PDA

View Full Version : Squad Captains

Sunleader
02-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Well Idea is pretty much self Explaining
How about giving each Squad a Captain

Currently the Squad Captain is defined by the Game and is a Random Unit
which often causes trouble since it is Killed and then a new Captain gets decided

So adding a Single Captain Unit to the Game might actually be Nice
Theres actually a Unit ingame which might be good for this already
The Soldier Character often seen in Quests as the one Reporting to your Hero might fit this Description well

How about adding one of those "Soldiers" to each Squad (of course each Race having their own Soldier)

I am most well versed in Humans so I.ll limit the Suggestion to them
since I dont know the stats of other Races

For Human the Squad Captain Unit should have slightly more Armor and Health than a Knight while having slightly less Damage than a Knight

Of course the Squad Captain will get increased Speed so he can keep up with each Squad

That would also allow for some more Researches giving the Captain special Traits or Buffing his stats

Well exact stuff can be tought of later on
would like to get some opinion on the basic idea

maybe something like this has always been planned anyways ?

after all we see this Soldier all the Time
he seems to be something like a Lieutnant and makes Reports as well as being the one who talks
so I am pretty sure he was not just made to be a Unit that you only see in Town or doing Quests

Gruber12
02-04-2012, 06:55 AM
I like the idea of a squad captian, where you pay alot for a strong unit that can have 2-3 squads attached to him that he gives slight boosts to and follows him around, would be good for unit formations

buddhist23
02-04-2012, 12:15 PM
A squad captain of 5-6 units? No. Unless its a squad captain of more than 10 units.

Sunleader
02-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Ehm
I think you guys are missing the Point
The Idea of having Leadership Units like Generals and Officers and so on is in another thread

This thread means that a Squad of 20 Swordman has actually 21 man guys because it has 20 Swordman and one Captain
Halberdier Squad has 20 Halberdiers and 1 Captain
Goblin Prowlers have 30 Goblins and one Goblin Captain

The Captain aint an own Unit
its just an additional Soldier to each Squad which will pretty much act as the Squads Head and will be the one doing Squads Abilitys and so on

This Suggestion doesnt have very Heavy Impact on Gameplay
it only gives some more Depth to the Game

selridion
02-04-2012, 02:00 PM
i only like the idea if the squad captain gets a flag ! army's need flags !
cuz flags are pimp !

buddhist23
02-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Ehm
I think you guys are missing the Point
The Idea of having Leadership Units like Generals and Officers and so on is in another thread

This thread means that a Squad of 20 Swordman has actually 21 man guys because it has 20 Swordman and one Captain
Halberdier Squad has 20 Halberdiers and 1 Captain
Goblin Prowlers have 30 Goblins and one Goblin Captain

The Captain aint an own Unit
its just an additional Soldier to each Squad which will pretty much act as the Squads Head and will be the one doing Squads Abilitys and so on

This Suggestion doesnt have very Heavy Impact on Gameplay
it only gives some more Depth to the Game

You missed the point of everyone's post then.

Sunleader
02-05-2012, 03:05 AM
Aww
I tought I just told you to not attack people right away
This sort of Post you just made is once more that aggritating tone that pretty much guarantees a denial response

to be short with the example
something like
"My Thread so my Point if you dislike it get lost"
would be the most likely reaction on my side

Now as a sidenote
I have another Suggestion open
Parallel to this
which pretty much Suggests what you were talking about in your Post

But well whatever
maybe you will one day understand that you wont get far unless you change your tone

knightl
02-05-2012, 03:43 AM
You missed the point of everyone's post then.

his thread is discussing this "How about giving each Squad a Captain" which means he isn't saying the wrong point in the posts since its his idea thats meant to be discussed

buddhist23
02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
his thread is discussing this "How about giving each Squad a Captain" which means he isn't saying the wrong point in the posts since its his idea thats meant to be discussed

You missed the point of that post too. Sun noted that everyone who responded talked about the wrong thing. IN FACT- everyone was talking about captains and squads. It is on topic. So please- before you begin to blindly support a man with an ego- read.

