PDA

View Full Version : Lack of player feedback on game...

Rudedawg
05-20-2012, 11:23 AM
For me one of the things I like most about this game is the development team. They have been very responsive to my queries - and the weekly livestream is awesome - how many gaming companies do that?

So for me, I would like to support this game's development as a player any way I can.

Besides purchasing influence, here are my initial thoughts about what I think you can do to improve the game;

1. I would love the ability to name my hero - I think one of the reasons why I don't play SC2 is because for me I don't feel any connection to the units. With DoF I think there's a real opportunity to define this game by hero abilities, and the ability to name them.

2. Chat is cumbersome, distracting, and imo in the wrong place. I would to see it like most games - in the bottom left, resizable, with varying transparancy.

3. Bottom portraits of unit selected. This is very frustrating - For example if I want to switch a peasant from one task to another - I like to select all of my peasants - go to the bottom see who is doing what and then reassign if necessary.

Well I don't know if it's just me - but right clicking, left clicking, trying to select along the bottom portraits does nothing for me.

4. Town Center should have it's own protrait in top left corner please or a hot key function. So I can click and get back to the town center quickly.

5. Font - I realize it's "stylish" but for me hard to read. I don't like it. Often times I am trying to figure out if 3's are 5's, numbers often collide" etc...

6. New Structure Announcement - many times I have a few buildings on the go - can we get an icon that flashes for 10 secs when a building is finished building that allows us to click and then go to that building right away - so we don't have to search for it?

7. Dragons - well personally I don't like them, like the chat their cumbersome to use - and to be honest when I'm playing a video game I want to have fun - walking or flying they don't go very far. They have to be micromanaged.

Some words of advise - that most game developers miss.

You game has to be fun.

When you implement something into the game ask yourself - is this fun?

So dragons, No thanks. As they are I won't be buying or using them. Which is going to put players who are willing to micromanage at an advantage over me. Which means I might not play this game for very long.

8. I'm sure I don't need to say this - but clicking on units and asking them to go and do things is still very spotty - human archers for some reason are terrible for getting them to go and do what I want them to do.

9. Unit differention - in SC2 I know who's units are who's - the screen is easy to read - it's bright, colors are bright and vivid.

It's not that your graphics haven't come a long way, but DoF looks like a cloudy day, everything seems a little blurry, dark or washed out - I know you are going for a certain "look or style" and I'm sure there are certain players who love it.

But for me, I like to see my units, I like to see the battles, I like to know who's who. I want to see the hero (maybe make him a 25% bigger?).

I like the game.

I am playing it for short periods.

But I am not sucked in by it yet.

Here's hoping that you get there, because the market needs a game like this and a company like you :)

Perkons
05-21-2012, 05:45 AM
100% Agree.
I would also advise to make the game free to play , with members option simillair to runescape.
Also maybe some simple cash shop.
You would get 5x more players. And with time you would profit.

Konstantin Fomenko
05-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the kind words and feedback. We hope everything will change around late June - we are simply waiting for a good deal of funding to invest into advertisement to attract a lot more players. Lack of players is the biggest problem atm - as it completely stops the PvP component of the game. Now to address some of the points you bring up:

1. I would love the ability to name my hero
Never thought about that this way - we do allow naming Armies, I guess that would make sense - really easy to include, I`ll see if we add this in one of the coming patches.

2. Chat is cumbersome, distracting, and imo in the wrong place.
Brad new fully customizable chat will be added in a patch later this week, we`ve been workign on it for a while:)

3. Bottom portraits of unit selected.
Try clicking with right mouse button, left mouse button as well as Shift, Cntrl + LMB or RMB

4. Town Center should have it's own protrait in top left corner please or a hot key function. So I can click and get back to the town center quickly.
This does make sense early game, but after couple of days you really don`t use it as much and that icon in the top won`t make sense. We do plan to add Hot Keys for various buildings though.

Rudedawg
05-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Awesome! Konstantin, thanks for the response and the great answers!

I know you guys have alot on your plates, but it's nice to see that you're open to player feedback.

Ghost
05-21-2012, 06:22 PM
I agree with all of your points except the one about micromanagement.

In a RTS, the player who micromanages better will and should always win. That's a big part of what defines the skill of a RTS player, how well they micro. Otherwise it just becomes, "throw my mess of soldiers at your mess of soldiers and hope I win," which is much less interesting.

