PDA

View Full Version : About the webpage

Perkons
01-29-2012, 04:04 AM
My advice is very simple , create a web page that would look like a MMO website :)
Something more attractive.
Your current page isnt that bad , but it looks like the game would still be in closed beta or some exclusive preview phase.

Joseph Visscher
01-29-2012, 10:36 AM
we are open to suggestions, but your comments are not very informative, make take a pic of it and show us what you dislike and what you think would be better, give examples of these mmo websites.

szebus
01-29-2012, 10:59 AM
If it is to make a new page than in my opinion the book was a great page back then.

Perkons
01-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Well, there are many different webpages , but most of them share the same basics ...
battleforge.com - the game is officialy launched , you can tell that by visiting theyr page.
forgeofempires.com - the game is in the exclusive preview phase ( in witch I am myself ), you can tell that from theyr page.

What im trying to say here , you should start presenting the game in the best way you can.
And one of the best ways is to have a great website , good facebook and twitter community.

buddhist23
01-29-2012, 03:01 PM
True...webpage is neat. Just not eye popping or attracting.

Dreamwalker
01-29-2012, 04:08 PM
I think what he's trying to say is...brown is boring. :p

Other websites have blues and greens and reds; for dof, it's pretty much just brown.

Joseph Visscher
01-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Well, there are many different webpages , but most of them share the same basics ...
battleforge.com - the game is officialy launched , you can tell that by visiting theyr page.
forgeofempires.com - the game is in the exclusive preview phase ( in witch I am myself ), you can tell that from theyr page.

What im trying to say here , you should start presenting the game in the best way you can.
And one of the best ways is to have a great website , good facebook and twitter community.

See those are opinions, I actually see those sites as being lower than dof's visually, moreso battleforge.com looks really low budget to me,,, yet it probably isn't. forgeofempires.com looks okay.

Like I Said, its opinion.

@Dreamwalker are you racist towards brown?

buddhist23
01-29-2012, 07:54 PM
The brown is ugly. You have this nice picture and then..this ugly brown?

battleforge.com does not look like it was made with a dollar. It looks..neat but as the same time retro and fitting to battleforge.

Perkons
01-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Anyway this isnt a huge problem , its not like the webpage would be the nr 1 concern right now :)

selridion
01-30-2012, 04:58 PM
i guess the dawn of fantasy webpage is not flashy
or should i say "artsy"
i guess the design is very simple, some art as background with brown squares filled with text

maybe the battleforge site ain't the best example around because that game... is not loved by its publisher :P (iv played it in the past and... well... the low amount of patches and love that game gets suggest there is some serous profit problems)

http://www.runescape.com/
i find this website quite "artsy"
it looks like a painting... which is a billboard at the same time :P

http://www.wurmonline.com/
this website is like the DoF website
not very "artsy"
just some squares with text in it

im guessing this is what perkons was after

Neinth
02-05-2012, 06:44 PM
The top of the pages look rather nice imo

Its after you scroll down a bit it gets not quite so pretty.

I;d think the background picture,bordeline "burnt map" style would would nicely,,just have it follow scroll so its always there.

I'm not a huge fan of the brown in the background myself,though the semi-transparent for the text looks fine to me.

Would think a nice textured tan-ish color would be nice,like an old book or map,that fades into background picture with burn-like effect would work well.

Would also move some of the tool bars around some,the community/home/about/ect ect is blocking the "main" dragon in the picture,but if the background image scrolled with the page,it wouldnt matter

I think "background-attachment:scroll;" would go a long ways if put under body section.

buddhist23
02-05-2012, 08:48 PM
The top of the pages look rather nice imo

Its after you scroll down a bit it gets not quite so pretty.

I;d think the background picture,bordeline "burnt map" style would would nicely,,just have it follow scroll so its always there.

I'm not a huge fan of the brown in the background myself,though the semi-transparent for the text looks fine to me.

Would think a nice textured tan-ish color would be nice,like an old book or map,that fades into background picture with burn-like effect would work well.

Would also move some of the tool bars around some,the community/home/about/ect ect is blocking the "main" dragon in the picture,but if the background image scrolled with the page,it wouldnt matter

I think "background-attachment:scroll;" would go a long ways if put under body section.

or make the bottom a transition of "underground" - where the undead fight dwarves compared to orks vs humans on the surface. AWESOMENESS

Konstantin Fomenko
02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
From what I heard so far - looks like most of you would agree we should keep the site as is - but make the background stay on the screen all the time - so if you scroll down you never see the ugly brown - but always see the background picture. I`ll run this by our webmaster to see if that`s doable.

Neinth
02-06-2012, 07:56 PM
background-attachment:scroll;

based on source code i think it shoudl work,but i dont do websites so not 100%

selridion
02-07-2012, 08:31 AM
tbh in the end its just a website
looks are nice and all but...
when i visit a website its not to look at a colorful screen but to find information im looking for
that's whats important in the end (for me at least)

Novakiller
02-07-2012, 08:45 AM
In my opinion, the site is perfectly fine, it just needs some slight tweaking as a homepage, forums are fantastic dont need to change anything, at the moment the main homepage is more of an advertisement for the game with the community forums attached to it, what we could do is add some mroe info on the actual game itself, giving specifics on certain units for each race for example, DOF editors, trips and tactics sections, Guides to how the new skill point systems works, was a bit confused as to how the crossboymen and archers were effected by "ammo" skillpoint untill it was mentioned what it actually did on the chats heh, info on the different starting places for each race as well, even though it might be in game, i think it would still be nice to add that stuff on the website. Just some simple stuff here and there, nothing major

buddhist23
02-07-2012, 04:12 PM
tbh in the end its just a website
looks are nice and all but...
when i visit a website its not to look at a colorful screen but to find information im looking for
that's whats important in the end (for me at least)

Visuals make it pleasing