Aww sun, maybe one day your words will have actual meaning- Just telling the truth, and the truth pretty much guarantees a denial from people ( such as yourself Sun)

See? I don't need to butter my words ;]

Sunleader
02-05-2012, 10:44 AM
So I make a Topic and you guys know better what the Point of it is then I do?

On top you accuse me of missing what you mean when I already told you two times that I have another thread Open which is suggesting the thing you mean?

And to end things you claim to be an Honest Person while Insulting me as someone who´se Words have no Meaning?

Either your trying to Insult me because your having Hard Feelings about being Lectured by me
Or your trying to Troll the Topic

But Ok I.ll play along
Then lets check the Case

1. This is my Suggestion and I opened a Thread in which the Topic to be talked about IS indeed my Suggestion
So the Point inside this Topic is my Suggestion
I cant miss the Point since I explained this Suggestion and those kept on Topic
You however Talked about something thats not matching my Suggestion
means you missed the Point since you either misunderstood my Suggestion or actually wanted to make an Own Suggestion which however would mean that you would need to make an own Thread or at least state that your not content with my Suggestion and thus Suggest something yourself

2. You are Contradicting Yourself
You statet something that was not matching my Suggestion
So I explained more clearly what my Suggestion is about.
And I also added that there is a Suggestion which is matching your Point

You Claim that I am missing the Point while offering Critic on me for Verifying the Point

How can I Verify that what you Postet is not matching my Suggestion when I actually didnt realize that it is not matching my Suggestion as you claim ?

3. The Thread is named Squad Captains and is inside the Suggestion Forum
So the Topic is an Suggestion about Squad Captains
The Point of this Thread and thus of this Discussion is therefore clearly my Suggestion
The Name just states what the Suggestion is about
its not the Topic of the Thread mate (Rules advice to name your Suggestion with an Name that Indicates what it is about so this is Conform with Rules)

Mate
Now let me tell you 2 things

Your not speaking the Truth
You Misunderstood and got ****ed about me Correcting you
therefore you tried to cover it up
Thats clearly not how people tell the Truth

Your not an Honest Person
Your Embarassed about me Lecturing you
You cant Admit that I am right so your searching for a way around and in the end you rather Insult me than to back off
Thats clearly not how an Honest Person would act.

Now for the Finish

I never asked you to Butter your Words
Theres three Tones

You can Speak in a way that will Calm others:
---Mate I get your point but I think xxx might also be Importand.---

You can Speak in a neutral way that will neither calm nor aggrevate others:
---Mate I think xxx is an Importand matter here.---

And you can Speak while provoking others which of course will aggrevate them:
---Cant you see your totally talking rubbish Mate? xxx is the importand part for this!---

Now all three Sentences say the Same
Yet the First will get Positive Attention since it States that you understand what your Opponent is talking about
The Last however will make sure that the Opponent wont even be Interested in even Reading your Point.

What I asked you
is to Speak in a Neutral way
neither Sugarcoating nor Provoking others

But you keep the Provokation in your Tone :)

Well then
I hope a Mod will Clean up this Thread
I am neither Interestet in Lecturing People
nor do I want to Discuss Personalitys in my Suggestion Thread

Greetz

Dreamwalker
02-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Anyway...

I'm for the whole squad captain thing, especially if they get flags (and maybe eventually we could design those flags...?).

buddhist23
02-05-2012, 04:06 PM
So I make a Topic and you guys know better what the Point of it is then I do?

On top you accuse me of missing what you mean when I already told you two times that I have another thread Open which is suggesting the thing you mean?

And to end things you claim to be an Honest Person while Insulting me as someone who´se Words have no Meaning?