Gruber12
05-21-2012, 09:03 PM

In a RTS, the player who micromanages better will and should always win. That's a big part of what defines the skill of a RTS player, how well they micro. Otherwise it just becomes, "throw my mess of soldiers at your mess of soldiers and hope I win," which is much less interesting.

This is true, I played a Dark Crusade game with 2 hours of non stop fighting to their base because both teams mirco like champs :D

One update I want is for Attack Moves, for some reason mine sometimes turns off if i reselect units while their moving so they walk into the enemy without atatcking :confused:

Silkjc
05-21-2012, 10:05 PM
I would advise getting alliances in before doing a large marketing campaign...at the moment there is no 'sticking feature' to keep people playing.
You need a reason for people to want to play...they need 'territories' and something to work for, something to make friends for, a reason to keep coming back. This is why it is always so dead in PVP...if I want the current style PVP I can go play total war multiplayer...which does it much better.

DOF needs to focus on what they have better than Total War, or other games... persistent kingdom mode. Expand the persistant mode more fully into the multiplayer features of this game, something like Stronghold Kingdoms and you will have an absolute gem.

Gruber12
05-22-2012, 03:44 AM
With Alliance territory, I suppose a new "side-map" could be unlocked as a newly discovered island that has clans fighting over it. When a alliance takes over a certain chunk of it they could say get a 5% boost to a gold production, or have a area that is rich in iron and melee units in the alliance get 2% increase to their attack

aramsm
05-22-2012, 12:18 PM
I think PvE needs more attention too. Maybe some NPC patrols, bandidts and armies walking around the map like Mount and Blade. A better AI when they actually react when you shoot them arrows and make them stronger. More levels of quests and bosses and dungeons.

WIth Alliance system we could fight to take control over cities or areas wich gives us access to a dungeon or to a mine.

We could have equips for armies and hero too.

And the world could be totally persistent like Stronghold Kingdoms Online, with army range of sight and fog of war in world map. But that would mean no more armies ranks perhabs?

Wolfentir
05-23-2012, 04:25 AM
Also creating your own castles would be great. Have a limited amount of stone or wood and then position your castle walls as you see fit.

Gruber12
05-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Also creating your own castles would be great. Have a limited amount of stone or wood and then position your castle walls as you see fit.

The "design your own walls" has been discussed before and the devs dont have it so people cant create impossible to assualt walls

Ghost
05-23-2012, 02:07 PM
I would advise getting alliances in before doing a large marketing campaign...at the moment there is no 'sticking feature' to keep people playing.
You need a reason for people to want to play...they need 'territories' and something to work for, something to make friends for, a reason to keep coming back. This is why it is always so dead in PVP...if I want the current style PVP I can go play total war multiplayer...which does it much better.

DOF needs to focus on what they have better than Total War, or other games... persistent kingdom mode. Expand the persistant mode more fully into the multiplayer features of this game, something like Stronghold Kingdoms and you will have an absolute gem.

Yeah the endgame is really lacking right now. Even PvP starts to get stale after a while as the only thing you get for it is wealth and resources, both of which you have an abundance of at the endgame. Conquerable territory would go a long way towards keeping people interested.

Wolfentir
05-23-2012, 07:51 PM
The "design your own walls" has been discussed before and the devs dont have it so people cant create impossible to assualt walls

But having limited amount of stone and wood will prevent you from making wall after wall after wall. They could also make a feature that you couldn't put three rows of walls together or similar.

Also, if you chose to put wall after wall then you will not have space to put your buildings inside the walls and hence enemies could destroy them really easy.

I really think if they put some effort into this and alliances gameplay they would have many more players.

Rudedawg
05-24-2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks for all of the great feedback guys!

Actually Ghost if you reread my post I was only referring to Dragons.

So your concern about my mess of soldiers against your mess of soldiers does not apply.

The fact is if you want this game to succeed - which I hope you do - you won't make the mistake that most hard core, die hard purests make - which is forget that 90% of gamers out there are looking for a game they can pick up for a few hours and play thats not too overly complicated.

Unless Reverie has incredibly deep pockets and don't mind paying to keep their servers up.

