PDA

View Full Version : why no updates

buddhist23
07-20-2012, 09:17 PM
What happened to that lag removal promised months ago? - mass unit lag.

Konstantin Fomenko
07-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Mostly due to the small community size atm. It`s a higher priority to increase the number of players, and once things are back on track and we have solid number of daily players we can continue with updates. We`ll have an announcement about this next week.

Wolfentir
07-21-2012, 07:34 AM
You guys must be in a tricky situation. Not enough players to keep updating, but if you don't update player will not keep coming.

buddhist23
07-21-2012, 10:29 AM
but this army-lag itself drives people like myself away from this game..........it's a huge enjoyment blocker.. T_T

aramsm
07-21-2012, 01:49 PM
I think I didnt understand it right. Dont you guys update because of the lack of players?? Whats the relation about one thing with the other?? Is it lack of feedback? Well I guess we provided some feedback of what we want, at least some stuff to make an update.

Ive visited this forum every day looking for any news. It was some rumors about a huge update at this summer (USA summer I mean, because its winter here), but till now nothing. Im still waiting for this and pathfind, guilds etc but I cant keep playing this game anymore without any of those stuff or some new feature. I feel I did everything that the game could provide me, so... I even dreamt with this game one day before, I miss one MMORTS, but still I cant come back to DoF yet.

Well Im waiting for any update and I cant see why we cant have it because we have few ppl playing the game.

Konstantin Fomenko
07-21-2012, 01:59 PM
The pathfinding update is still planned and in the works, but as I`ll explain bellow we had to divert our resources away from it. We will be working on other cool stuff for the rest of the summer as well - so patching didn`t completely stop - I should have phrased my original reply differently:). But - we had to slow down the rate of updates, as myself and other staff concentrate on more marketing oriented activity.

After spending half a year greatly improving the game from the state the publisher released it in, it`s not "that bad" for new players (granted it`s still missing long term playability). And in order to get more work force committed to DoF - not only for fixes, but also new content - we need to get a smooth stream of new players going first. Next week we`ll announce more details on this, including a new distributor for the game and some other info.

Also we have another high priority right now - making updater work perfectly and creating a new simple installer for the game - this is expected next week.

bonedripper
07-21-2012, 04:32 PM
So i bought this game 5 months ago and after i finished it ( 3 days ) i just got bored of him i mean , i can't make PVP because of huge amount of lag:( So i get bored...
That was at beginning , but i still had 1-2 players to play with , with that lag .. it was acceptable ... NOW when i enter the game i can't find anyone online , i don't have with who to play ... and i get bored again and i exit... i feel like i wasted my money on this game:( and that's bad because the community is great , you are the most nice developer i ever met on mmorpg games , and i played lots of mmos. But the thing is we don't have players -.- or if we have they are not online in night time - america , because i am on europe. So .. hope you guys will do something to attract more players. I am sure that if this game would be a little bit more populated it would be more fun , i mean seriously? I didn't did a pvp in months , and i love this game it's really nice idea , very cool system but i get bored if i play alone:( Anyway hope you will do something maybe repair this lag problem faster dunno , something that will get more players into our community so i can have someone online to pvp with...
Thanks and hope this game will become famous!

Shocker
07-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Do not worry they will remove all issues.I can guarantee you that the people that worked on this games solved every issue in like 2 3 days a week tops.
Btw if you are from Romania then we should meet some time in the game because i am from Romania too.:)

buddhist23
07-21-2012, 05:29 PM
hopefully it all works out

Brian Shingles
07-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Just to expand a bit on what Kon said and give you an insight into the dedication of the dev team...

Gameplay bug and balance fixes are fairly quick changes to make and will usually be patched within a week of them being reported, but larger projects like pathfinding and new content take time and quite often are delayed by more high priority fixes and marketing work. As Kon said, we are still working on adding some cool new things but I think we should keep them under wraps for a bit longer so people don't get too excited and then disappointed by the inevitable delays.

One thing to keep in mind about the frequency of updates - we are not a big budget studio, we are a very small team working for very little/no pay. What money Reverie does get from sales mostly goes towards marketing to bring in new players and, of course, server costs. But don't worry too much, the game was made without the devs getting paid much and with or without pay we'll keep working on the game and we'll keep the servers running for many more years to come ;)

In the meantime, we are looking at various options for increasing funding without gouging players by increasing price or filling the shop with pay-to-win uber-units, which quite frankly is more likely to drive players away. Steam Greenlight (http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/) is one of those options and with the help of all our players as well as everyone on the forums who is yet to buy the game we will hopefully finally get Dawn of Fantasy on Steam.

If we are able to increase our funding through exposure on Steam and our other options then we will be able to return to full-time development and can then add in the features we are working on much quicker.