Either your trying to Insult me because your having Hard Feelings about being Lectured by me
Or your trying to Troll the Topic

But Ok I.ll play along
Then lets check the Case

1. This is my Suggestion and I opened a Thread in which the Topic to be talked about IS indeed my Suggestion
So the Point inside this Topic is my Suggestion
I cant miss the Point since I explained this Suggestion and those kept on Topic
You however Talked about something thats not matching my Suggestion
means you missed the Point since you either misunderstood my Suggestion or actually wanted to make an Own Suggestion which however would mean that you would need to make an own Thread or at least state that your not content with my Suggestion and thus Suggest something yourself

2. You are Contradicting Yourself
You statet something that was not matching my Suggestion
So I explained more clearly what my Suggestion is about.
And I also added that there is a Suggestion which is matching your Point

You Claim that I am missing the Point while offering Critic on me for Verifying the Point

How can I Verify that what you Postet is not matching my Suggestion when I actually didnt realize that it is not matching my Suggestion as you claim ?

3. The Thread is named Squad Captains and is inside the Suggestion Forum
So the Topic is an Suggestion about Squad Captains
The Point of this Thread and thus of this Discussion is therefore clearly my Suggestion
The Name just states what the Suggestion is about
its not the Topic of the Thread mate (Rules advice to name your Suggestion with an Name that Indicates what it is about so this is Conform with Rules)

Mate
Now let me tell you 2 things

Your not speaking the Truth
You Misunderstood and got ****ed about me Correcting you
therefore you tried to cover it up
Thats clearly not how people tell the Truth

Your not an Honest Person
Your Embarassed about me Lecturing you
You cant Admit that I am right so your searching for a way around and in the end you rather Insult me than to back off
Thats clearly not how an Honest Person would act.

Now for the Finish

I never asked you to Butter your Words
Theres three Tones

You can Speak in a way that will Calm others:
---Mate I get your point but I think xxx might also be Importand.---

You can Speak in a neutral way that will neither calm nor aggrevate others:
---Mate I think xxx is an Importand matter here.---

And you can Speak while provoking others which of course will aggrevate them:
---Cant you see your totally talking rubbish Mate? xxx is the importand part for this!---

Now all three Sentences say the Same
Yet the First will get Positive Attention since it States that you understand what your Opponent is talking about
The Last however will make sure that the Opponent wont even be Interested in even Reading your Point.

What I asked you
is to Speak in a Neutral way
neither Sugarcoating nor Provoking others

But you keep the Provokation in your Tone :)

Well then
I hope a Mod will Clean up this Thread
I am neither Interestet in Lecturing People
nor do I want to Discuss Personalitys in my Suggestion Thread

Greetz

Rage. I'm not reading that giant wish list of yours....just shows your ego really lol. If you can't take an opinion, don't make a giant list, ignore it instead. Something so simple,yet so impossible for someone like yourself sun.

OH yeah..next time you want someone to actually read instead of just quoting your list- make it into one nice little paragraph.

But hey, thanks for the suggestion! I think your better off writing fantasy though. ;]
kktysbb

knightl
02-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Rage. I'm not reading that giant wish list of yours....just shows your ego really lol. If you can't take an opinion, don't make a giant list, ignore it instead. Something so simple,yet so impossible for someone like yourself sun.

OH yeah..next time you want someone to actually read instead of just quoting your list- make it into one nice little paragraph.

But hey, thanks for the suggestion! I think your better off writing fantasy though. ;]
kktysbb

don't be rude right after a 3 day ban for trolling it gives bad impressions and about ego's who decided to ignore a list explaining things for you?

buddhist23
02-06-2012, 01:13 PM
don't be rude right after a 3 day ban for trolling it gives bad impressions and about ego's who decided to ignore a list explaining things for you?

It was a rage list. And really, bans are not from god. They are from another human, another person. And bias exist in all people. It's up to you if you decide to take mods seriously and bans seriously as well. I mean, take a look at EA forum bans. Are they always justified? No. So thank you, yet again, for giving me another look into your daily habits of insulting others. Truly remarkable. I'm still waiting for your apology fyi. Still haven't gotten one.