Dev's that cater to "niche" purest type players; Shadowbane, Darkfall, MO end up with a dead game and not enough broad based fan support.

vicious666
05-25-2012, 12:37 AM
yeah the game need a sort of strategic way to play it

map must be conquerable, with alliance of ppl bound together for make reigns, maybe nominate a king so we can play realm vs realm giving this game a much deeper experience, so group fo player will try to defend theyr lands, expand it, etc

like world of battles. wob have better strategy map, but is less deeper becouse have only battles withouth the management behind

Skjuludde
05-26-2012, 04:21 PM

Can't agree with that one I'm afraid. micromanagement is much more a part of tactics than it is of strategy.
There really should be a genre called RTT, Real time tactic.

Konstantin Fomenko
05-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Great feedback guys! And really enjoying reading your ideas, I won`t comment just yet, don`t want to interrupt the brainstorming:)

Gruber12
05-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Great feedback guys! And really enjoying reading your ideas, I won`t comment just yet, don`t want to interrupt the brainstorming

to late *pokes kon with a stick*

Wolfentir
05-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Custom Castles:
In relation to building your walls, maybe Devs could introduce feature that if certain buildings are destroyed the defending army would suffer penalties (eg. movement penalty or armour).

That way you couldn't build wall after wall becasue you wouldn't have space for your buildings inside your castle. Also, these buildings could only get damaged by melee so you couldn't just use your trebuchets to destroy them.

Conquerable territory:

As other people said, we also need conquerable territories. Maybe a new server could be created which would contain The Island of the Ancients. Ancients once lived on this island but their civilization is now long gone. Each race has different myths linked to this island and the Ancients, but each race believes that conquering the island will help them achieve their goals.

Orcs believe that who ever controls the Island will control the ancient demon that will help them conquer all the other races.

Humans believe that by controling the Island Heavens gates will finally be open to humans and every human that dies will go to Heaven.

Elves believe that if they control the island the Nature will once again be powerful enough to rule over the land and stop the younger races from destroying the ancient forests.

These are just some of the ideas. But now the world has a reason for new server (island) and the reason to fight over it. So you can still play PvE and PvP sieges on the main landmass and have a war on another server.

The island can be divided into many regions and each race gets a starting region with a castle. Maybe this castle cannot be attacked and can be used as a meeting point for players to chat and devise strategies.
Then players go after territories and build their castles. Again, each territory could have limited number of castles (devs decide) but each castle could be defended and attacked by up to 2 players on each side. Or if that is too much it could be 1v1.

And of you go, devs set a time limit for the war (a week, a month, several months) and after the time has run out which ever race holds the most territory wins the war. And the players with most victories and contribution to the war get labeled as "The Hero of the Realm/Tribe/Covenant".

picobee
05-27-2012, 11:57 PM
awesome developers btw. very quick response.. A++++

crazyb0b
05-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Things that would make the game 100x better, for me at least.

Hero Customization. I would love to be able to change their appearance, give different skills, give them weapons and armor that would show up on the little guy etc. This would instantly bring me back into the game full swing. You guys would also stand to make a crap ton of money off of this since no one likes to look like the other guy.

Dragon changes. Dragons are a bit of a double edged sword in this game. They are extremely powerful, but cost IP to get, and they can also perma-die. This has lead to, from what I have read, people running dragon armies and mauling everything. What I would like to see is only being able to field one dragon per army. That dragon would not be able to perma-die, but when they do get killed they get reset to level 1, or even better, they get reset into a dragon egg which you have to use resources/time on to hatch/raise. If those changes were put in place I would also like to see more variety of dragons into the game all with different bonuses, attacks, appearances, etc.

City customization. I love the Orc race for the fact that you can place buildings anywhere, but I find them extremely ugly and don't like the zerg play style. It would be awesome to be able to do this with the other races. I know it probably isn't feasible since you already have them out, but for if you release new ones that is the way you should go. Maybe also be able to change the way your walls, buildings, etc look so they aren't the same as everyone else.

I am not sure if this is possible the way the game is set up currently, but with Online Kingdom mode have maps where, after you do x amount of quests, you can move to it and be able to see all the other player kingdoms. You can form alliances, have trades set up if people come in, have standings, etc.

Total loss in PvP. If you get your kingdom destroyed, it should be destroyed. With that change you would need to remove the IP costs on building upgrades, which I have never really understood why they are in place to begin with.

