PDA

View Full Version : Religion? and Specialization ?

Gigz
04-26-2009, 09:50 AM
I did a quick search and found nothing so here it go

will this game contain religion , as in different religion give unique religious units bonus and so forth, Im thinking giving each faction a variety of religion so not every orc / elve / human player end up being the same , and while we at it , can we expect player to specialize in certain units as in having one kind of class with better stats or such , as in as a Human I focus on my knights hence i get access to a more elite version of knights , or I focus on archers and get access to better archers as in , more accurate at the lose of speed or vise versa and so on ^^ allot of posibilities come to mind , if not do the mods capabilities of the game permit us to do something like I mentioned

one last thing since this gonna be online but also modable I take online mode will stay as vanilla DOF, whoever I know allot of great mobs will be released , can we expect Dof Staff to add the best of the mobs into the online playing while they tweak them for balance and anything else they need to do with it ^^

Esculas the Mighty
04-26-2009, 10:49 AM
not civ4 jk

the units lvl and u can choose which stats to raise else they become better so u have specialization

Gigz
04-26-2009, 04:27 PM
and medieval as in , orders get u unique units from that order , but the specialization one I took it from real medieval history as in England was good with Bows , France with Knights and so on , so wanted to know is that feel gonna be on DoF or if it can be modded to work like that ^^

Jean=A=Luc
04-27-2009, 10:25 AM
and medieval as in , orders get u unique units from that order , but the specialization one I took it from real medieval history as in England was good with Bows , France with Knights and so on , so wanted to know is that feel gonna be on DoF or if it can be modded to work like that ^^

As you know every race has 3 variations (different regions they start in) and some (if not all) of those sub factions do specialize in certain style of warfare so their corresponding units do get bonuses.

Iirc those "mountain" elves have better spellcasters, humans living in the desert have better cavalry etc.

frankein_fish
04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
As you know every race has 3 variations (different regions they start in) and some (if not all) of those sub factions do specialize in certain style of warfare so their corresponding units do get bonuses.

Iirc those "mountain" elves have better spellcasters, humans living in the desert have better cavalry etc.

Exactly, But since we've heard nothing about religions id guess it wont be feutered. Maybe in the next one (U can always hope)

OrcSlayer
04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
It was said in the offical factions u want to see thread that there is no religon in this game but on the site it says the main orc campain character is the messiah of eternia :confused: If religon is in Dof2 or an expansion pack I think orcs worship should a fire deity

Puppeteer
04-27-2009, 02:48 PM
No! That defeats the whole purpose of magic. Orcs would have a natural affiliation with fire then, in which case the whole complex options of the magic system would be marginalised. Besides, why would Orcs worship a fire diety? Because it's been done before? I can't remember how many times we've gone over breaking conformity...
Messiah probably refers to a leader, not a prophet of some god.

Joseph Visscher
04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Messiah probably refers to a leader, not a prophet of some god.

Messiah means "Son of God" or "God" and or a meaning relating to 'someone great' saving and or protecting many.

Dawn Of Fantasy has its own realm and its own universe, our Humans, Elves, Orcs, Dragons, Dwarves and any other race we create in dof does not have a universal connection to any real life or fantasy universes ( E.I. J.R.Token's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_rings)).
This means, in dof there is no religion that relates to real life, there is how ever many supernatural orbs and beings and perhaps a Spiritual Realm that does favor the Elves.
Whether or not Dawn of Fantasy has Religion and or Evolution is still undecided if it will be gameplay changing or story/writing referred only; there is already great specialization per race and per player, therefore the need for Religion in Dawn of Fantasy's Realm is minor.

Darvin
04-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I find spiritual ambiguity is preferable. As soon as you have explicit "gods" that meddle, either directly or indirectly, they become incredibly boring things.

Anyways, if the magic system described to us a few months ago is still what we're in for, I don't think we'll need anything else.

Grizzlez
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I think at this stage of development with some idea of release and beta testing adding in something as big as this just seems like too much work-espeically if it won't have much of an effect. Personally I think the game will be best off without Gods, after all who needs to worry about pleasing their God whilst building a city and defending it.

The Last Defender
05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I also do not favor the religion aspect being implemented in the game. For it to be purposeful the relgion would have to open a new tech tree and/or new spells, which I don't feel would fit DoF. Your region and unit leveling should be enough to differentiate you from other players of the same race

Ryan Zelazny
05-07-2009, 01:18 PM
This was an old post I posted in the what factions would you like to see thread.