Neinth
02-06-2012, 07:01 PM
I grow tired of this,if I could close this thread I would.

Perfectly fine idea,which should be discussed,and you guys ruin it with your bickering.

State your opinion,explain your stance on such opinion,and clear up any misunderstandings someone may have about it,thats all you need to do.

As for captians,i got a warhammer type vibe from it,not quite hero's but units that can be attached to sqauds providing some sort of bonus.Which I like,and just like warhammer,those types of units should be capped,so not every sqaud has them,just my opinion

knightl
02-06-2012, 08:21 PM
it reminds me of king Arthur 2 which is a great system (earned by kills) which worked fine if worked in properly it could be pretty sweet, but not sure how you could change his stats to be better (might be possible im not too well versed in statistics)

Sunleader
02-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Oh well
Guess he is Simply the Type who cant Learn

Welcome to my Ignore list Buddhist
Your welcome to Stay as long as you like
Enjoy your Stay.

So enough of this
Back to Topic

Yeah
Something along the Lines of Warhammer is much more the Type of Squad Captain that I am talking about.

Something like a Kommissar Attached to an Squad of Imperial Riflemen

Tough I want it to be an Researchable Upgrade for the Unit
not as own Unit to be Attached
(Think that would match the current Game Mechanics better)

Means each Squad would have one after the Research is done for that Squad

Greetz

knightl
02-07-2012, 01:11 AM
Oh well

Enjoy your Stay.

So enough of this
Back to Topic

Yeah
Something along the Lines of Warhammer is much more the Type of Squad Captain that I am talking about.

Greetz

maybe it is aquireable by using points on it as a skill (leadership) and when you reach a certain amount then you get a captain (leader thing)

Sunleader
02-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Well that would also be an Idea
having a Captain in the Squad after the Unit gains certain amount of Experience ^^

selridion
02-07-2012, 07:26 AM
well i personally like the idea of a squad having a captain for aesthetic and "sense of realism" point of view

it be nice to have your squad have a lil guy who leads it
he holds a flag (fk yes flags are pimp)
and spends his time commanding his troops
and like a true captain he just sits there and tells others what to do, cuz well....
if he dies the flag would be gone... which is not acceptable

but from that point of view he doesn't add any combat power to a squad
but is it needed to make him have any combat power ?
if every squad gains a captain then they all gain the same extra power
so you might as well not give him any stats, and just make him aesthetic
because giving him stats or not doesn't make any difference in the power balance

Sunleader
02-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Well i think it should be that Guard Guy with a Flag on his Back
He only has a Sword without any Further Weapons
So he should not be Strong
but he Should be able to take some more Hits then other Soldiers :P
so he doesnt Die so fast
Means he should be Weak at Attack but have Good HP and Armor

Since each Squad has him he will only Drag out Fights a little due to his Armor
He wont have any Influence on the outcome :P

selridion
02-07-2012, 10:10 AM
your basically agreeing with me, but your a lil stuck on the fact you want him to have stats
which then you say yourself having captains wont change the outcome of a fight
whats the point of giving a unit stats, if those stats cancel eachother out

sounds like wasting time and effort on making it that way
you may as well just make the captain a purely aesthetic guy holding a flag or banging some drums ( orcs like drums more then flags)

this reminds me of some other game
to make squads you needed a flag carrier and a drummer :P and a captain and a load of rifleman or whatever type of units you wanted to make a squad out of
and once you got all those ingredients they would fuse together into a squad
forgot what game this was tho :P a old one for sure

Sunleader
02-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Well
Its fine if we Disagree on smaller Parts :P
Its not like Ideas need to Implemented exactly as they were proposed ^^

I basicly want to give him Stats so he can Join Combat
I dislike the Idea of having an Unit in the Field which wont Fight

Means I only want that he has Stats so he looks the Part :)

He could also just Represent the Wholes Squad Life and Die if the Squad goes down or falls below a certain number of Health

Means if he is Damaged the Squad would get Damage spreaded
and his Damage will be same as if a Unit of the Squad was Hitting the Enemy

It could also just be the same Stats as the Squad has

The Only thing I dont want is that there is a Static Guy standing on the Battlefield not Fighting :P

buddhist23
02-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh well

Enjoy your Stay.

