PDA

View Full Version : Inactive Units

Meh 4 evar
05-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Hi all at the forums

Recently i came up with the idea that your inactive soldiers in army camps, or town, wont just be standing where you put them, but are wandering around to eat, drink, sleep ect. Though of course always easy to find.

The reason i came up with this idea, is that it would make long paced battles feel more real/alive.
(i tried to use the search but i couldent find anything about this)

szebus
05-11-2009, 12:14 PM
I like this idea... they, the soldiers are scated all ower the town but you have a button with what you can regroup them at once, but of course it takes a little time that youre soldiers to regroup at the barack or somewhere else.

LiTos456
05-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Dude, that would actually be so cool.
Maybe I'll make a mod like that!

nickson104
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
It would be cool but practicality of it is very small considering it may take a considerble amount of time? or would it be as simple as when idle auto command to go to food court and patrol? dont make fun of my lack of scripting language :p

Andy Joslin
05-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Features like this usually give a similar reaction. :/

First couple of times: Wow! Cool
Eventually..: Wow, that's annoying. Why don't my soldiers stay where I place them? Now I have to seek them out and get them to rally to one spot before I can use them.

Kell Aset
05-11-2009, 08:39 PM
True true, it is horribly annoying especially in games where formations are important, but perhaps for ppl that like such things there should be something like hmn battle stations, we set soldiers somewhere then we push button (battle station) selected soldiers remember that exsact place, and then we can push other button like hmn lets say for now (wonder around) if we decide that they don't have to stay there all the time.
In time of battle we would push button battle stations and all troops would rush to them, just a thought.

LiTos456
05-12-2009, 05:46 PM
yeah but meh 4 evar mentioned having a button that calls them all back.
Although on the other hand, maybe each squad should have a separate button. Or theres a button that you have to click for more buttons to pop up for each squad.
God, you know what forget it.

Kell Aset
05-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Heh well szebus exactly mentioned recall button :p , 1 general button for all troops and separate button for each battalion if we want specyfic ones to be in place.

Gigz
05-12-2009, 07:43 PM
well there are the idle animations , so something can be mod out of it ^^

Puppeteer
05-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Seems like a grand waste of time to me.

LiTos456
05-13-2009, 06:53 AM
At least you can make idle eating animations just on the spot, or like playing a guitar in a circle... BFME did that with the orcs when they would fight together, it was actually pretty cool to watch.

nickson104
05-13-2009, 06:56 AM
At least you can make idle eating animations just on the spot, or like playing a guitar in a circle... BFME did that with the orcs when they would fight together, it was actually pretty cool to watch.

Play guitar in a circle? we going camping now are we? :p a group of orcs sitting round a campfire singing camfire songs along to an acoustic guitar? :p i think maybe the elves could do such stuff, the humans should get drunk and have maybe sing and orcs should just roar at each other :p

szebus
05-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Or some soldiers are fighting eachother for exercise and other soldiers are sleeping.

Kell Aset
05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Seems like a grand waste of time to me.

No it is not complete waste of time, when enemy is shooting with catapults etc. at Your stronghold what is better for units/battalions, to stand in one place and get blasted with 1 good shot or to let them wonder around? :)

Puppeteer
05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
In the event that the enemy is shooting at you with catapults having your soldiers nonchalantly wander around to eat, drink and sleep is by far more unrealistic then having some idle animations.

Mrdash
05-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Ya I think its just a waste of data/time/my life. You could let a group wander maybe just a few feet from where they are stationed but not al over.

Kell Aset
05-13-2009, 01:07 PM
In the event that the enemy is shooting at you with catapults having your soldiers nonchalantly wander around to eat, drink and sleep is by far more unrealistic then having some idle animations.

Hehe, and standing in groups when rocks fall from sky is very realistic hehehe :D , idea is to let soldiers scatter or wonder around, animations of eating etc. apart - those are nice for eye but not essential.

Joseph Visscher
05-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Hi all at the forums

Recently i came up with the idea that your inactive soldiers in army camps, or town, wont just be standing where you put them, but are wandering around to eat, drink, sleep ect. Though of course always easy to find.

The reason i came up with this idea, is that it would make long paced battles feel more real/alive.
(i tried to use the search but i couldent find anything about this)

Could defiantly be moded into the game, but it would not be a very popular mod.

Puppeteer
05-13-2009, 03:18 PM
idea is to let soldiers scatter or wonder around, animations of eating etc. apart - those are nice for eye but not essential.
Natural scattering for troops is an idea, as opposed to telling the troops to (eg. pressing "X" in BFME, where the scatter function was really rigid). Then again, less-experienced troops would cower in fear (like a deer in front of a truck). But idle wandering? Nah.

LiTos456
05-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Dude, unrealistism is just another excuse for not doing it.
I had enough realism talk on the arma forums, so I've had enough.
Jesus, whats with you people and realism. Games aren't made to be realistic...
But now I'm just confronting myself, because I love Arma. :D

nickson104
05-13-2009, 05:03 PM

Dude... they dont have to be realistic... but it helps... Its like going into an RTS and saying i know what will spice this up... lets take away gravity... Realism isnt necessary but for the game to have any credibility it must have at least some degree of realism... and seems as it is an RTS with historical elements to its races and such realism is definitely a plus... But as said previously, gameplay often wins over realism as sometimes the fun of the game must come first

Joseph Visscher
05-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Gameplay > Realism = funnest.
Gameplay == Realism = fun.
Gameplay < Realism = fun then boring.

Generation
05-13-2009, 09:42 PM
i say it would look more realistic there should be a victory dance when a team wins a battle like they do in football for new zealand

Puppeteer
05-14-2009, 06:46 AM
i know what will spice this up... lets take away gravity...

