controller vs a mouse/keyboard then the people using controllers just simply had an overall faster reaction time.

2 "This accessory makes a huge leap for Video consoles versus PC. Lack of Mouse/keyboard was a major limiting factor in my opinion."

The PS3 is plug and play with almost every mouse and keyboard, and games do support it. If you pop in Unreal Tournament 3 and your mouse and keyboard it basically functions like the PC version. I believe you can even remap keys.

3 95% of all console FPS games have auto-aim. You can argue that your favorite FPS doesn't, but it does. Look it up. Some amazing games like time splitters 2 allow you to disable the auto-aim. And yes some games have a much greater amount of auto-aim. Compare the auto-aim of goldeneye to Halo 3.. there's a vast difference, but both games have it. Also you can't drop your sensitivity for sniping on a controller at the drop of a hat like you can with most gaming mouses.

4 Sadly consoles will always have superior performance vs PC games. But on the same token PC games will (almost) always be capable of running them with higher graphical settings. Both are due to the vast available hardware for any given computer. The only games I can think of that can't look superior on a PC are games like Metal Gear Solid 4, which is so entwined in the cell processor the dev team would have to redo the game from the ground up. And as it works on certain physics only currently possible with a cell processor it would still be hell.

Freyer
11-28-2010, 07:04 AM
With a nifty gadget like that i might buy this on 360 instead was quite worried about the control side of things

jleem21
11-28-2010, 11:32 AM
well...they do have those little keyboards for the 360 right? it's supposed to feel like texting on a blackberry

Sturn
12-04-2010, 01:45 PM
well...they do have those little keyboards for the 360 right? it's supposed to feel like texting on a blackberry

I have the small keyboard and it works very well. It has the same layout as a large keyboard, but you use both of your thumbs instead of two full hands (too small). Similar to a blackberry keyboard I guess, but much larger buttons. Lots easier.

SoCalDistortion
12-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I have the small keyboard and it works very well. It has the same layout as a large keyboard, but you use both of your thumbs instead of two full hands (too small). Similar to a blackberry keyboard I guess, but much larger buttons. Lots easier.

I own the 360 chatpad as well and I think it would work great for setting hot-keys etc... hopefully it works with DOF.

Valhalla
12-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I hope this game will be well adapted for the xbox 360 controller unlike LOTR failed attempt