So enough of this
Back to Topic

Yeah

Greetz

Rage.

Anyway- Stats for captain is no. Extra unit with visuals = yes. The end. Less work and a lot less balancing to do.

selridion
02-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Rage.

Anyway- Stats for captain is no. Extra unit with visuals = yes. The end. Less work and a lot less balancing to do.

nice to know you agree... with me..
some spicy criticism would be fun as well tho :) for the sake of discussion

buddhist23
02-07-2012, 10:28 PM
nice to know you agree... with me..
some spicy criticism would be fun as well tho :) for the sake of discussion

I am the brain. You are my voice. Now discuss for me.

Sunleader
02-08-2012, 12:47 AM
@selridion
I already said this to the Guy who I got on Ignore now and which I now still can read since you quoted him lol

This Thread is solely about a Squad Captain
for ONE Squad
and which is only there to add to the Atmosphere of the Game

The Suggestion for an Hero Unit with Own Stats supposed to lead your Armys is Here
http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5382

Pls stop mixing it in here ......

buddhist23
02-08-2012, 02:02 PM
@selridion
I already said this to the Guy who I got on Ignore now and which I now still can read since you quoted him lol

This Thread is solely about a Squad Captain
for ONE Squad
and which is only there to add to the Atmosphere of the Game

The Suggestion for an Hero Unit with Own Stats supposed to lead your Armys is Here
http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5382

Pls stop mixing it in here ......

idk what he's saying. Must be delusional if he assumes we're taking about hero units with their own stats...I mean..Sun was talking about that instead of us? lol

Squad Captain for ONE squad...so just one squad? Makes no sense considering the name "squad captain" usually refers to a multiple number of squads...

Squad Captain should be an extra unit /v different visuals, not stats. We're not talking about heroes. Someones way over their head...

selridion
02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
you should both quit it
each time you post a post to point fingers at 1 other is a post wasted on the wrong subject
just keep it on topic or be quiet...

btw about squad captains

what if a pack of archers has a captain... but he is melee ;P
wouldn't that be awkward ?
on other words the captain has to be "same unit type as squad"
or else its gonna be sorta weird

or of course a stationary unit who tells the squad what to do (with his flag) or maybe hands :P
it sure makes it all complicated :P
i think i prefer coop over squad captains after thinking some more of it :)

knightl
02-08-2012, 03:49 PM
you should both quit it
each time you post a post to point fingers at 1 other is a post wasted on the wrong subject
just keep it on topic or be quiet...

btw about squad captains

what if a pack of archers has a captain... but he is melee ;P
wouldn't that be awkward ?
on other words the captain has to be "same unit type as squad"
or else its gonna be sorta weird

or of course a stationary unit who tells the squad what to do (with his flag) or maybe hands :P
it sure makes it all complicated :P
i think i prefer coop over squad captains after thinking some more of it :)

buddhist is arguing against someone and saying things behind his back since he got ignored that says a few things

as for the archers/melee thing maybe if he was always mounted that way its easier to tell the difference (but his speed stays the same as the troops because he doesn't want to break formations and all)

buddhist23
02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
buddhist is arguing against someone and saying things behind his back since he got ignored that says a few things

as for the archers/melee thing maybe if he was always mounted that way its easier to tell the difference (but his speed stays the same as the troops because he doesn't want to break formations and all)

Excuse me, but I insulted anyone or said anything behind anyone's back. In fact, i don't know how you can say anything against someone's back in a FORUM unless it's by PM. ( WHICH, you guys have not taken advantage of ). And really- it's not arguing: it's reaffirming statements and correcting his mistakes. There is a difference. And knight, i'm still waiting for an apology for your screw up a couple weeks ago. Should I put you on ignore too? That'll say a few things as well I suppose. Then again, you're always championing against people who outwit you.