Rudedawg
05-31-2012, 09:50 AM
Total loss in PvP. If you get your kingdom destroyed, it should be destroyed. With that change you would need to remove the IP costs on building upgrades, which I have never really understood why they are in place to begin with.

After you purchase the game for a paltry sum - the dev's need some sort of revenue model to keep on going.

So instead of a monthly fee to play - you have IP costs.

crazyb0b
05-31-2012, 10:23 AM
After you purchase the game for a paltry sum - the dev's need some sort of revenue model to keep on going.

So instead of a monthly fee to play - you have IP costs.

Yes, but you can get all the IP you need for buildings from questing.

They need to add customization into the game. That would increase their revenue by an absolute crap ton.

Ghost
05-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Can't agree with that one I'm afraid. micromanagement is much more a part of tactics than it is of strategy.
There really should be a genre called RTT, Real time tactic.

What strategy do you use that involves no micromanagement? Even by your own definition (micro being more tactics than strategy), do you then use a strategy with no tactics?

Malasorte
06-03-2012, 01:08 AM

kingdom destroyed lol
this is the worst thing possible to make ... so many quit stonghold kingdoms cause of this feature and travian sucks ... go play those if u want your city destroyed

Vind
06-04-2012, 03:38 AM
My feedback...

Id like to mention that i have been in beta test some +year ago and now i started playing again.
I play with elves so i don't know how it is with other races...
Things i don't like:

1. The sound that announces a new quest is killing me, my heart skips beat every time. It is so out of sync with other sounds. Really doesn't fit in. To "strong" might be the right word.

2. Weather effects, if i turned them OFF i don't want to hear any lightning sounds. Again it is to "strong", and i don't want to see lightning flashes.

3. The elf quest when you meet the guy in secret behind some bush. His evil laugh...really annoying. He sounds like some mad mage.

4. When moving around forest i keep selecting objects in strange patterns. The great trees should not be selectable unless you choose to construct a building. (I guess that requires a build menu)

5. I cant find hero on the map when he is with other units. He is undistinguishable. Let us make him pink or glow in the dark so i can find him.

6. I don't know how siege is supposed to work. But i had a balista shooting at pallisade and it took 100 hits before it actually destroyed one. It was shooting everywhere, like it was guided by drunken goblins. And no there weren't any trees in the way (at least not the big ones). Also i used amount of stone to destroy one wooden pallisade equal to stone needed to build one wall segment?!

7. Selecting units, when i click on ONE unit portrait at the bottom of the screen i would like to control just that one company. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt (i tried both LBC and RBC).

8. When in combat and i want my units to retreat i right click them away they start moving and then they resume fighting. i think my command should take precedence to their stance.

9. Elven interface is bad. Build and research icons are to "soft" there isn't enough contrast in them. They need some kind of border around them. Selected unit portrait is to big. Icons around minimap are to big. Chat should be where selected unit portrait is. Now it stays closed most of the time cause it is in the way.

10. When you are on the world map and you are creating an army. You can hover a mouse over unit portrait and it displays info about that unit, its strengths and weaknesses, but when you are recruiting a unit or when you click on that unit in city screen you cant get that information.

11. During my first quest siege, i won but i dont know how. I mean what is the condition for wining a siege. My army got slaughtered too. I was about to give up when it said Victory...

12. Lack of magic for elves. Now only magic there is summon treant and balista. Where is that nice fire wall that went in double circle around 3 elven mages? I remember reading posts about summoning fire elementals and stuff way back...

13. Downpour spell, elves are forest protectors they should have auto-cast for that spell. Same as when the rangers start shooting arrows when enemy approaches. By the time i select a spell, target a location half of my units get crispy toasted. Or at least make the area of the spell larger depending on how many casters i have selected.

14. We "need" to have some pretty buildings that do nothing. Like plazas, gardens, fountains...

15. Elven enchanters sound when summoning is wrong. It sounds like combat not like summoning.

Now i don't mean to sound negative, the game is amazing it offers so much and is definitely worth checking out, and i guess it even gets better when you play with some1 and do a double siege or pvp.
Combat is amazing it includes many different units that require different tactics. Offline mode enables you to quick try different races and their advantages.
And most of the stuff i mentioned above can be fixed and corrected in small amount of time if developers deem them a problem. Most of the stuff is purely cosmetic and matter of taste.

I don't know if it is possible but maybe allow players to use / create interface mods.

PS. Excuse any english and writing mistakes.