PDA

View Full Version : death effect

Phylast
03-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I saw some pictures showing dead units laying on the ground. I was wondering will some of the units have a the possibility once killed on a wall to have a quick death animation showing them fall off the wall.

Puppeteer
03-24-2009, 12:11 PM
I know that bodies twitch on the ground, but this does sound like something Reverie might have implemented to satisfy their warped, morbid fantasies.
I know we all appreciate the interest, but next time if you have a bunch of questions could you put them in one topic please? If the question in hand is controversial or is a BIG issue, perhaps it would be prudent to put that on its own, for the sake of avoiding further discussions (*cough* wall blueprints *cough). Thanks.

Andy Joslin
03-24-2009, 12:48 PM
We do not currently have ragdoll physics. Whether or not we'll include them is still up in the air.

And yes, please follow Puppeteer's suggestion. I just merged most of your topics into one.

Phylast
03-24-2009, 02:46 PM
We do not currently have ragdoll physics. Whether or not we'll include them is still up in the air.

And yes, please follow Puppeteer's suggestion. I just merged most of your topics into one.

Ragdoll physics would be amazing to see blasts from catapults, knockbacks, etc. I suppose making each unit have a fall animation would be a bit much. I was just thinking more along the lines of every one in ten units that die on a wall will fall to either side of the wall (straight line down) to have bodies litter the ground around the wall.

If I have a slue of thoughts I'd like to bring up next time I'll put them under one topic. I just did join the forums, but I've been tracking this game for awhile now. I searched through the forums to find appropriate topics already covered, but I felt each was a suggestion that might be worth having a separate topic upon.

LiTos456
03-24-2009, 02:49 PM
I think simple animations would do fine... for units that is. But for catapults... I wish..uh do you have real destructibility? I doubt it... but man it would be great if you did. I'm guessing it's just simple animations of blocks of wood or stone flying around.

ash12181987
03-24-2009, 03:17 PM
PLEASE put in ragdolls, it leads to unintentionally hillarious battle scenes. Like this one:
http://xs137.xs.to/xs137/09111/hurtz915.jpg

LiTos456
03-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Yeah ok now I changed me mind, PUT IN RAGDOLLS! :D Yes it does make things very funny.
By the way what game is that?

Kell Aset
03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
I think it is Mount & Blade.

ash12181987
03-24-2009, 05:34 PM
That it is.

Ginko
03-25-2009, 06:30 AM
i think it is better to have a good strategy game, than a very good looking game.. just look at Civ4 :P

Phylast
03-25-2009, 08:15 AM
i think it is better to have a good strategy game, than a very good looking game.. just look at Civ4 :P

Civ 4 looks beautiful, what are you talking about? My whole point was to find out if it would be easy to show units falling off of a wall every so often.

Ginko
03-25-2009, 08:23 AM
well compared to todays standards it doesnt :P but ppl still play it

Puppeteer
03-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Ragdoll physics would be amazing to see blasts from catapults, knockbacks, etc. I suppose making each unit have a fall animation would be a bit much. I was just thinking more along the lines of every one in ten units that die on a wall will fall to either side of the wall (straight line down) to have bodies litter the ground around the wall.
I think the argument against Ragdoll physics was the whole issue of necessity vs. lagg. It didn't fulfil the criterium of being unquestionably necessary, and would bump up the spec requirements (AFAIK).

LiTos456
03-25-2009, 05:02 PM
True. But what if you are able to disable and enable them at will?

Puppeteer
03-26-2009, 12:56 PM
You want to extend the deadline further?

Andy Joslin
03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
We cannot extend the deadline again. If we don't make the next one we'll have to cut features instead of delaying.

Ragdoll is on the 'maybe' list, so unless we're extremely lucky I don't think it's going to be in the game.

LordSlayer
03-26-2009, 03:22 PM
We cannot extend the deadline again. If we don't make the next one we'll have to cut features instead of delaying.

Ragdoll is on the 'maybe' list, so unless we're extremely lucky I don't think it's going to be in the game.

But could it be included in a future expansion? :cool:

ash12181987
03-26-2009, 04:27 PM
If its in good, if it's not okay.

Lets be honest, it's not essential... though it would be slightly amusing.

Even if it was implemented though, I would say there should most assuredly be an option to turn them off, because as said earlier it is a system hog.

Phylast
03-26-2009, 10:01 PM
based on the number of units that I've seen in previews, adding ragdoll physics to every unit would be a heavy burden. Once again though, is there a non-cheesy way to have units fall off a wall without much demand for calculations?

Joseph Visscher
03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
PLEASE put in ragdolls, it leads to unintentionally hillarious battle scenes. Like this one:
(Unquoted image)

I count 15 men in 1 screen, with ragdol physics. Dof can have thousands and thousands, of object and units on screen without ragdol physics, its either a few guys falling down with ragdoll physics or massive army battles unseen in a lot of modern RTSs.

Grizzlez
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I count 15 men in 1 screen, with ragdol physics. Dof can have thousands and thousands, of object and units on screen without ragdol physics, its either a few guys falling down with ragdoll physics or massive army battles unseen in a lot of modern RTSs.

Would definately prefer some epic battles than a small extra to the game. Sick of the armies with like 100 men on screen-thats not a real war, just a gang war.

LiTos456
03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah good point.WHen you have thousands of units I dont think you'll care about watching ragdolls that much...

nickson104
03-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah good point.WHen you have thousands of units I dont think you'll care about watching ragdolls that much...

unless of course the bodies have collision damage XD troll picks up a soldier and throws him into your formation and it takes out a good number of them through the collisions and their subsequent collisions

Andy Joslin
03-27-2009, 05:33 PM
unless of course the bodies have collision damage XD troll picks up a soldier and throws him into your formation and it takes out a good number of them through the collisions and their subsequent collisions
I could do something *kind of* like that with unit scripting relatively easily, actually.

Have the ogre play pick up animation, make unit play being picked up animation. Then remove the unit, create a projectile with the unit's graphic, and have the ogre throw the projectile. Give the projectile low accuracy and high splash damage.

Besides the animation work, not too hard.

nickson104
03-28-2009, 04:28 PM
I could do something *kind of* like that with unit scripting relatively easily, actually.

Have the ogre play pick up animation, make unit play being picked up animation. Then remove the unit, create a projectile with the unit's graphic, and have the ogre throw the projectile. Give the projectile low accuracy and high splash damage.

sounds cool :) wish i coudl do such scripting >.< ah well i have years ahead of me, maybe sometime in the future :)

Kell Aset
03-28-2009, 05:43 PM
No rocks/ammo under hand? but lots of enemies? = lots of ammo hehe :p nice idea.

LiTos456
03-28-2009, 10:47 PM

That sounds so simple it makes me wanna do it
No really, I totally get it :D

nickson104
03-29-2009, 04:42 AM
That sounds so simple it makes me wanna do it
No really, I totally get it :D

whats not to get? the way he explained it is so simple an idiot could understand XD the hardest part of that for me is the fact i have no knowledge on scripting XD :p and the fact of the lack of such animations XD

LiTos456
03-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah I know.
I hope you add it, because that would be a fun thing to watch :P

Andy Joslin
03-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Why not just script it yourself when the game comes out? ;)

Phylast
03-29-2009, 11:19 AM

The Original Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War has units that do something of the sort. These specific units grab smaller infantry, tear them apart and throw them into crowds of other units nearby. They also have about a 240 degree arc knockdown/ knockback. I thought this was a great element in the game and would love to see high utility units in DoF.