knightl
02-08-2012, 06:56 PM
SNIP

its called ignoring he can't see your posts you obviously aren't too versed with the forums

buddhist23
02-08-2012, 10:38 PM
its called ignoring he can't see your posts you obviously aren't too versed with the forums

So all of a sudden, I am talking behind his back? Obviously you are not well versed in reading and comprehending. I noted that it was literally impossible to talk behind someone's "back" in a public forum. If I was, i would be pming people and insulting him. Which may i remind you, i have yet to verbally abuse anyone. Unlike you Knight. And may I remind you, since you are after all, "still in high school as said by yourself", always provide substance. I am sure one sentence and an insult is not enough to succeed in the world. Feel free to take my advice to the heart. I'm sure you'll come up with another witty comment. But not that's not usually the case.

And where is your apology? You seem to avoid that topic so much. It intrigues me to note how much pride a high school teenager can have!

knightl
02-09-2012, 01:35 AM
SNIP

you know what i learn from my mistakes and i don't believe i owe anyone a apolgy also i have success at school a lot and am proud of it ("still in high school as said by yourself" horrible qoutes)

now if you would please no one cares about some petty little debate don't bring threads off topic any-more then we have already please.

Sunleader
02-09-2012, 03:07 AM
Pls stop Feeding the Troll
he just wants to annoy you to get your attention
so best solution is just ignoring him

@selridion
The Captains Job is not to Actually Fight
In Reality Archers nearly always had a Captain which didnt fire a Bow himself
Often the Captain was not even Schooled at using a Bow himself
He simply gave Commands to Fire at free will or to Fire in Volleys or to Fire all together and so on
means he only Commanded and gave a timing for the Archers

So it wouldnt be Awkward at all
Actually I would prefer it this way over having an Captain that is an Archer himself

Greetz

knightl
02-09-2012, 04:25 AM
as long as he stands out and is earned not bought then i won't care either way (i doubt a important say religious figure like the pope would charge into the middle of a riot in the name of god)

Sunleader
02-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Well I never said let the Squad Captain go up front :P
I am quite Content if he is the last man of the Squad to join the Fray xD

But I also dont plan him to be the most Importand Person
He is just a Squad Captain
not some General

He is the Leader of 10-30 Guys
he is far away from being a Hero or being a high Ranking Officer in Command of 200 Sodiers :P

knightl
02-09-2012, 05:53 AM
Well I never said let the Squad Captain go up front :P
I am quite Content if he is the last man of the Squad to join the Fray xD

But I also dont plan him to be the most Importand Person
He is just a Squad Captain
not some General

He is the Leader of 10-30 Guys
he is far away from being a Hero or being a high Ranking Officer in Command of 200 Sodiers :P

fine the pope might be a bit of a bad example....

but i know what you mean a officer of some sort controlling a small squad of men(or whatever race) and only fights if engaged (so he doesn't charge into the fray unless he himself is attacked)

Sunleader
02-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Well something like that

I dont know the English word for that Rank

But usually theres a Commander which will decide which Squad will do
But the Commander wont tell each Soldier what to do he will only Order the Squad to Fullfill the Mission

then there is usually an Officer in each Squad that will decide how each Soldier of the Squad will move to fullfill the Orders given by the Commander

and lastly there is the Soldier who will follow those Orders

We call it

Offizier / Officer
Unteroffizier / If you Translate it just by the word it would mean "Subofficer"
Mannschaft / Crew (German Soldier Rank is entitlet as Crew Rank dont know why ^^)

Now that Squad Captain should only be this small Subofficer who manages the Squad
(which at the moment is done by the Squad itself after all you can still only Order the Squad you can order each Soldier)