We are grateful to everyone who has supported us and continues to support us by buying and playing Dawn of Fantasy, but we hope you understand when we don't always release an update on time.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

tl;dr - we are a small company, we are trying to get funding to increase frequency of updating/adding features, until then delays, thanks for support

Wolfentir
07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
I'll be happy to support you on Steam. Maybe post a topic on how we can do that and other ways we can help.

Cheers

OxyKnight
07-23-2012, 05:53 AM
But would it be possible for us players to help? I mean we could invite friends to play, but would it be possible for players to add in-game content? Sortuff like a community contest.

Brian Shingles
07-23-2012, 06:16 AM
See, this is what I love about the Dawn of Fantasy community, everyone wants to help to make this the best game it can be.

I'll be happy to support you on Steam. Maybe post a topic on how we can do that and other ways we can help.

Thanks for your support. Steam Greenlight is scheduled to begin late August. Closer to the date we'll be making forums posts to let people know about it so we'll be ready when it launches.

Once Steam Greenlight has begun, we'll get Dawn of Fantasy listed and we'll post in the forums and send out a newsletter asking everyone for their help with instructions on how to do so.

But would it be possible for us players to help? I mean we could invite friends to play, but would it be possible for players to add in-game content? Sortuff like a community contest.

I'd love to see some user created content. Before joining Reverie I used to design custom scenarios for Age of Mythology as a hobby and I know some of the other devs made scenarios for Age of Kings amongst other games. It would be great for Dawn of Fantasy to build the same kind of scenario design and modding community.

Dawn of Fantasy comes with a powerful, yet easy to use scenario editor. I think you are right, if we can get enough people interested we should have a contest to get people to design a new town to siege or a new quest to complete perhaps with the winning scenarios added into the online game world.

Shocker
07-24-2012, 10:39 AM
awesome!if this game actually goes on steam then it will be the game we dreamed of: full of people fun and competition!i simply cant wait:D
Also, steam already has a program like that so if it could be possible and u would agree with it, we could use that one (Steam Workshop)

Generation
07-24-2012, 12:04 PM
But Steam workshop is only for the modding community isn't it?

OxyKnight
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
I have created one scenario and its only halfway done, but is there anyway to share it? I'd like to get an opinion on how I should improve etc.

Konstantin Fomenko
07-24-2012, 04:19 PM
You can always Zip your .dofscn scenario file and post it on the forums (using attachment manager)

Gruber12
07-24-2012, 10:01 PM
hmmm create your own scenarios.... I need undead models :D

Konstantin Fomenko
07-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Finally got update on the Steam situation. Our 'soon to be announced' new partner has a contact at Steam and I finally got a reply.
As trivial as it might sound - Steam won`t accept DoF as our Metacritic score is not only bad, but we don`t actually have enough reviews for an official score... http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dawn-of-fantasy. And Steam will not deal with Indie PC games without a proper Metacritic score at least with 60% rating.
Right now we have 3 reviews there - all with 50%+ rating - and fairly so - these reviews date to October/November - as Dawn of Fantasy was in a really messy state back then (thanks 505:p).
So now we actually have a contact to get us on Steam without Greenlight, BUT - we would need to get a proper review, or two, or three first. And while there had been some really positive DoF reviews, we need someone from Metacritic official list to review the title...

https://metacritic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1508/session/L3Nuby8wL3NpZC9DOFVxQkczaw==

Would someone reading this know someone who works at any of these reviewers?:)

Heh - the headaches I have to deal with:)

Novakiller
07-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Well thats a pretty crazy position to be in, the best thing i would suggest is to get in contact with giantbomb/gamespot/IGN/1UP/ and PC Gamer mag to get your reviews up, I dont know how to go about that but im sure you do konst. :D

Those to me are the big hitters for reviews and meta scores that are fair and balanced, i know gamespot i believe reviewed DOF awhile back, but im sure you could probably get it re-reviewed considering the massive changes that have been made since DOF's release.. At least now you know, and we all know what the issue is, now you can at least work on getting the issue fixed so we can all enjoy our DOF on steam, which is probably going to be a massive promotion for you guys as well soon as you can get on there.

Gruber12
07-26-2012, 01:18 AM
maybe if it got dumbed down like most rts and pandas were added

Konstantin Fomenko
07-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Haha - the dump down version with Pandas will be Dawn of Fantasy 2:D

We started working on getting some reviews up and contacting lots of media websites, but I`m guessing it`ll take couple of weeks at best before we get first media websites posting a review. We`ll keep you posted and show you any reviews that might pop up.

Shocker
08-07-2012, 06:23 PM
I know this is an old post but i know a magazine very popular in my country all the gamers buy it and i think i could make them get another review for you :)

Konstantin Fomenko
08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Shocker that would be awesome! You could always get in touch with me on the forums or by e-mail - konstantin@reverieworld.com to work out the details. We`ll be forever grateful:D

Shocker
08-08-2012, 04:10 AM
OK i will contact them right now. Will tell you if they accept