OMG YES.
Silly idea (wandering animations, not taking away gravity; that's perfect).

fyro11
05-14-2009, 08:50 AM
If I stationed my units somewhere, I want them there. I don't want them wandering about. They were placed there for a reason. There could, and should be animations for idle units but on the spot animations, not wandering about. Whether they sit, stand or sleep doesn't matter to me, but I don't want units wandering about. Frankly, that's not even an RTS to me. The 'S' is being taken out. Real-time indeed.

What would be more beneficial towards the realism of the game, without detracting from the RTS element, is to have adequate start, stop and turning animations for all units.

LiTos456
05-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Wow i can totally imagine units floating in the air with no gravity.
THAT'D BE SWEET.

fyro11
05-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Wow i can totally imagine units floating in the air with no gravity.
THAT'D BE SWEET.
Building castles in the sky...

LiTos456
05-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Thats what dragons should do..
Or just me

MrBlack103
05-18-2009, 02:45 AM
Fine, you can have floating castles. As long as I get castles in alternate dimensions, where no-one can attack me unless I let them in :D

Andy Joslin
05-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Making a floating castle would actually be relatively easy. Just create an invisible 'center unit' with a lot of hover and slow walk speed and have that wander. Then make every unit in the castle constantly teleport to a position relative to that center unit.

OrcSlayer
05-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Can you do that in the editors? And why not have a selectable flag placed where the battalion is sent and a button that recalls the and let's them wander (toggle) and a hotkey that auto recalls

MrBlack103
05-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Hmm... I'm thinking of some awesome scenario where dark magicians uproot their castle and make it fly.:D

LiTos456
05-20-2009, 11:59 AM
They must be very strong magicians... we'll need like 50 yodas for that!

Kell Aset
05-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Hehe, well one Netheril Empire city creation kit could be enough.

MrBlack103
05-21-2009, 02:23 AM
we'll need like 50 yodas for that!

:mad: :mad: :mad: You... you... SITH! NEVER DOUBT YODA!

szebus
05-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Don't let the topic go to the dark side :)

nickson104
05-21-2009, 05:17 AM
Don't let the topic go to the dark side :)

Szebus.... I am your father!!! :p

Ovocean
05-21-2009, 07:57 AM
Imo, what is great with Arma/Operation Flashpoint is not especially the fact that it's realistic (though it provides a cool feeling of exploring a universe closer to reality than any other game), but the fact that - by trying to be realistic - it makes a rich, rough, unusual gaming experience ; contrary to most games that focus on providing the "perfect" (= simple and clean) gameplay mechanics.
Wandering soldiers would add some of that richness & originality to DoF, though I think it would be difficult to implement it in a way that wouldn't make it an only annoyance.

PS: Oops, I didn't see the second page of answers :o

LiTos456
05-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah well I at least hope they have some interesting idle animations, or move around at most a couple of feet. Perhaps even "create" their own objects such as a stool or sit down at a table with a group. It isnt realistic of chairs and tables appearing out of nowhere, but I hadn't seen other RTSs do that, and it's a good show to watch and isn't annoying.

fyro11
05-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah well I at least hope they have some interesting idle animations, or move around at most a couple of feet. Perhaps even "create" their own objects such as a stool or sit down at a table with a group. It isnt realistic of chairs and tables appearing out of nowhere, but I hadn't seen other RTSs do that, and it's a good show to watch and isn't annoying.
So, my rangers are meant to be on high-alert atop the battlements of the castle, as the assaulting army marches ever closer now visible on the horizon, and my rangers are having a grub at the table? I don't think so. That is unrealistic. Maybe objects such as goblets could 'appear'/spawn, and when the enemy comes into sight they would stop drinking and just throw away the contents of it. Something like that would be fine.

And if you say that at different times, they should have different activities, then I would say that is very difficult to implement and would have had to have been implemented as a fundamental element in the game.

Kell Aset
05-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Whole idea was that soldiers could do something when not needed at time, and if we let them. When time comes player can recall them to their previous positions.

nickson104
05-23-2009, 05:33 PM
So, my rangers are meant to be on high-alert atop the battlements of the castle, as the assaulting army marches ever closer now visible on the horizon

In which case they wouldn't be idle? They would be on guard duty? Perhaps they could restrict those animations for people on duty on battlements and on guard... Perhaps even a system where guards are assigned a role and they each spend X amount of time on and off guard? That would also add an element of strategy to attacking if its a surprise attack, strike during the changing of guards...

Or is that too hopeful of a game? ;) :p

MrBlack103
05-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Perhaps there could be a "time off" mode that you could put units in, and they would recover stamina more quickly than normal while they sleep, go to the inn etc. Then when you raise the alarm they would report back to thei last positions.

nickson104
05-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Perhaps there could be a "time off" mode that you could put units in, and they would recover stamina more quickly than normal while they sleep, go to the inn etc. Then when you raise the alarm they would report back to thei last positions.

Indeed :) Reminds me kind of like the system used in Evil Genius where minions work certain times as told to them by the time clock in the workstation then after a while clock out and recover their stats, also there were three alarm stages you could set and these would make characters either relax, be wary and arm themselves or shoot on sight... Evil Genius was a fun game :)

MagicOPromotion
06-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Can we get the thread title displayed in the last post column on the home page? At the moment we see who posted the last post, but not the name of the thread. Having the thread name there adds a bit more info when searching.

Thanks,
Gomez.

nickson104
06-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Ummm it DOES say the topic title... on just above or to the left depending on where you are when you look at the 'latest post'

The Witch King of Angmar
06-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Back on topic please guys.