PDA

View Full Version : Do not put this game on steam!

wannos
08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
If you for some reason loose your net ! and steam applies an update before you can get online!!!! no steam games will run as the updater wants to update first rendering your games useless untill you have a valid internet subscription or connection!!!! do not put the game on steam! i will be one of the first people to stop playing your game in a heartbeat.

steam is crap!!

buddhist23
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
i'm sure valve will work /w them...

Gruber12
08-15-2012, 08:48 PM
lose one player because he doesnt have internet or gain hundreds more........

I dont really think this is a hard choice

Raulaun
08-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Steam would do wonders for this game! I do hate installing steam to my PC, so having both methods available for play would be great.

Brian Shingles
08-16-2012, 04:27 AM
Steam requiring an internet connection and games to be updated is not really a valid argument against using them, at least as far as Dawn of Fantasy is concerned.

Dawn of Fantasy will require an internet connection with or without Steam as the main game mode is Online Kingdom which, as the name suggests, is played online.

Dawn of Fantasy currently runs from an updater as well, so all players have the same version of the game. If it didn't, then virtually all PvP battles would go out-of-sync.

And as Raulaun said, we would make both methods of playing Dawn of Fantasy available - so you could play it as you do now or through Steam.

gain hundreds more........
Hopefully more like thousands :D

Sunleader
08-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Actually the last point of Brian is the Main Importand one

Dawn of Fantasy CEO Konstantin already said months ago that even with DoF of Steam it would not be Steam enforced
After all Dawn of Fantasy made a Hard Step to gain Indepency

So whatever problems Steam and Steam Users Encounter it wont even matter to you because you as non Steam User wont have Steam to begin with and will those not even notice while launching the Game on your normal DoF Launcher

I for my Part dislike Steam as well
Tough I am reluctantly using it while running Firewalls in the Backround scanning anything that goes through my Network Adapter to make sure that I am in full Control of anything it Sends

However
for DoF Steam is an Incredibly Importand Step
DoF needs Users
Not only because this Game is based on PvP and those needs an extended Playerbase to make Battles available
but also because it needs an good way of Advertising

Greetz

Konstantin Fomenko
08-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, and for your concern. Let me easy your worries - while yes we are doing everything possible to get the game on steam ASAP, there will ALWAYS be a way to download and install game client without steam integration - similar to how games like Mount and Blade have it.

wannos
08-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, and for your concern. Let me easy your worries - while yes we are doing everything possible to get the game on steam ASAP, there will ALWAYS be a way to download and install game client without steam integration - similar to how games like Mount and Blade have it.

if you guys can ensure that !! it would be just great :) their is nothing more annoying than not being able to use any of the 20 odd games on steam when my isp decides to do some line maintenance which is more often than i can bare lol. and yea mount and blade is one of my fave games too! if that was an mmo rpg with the option to build player castles and cities it would be awesome. that was a subtle hint at the kind of game which isnt out yet. well their is mortal and darkfall but they are just not very good at all.

thanks for the feed back and you have put my mind at rest and possibly many others.

ps !!! might wanna approach impulse too as thats a little like steam! would be an additional great place to advertise your game more.

wannos
08-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Actually the last point of Brian is the Main Importand one

Dawn of Fantasy CEO Konstantin already said months ago that even with DoF of Steam it would not be Steam enforced
After all Dawn of Fantasy made a Hard Step to gain Indepency

So whatever problems Steam and Steam Users Encounter it wont even matter to you because you as non Steam User wont have Steam to begin with and will those not even notice while launching the Game on your normal DoF Launcher

I for my Part dislike Steam as well
Tough I am reluctantly using it while running Firewalls in the Backround scanning anything that goes through my Network Adapter to make sure that I am in full Control of anything it Sends

However
for DoF Steam is an Incredibly Importand Step
DoF needs Users
Not only because this Game is based on PvP and those needs an extended Playerbase to make Battles available
but also because it needs an good way of Advertising

Greetz

thanx for the info matey! i certainly feel your pain with steam! ive had adverts installed on my machine all sorts! and you only find them when browsing the next hard part is locateing the directory to remove the software. it gets tedius. my filters are set relatively well but they still get through. curse you steam. my biggest concern has already been sorted though!! i think steam is just manopoliseing the market and making it difficult for new computer users to get into gaming!.

lol you buy a game !!! as a new user and have no idea how to use a pc ! installing a game isnt as straight forward for these people as we might think. most of them are used to consoles that require no effort or brain power! so a pc is daunting. they read everything out of fear of doing it wrong and takes them a while. then they finally press the install button!!! lol now they are faced with another challange!!! what the hell is a registration key and where the hell do i put it.. huh what the hell is this stupid web page thats popping up called steam!!! ??? panic mode as they have no idea whats going on. all they wanna do is play the game but now they have to register an account with steam and put their game code into this alien software they have never heard of before as it wont let them play with out it. in their minds they are probably thinking they are being hacked already! not a good introduction to pc gaming for a new pc user.