Currently we don't have a divine magic style, and I think going forward into DoF 2, it will be something we'll add. Clerics, Paladins, Shamans and Monks are all really huge Fantasy classes that we currently don't employ, so it's definitely something we will be thinking about for the next DoF installment

A lot of time when you add religion to a game it can make a lot of people apprehensive to it. You have people who are very religious in their life and they find the role of playing someone who worships another deity it can make them uncomfortable or make them shun the game entirely. You also have the anti-theist type people who despise religion and wont play it due to those facts. You also have to understand that designing games is a business, we aren't going to make changes that are going to alienate a huge chunk of players because that's a lot of money out of ours and the publisher's pocket. So you have to think of ways to add in a new experience without alienating groups of people. What you do instead of having a very in-depth religious system is you remove the Gods from the actual story and game play and just explain them with your character history and allow that to let you include the really cool classes religion provides.

Look at Paladins in Diablo or WoW, do you get a lot of story on the God they follow and the impression that it's all drab and church-going? No you get the fun part that they are knights with kick ass spells that can devastate enemies. Clerics with the ability to be a very effective melee unit as well as a healer and minor offensive caster are often one of the most powerful RPG classes. Shamans provide a really cool take on the religion base and allow for another side of the coin from your traditional deity-based religion as well as keep the game without firm religious ties. Monks the original martial artists can be tons of fun without the religious connotations.

I think going onward with DoF as a franchise we may be able to include other classic fantasy elements as well from both fiction and RPGs such as Bards, Alchemists, Necromancers, Templars, Assassins and so on to really add to the rich fantasy world we are creating.

Puppeteer
05-07-2009, 01:30 PM
A lot of time when you add religion to a game it can make a lot of people apprehensive to it. You have people who are very religious in their life and they find the role of playing someone who worships another deity it can make them uncomfortable or make them shun the game entirely. You also have the anti-theist type people who despise religion and wont play it due to those facts. You also have to understand that designing games is a business, we aren't going to make changes that are going to alienate a huge chunk of players because that's a lot of money out of ours and the publisher's pocket. So you have to think of ways to add in a new experience without alienating groups of people. What you do instead of having a very in-depth religious system is you remove the Gods from the actual story and game play and just explain them with your character history and allow that to let you include the really cool classes religion provides.

Plus the apatheists among us will forget about the whole religion/magic system, and thus be at a disadvantage :p

nickson104
05-09-2009, 05:39 AM
I think going onward with DoF as a franchise we may be able to include other classic fantasy elements as well from both fiction and RPGs such as Bards, Alchemists, Necromancers, Templars, Assassins and so on to really add to the rich fantasy world we are creating.

You serious? XD thats awesome :) necromancers :) hmm that would turn the tide of battle a bit ;) XD

Kire
05-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Paladins should be faction on their own (or followers of the light and paladin is just one kind of soldier) just like in wow is scarlet crusade/scarlet onslaught =), well at least i would like to see that cuz atm i am not impressed by human ingame faction and would be bad if they/paladins stick to them.

As for religion, i like idea there is no "god" worshiping because i dont like worship or some kind of believes i dont believe in them or when there is someone more powerful than me ... read:god =P. Well one posibility is also to make "the founder of the city"-you the player, is god/protector like in ancient Greece each city had their own god or at their colonisation the founder of the new city became later its some kind of god - so that ingame ppl worship/have belief into you =P. Well the good idea is also the belief in some kind of supernatural force as religion (like paladins and light, or nature as elf).

OrcSlayer
05-10-2009, 04:53 AM
If the undead are realesed in an expansion will their mages be necromancers?

Gigz
05-10-2009, 06:49 AM
well forget religion what about army that focus on certain units , i know they level and gain stats and stuff but will that go to the extend as to make players excels at something, im not talking leveling ur archers will make them better but that a level 10 archer from x player are better from archers of Y players ^^ and so on so forth ^^

Puppeteer
05-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Nah... ...

Gigz
05-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Nah... ...

why? just teasing you ^^

this gonna be a mmo so I would hate to see everyone being the same , I mean beside factions what else can make use more differences , unless when u level there some kind of skill tree similar to an rpg were u have to choose between something , because if not every unit will end up being the same, and im not sure how many units will be out there but just dont wanna feel every human every elve and every orc faction player is the clone of the other only difference is level and how the player play

hasdrubal
08-10-2009, 06:23 PM
i think that is an ace idea

Aametherar
08-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Plus the apatheists among us will forget about the whole religion/magic system, and thus be at a disadvantage :p

Hah, so true. I've played so many games with a large disadvantage because I refused to follow a religion and gain it's bonuses on principle :P.

OrcSlayer
08-11-2009, 03:46 AM
There is a mod for civ4 called fall from heaven and there is a race ( the grigori) made up of people who were shunned by religons and they got a new victory condition i think along with some other advantages but cant follow a religon