PDA

View Full Version : For the Love of Heraldry and Custom Uniforms!

AJP
07-26-2007, 12:33 AM
Will there be custom heraldry and uniforms for this game? Using something like the Army Editor in the game 'Warhammer: Mark of Chaos' would be sooooooooooooooo cool, so no two armies in this MMORTS look exactly the same.

looks like this, for those who don't know: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ce/MOC-Editor.png

Super Nova
07-26-2007, 02:33 AM
That pic looks F*c*ing cool that would be cool to have in the game :D

Silent_Lamb
07-26-2007, 05:25 AM
Mark of Chaos got better treatment then all the 40K games. The army editor in that one was basically face paint delux. That would be an extremely cool feature, especially if you could through and tweak every unit. It would certainly allow for a better MMORTS experience seeing as we'll (hopefully) be facing off against hundreds of opponents, and seeing the same units over and over again may hurt the eyes a little.

Darvin
07-26-2007, 09:37 AM
How do they ensure that two players do not have overly similar colour patterns? That's my biggest concern here; in all practical sense, player colours exist to differentiate which units belong to which player.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-26-2007, 10:05 AM
How do they ensure that two players do not have overly similar colour patterns? That's my biggest concern here; in all practical sense, player colours exist to differentiate which units belong to which player.

Well my units would be rainbow and polka dot so I don't think anyone will copy it. :D

AJP
07-26-2007, 12:58 PM

I'm not sure. I guess If the server detects that another player has a similar army scheme as the one you made, it might send you back to the editor(not during gameplay, of course. When starting or joining a game). Let's just hope people get original in their army designs, if this feature gets implemented.

Darvin
07-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Colour contrast is a huge issue, and I don't trust an algorithm to solve it well enough.

When it comes to units, you need to be able to tell at a glance if that's your footsoldier or your enemy's footsoldier. That means their colours must be distinct. If one unit is red and black, and the other is black and red, that's no good; most people will need to double-take to make sure they have it right. Alternately, if only one player can be red, it's never ambiguous.

You also need to worry about colour confusion. It's not trivial to decide what constitutes a sufficiant difference between light blue and blue. It's even more difficult when you factor in people (like me) who are red-green colour blind; then you have two completely unrelated colours that are confuseable.

I'm reserved on this feature, as even one oversight and it could become a significant gameplay hinderance.

WhiteHawk
07-26-2007, 03:34 PM
True, and since online I have read somewhere of the potential ability to fight a teammatch of 3 VS 3, the confusion would be even greater. There has to be a way to make you and your teammates seem similar yet distinguishable, and very different looking than your enemies.

If there was an editor, color management in team matches would be a pain in the ass to take care of.

AJP
07-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Oh well, if the dev team decide to include such a feature, I'm sure they can work it out so it plays well. IMO, it just seems kind of bland to play an MMO RTS where possibly hundreds of people are playing at once and the only distinction between them is color. Maybe they can just have patterns. Like checkered uniforms, striped uniforms, zig zag uniforms, polka dots etc.

Darvin
07-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Customizeable patterns are good as far as I'm concerned; I don't care if you decide on some combination of striped pants, checkered shirts, and solid-coloured shields, so long as your colours are not ambiguous next to another player.

Another issue with colours, however, is camouflage. There's a reason players weren't allowed to use the earth tones in ladder on Warcraft III.

Ryan Zelazny
07-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Some of you have maybe noticed the flags on the castles in the screens? We are going to have custom flags, much like the cape system in GuildWars.

Custom unit colors is something we have thought of, but we aren't commited to the idea as of yet. On a side note though, incase of two colours being the same, we could always make it so you have 2 different color variations, much like sports teams have 2 different jerseys. So if the first one blends too much you can go with Colour B.

The Witch King of Angmar
07-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Some of you have maybe noticed the flags on the castles in the screens? We are going to have custom flags, much like the cape system in GuildWars.

Custom unit colors is something we have thought of, but we aren't commited to the idea as of yet. On a side note though, incase of two colours being the same, we could always make it so you have 2 different color variations, much like sports teams have 2 different jerseys. So if the first one blends too much you can go with Colour B.

Sick, I love custom banners. It gives your army a unique look.

SPARROW94
07-27-2007, 03:19 PM
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

jap88
07-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Custom banners sounds good, custom color schemes can be confusig however.

AJP
07-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Some of you have maybe noticed the flags on the castles in the screens? We are going to have custom flags
:confused:
Like changing the emblem on the banners? Or just the pattern?

SPARROW94
07-31-2007, 11:19 PM
well i have been with the xbox live forums for 4 years and i know nothing of this!!!!!!

Darvin
07-31-2007, 11:42 PM
On a side note though, incase of two colours being the same, we could always make it so you have 2 different color variations, much like sports teams have 2 different jerseys. So if the first one blends too much you can go with Colour B.

Well, there's always the possibility in a team game where there is no combination of primary or secondary colours that results in a non-ambiguous colour pattern for each faction. Moreover, you still have to deal with distinguishing which shades are sufficiantly different, and all different types of colour-blindness. Then you have the issue where red/black is confuseable with black/red. Then you have to make certain that colour types do not provide camouflage on certain maps. I think it's much easier and less problem-prone to keep some basic colours, and then allow people to have a variety of patterns.

Ryan Zelazny
08-01-2007, 08:11 AM
:confused:
Like changing the emblem on the banners? Or just the pattern?

You can change both.

SPARROW94
08-01-2007, 09:15 AM
wicked asweome :D

Sharku
08-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Cool, can we design or copy our own emblems or can we only choose from a preset group?

SPARROW94
08-01-2007, 10:40 AM
when im orcs im goiong to have a skull a red skull

Sharku
08-01-2007, 10:46 AM
I can't wait to fight against the first guy who uses a leaf flag for Elves. He is gonna go down so fast there will be a crater where he was sitting.

SPARROW94
08-01-2007, 10:47 AM
hey sharku u have XBL

Sharku
08-01-2007, 10:47 AM
hey sharku u have XBLDo i sound noobish when i ask what that is?

SPARROW94
08-01-2007, 10:48 AM
little bit its xbox live

Sharku
08-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Sorry no i don't. I might get it though if this game proves to be the epicness it's turning out to be.

SPARROW94
08-01-2007, 10:54 AM
i think its full of fantastic epicness

Sharku
08-01-2007, 11:02 AM
i think its full of fantastic epicnessLol why did you ask. Were you planning on making an Elf banner just to tick me off :p

SPARROW94
08-01-2007, 11:06 AM
lol RETREAT

SPARROW94
08-01-2007, 11:22 AM
but my dragon ogres shall defeat you

ShadowyMoon
10-01-2007, 04:48 AM
The flag customisation is a nifty feature but tinkering with your army colors can cause some weird situations in multiplayer if not done properly. There are more important things the devs should focus on and if a lot of people really want something similiar to the MOC editor it can be added in a patch/expansion.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 02:35 PM
The flag customisation is a nifty feature but tinkering with your army colors can cause some weird situations in multiplayer if not done properly. There are more important things the devs should focus on and if a lot of people really want something similiar to the MOC editor it can be added in a patch/expansion.

Good point. They are going to release an expansion later on.