well thats my oppinion on steam any ways. i think it puts more people off than it attracts. only reason i have a steam account is because of half life and steam was simple and easy to use back then! now its just mental. and a massive sales pitchincredibly glitchy too and it uploads junk to your pc too.

buddhist23
08-21-2012, 10:08 AM
really? Steam doesn't make life harder for PC gamers or difficult for new gamers. You buy a game. you download it. Good luck finding "massive" sales from any other company.

Konstantin Fomenko
08-21-2012, 10:34 AM
might wanna approach impulse too as thats a little like steam!

Already done:) http://impulsedriven.com/dof

And while I agree with above posts about Steam - their community is growing every day - and lets face it - they are the biggest online retailer of PC games. Although I heard rumors Windows 8 might screw up their business model. But either way - few more days till Greenlight goes live, can`t wait to get DoF up there!

Novakiller
08-21-2012, 11:47 AM
How so? whats wrong with windows 8 that it affects how Steam works?

I'll be sticking to windows 7 anyway, no need to upgrade, or change, Windows 8 just seems like an upgraded version of whats on the windows smart phones, it also seems like its more built to be around touchscreen monitors rather then your traditional screens in the way that it works, the tiles system ect.... naaaa not for me...

buddhist23
08-22-2012, 12:34 AM
if Gabe hates it, you might as well hate it too.

Konstantin Fomenko
08-22-2012, 02:24 PM
How so? whats wrong with windows 8 that it affects how Steam works?

You can Google Windows 8 + Steam and you`ll find some articles and interviews with Steam executives. But in a nutshell - Windows 8 comes with it`s own Game Store, and the main screen will actually show the shortcut for this game store - so Microsoft is directly taking on Steam with this move, and from what I heard so far they`ll have quite an impressive line up.

Gruber12
08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
as long as EA doesnt come near you, everything should be alright :rolleyes:

buddhist23
08-23-2012, 11:05 AM
GFWL turns off everyone already.

Novakiller
08-24-2012, 12:09 AM
You can Google Windows 8 + Steam and you`ll find some articles and interviews with Steam executives. But in a nutshell - Windows 8 comes with it`s own Game Store, and the main screen will actually show the shortcut for this game store - so Microsoft is directly taking on Steam with this move, and from what I heard so far they`ll have quite an impressive line up.

I had not heard of that, I shall look into this further, but for me Windows 8 is just an upgrade of their Windows smart phone OS, cant stand the tiles stuff, looks ugly and a bit rectro for me... To make windows look like windows you gotta do bit a of tweaking, just to even find windows explorer, terrible lol... I'll stay with win7 untill im forced to change because of DX12 only being on windows 8 or something bs like that :D

They'll never be able to compete with steam because steam has such an established user-base now, thats like thinking you can take on WoW, which is impossible because it has millions of an established user base you just cant heh... Microsoft is way to restrictive on anything, even more so then that god awful EA origin..

buddhist23
08-24-2012, 09:48 AM
They'll make windows 9 to make up for the failure of 8 just like they did with windows 7 for vista.

Sunleader
08-25-2012, 12:13 PM
That depends on Viewpoint
for me Windows Vista is by far the Superior System

Problem on Windows 7 is that it is TOO EASY
the System Decides anything for you and altering that decision is allways complicatet and annoying

Vista is much more Free and allows the User to Decide for himself
but that also means that you got trouble using it when your not familiar with Computers

Good example is the usage of your Network Systems
in Windows 7 nearly everything is set automaticly which is a fine thing for someone who doesnt know how to properly
but getting Win7 running for Lan and other stuff which is not in the basic protocolls is a real pain in the ass

Vista is much easyr to handle here because it is expecting you to configure stuff yourself and thus making it easy for you to adjust things the way you want and get it working
of course only if you actually know what your doing and what parameters you need to set here

So honestly said
Win7 in my eyes is something to apologize for
it removed lot of freedom from the System
Vista is not as well programmed but its allowing for much more Freedom :)

Greetz

buddhist23
08-25-2012, 12:24 PM
or you could just use Linux if you're looking for freedom

Sunleader
08-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Linux is an nice System
I am using it to work my Server and also when I need something to work with.