And well yes I guess its fine if he Only Attacks when he is Attacked
I dont mind him Fighting as well tough
the Lieutnant usually also carrys a Weapon and Fights after all
but he wont be the one on the foremost Front :P
he will usually be the Center of the Squad ^^

selridion
02-09-2012, 07:41 AM
im confused now..
i thought you wanted the captains to fight..
now your saying they shouldn't
im aware captains lead there squads
that's why i said they may as well have no hp and just be there for looks only
just let them be some guy who waves his sword to signal attacks and such

anyways i get the feeling were talking around in circles right now xD

Sunleader
02-09-2012, 08:37 AM
I want em to Fight :)

Not Fighting and not Jumping right into the Fray are two different things

I want em to have their Own Stats or Share the Squads Stats
and I want em to Fight

But that doesnt mean I want em to stand right frontal against the Enemy Line

Just like a Captain he Should stay a little behind his Squad or at the Center of his Squad
means he wont Fight unless he must :)

A Squadleader in Real Armys also has a Gun
and he will use it if he gets an enemy in range or if he himself gets dragged into Combat
but he wont be running at Enemys or try to get into the Battle

Right now it is like that

Your Squad sees an Enemy and will start Charging at it
means it will Run towards the Enemy to Attack
now while I dont em doing that
the Squad Captain should be a little Different :)
He should not start to Run or Charge he should simply continue to walk towards the Enemys
means that he will be the last or at least one of the last Men in the Squad to join the Fight

in best case he wont be Fighting since all Enemys are occupied by the Squad
of course if the enemy has higher Numbers he will also Join the Fight

selridion
02-09-2012, 05:28 PM
tbh you know what this game lacks most ?
formations

and not just your units lining up in a square instead of a line

no formations which they keep...
in combat as well

so when 2 army's clash only the units clashing will fight and the ones behind will stay in formation
this way you can set up the captain in the center of the formation and he will only die if the formation fails :p

then again... dawn of fantasy is sorta middle ages... back then they all fought like a rowdy bunch :P

buddhist23
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
im confused now..
i thought you wanted the captains to fight..
now your saying they shouldn't
im aware captains lead there squads
that's why i said they may as well have no hp and just be there for looks only
just let them be some guy who waves his sword to signal attacks and such

anyways i get the feeling were talking around in circles right now xD

They don't know what they're talking about and yet they're expanding beyond the said topic. Now they're talking about how squad captains should fight what instead of "SHOULD WE HAVE SQUAD CAPTAINS?"

Just what you expect from hypocritical people who don't know how to apologize or own up to their mistakes. and it is very amusing to see Sun comment on me when he "should" have me on ignore. He should be doing what he's doing, ignoring me instead of acknowledging me. But hey, it's fine if kids in high school want to have an ego. Besides, I don't believe i'm trolling. The only people getting mad here is Knight/Sun. You guys won't even pm me to sort it out. How immature. Still waiting on an apology from you Knight too. Slandering is illegal in the real world btw.

knightl
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
tbh you know what this game lacks most ?
formations

and not just your units lining up in a square instead of a line

no formations which they keep...
in combat as well

so when 2 army's clash only the units clashing will fight and the ones behind will stay in formation
this way you can set up the captain in the center of the formation and he will only die if the formation fails :p

then again... dawn of fantasy is sorta middle ages... back then they all fought like a rowdy bunch :P

pathfinding might include something like this as controlled movements will keep them the way they are when they meet (depends if thats what joe is focusing it on)

Blizzy
02-25-2012, 06:41 AM

they didnt, they had there battle mechanics pretty much down

the problem with military in medieval times was that often 10-30 % of the army was mercenaries, knights and royalty and professional soldiers and the rest were just peasants with pitchforks and other battle-adapted farming tools (for example archers were mostly farmers and hunters that got drafted in name of the king)

although the peasantry mostly had no military training, and thus rarely used any formation other then "stay close to your flag" any other had very sophisticated military strategy (some directly inherited from the romans)