But its Compatibility Problems to Games and Programms is annoying
Having a Free System is Nice but if you cant use your stuff on it than its useless

an OS is like an Aircraft Carrier made as Platform to Launch Programms (Aircraft)

in that case Windows 7 Is like an Incredible Armed and Equipped Carrier but everything was prebuild so changing it is alot of work and sometimes even impossible

Linux Systems are the exact opposite
theyre like Huge Empty Carriers
however they lack the Catapults as well as the Ramps to launch programms so theyre useless unless you provide everything yourself
making nearly anything possible but at the same requiring incredible work for even small stuff

Vista is an much smaller Carrier
but it provides incredible compatibitility for different Programms and Systems
while the capacity might be lacking it can be changed and adjustet very easily :P

Best Carrier still was ME for it was working with everything and anything
unfortunately the system grew obsolete and unable to support modern stuff :(

Well it doesnt really matter tough
Opinions are like Faces
its rare to find even two which dont differ at some point

tough thats also a good thing
just imagine if everyone liked the same food and the same women
we would be at war all the time lol

buddhist23
08-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Just clone the same things and peace will occur.

Novakiller
08-27-2012, 09:16 AM
I have to disagree with what you mentioned about windows vista there, after using vista for such a long time, getting that damn OS to run properly on a LAN for games was no easier or harder then windows 7 is, its almost identicle as it still used the same firewall and UAC control which leads to most of the LAN issues for games along with rounter configurations, which is no different no matter what OS you use.... Windows 7 is a lot easier to install as that IS automatic, and that is great, but if you are wanting to tinker around with settings its no different then vista.... I have had a lot more issues with the networking side of things with vista then I ever did with the likes of windows 95/ 98 and XP... Been too long since i last messed with Windows 3.11

Thats going from my personal experiences..... on a personal lan with 2 comps and 2 laptops...when it comes to lan, most of the issues are with the software, ie : games that have issues going around routers and firewalls even if you are allowing them... Games for example are becomming far less lan will eventually be online only...

This is why steam is a good thing for this game, it will give them the deserved extra revenue they need and populate this game a lot more with any luck...

(just wanted to get back on topic with my last sentance) lol

City Builder
09-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I've had steam on every computer that I've ever had since joining steam years ago. Not once have I had advertisements pop up due to steam, or any other program for that matter. Those that do and think it's because of steam need to seriously analyze what's really going on and scan for malware and viruses as steam does not inject advertising software onto your computer to make ads popup in your browser, other sites that you visit and programs that you download do that.

The world seems to be full of people ill informed and or people that just believe what Joe Montecarlo has to say on some anonymous forum somewhere about things like DRM and Steam and an assortment of other things. It's time to get informed people, it's time to get informed.

For those that have crappy ISP, you shouldn't be blaming steam for the way it works you should be contacting your ISP and complaining to them to quit knocking out your internet service on such a frequent basis if it's really happening all that often.

Our ISP generally does their maintenance in the middle of the night, like between 1 and 130am which for me is prime time so it bothers me, and I complain to them, not to steam or a game developer that uses steam. Now we have less maintenance, it's now been brought down to only once a week at most instead of the old schedule where it used to be almost nightly.

buddhist23
09-05-2012, 05:56 PM
steam is so kool

KingArthur
09-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Steam is good, because it will provide the developers with a crap ton of money.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Haha - I won`t expect "crap ton of money" but hopefully enough so that we can work on the next game, and spend another year or two running and constantly adding to Dawn of Fantasy.

A bit ironic that we discussing this in the "Do not put this game on steam!" topic.

And I completely agree with City Builder - I never had a single problem with Steam, and I been using it for as long as I can remember heh.

Brian Shingles
09-06-2012, 10:17 AM
I never had a single problem with Steam, and I been using it for as long as I can remember heh.

Oh, no! You can't remember anything before 2003? Playing video games has robbed Kon of his childhood memories :p

Seriously, though, I've never had any problems with Steam. The only ads I get from them is when I quit playing a game they occasionally show some games that are on sale.

And a crap ton of money would be nice :D It would certainly make a change from the minimal funding we've had for years. I'm not sure how much money we'll make from being on Steam, but it would be great to see Dawn of Fantasy have a bigger player base and maybe for some employees to finally get paid for all those unpaid hours we've worked.

Sunleader
09-08-2012, 12:42 AM
@Buddhist
I guess you didnt get his Point

You see
Steam is very easy and very comfortable.
Its an pretty good Platform in that regard and also very dependable.
Which is logical because they especially want those to use it who dont know their way around Computers and those dont know how to limit Steam activitys
someone playing a Console primarily is very happy if everything and anything is done by Steam without him noticing
and of course Steam wants to do exactly this for you
because it means that everything you do is being helped by Steam and thus of course also recorded by Steam

However
More and more Games only get to you on the base that you already have Steam
you cant play em without Steam and then again Steam also needs to run in the Backround
And it extends itself further and further

Most Games wont even start without Steam running even in Offline Mode

Your Statistics, Behavior and pretty much everything you do is recorded on Steam and send back to them.

This Includes Primarily

Steam safes your Games Statistics so you can watch them but that also means they know:

What Game do you play
How Long do you play
How long is Steam running on your Computer per day

Steam safes your billing history so you always can check what you spend where but that also means they know:

How Much money do you spend on each Game
How Much money do you spend on Games per Month

Steam ensures that nobody is cheating or manipulating his Game but that also means they know:

What other Processes are running in the Backround while your Playing
What Websites are you visiting
What Messengers do you use
How much Data is being send and received by your Computer everyday

All of this Data is available for Steam and Send back to their Server
And actually thats not even all Steam is Sending back

You see I dont even need to look into the Programming of Steam or to suspect em of doing some hidden stuff
because Steam is not hiding this to begin with
they actually state what they are sending back very openly but they only state the reason which is your benefit
they wont tell you what use it has to them

Because for them
this is good money

They got your Email and Account Data
They got your Name and Billing Data including things like Bank Account and Address as well as other stuff

And now they receive all this Data on you
filing them and of course using them

They dont actually need to sell or spread your data to others so they know what you like and for what your ready to pay money or how much money you are ready to pay
because they themself are the ones publishing the games and those using this information
even in Offline mode Steam is memorizing this data and then sending it after your online again

Well
thats it for the Facts about Steam

Now I.ll leave it up to everyone imagination what Steam is actually trying to do with the data aside from this obvios ideas :)

Greetz

Trendz85
11-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Despite how many of you don't like steam valve etc your missing the key point ! Steam has once kick arse community that can make or break new start up games etc. Not only that but they also have a pretty fierce community of modders as well that I'm sure no doubt would only bring more awesomeness to DoF maybe new race skins graphic overhauls etc, As much as you like to admit it this is a Pvp game and without real people to play it there's no Pvp no revenue thus no game. So its clear to me from a business perspective that DoF MUST ! approach outlets such as steam not only to help promote the game via advertisement etc and create revenue for further development but to also help expand an already pretty good community and once that happens and modders get involved games tend to grow and evolve like wildfire on there own. Even those that don't become mass world sellers overnight still usually create a loyal and paying fan base that stick with these games and further there development , I'm fully behind Konstatin and the DoF team using valve to promote this community and game as a whole how the hell do you think i heard about it ? That's right steam, Ive already told 3 friends about it who also use steam. This is how the ball rolls Keep up the good work !:cool:

Onomas
11-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Steam is a good system. Not many places allow you to buy a game and download it whenever you want, anywhere you want, for as long as you want. Most places give you 1-3 years and after that you ahve to buy it again.

Steam also doesnt need to be on to play games, offline mode helps ;) Which i use often to cut back on lag.

And auto-updates is so nice.

Steam mega sales 3-4 times a year also attract a lot of customers. And theirweekly/weekend/ monthly sales are huge bonus.

Dont see why so many hate steam. Been with them for a loooong time and not once had any issue.

Hope this works out well for all parties involved.

Sunleader
11-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Well
Unfortunately even in Offline Mode Steam is Required to be Running in the Backround ;)
So only the Time at which it will send the Data is altered to whenever you go Online again ;)

Also I said this before
Steam is an Great and Easy Automatic System
Nobody is doubting that.
Its very autonomus helping you with almost everything.
Unfortunately this is exactly what people are concerned about mate :)

Because to help you with everything it also checks an immense amount of Data as I postet earlier in this Thread already *gg*

And here is that point of Steam receiving all of this Data on you.
Anticheat means it has insight to Data and Processes running on your Computer including websites and programms you run due to your Interner Browser being checked for anticheat purposes when you run it.
Auto Update also means that its going through your data regularily to see if something is not up to date :)
and so on .....

So well what you say is largely right.
But exactly this is the huge problem behind Steam :P
People are not saying its unpractical or not working well.
They say its Dangerous and Spying on you.
And the fact that they can help you this good is actually quite the proof of this being true *gg*

Greetz
ps well which by the way doesnt change that I support the motion to get any Game on Steam as long as it is not Steam enforced (only playable over Steam) ^^
And Kon already confirmed that the Game will stay playable without Steam if you dont want Steam.
So Steam will be optional and thus its fine with me :P

CaynEnable
11-18-2012, 08:39 AM
I bought a game years ago, it forced me to use steam, I no longer play that or any other game that requires steam, don't like it, will never like it, tried it a few times throughout the years. If I buy a game I bought it, I should be able to install and play without an internet connection, for those games that are not dependant on internet of course....So for me if a game requires steam, I dont buy it.